NATION

PASSWORD

Am i literally the only Trump supporter on NS?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who do you support in the 2016 Election

Donald Trump
35%
Hilary Clinton
22%
Gary Johnson
13%
Jill Stein
13%
Write-in Ballot
3%
None of the above
13%

Total votes : 598

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:40 pm

United States Kingdom wrote:Even though most of NS users are American, I would state that if I were in America, I support Jill Stein.

The very epitome of a wasted vote, who is cynically manipulating progressives/Sanders supporters to get them to back her against their own self-interest.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Right-wing Utopia

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:44 pm

Ifreann wrote:You're not. If you read the relevant megathread you'd know that.

I expected NSG-blr and all the Trump threads to be an immature Trump-bashing circle jerk where the Trump supporters are looked down as ignorant and poorly educated. The idea that there are more Trumpets than it seems is shocking to me.
Jesus loves you and died for you!
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter
"NOOKULAR" STOCKPILE: 701,033 fission and dropping, 7 fusion.
CM wrote:Have I reached peak enlightened centrism yet? I'm getting chills just thinking about taking an actual position.

Proctopeo wrote:anarcho-von habsburgism

Lillorainen wrote:"Tengri's balls, [do] boys really never grow up?!"
Nuroblav wrote:On the contrary! Seize the means of ROBOT ARMS!
News ticker (updated 4/6/2024 AD):

As TS adapts to new normal, large flagellant sects remain -|- TurtleShroom forfeits imperial dignity -|- "Skibidi Toilet" creator awarded highest artistic honor for contributions to wholesome family entertainment (obscene gestures cut out)

United States Kingdom
Minister

Founded: Jun 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United States Kingdom » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:48 pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:
United States Kingdom wrote:Even though most of NS users are American, I would state that if I were in America, I support Jill Stein.

The very epitome of a wasted vote, who is cynically manipulating progressives/Sanders supporters to get them to back her against their own self-interest.

How? She has the right to run if she wants to, and one can argue the same about Clinton. After all, she says she is a progressive, but Hillary Clinton's record shows that she does not support progressive values. FYI, she also has been trying to reach out to Sanders supporters as well. Same goes for Trump. It's a common tactic to try to reach out to certain groups in election campaigns through ads, and so on. I fail to see how she is 'manipulating' progressives.

Dream Rua
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dream Rua » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:06 pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:The very epitome of a wasted vote, who is cynically manipulating progressives/Sanders supporters to get them to back her against their own self-interest.

How is a progressive telling progressive, "Hey, I'm a progressive," cynically manipulating progressives? I know several Sanders supporters who make the argument that voting for Hillary is, though better than Trump, against their own self-interest. I don't find it cynical or self-defeating to convince others to vote for the candidate who best addresses their concerns. Saying otherwise is exactly the kind of political "settling" that both the Sanders supporters and Trump supporters have been railing against.
Last edited by Dream Rua on Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United States Kingdom
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United States Kingdom » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:07 pm

Dream Rua wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:The very epitome of a wasted vote, who is cynically manipulating progressives/Sanders supporters to get them to back her against their own self-interest.

How is a progressive telling progressive, "Hey, I'm a progressive," cynically manipulating progressives? I know several Sanders supporters who make the argument that voting for Hillary is, though better than Trump, against their own self-interest. I don't fit it cynical or self-defeating to convince others to vote for the candidate who best addresses their concerns. Saying otherwise is exactly the kind of political "settling" that both the Sanders supporters and Trump supporters have been railing against.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby SaintB » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:14 pm

To further elaborate, the Green Party is a not a serious enough party to be voting for in a Presidential Election. Sure they have a right to run candidates the same as everybody else but consider that Green Party candidates are only represented in a few states and for less than 120 of around 50,000 open government positions across the country and isn't even on the ballot in like 48 states voting for Jill Stein is just a wasted vote.
Dream Rua wrote:

How is a progressive telling progressive, "Hey, I'm a progressive," cynically manipulating progressives? I know several Sanders supporters who make the argument that voting for Hillary is, though better than Trump, against their own self-interest. I don't fit it cynical or self-defeating to convince others to vote for the candidate who best addresses their concerns. Saying otherwise is exactly the kind of political "settling" that both the Sanders supporters and Trump supporters have been railing against.

Its a cynical manipulation because Jill Stein is a candidate with no chance to win but is attempting to court voters anyway.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby SaintB » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:15 pm

United States Kingdom wrote:

How? She has the right to run if she wants to, and one can argue the same about Clinton. After all, she says she is a progressive, but Hillary Clinton's record shows that she does not support progressive values. FYI, she also has been trying to reach out to Sanders supporters as well. Same goes for Trump. It's a common tactic to try to reach out to certain groups in election campaigns through ads, and so on. I fail to see how she is 'manipulating' progressives.

The USA has a really fucked up idea of progressive.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Jochizyd Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Jochizyd Republic » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:17 pm

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:

I expected NSG-blr and all the Trump threads to be an immature Trump-bashing circle jerk where the Trump supporters are looked down as ignorant and poorly educated. The idea that there are more Trumpets than it seems is shocking to me.

The notion that the site is mostly liberal is ludicrous. The site has all kinds of people. Leftist sensibilities aren't exactly the majority.
The Sons and Daughters of Jochi Ride Out Again!
For The Khan! For The State! For Faith and For Heritage!
Muslim and Tengrist Clerical Fascist State. Not my rl views.

Just Call Me Joch.
Jochistan reincarnated. Destroyed for my sins at 9300+ Posts.
See Space, You Cowboy

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:21 pm

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:

Well? I am still waiting for a Trumpet to explain how Trump will mass create jobs for them.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

United States Kingdom
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United States Kingdom » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:21 pm

SaintB wrote:

To further elaborate, the Green Party is a not a serious enough party to be voting for in a Presidential Election. Sure they have a right to run candidates the same as everybody else but consider that Green Party candidates are only represented in a few states and for less than 120 of around 50,000 open government positions across the country and isn't even on the ballot in like 48 states voting for Jill Stein is just a wasted vote.
Dream Rua wrote:

Its a cynical manipulation because Jill Stein is a candidate with no chance to win but is attempting to court voters anyway.

And one can argue that Hillary Clinton is also manipulating voters by stating she will "fight the big banks" yet some of them funnel a lot of money to her campaign. Same goes for the fact that she has lied about a whole host of things(such as gay marriage), and she stopped supporting the TPP when she was supporting it and called it the "golden standard" of trade agreements. Fact is that she has lied a lot, and that can be shown in her record. So far from what I've heard, I fail to see how she is manipulating voters. You are also assuming voters can't make their own proper, informed decision. If they want to vote for Jill Stein, they can do that.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby SaintB » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:25 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
TURTLESHROOM II wrote:

Well? I am still waiting for a Trumpet to explain how Trump will mass create jobs for them.

By building a giant border wall that will never exist.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby SaintB » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:34 pm

SaintB wrote:To further elaborate, the Green Party is a not a serious enough party to be voting for in a Presidential Election. Sure they have a right to run candidates the same as everybody else but consider that Green Party candidates are only represented in a few states and for less than 120 of around 50,000 open government positions across the country and isn't even on the ballot in like 48 states voting for Jill Stein is just a wasted vote.

And one can argue that Hillary Clinton is also manipulating voters by stating she will "fight the big banks" yet some of them funnel a lot of money to her campaign. Same goes for the fact that she has lied about a whole host of things(such as gay marriage), and she stopped supporting the TPP when she was supporting it and called it the "golden standard" of trade agreements. Fact is that she has lied a lot, and that can be shown in her record. So far from what I've heard, I fail to see how she is manipulating voters. You are also assuming voters can't make their own proper, informed decision. If they want to vote for Jill Stein, they can do that.

They can vote for Jill Stein if they want but she's a candidate that is not represented in 90% of the nation, belongs to a party that many people have never even heard of, and will not win a presidential race, not now or not ever.

Hillary is an absolutely shitty candidate, a wishy washy psuedoconservative authoritarian that is trying to sound like (the American idea of) a progressive to get people to vote for her. The sad truth is however A. Gary Johnson is just a Republican who got on the legal weed train and is running as a Libertarian, B. Donald Trump is a bumbling moron with no actual solid policy positions to speak of and joined a party that wants to undo the last 40 years of civil progress. C.) Jill Stein can't win D.) Vermin Supreme is not serious about being president. That means E.) Hillary is a damage reduction candidate.

United States Kingdom
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United States Kingdom » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:40 pm

SaintB wrote:

They can vote for Jill Stein if they want but she's a candidate that is not represented in 90% of the nation, belongs to a party that many people have never even heard of, and will not win a presidential race, not now or not ever.

Hillary is an absolutely shitty candidate, a wishy washy psuedoconservative authoritarian that is trying to sound like (the American idea of) a progressive to get people to vote for her. The sad truth is however A. Gary Johnson is just a Republican who got on the legal weed train and is running as a Libertarian, B. Donald Trump is a bumbling moron with no actual solid policy positions to speak of and joined a party that wants to undo the last 40 years of civil progress. C.) Jill Stein can't win D.) Vermin Supreme is not serious about being president. That means E.) Hillary is a damage reduction candidate.

The reason mostly why people haven't heard of her is b/c the USA has a two party system, and one can honestly make the argument that the Democrats, and Republicans aren't that different, as they are supported(at least in terms of their Presidential candidate) mostly by the people they claim to fight against. I also never stated Supreme will be president, as he actually isn't a serious candidate. Your original point about her manipulating voters isn't true. All I'm hearing from you is "Hillary Clinton is shit, but out of the two candidates, she is the least shittiest", at least from the main point of your paragraph.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby SaintB » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:45 pm

SaintB wrote:They can vote for Jill Stein if they want but she's a candidate that is not represented in 90% of the nation, belongs to a party that many people have never even heard of, and will not win a presidential race, not now or not ever.

The reason mostly why people haven't heard of her is b/c the USA has a two party system, and one can honestly make the argument that the Democrats, and Republicans aren't that different, as they are supported(at least in terms of their Presidential candidate) mostly by the people they claim to fight against. I also never stated Supreme will be president, as he actually isn't a serious candidate. Your original point about her manipulating voters isn't true. All I'm hearing from you is "Hillary Clinton is shit, but out of the two candidates, she is the least shittiest", at least from the main point of your paragraph.

People haven't heard of the Green Party because its a tiny party. Most of the Green Party's elected officials are Dog Catchers and Postmaster Generals and the like. They hold less than 120 offices and have their hats in about 120 more. They are not big enough to support an actual presidential bid.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:46 pm

Hey. This guy gets it.

United States Kingdom
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United States Kingdom » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:51 pm

SaintB wrote:

People haven't heard of the Green Party because its a tiny party. Most of the Green Party's elected officials are Dog Catchers and Postmaster Generals and the like. They hold less than 120 offices and have their hats in about 120 more. They are not big enough to support an actual presidential bid.

I'm watching Bernie speak. I will reply to this tmr.

Republican Union of America
Attaché

Founded: May 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Republican Union of America » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:56 pm

No, don't be daft. Trump '16.
In 1800, the United States collapsed due to a weakened federal government. The Southern states seceded. The Northern states consolidated into the Republican Union, and became forever cursed by a revanchist desire to re-unite the former United States. This revanchism manifested itself in increasingly violent and racist ways, and by the 1890s, the RU was a full-fledged fascist dictatorship. Does not take kindly to Irishmen, Slavs, or Southrons. Population is also heavily doped up on cocaine.

ALL HAIL!

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:56 pm

SaintB wrote:

It's not that people haven't heard of the Green Party. They just don't care for it. The same goes with most third parties. Because they are not filled with moderation. A moderate doesn't form a Socialist Party, he doesn't form a Constitutional one, or a Libertarian one. Only an ideological fanatic does. Frankly, that's the reason why their platforms are so batshit crazy. They created and embraced by purists and only purists.
Last edited by Mike the Progressive on Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:02 pm

Republican Union of America wrote:No, don't be daft. Trump '16.

Here's my problem with Trump. America is a flawed place, but it is also a great place. Our foreign policy, while full of mistakes, regrets and sins, has done great things. Everything from the UN to NATO to the WTO have given the world a largely positive impact compared to what would have happened had they not existed. NAFTA and the TPP, while not great, have and will provide economic growth. It will benefit the wealthy, yes, but it will benefit countries with workers that can make goods at a cheaper rate and it will benefit the consumer who can buy those goods at a cheaper cost. The scary part to me with the GOP establishment is how they've casually embraced Trump despite him saying things that go against what the GOP is about. It scares me and disappoints me that the GOP has embraced isolationism and mercantilism. It scares me that a large chunk of America has.

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Republican Union of America » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:06 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:
Republican Union of America wrote:No, don't be daft. Trump '16.

Here's my problem with Trump. America is a flawed place, but it is also a great place. Our foreign policy, while full of mistakes, regrets and sins, has done great things. Everything from the UN to NATO to the WTO have given the world a largely positive impact compared to what would have happened had they not existed. NAFTA and the TPP, while not great, have and will provide economic growth. It will benefit the wealthy, yes, but it will benefit countries with workers that can make goods at a cheaper rate and it will benefit the consumer who can buy those goods at a cheaper cost. The scary part to me with the GOP establishment is how they've casually embraced Trump despite him saying things that go against what the GOP is about. It scares me and disappoints me that the GOP has embraced isolationism and mercantilism. It scares me that a large chunk of America has.

Your flag is funny because Richard Nixon's role in the Republican Union is that he's essentially more bad ass version of Joseph Goebbels, a propaganda minister for the government, until he launches a coup in the 1970s that is...

Anyways, I welcome that America is finally embracing nationalism. To hell with the neoliberal, hawkish globalism of old. The Bush era is over and it deserves to die.
In 1800, the United States collapsed due to a weakened federal government. The Southern states seceded. The Northern states consolidated into the Republican Union, and became forever cursed by a revanchist desire to re-unite the former United States. This revanchism manifested itself in increasingly violent and racist ways, and by the 1890s, the RU was a full-fledged fascist dictatorship. Does not take kindly to Irishmen, Slavs, or Southrons. Population is also heavily doped up on cocaine.

ALL HAIL!

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:10 pm

Republican Union of America wrote:

Your flag is funny because Richard Nixon's role in the Republican Union is that he's essentially more bad ass version of Joseph Goebbels, a propaganda minister for the government, until he launches a coup in the 1970s that is...

Anyways, I welcome that America is finally embracing nationalism. To hell with the neoliberal, hawkish globalism of old. The Bush era is over and it deserves to die.

Not to go off track, but how the fuck is Nixon anything like Goebbels? Truly. I want to know the twisted logic here.

As for nationalism, I have no problem with it. Teddy Roosevelt was a nationalist. However he recognized the important role America has to play on the global scene. America has been a force for good in this world. It helped liberate Europe and parts of Asia after WW2. While it has involved itself in tragic wars with no end in sight, the intent was not malicious. And the benefits, while minimal perhaps to you and me, means something to the many in the Middle East.
Last edited by Mike the Progressive on Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:11 pm

Trump supporters finally have something to be thrilled about. Trump has enjoyed a big enough post convention bounce to get ahead in the polls against Hillary. But I don't want to cheer just yet because I have a feeling that it will be short lived and that he perhaps won't be able to hold the lead. I'm prepared for whatever happens at this point.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Republican Union of America » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:19 pm

Not to go off track, but how the fuck is Nixon anything like Goebbels? Truly. I want to know the twisted logic here.

The whole world of the Republican Union is twisted. Joseph Stalin was an American and John F. Kennedy was literally Hitler.

And Nixon was an actor turned propaganda minister...turned dictator.

Mike the Progressive wrote:As for nationalism, I have no problem with it. Teddy Roosevelt was a nationalist. However he recognized the important role America has to play on the global scene. America has been a force for good in this world. It helped liberate Europe and parts of Asia after WW2. While it has involved itself in tragic wars with no end in sight, the intent was not malicious. And the benefits, while minimal perhaps to you and me, means something to the many in the Middle East.

But don't think you post-Cold War foreign policy of the GOP has been pretty bad for Americans and it's refreshing to see it disappear. I really don't know who has benefited from the Iraq War.

ALL HAIL!

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:23 pm

But don't think you post-Cold War foreign policy of the GOP has been pretty bad for Americans and it's refreshing to see it disappear. I really don't know who has benefited from the Iraq War.

It has been imperfect. It's true the Iraq War was an unnecessary distraction, but don't act like Saddam was a saint. He was butcher and a monster. But that mistake doesn't discredit the good things the US has done since the Berlin wall fell down.

Freefall11111
Negotiator

Founded: May 31, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Freefall11111 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:28 pm

As for nationalism, I have no problem with it. Teddy Roosevelt was a nationalist. However he recognized the important role America has to play on the global scene. America has been a force for good in this world. It helped liberate Europe and parts of Asia after WW2. While it has involved itself in tragic wars with no end in sight, the intent was not malicious. And the benefits, while minimal perhaps to you and me, means something to the many in the Middle East.

The intent was also not to be a benevolent military power. The US, like every state, fights for its own interests. It's just that often said interests coincide with other states' and other people's interests. That's basic geopolitics.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General