NATION

PASSWORD

Abortion in Texas Fully Legal Again

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:25 pm

Laurasia wrote:
Galloism wrote:

There is a difference between abortion and between life-saving surgery. Abortion is the termination of a human life, within the womb of another person. Surgery, on the other hand, involves an effort to save life. Individuals, who find that they are a match for someone else, freely cooperate together to have the necessary treatments performed. It is recognized that no one can be forced to adhere to such procedures. As regards to abortion, there are alternatives. Alternatives in that the child can be given up for adoption, that the woman can use birth control, etc. Abortions can be permitted if the woman's health is in absolute jeopardy, or if the pregnancy is the result of rape or incest. But anything beyond that is illogical and wrong. You cannot compare saving a person's life to destroying it.

False, abortion is the termination of a pregnancy.
Adoption implies that the woman was forced to carry the pregnancy out against her will, unacceptable.
Birth control is great and works very well in states that actually encourage and teach about it, southern states have some of the highest teen pregnancy AND abortion rates because of their severe negligence in contraception and education.
Fix those and unwanted pregnancies will plummet.
Last edited by Genivaria on Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laurasia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Laurasia » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:27 pm

Galloism wrote:
Laurasia wrote:There is a difference between abortion and between life-saving surgery. Abortion is the termination of a human life,

Actually, abortion is the termination of support from another person's body. Death is the inevitable result of such termination of support.

within the womb of another person. Surgery, on the other hand, involves an effort to save life. Individuals, who find that they are a match for someone else, freely cooperate together to have the necessary treatments performed. It is recognized that no one can be forced to adhere to such procedures. As regards to abortion, there are alternatives. Alternatives in that the child can be given up for adoption, that the woman can use birth control, etc. Abortions can be permitted if the woman's health is in absolute jeopardy, or if the pregnancy is the result of rape or incest. But anything beyond that is illogical and wrong. You cannot compare saving a person's life to destroying it.

So my life doesn't matter to you?

You don't value all life enough to force people against their will to use their own bodies to save the lives of others?

I have to ask a very sensitive question here. If any of you are women, then I apologize for any offense which may lay in my words. I have only been arguing for what I strongly believe is the right in this case. I have argued that due to biological, religious, political, and ethical considerations, abortion is inherently wrong. I have proposed alternatives; I have sought to explain my views; and I have made comparisons to other situations. I have answered all of your questions. Do not think that my views about abortion imply some fanatical belief in "male supremacy" or in denying women their rights. Everyone is fully equal under our Constitution, and has the right to pursue their lives in a free and democratic society. Should not that same opportunity be given to the unborn?
The Galactic Empire of Laurasia
Emperor: Lysimachus II
FT nation (or at least trying)
Originally the nations of Royal Calathonia and Bristain & Ireland: on this game since August 29, 2010

Factbook: http://fiction.wikia.com/wiki/Laurasian_Empire

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:27 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Laurasia wrote:There is a difference between abortion and between life-saving surgery. Abortion is the termination of a human life, within the womb of another person. Surgery, on the other hand, involves an effort to save life. Individuals, who find that they are a match for someone else, freely cooperate together to have the necessary treatments performed. It is recognized that no one can be forced to adhere to such procedures. As regards to abortion, there are alternatives. Alternatives in that the child can be given up for adoption, that the woman can use birth control, etc. Abortions can be permitted if the woman's health is in absolute jeopardy, or if the pregnancy is the result of rape or incest. But anything beyond that is illogical and wrong. You cannot compare saving a person's life to destroying it.

False, abortion is the termination of a pregnancy.

Indeed, there are those preemies who have survived abortion. If that happens then doctors are required by law to attempt to keep the preemie alive.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:30 pm

Laurasia wrote:
Galloism wrote:
Actually, abortion is the termination of support from another person's body. Death is the inevitable result of such termination of support.

You don't value all life enough to force people against their will to use their own bodies to save the lives of others?

I have to ask a very sensitive question here. If any of you are women, then I apologize for any offense which may lay in my words. I have only been arguing for what I strongly believe is the right in this case. I have argued that due to biological, religious, political, and ethical considerations, abortion is inherently wrong. I have proposed alternatives; I have sought to explain my views; and I have made comparisons to other situations. I have answered all of your questions. Do not think that my views about abortion imply some fanatical belief in "male supremacy" or in denying women their rights. Everyone is fully equal under our Constitution, and has the right to pursue their lives in a free and democratic society. Should not that same opportunity be given to the unborn?

Everyone is equal, yes. The woman is equal to the fetus, and the fetus is in the woman's body against her consent. Therefore by law she should be able to remove it. They are both equal after all.

How hard is that to understand?
Last edited by Pandeeria on Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:30 pm

Laurasia wrote:
Galloism wrote:

You have claimed these things without supporting them, and surprise surprise people here disagree with you. You have not proposed alternatives, as right now there are literally no alternative for an unwanted pregnancy, as has been explained to you. We have not said it was male supremacy, we have said it is denying women their rights because it is. Sure, but then no one has the right to attach themselves or to be inside a woman against the will of the woman, so if we were to treat fetuses equally, abortion would be legal.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:33 pm

Laurasia wrote:
Galloism wrote:

Let's suppose the unborn have the same rights as grown adults from conception. Let's assume that. I have no problem arguing from that premise.

Under what circumstances does any born person have the right to use another person's body against their will? Be specific.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Laurasia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Laurasia » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:37 pm

Galloism wrote:
Laurasia wrote:

Let's suppose the unborn have the same rights as grown adults from conception. Let's assume that. I have no problem arguing from that premise.

Under what circumstances does any born person have the right to use another person's body against their will? Be specific.

By "born person", that means that that individual should not tamper with a pregnancy unless if it places the mother's life in serious jeopardy, or it arose from rape or incest. These are very reasonable exceptions, and exceptions which can be effectively enforced. Anything else should not be permitted. This article, http://liveactionnews.org/10-reasons-no ... -abortion/, lists the reasons as to why abortion is wrong and indeed harmful to women. It does not empower them in any way. And it does not contribute effective benefits to society.
Originally the nations of Royal Calathonia and Bristain & Ireland: on this game since August 29, 2010

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:40 pm

Laurasia wrote:
Galloism wrote:Let's suppose the unborn have the same rights as grown adults from conception. Let's assume that. I have no problem arguing from that premise.

By "born person", that means that that individual should not tamper with a pregnancy unless if it places the mother's life in serious jeopardy, or it arose from rape or incest. These are very reasonable exceptions, and exceptions which can be effectively enforced. Anything else should not be permitted. This article, http://liveactionnews.org/10-reasons-no ... -abortion/, lists the reasons as to why abortion is wrong and indeed harmful to women. It does not empower them in any way. And it does not contribute effective benefits to society.

The article is full of shit.
Nothing but emotional appeals and baseless assumptions mean't to guilt trip.
Not impressed.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:40 pm

Laurasia wrote:
Galloism wrote:Let's suppose the unborn have the same rights as grown adults from conception. Let's assume that. I have no problem arguing from that premise.

That's not what I asked you. I asked you under what circumstances a born person has the right to use another born person's body against their will. We're arguing from the premise the unborn have the same rights as the born.

Be specific. Under what circumstances do I have the legal right to use your body against your will?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:41 pm

Galloism wrote:
Laurasia wrote:

That's not what I asked you. I asked you under what circumstances a born person has the right to use another born person's body against their will. We're arguing from the premise the unborn have the same rights as the born.

Be specific. Under what circumstances do I have the legal right to use your body against your will?

I would also like to hear an actual response to this.
Here's another one, why is it that we have to have a person's permission to use their organs after they die when they could save someone's life?
Why do we give a corpse more rights than a woman?

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:43 pm

Unfortunately the Supreme Court has not ruled Guilt Trip Ultrasounds unConstitutional.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Laurasia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Laurasia » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:54 pm

Galloism wrote:
Laurasia wrote:

You have twisted the terminology. The unborn child is within the born person's body, and that born person is their mother. They are being nurtured and developed within their mother's body. From the moment of conception, they have obtained their own form, separate from that of the mother's. Human reproduction is such that each of us arises from the same source. "Fetuses" require a place for their development, and such development should not be interrupted by outside forces.

As regards to surgical operations, and other procedures, no one should use another unless if they have full consent. Human beings can consent. Babies cannot. Babies are therefore deserving of protection by society, to help those who are unable to help themselves.

Laurasia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Laurasia » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:56 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Galloism wrote:That's not what I asked you. I asked you under what circumstances a born person has the right to use another born person's body against their will. We're arguing from the premise the unborn have the same rights as the born.

I would also like to hear an actual response to this.
Here's another one, why is it that we have to have a person's permission to use their organs after they die when they could save someone's life?

You must have that person's permission because that is logical. Again, we are talking about human beings capable of consent, versus the helpless unborn who cannot consent. And a woman, on her part, does not have the right to govern who lives and who dies, of those being nurtured within her. You cannot pick and choose between children.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:59 pm

Laurasia wrote:
Genivaria wrote:I would also like to hear an actual response to this.

You must have that person's permission because that is logical. Again, we are talking about human beings capable of consent, versus the helpless unborn who cannot consent. And a woman, on her part, does not have the right to govern who lives and who dies, of those being nurtured within her. You cannot pick and choose between children.

Yes in the same way that you require a woman's permission.
Why is that difficult for you?

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:04 pm

Laurasia wrote:
Galloism wrote:That's not what I asked you. I asked you under what circumstances a born person has the right to use another born person's body against their will. We're arguing from the premise the unborn have the same rights as the born.

You have twisted the terminology. The unborn child is within the born person's body, and that born person is their mother. They are being nurtured and developed within their mother's body. From the moment of conception, they have obtained their own form, separate from that of the mother's. Human reproduction is such that each of us arises from the same source. "Fetuses" require a place for their development, and such development should not be interrupted by outside forces.

As regards to surgical operations, and other procedures, no one should use another unless if they have full consent. Human beings can consent. Babies cannot. Babies are therefore deserving of protection by society, to help those who are unable to help themselves.

Ok, so let's modify it a little bit. I'm in a coma after being hit by a bus filled with undocumented immigrants from Mars. I therefore can no longer consent. I deserve protection by society.

You are fully conscious and able to consent.

Under what circumstances can I use your body against your will? So far you have yet to name one way.
Last edited by Galloism on Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:07 pm

Galloism wrote:
Laurasia wrote:You have twisted the terminology. The unborn child is within the born person's body, and that born person is their mother. They are being nurtured and developed within their mother's body. From the moment of conception, they have obtained their own form, separate from that of the mother's. Human reproduction is such that each of us arises from the same source. "Fetuses" require a place for their development, and such development should not be interrupted by outside forces.

Ok, so let's modify it a little bit. I'm in a coma after being hit by a bus filled with undocumented immigrants from Mars. I therefore can no longer consent.

Under what circumstances can I use your body against your will?

Personally I'm actually in favor of the 'opt-out' instead of 'opt-in' when it comes to organ donations but that's getting off topic.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:08 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Galloism wrote:Ok, so let's modify it a little bit. I'm in a coma after being hit by a bus filled with undocumented immigrants from Mars. I therefore can no longer consent.

Under what circumstances can I use your body against your will?

Personally I'm actually in favor of the 'opt-out' instead of 'opt-in' when it comes to organ donations but that's getting off topic.

I'd actually concur with that, but, as you said, that's beyond the scope.

Laurasia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Laurasia » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:12 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Laurasia wrote:You must have that person's permission because that is logical. Again, we are talking about human beings capable of consent, versus the helpless unborn who cannot consent. And a woman, on her part, does not have the right to govern who lives and who dies, of those being nurtured within her. You cannot pick and choose between children.

Yes in the same way that you require a woman's permission.

That is not in the same way. As I have said time and time again, unborn life deserves full protection from society and from us. Would you do in your child for the sake of convenience? Would you put your child to death to satisfy your own desires and wishes? I would hope not.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:14 pm

Laurasia wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Yes in the same way that you require a woman's permission.

That is not in the same way. As I have said time and time again, unborn life deserves full protection from society and from us. Would you do in your child for the sake of convenience? Would you put your child to death to satisfy your own desires and wishes? I would hope not.

An unborn fetus is not considered a child by reasonable standard.
There is no child in this discussion, stop trying to use the word 'child' as a smokescreen.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:15 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Laurasia wrote:That is not in the same way. As I have said time and time again, unborn life deserves full protection from society and from us. Would you do in your child for the sake of convenience? Would you put your child to death to satisfy your own desires and wishes? I would hope not.

An unborn fetus is not considered a child by reasonable standard.
There is no child in this discussion, stop trying to use the word 'child' as a smokescreen.

Honestly, if there was a child who would die unless mom gave her a kidney, and mom refused to give up one of her kidneys, I would oppose attempts to force her by force of law to give up a kidney even to save her own child.
Last edited by Galloism on Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freefall11111
Negotiator

Founded: May 31, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Freefall11111 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Laurasia wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Yes in the same way that you require a woman's permission.

Why do you keep calling a fetus a child? Do you ever hear a couple going "Hey, here's our kid" when discussing the woman's pregnancy?

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:17 pm

Galloism wrote:
Genivaria wrote:An unborn fetus is not considered a child by reasonable standard.

Honestly, if there was a child who would die unless mom gave her a kidney, and mom refused to give up one of her kidneys, I would oppose attempts to force her by force of law to give up a kidney even to save her own child.

By law sure it would be wrong to force her but the big difference is that we can find another kidney that could save the child.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:18 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Galloism wrote:Honestly, if there was a child who would die unless mom gave her a kidney, and mom refused to give up one of her kidneys, I would oppose attempts to force her by force of law to give up a kidney even to save her own child.

By law sure it would be wrong to force her but the big difference is that we can find another kidney that could save the child.

Even if we couldn't because of XYZ reasons, and the child was doomed to die, I would oppose using force of law to force her to give up a kidney (or a piece of her liver, or whatever).

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:18 pm

Freefall11111 wrote:
Laurasia wrote:That is not in the same way. As I have said time and time again, unborn life deserves full protection from society and from us. Would you do in your child for the sake of convenience? Would you put your child to death to satisfy your own desires and wishes? I would hope not.

Why do you keep calling a fetus a child? Do you ever hear a couple going "Hey, here's our kid" when discussing the woman's pregnancy?

Bad example because yes actually I have, but that's usually pretty late in the pregnancy.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:19 pm

Galloism wrote:
Genivaria wrote:By law sure it would be wrong to force her but the big difference is that we can find another kidney that could save the child.

Even if we couldn't because of XYZ reasons, and the child was doomed to die, I would oppose using force of law to force her to give up a kidney (or a piece of her liver, or whatever).

And I agree, doesn't mean I'd have sympathy for her.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General