NATION

PASSWORD

UK Referendum Thread [Moderator Sanctioned]

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Divitaen
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:06 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Divitaen wrote:
Yes, but these non-white immigrants have to deal with racist attitudes in universities and when applying for employment and housing, whereas low-income whites don't have to deal with the same racial discrimination. Of course the socio-economic hurdles need to be brought down, but race obviously makes a difference too. I'm not going to apologise for advocating for policies based on race when racial privilege actually exists in reality.

To do so when not presenting solutions to neoliberal economics is fueling the problem and an absurdly bad idea. We're seeing the evidence of that unfold across the world, right now.

I can do both, its not mutually exclusive. I can advocate for economic policies to redress socio-economic inequality and the excesses of financial capitalism. But I can do so while also condemning racism and dog-whistle politics where it exists, and the Leave campaign was a textbook example of dog-whistle politics.
Hillary Clinton 2016! Stronger Together!
EU Referendum: Vote Leave = Project Hate #VoteRemain!
Economic Right/Left: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.15
Foreign Policy Non-interventionist/Neo-conservative: -10.00
Cultural Liberal/Conservative: -10.00
Social Democrat:
Cosmopolitan/Nationalistic - 38%
Secular/Fundamentalist - 50%
Visionary/Reactionary - 56%
Anarchistic/Authoritarian - 24%
Communistic/Capitalistic - 58%
Pacifist/Militarist - 39%
Ecological/Anthropocentric - 55%

HMS Vanguard
Senator

Founded: Jan 16, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Vanguard » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:07 am

Divitaen wrote:
HMS Vanguard wrote:Even the original bus claim wasn't technically incorrect, just kind of misleading. There was worse bullshit from Remain (and indeed worse from other parts of Leave, that just got less traction for whatever reason).

Kind of misleading? That's quite an understatement don't you think?

Why? I doubt more than a handful of people in the public knows the difference between 350m and 100m anyway. Both enter most peoples' brains as "big_number".
Last edited by HMS Vanguard on Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feelin' brexy

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:08 am

Divitaen wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
To do so when not presenting solutions to neoliberal economics is fueling the problem and an absurdly bad idea. We're seeing the evidence of that unfold across the world, right now.

I can do both, its not mutually exclusive. I can advocate for economic policies to redress socio-economic inequality and the excesses of financial capitalism. But I can do so while also condemning racism and dog-whistle politics where it exists, and the Leave campaign was a textbook example of dog-whistle politics.

Here's the thing though. If you do one without the other, the nationalist factions are going to continue to grow.

If you see racism, dont just argue against it. Argue for positive solutions in its place. That's what the left wing has failed to do consistently.

Whether you do that or not isn't relevant really, the parties aren't doing it, and they aren't doing it because they don't understand the problem of their ideology, or can't confront it, or whatever.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Divitaen
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:09 am

HMS Vanguard wrote:
Divitaen wrote:
Yes, but these non-white immigrants have to deal with racist attitudes in universities and when applying for employment and housing, whereas low-income whites don't have to deal with the same racial discrimination. Of course the socio-economic hurdles need to be brought down, but race obviously makes a difference too. I'm not going to apologise for advocating for policies based on race when racial privilege actually exists in reality.

What does non-white immigration have to do with the EU?

The EU is the main source of white immigration. It is barely relevant to non-white immigration.

Well that post was specifically about a previous conversation regarding integration different racial groups as a result of immigration, so I was talking about non-white immigrants with regards to the previous question.

As for Brexit specifically, most of the examples of race-baiting I cited were with regards to Romanian and Bulgarian immigrants. However, Farage's 'Breaking Point' poster more than proves that Leave was willing to bring non-white immigrants outside of the EU into the debate, presumably because Brexit would allow UK greater control over asylum and refugee policy and would help Britain limit the flow of Muslim immigrants and refugees, an argument which helped Farage because it enabled him to play on Islamophobic sentiments to help Leave win the day.
Social Democrat:

HMS Vanguard
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Vanguard » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:09 am

Divitaen wrote:Also, what kind of Remain lies are you talking about? Most campaigners like Osborne simply repeated what all the major economic institutions and research groups were saying in published reports anyway.

The French government said that Calais would be unlashed into the Chunnel; that claim was explicitly repudiated within hours.

Obsorne promised a punitive Brexit budget that has also been repudiated; he is now saying that Britain's economic position post-EU is strong.

These are much more fundamental issues than 100m vs 350m of hypothetical money.
Feelin' brexy

Divitaen
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:10 am

HMS Vanguard wrote:
Divitaen wrote:
Kind of misleading? That's quite an understatement don't you think?

Why? I doubt more than a handful of people in the public knows the difference between 350m and 100m anyway. Both enter most peoples' brains as "big_number".

You said in an earlier post far back that in democracy we can't be condescending about the voters, and that applies here too. We have to give the public factually accurate information and allow them to decide based on that information. Sure, maybe it wouldn't make a difference, maybe it would have, that's not for us to decide, and that's not an excuse for exaggerated claims.
Social Democrat:

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:10 am

https://i.sli.mg/npeWLn.png

It's that sentiment again. It comes up everywhere.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

HMS Vanguard
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Vanguard » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:10 am

Divitaen wrote:
HMS Vanguard wrote:What does non-white immigration have to do with the EU?

The EU is the main source of white immigration. It is barely relevant to non-white immigration.

Well that post was specifically about a previous conversation regarding integration different racial groups as a result of immigration, so I was talking about non-white immigrants with regards to the previous question.

As for Brexit specifically, most of the examples of race-baiting I cited were with regards to Romanian and Bulgarian immigrants.

Is your position that Bulgarians and Romanians are not white?

However, Farage's 'Breaking Point' poster more than proves that Leave was willing to bring non-white immigrants outside of the EU into the debate, presumably because Brexit would allow UK greater control over asylum and refugee policy and would help Britain limit the flow of Muslim immigrants and refugees, an argument which helped Farage because it enabled him to play on Islamophobic sentiments to help Leave win the day.

I would say this is a much better example of Leave bullshit than the 350m bus. What Farage was implying had really nothing to do with the debate.
Feelin' brexy

Divitaen
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:11 am

HMS Vanguard wrote:
Divitaen wrote:Also, what kind of Remain lies are you talking about? Most campaigners like Osborne simply repeated what all the major economic institutions and research groups were saying in published reports anyway.

The French government said that Calais would be unlashed into the Chunnel; that claim was explicitly repudiated within hours.

Obsorne promised a punitive Brexit budget that has also been repudiated; he is now saying that Britain's economic position post-EU is strong.

British Remain campaigners can't possibly be held responsible for the French government's comments. As for Osborne, I opposed his austerity idea as well as economic blackmail, and obviously austerity in the face of an economic recession makes absolutely no sense, but where did he say Britain's post-EU economic position is strong? His position now and then has been that Brexit would hurt global financial markets, cost jobs and hurt GDP growth, and as far as I know he hasn't repudiated any of that.
Social Democrat:

HMS Vanguard
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Vanguard » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:11 am

Divitaen wrote:
HMS Vanguard wrote:Why? I doubt more than a handful of people in the public knows the difference between 350m and 100m anyway. Both enter most peoples' brains as "big_number".

You said in an earlier post far back that in democracy we can't be condescending about the voters

No I didn't. I am condescending about the proles all the time. What I don't support is changing the rules of the game because you lost, which is a repudiation of the rule of law.
Feelin' brexy

Divitaen
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:14 am

HMS Vanguard wrote:
Divitaen wrote:

As for Brexit specifically, most of the examples of race-baiting I cited were with regards to Romanian and Bulgarian immigrants.

Is your position that Bulgarians and Romanians are not white?

However, Farage's 'Breaking Point' poster more than proves that Leave was willing to bring non-white immigrants outside of the EU into the debate, presumably because Brexit would allow UK greater control over asylum and refugee policy and would help Britain limit the flow of Muslim immigrants and refugees, an argument which helped Farage because it enabled him to play on Islamophobic sentiments to help Leave win the day.

I would say this is a much better example of Leave bullshit than the 350m bus. What Farage was implying had really nothing to do with the debate.

Bulgarians and Romanians are white. Like I said, my post in response to Ostroeuropa was about the issue of non-white immigration specifically because we were talking about ethnic integration separate from the issue of Brexit. When it comes to the issue of Brexit, I've always talked about race-baiting regarding Muslim immigration and immigrants from Bulgaria and Romania, who, as you said, are white, but still the targets of racism and hateful vitriol.

And yes, this was an example of Leave bullshit, and not just that, it was racist, xenophobic bullshit too. The only reason Farage tried to inject Muslim refugees into the debate is because he knew it would gin up enthusiastic support for Leave amongst Islamophobes in the British population, that's why he pushed that issue so hard.
Social Democrat:

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:15 am

Divitaen wrote:
HMS Vanguard wrote:Is your position that Bulgarians and Romanians are not white?

Bulgarians and Romanians are white. Like I said, my post in response to Ostroeuropa was about the issue of non-white immigration specifically because we were talking about ethnic integration separate from the issue of Brexit. When it comes to the issue of Brexit, I've always talked about race-baiting regarding Muslim immigration and immigrants from Bulgaria and Romania, who, as you said, are white, but still the targets of racism and hateful vitriol.

And yes, this was an example of Leave bullshit, and not just that, it was racist, xenophobic bullshit too. The only reason Farage tried to inject Muslim refugees into the debate is because he knew it would gin up enthusiastic support for Leave amongst Islamophobes in the British population, that's why he pushed that issue so hard.

Again, the irony being that Brexit does nothing to stem Muslim immigration and in fact means France is no longer obligated to screen any that want to go to the UK.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Divitaen
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:15 am

HMS Vanguard wrote:
Divitaen wrote:
You said in an earlier post far back that in democracy we can't be condescending about the voters

No I didn't. I am condescending about the proles all the time. What I don't support is changing the rules of the game because you lost, which is a repudiation of the rule of law.

To be fair, if we're talking about law, the EU referendum isn't even binding to begin with in terms of law. But if you're referring to having a second referendum on a bunch of made-up rules then yes I completely agree.
Social Democrat:

Divitaen
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:16 am

Gauthier wrote:
Divitaen wrote:

Again, the irony being that Brexit does nothing to stem Muslim immigration and in fact means France is no longer obligated to screen any that want to go to the UK.

Exactly, the issue just popped up to scare racist, xenophobic voters and stir up their racial hatred into supporting Leave.
Social Democrat:

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:34 am

Cameron sounds very upbeat in this debate.that's starting now on five live.
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

Fartsniffage
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Fartsniffage » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:41 am

Coraspia wrote:Cameron sounds very upbeat in this debate.that's starting now on five live.

Of course he does. He knows he's dodged a massive bullet by "resigning" so promptly after the result.

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:50 am

HMS Vanguard wrote:

osborne has always supported punitive budgets and him turning around to an actual sensible policy is a surprise for everything

he's saying britian's economic position post-EU is strong because that is what he would say regardless of how strong it was
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:52 am

i mean did you actually expect the chancellors speech to clam the markets was going to be "our economy is fucked lol"
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:55 am

Souseiseki wrote:i mean did you actually expect the chancellors speech to clam the markets was going to be "our economy is fucked lol"

I thought he'd try something a bit less bland and obvious. Maybe do some weird stuff like breakdancing in the middle of the speech, or spreading his legs really far apart again. Boy, wouldn't that have been something.

"You can all have faith in the british government solving this crisis."
*suddenly weird pose*
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

The Archregimancy
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 01, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Archregimancy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:59 am

Souseiseki wrote:i mean did you actually expect the chancellors speech to clam the markets was going to be "our economy is fucked lol"

Well, for precedent there's always Alistair Darling's famously off-message August 2008 newspaper interview where he rather bluntly stated that the economic circumstances 'are arguably the worst they've been in 60 years. And I think it's going to be more profound and long-lasting than people thought.'

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:17 am

Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:20 am

eh, they'll just focus to the big event. It doesn't necessarily mean they've suddenly changed stances, but something as 'doomladen' as the post-Brexit turmoil makes for good reading. Fear is in vogue.

That being said, that Torygrpah analysis was pretty neat.
I used to run an alliance, and a region. Not that it matters now.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.
Zoboyizakoplayoklot wrote:Val: NS's resident mindless zombie
Planita wrote:you just set the OP on fire

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:23 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Divitaen wrote:
And I agree that the Remain campaign failed to make a positive case for immigration, largely because the pro-Remain Tories were themselves against immigration but were pro-Remain for purely economic reasons. As far as I remember only Sadiq Khan ever came close to arguing that more immigration made Britain a more multicultural and tolerant society. The lack of this positive counter-veiling narrative to Leave's xenophobia and racism obviously makes your side's case appear much less compelling. But its also a sign of how potent racism and xenophobia is in British society and that is indeed contemptible. I don't see how it can be seen as anything less than contemptible. I don't think "racial tolerance" is an "upper-middle class value", it ought to be a universal human value.

Racial tolerance /=/ a cultural vacuum where you don't assert the native culture is a positive thing and exists on its own, and assert only minorities have cultures while we're just a void staring blankly into the distance surrounded by minorities who have cultures, and that is our defining role.

I suspect part of the reason they do this is they are, once again, completely detatched from most of the country and attempting to articulate cultural connections to them would reveal just how detatched they are.

A positive case for immigration would have failed. The "MULTICULTURAL SOCIETY!" shit has failed consistently to draw support, because of the problems caused by ghettoization. So again, unless focus is given to the economic failures of the elite (Which they refuse to do), it's pointless.
Instead, they just scream that the voters are stupid and racist rather than confront their own incompetence and dangerous ideology.

Many of us on the economic left have said it repeatedly, and people do not listen either.

The problem with our economy is NOT multiculturalism. It isn't "the brown people coming over stealing my jobs". It's that the entire system in which business depends is one based on neoliberal exploitation.

Neoliberalism, furthermore, is a product of the economic right, not the economic left. We have nothing to do with the economic wing that gave you one of the most stupid methods of thinking about the economy: Reaganomics and the "trickle down" effect, or supply-side economics.

The social leftists are right, but many of the social left are also from the economic right wing so, while they are right, they defend the same system of economics, or refuse to talk about the system that has given to the current situation.

That's why multiculturalism is irrelevant. Culturalism has nothing to do with the fact the rich have been fucking you over for decades.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:24 am

ostro how do you feel about the increase in incidents of racial abuse or people literally being beaten unconscious by people after the referndum

T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:25 am

Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General