NATION

PASSWORD

Indonesia demands security for ships in Philippines

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Stadenwick
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Stadenwick » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:14 pm

Vulkata II wrote:
Novus America wrote:
The Philippines military is plagued by chronic underfunding and corruption in the procurement system. Filipino military personnel are brave and decently trained for the most part, though training could be better. But their equipment is pathetic.

Can you really blame us? We don't even have a tank and use BTR's instead really i checked our wikipedia page on our military.

Though it may be useful seeing this is a small island that can easily be surrounded

Are you kidding? Why would you have a tank for? Indonesia order one from Germany and I swear that the dumbest thing ever because y'know, Island country.
I'M A MEMBER OF THOUGHT CAFE
WE'RE THE AWESOMEST, COME CHECK US OUT
Great Confederacy Of Commonwealth States wrote:
Stadenwick wrote:Did you just call me wicky?

Aye.

So yeah, feel free to call me that from now on.
Tracian Empire wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:Basically, Stadenwick is RPing as the Russian, Orthodox version of Mormonism and Deseret.

Something in that direction, with some anti-Pope stuff hidden in since he claims to be a new Ecumenical Patriarch.

That's why I don't like heresies. They need to be burned.
Mobile posting is cancer, and i do a lot of it. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Vulkata II
Minister

Founded: Jun 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Vulkata II » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:16 pm

Stadenwick wrote:
Vulkata II wrote:Can you really blame us? We don't even have a tank and use BTR's instead really i checked our wikipedia page on our military.

Though it may be useful seeing this is a small island that can easily be surrounded

Are you kidding? Why would you have a tank for? Indonesia order one from Germany and I swear that the dumbest thing ever because y'know, Island country.

Yeah that's what my dad said.

He said "Why do we need a tank? All our enemies are hiding in the mountains" and the BTR seems to be effective?

Still i think attacking the island of Abu Sayyaf would be easier after retaking the Indonesian hostages so if any of them threatened to kill them they wouldn't have anything to hold the three armies back and get shot
It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. -George Patton

He alone, who owns the youth, gains the future. -Adolf Hitler

Part of the American dream is to live long and die young. Only those Americans who are willing to die for their country are fit to live. -General MacArthur
The player is currently:Clear|Busy
Great Tawil wrote:The thing is I hate fighting. I just wanna draw flags and make friends

_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature!

East Catalina
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby East Catalina » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:16 pm

Is the Phillippine military liable to behave as its' most recent overlord does?
If so, then good luck.
Vulkata II wrote:
Novus America wrote:
You need some better maritime patrol craft fot this type of operation. Maybe you could get a decent deal on some used P-3s. You also need some modern radars. To start the Phillipines needs to be able to properly monitor its waters. Right now it has limited ability to do so.

Along with Boracay's competition.

We've got enemies surrounding us and we don't even have a single tank

...what you need is ICBMs. :lol2:
United States of East Catalina, Caroga and the Catalina Islands
Mirajvor ni Mankrusa, Karoga ke Katalinsoqqvor
Estados Unidos de Catalina del Este, Catalina del Oeste y las Islas Menores

¡Adelante juntos!
Together forward!

Former colony of Spain (1547-1898) and the United States (1898-1946 in the East; 1898-1953 in the West) which underwent a civil war (1946-86) and is now recovering
Capital: Ocean City
Government type: Federal directorial parliamentary republic
39 states and 9 territories
Population: 248 million
Languages: Carogan, Spanish, English

Vulkata II
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vulkata II » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:17 pm

East Catalina wrote:Is the Phillippine military liable to behave as its' most recent overlord does?
If so, then good luck.
Vulkata II wrote:Along with Boracay's competition.

...what you need is ICBMs. :lol2:

China got lots.

Plus if we buy even one it could damage the economy and if we launch one the UN would condemn us etc etc legal legal I'm just 14 and i study this already
It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. -George Patton

Part of the American dream is to live long and die young. Only those Americans who are willing to die for their country are fit to live. -General MacArthur
Great Tawil wrote:The thing is I hate fighting. I just wanna draw flags and make friends

_[' ]_

Saradena
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 17, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Saradena » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:21 pm

Novus America wrote:
Vulkata II wrote:Huey's,BTR and Vietnam war gear

You need some better maritime patrol craft fot this type of operation. Maybe you could get a decent deal on some used P-3s. You also need some modern radars. To start the Phillipines needs to be able to properly monitor its waters. Right now it has limited ability to do so.

To be fair, we are acquiring a lot of naval assets. Japan is even planning to supply us with equipment. Not to mention we recently got a new LPD from Indonesia and is also going to transfer their technology to us so we could build similar ships, the AW-159 Wildcat has been selected as a new ASW Helicopter, and not to mention there's been rumors that we would acquire a newer warship (I think it was a corvette or a frigate) from South Korea.

Edit: It's an Incheon-class frigate.
Last edited by Saradena on Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Japanese/Mongolian weeb cesspit nation with a lotta US military hardware
Formerly known as Esgonia (RIP Best Maid)

Call me Es, Essie, Ainsley Harriot, whatever.
Send TG's if you like
  • Part of Novae Terrae/Alithea (Most of our canon stuff's now on Discord anyway. TG me if you're interested!)
  • Does not use NS Stats (I have Factbooks, dammit)
Empire of Donner land wrote:We get it. You're the grand master edge supreme. :P
Victoriala wrote:Thank god we aren't neighbors

Tune of the now: "Zambian Psychedelic Rock music I just found or something"

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:27 pm

Vulkata II wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Well tanks would be of somewhat limited use considering the geography of the Phillipines.

I think I would focus more on air and sea defenses. Good thing about P-3 Orion's is they can hunt pirates, but also kill submarines and launch anti ship missiles. The Phillipines has no modern air defenses, some modern long range anti air missiles are definitely needed. Also some real multi role combat aircraft like Super Hornets.

And some modern warships, maybe even submarines. The Phillipines is literally using a US Frigate from WWII.

While a good army is needed, the Phillipines is an Island nation so I think it is best to keep the enemy from reaching land in the first place.
Last edited by Novus America on Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Saradena
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Saradena » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:35 pm

Vulkata II wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Yeah, we don't need tanks judging from the terrain of the Philippines.
But wheeled armored vehicles, yes.

Novus America wrote:And some modern warships, maybe even submarines. The Phillipines is literally using a US Frigate from WWII.

Frigates and minesweepers, yes.
Last edited by Saradena on Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Send TG's if you like
  • Part of Novae Terrae/Alithea (Most of our canon stuff's now on Discord anyway. TG me if you're interested!)

Seraven
Senator

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Seraven » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:53 pm

Vulkata II wrote:
Novus America wrote:
I do not blame you, but I do blame your government. The Philippines can buy whatever it needs. The military needs funding, and a procurement system that does not steal.

It's still a developing country more or less, Corruption stopped the victims of Hurricane Haiyan from getting money from what i read from our daily newspaper.

In a unrelated note:What is Argentina's exports?

What Philippines need if they can't buy better military equipment from foreign countries is to build a strong defense industry.
Copper can change as its quality went down.
Gold can't change, for its quality never went down.
The Alma Mater wrote:
Seraven wrote:I know right! Whites enslaved the natives, they killed them, they converted them forcibly, they acted like a better human beings than the Muslims.

An excellent example of why allowing unrestricted immigration of people with a very different culture might not be the best idea ever :P

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:58 pm

Seraven wrote:
Vulkata II wrote:It's still a developing country more or less, Corruption stopped the victims of Hurricane Haiyan from getting money from what i read from our daily newspaper.

In a unrelated note:What is Argentina's exports?

What Philippines need if they can't buy better military equipment from foreign countries is to build a strong defense industry.

Buying foreign equipment is easy. The US and others will sell it gladly. Building a defense industry much harder and more expensive. The Phillipines currently only makes small arms. And the Phillipines tiny military budget is not sufficient to maintain a serious military industry.
Last edited by Novus America on Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Seraven
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Seraven » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:17 pm

Novus America wrote:
Seraven wrote:

Buying foreign equipment is easy. The US and others will sell it gladly. Building a defense industry much harder and more expensive. The Phillipines currently only makes small arms. And the Phillipines tiny military budget is not sufficient to maintain a serious military industry.

But it's expensive too. Making a joint program with other country is also another way for military improvement.
The Alma Mater wrote:
Seraven wrote:I know right! Whites enslaved the natives, they killed them, they converted them forcibly, they acted like a better human beings than the Muslims.

An excellent example of why allowing unrestricted immigration of people with a very different culture might not be the best idea ever :P

Tsaraine
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Tsaraine » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:07 am

I'm not familiar with the situation in Indonesia and the Philippines, but I feel like "patrol your waters against pirates and your roads against bandits" is a perfectly reasonable expectation; it's one of the cornerstones of a modern state.

Vulkata II
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vulkata II » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:16 am

Tsaraine wrote:I'm not familiar with the situation in Indonesia and the Philippines, but I feel like "patrol your waters against pirates and your roads against bandits" is a perfectly reasonable expectation; it's one of the cornerstones of a modern state.

TO be fair i heard all of this last night while my grandma was watching the news and i was playing the computer.

Though according to the news channel's website(cause i copied and pasted this)this isn't the only time our terrorist kidnap some Indonesian hostages though all of them have been released in the past

_[' ]_

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:17 am

Indonesia has the largest navy in SE Asia.

Couldn't they flex some muscle in international waters?
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:30 am

Vulkata II wrote:
Stadenwick wrote:Are you kidding? Why would you have a tank for? Indonesia order one from Germany and I swear that the dumbest thing ever because y'know, Island country.

Yeah that's what my dad said.

He said "Why do we need a tank? All our enemies are hiding in the mountains" and the BTR seems to be effective?

Still i think attacking the island of Abu Sayyaf would be easier after retaking the Indonesian hostages so if any of them threatened to kill them they wouldn't have anything to hold the three armies back and get shot

That is why you need Mountain Tanks. Currently the best Mountain tank which even works well in high altitude is the Chinese ZTQ tank - https://warisboring.com/chinas-got-a-ne ... .7w0hp0p0q
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Saradena
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Saradena » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:41 am

Rio Cana wrote:
Vulkata II wrote:Yeah that's what my dad said.

That is why you need Mountain Tanks. Currently the best Mountain tank which even works well in high altitude is the Chinese ZTQ tank - https://warisboring.com/chinas-got-a-ne ... .7w0hp0p0q

Hmmm..maybe something like this...or the M8 AGS could be good for Philippine conditions
Last edited by Saradena on Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Send TG's if you like

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:48 am

Pranovia wrote:This, is why I have always clamored for the return of Martial Law. The heaviness of crime committed by subversive insurgents is...very alarming.
it was during Marcos's time too bruv
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:51 am

Saradena wrote:
Rio Cana wrote:

Hmmm..maybe something like this...or the M8 AGS could be good for Philippine conditions

The M8 AGS was never put into full production. It was cancelled.
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Vulkata II
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vulkata II » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:45 pm

Got an update.

Indonesia said to ban all ships near the Phil more or less

_[' ]_

Saradena
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Saradena » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:05 pm

Rio Cana wrote:
Saradena wrote:Hmmm..maybe something like this...or the M8 AGS could be good for Philippine conditions

What if we could probably make an indigenous vehicle based off it.
Yes, it's a pipe dream but hey

Send TG's if you like

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:13 pm

Rio Cana wrote:
Saradena wrote:Hmmm..maybe something like this...or the M8 AGS could be good for Philippine conditions

Well true, it was never put into production, but it very well might be. The US army is looking at buying it, and an updated version has been created. It would be put into production if someone is willing to pay for it.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Stadenwick
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Stadenwick » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:11 am

Vulkata II wrote:Got an update.

Indonesia said to ban all ships near the Phil more or less

Well it's definitely better than getting them captured and their crew taken hostage. But how they gonna enforce this, I have no idea.

Aye.

Tracian Empire wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:Basically, Stadenwick is RPing as the Russian, Orthodox version of Mormonism and Deseret.

Something in that direction, with some anti-Pope stuff hidden in since he claims to be a new Ecumenical Patriarch.

Arachno-Satinism
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Arachno-Satinism » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:18 am

Pope Joan wrote:Indonesia has the largest navy in SE Asia.

Couldn't they flex some muscle in international waters?

*Philippine waters, so I assume no.
Sieg Hamasho! also Homura still literally did nothing wrong.
Remove all populist demagogues shqip shqip
BRING BACK ROCKEFELLER REPUBLICANISM

"Talking nonsense is the sole privilege mankind possesses over the other organisms. It is by talking nonsense that one gets to the truth! I talk nonsense, therefore I am human." -Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:29 am

Saradena wrote:
Novus America wrote:

To be fair, we are acquiring a lot of naval assets. Japan is even planning to supply us with equipment. Not to mention we recently got a new LPD from Indonesia and is also going to transfer their technology to us so we could build similar ships, the AW-159 Wildcat has been selected as a new ASW Helicopter, and not to mention there's been rumors that we would acquire a newer warship (I think it was a corvette or a frigate) from South Korea.

True, the military of the Phillipines is improving after decades of neglect. But it still has a long ways to go. It really needs a lot more funding. Maintaining that new equipment is not cheap. Nigeria bought some brand new ships, then failed to maintain them and they broke down.

The Phillipines only spends 1% of GDP on defense. 2% would be more reasonable.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Seraven
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Seraven » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:36 am

Novus America wrote:
Saradena wrote:To be fair, we are acquiring a lot of naval assets. Japan is even planning to supply us with equipment. Not to mention we recently got a new LPD from Indonesia and is also going to transfer their technology to us so we could build similar ships, the AW-159 Wildcat has been selected as a new ASW Helicopter, and not to mention there's been rumors that we would acquire a newer warship (I think it was a corvette or a frigate) from South Korea.

True, the military of the Phillipines is improving after decades of neglect. But it still has a long ways to go. It really needs a lot more funding. Maintaining that new equipment is not cheap. Nigeria bought some brand new ships, then failed to maintain them and they broke down.

Or 3%, like Indonesia.
The Alma Mater wrote:

Stadenwick
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Stadenwick » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:59 am

Seraven wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Or 3%, like Indonesia.

3% and most of em look like they go army rather than navy. :(
You know you're special kind of unique if you buy a for tank super muddy terrain island country
Last edited by Stadenwick on Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aye.

Tracian Empire wrote:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General