NATION

PASSWORD

US Diplomats Urge Barack to Obomba Bashar

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:48 pm

Ralkovian Grand Island wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:That is actually best case scenario for a non-Assad victory. Worst case is that it reaps eternal war.

Eternal War sounds kind of cool, actually.

In the Grim Darkness of the Syrian desert...
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:48 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:
Ganos Lao wrote:
Eliminating Assad all but assures an Islamist victory. Goodbye democracy, hello Saudi Arabia's version of Manchukuo.

That is actually best case scenario for a non-Assad victory. Worst case is that it reaps eternal war.

Saudi Arabia profiting is not at all best-case anything.

This nation is controlled by the player who was once Neo-Ixania on the Jolt Forums! It is also undergoing reconstruction.

Utilitarian Garibaldi
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Utilitarian Garibaldi » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:49 pm

Ganos Lao wrote:
Allet Klar Chefs wrote:The Lion Assad, Victor In The Incredibly Democratic Elections of 2015/16, Sheller Of Uppity Towns Which If You'll Remember Was The Root Cause Of This Whole Thing is not an honest man.

You missed the point of my post, and are also incorrect if you think I think so highly of the guy.

It's not that I support him. I don't. I just think there's no reason not to support him, or at least work with him, until we have someone in the wings who is quality leadership material.

It won't be worth removing him just to have an al-Maliki pop up and fuck Syria up even further. We owe it to the Syrians to help them find good government, not to simply pull a "well, Saddam's gone, mission accomplished" again.

Ok let's pull a Congo then.

"You get Mobutu instead of the commies yay."

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:49 pm

I too would like to risk provoking war with Russia. /s
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Ralkovian Grand Island
Minister

Founded: Dec 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralkovian Grand Island » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:49 pm

Utilitarian Garibaldi wrote:
Ganos Lao wrote:
You missed the point of my post, and are also incorrect if you think I think so highly of the guy.

It's not that I support him. I don't. I just think there's no reason not to support him, or at least work with him, until we have someone in the wings who is quality leadership material.

It won't be worth removing him just to have an al-Maliki pop up and fuck Syria up even further. We owe it to the Syrians to help them find good government, not to simply pull a "well, Saddam's gone, mission accomplished" again.

All of the AIDS, none of the capitalism.
Lyras:You know, you're a sick fuck, yes?
Ralk: I have stacks on stacks and racks on racks of slaves.
BlueHorizons: It sounds like you're doing a commercial for the most morbid children's board game ever, Ralk.

Estainia: The countless genocides...So many countless genocides.

Old Tyrannia wrote:You've never met Ralk before, have you? Ralk doesn't have friends.
He only respects the strong, and preys on the weak.
He might act polite and smile all the time, but always remember...
The day will come when you'll wake up to find him looming over your bed,
knife in hand, and he'll still be smiling.

Constaniana wrote:Ralk is evil incarnate, shouldn't you know this by now?

Seriong wrote:Ralk isn't a troll, he's just despicable.

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:50 pm

Allet Klar Chefs wrote:
The East Marches wrote:
To quote Stefan Memeneux "Not an argument".

Nor is "if only we had supported it, which we didn't, it would exist", really.

I've got congressional and pentagon stuff to back that assertion. "moronic_western_fantasy.txt" doesn't.
Conserative Morality wrote:Move to a real state bud instead of a third-world country that inexplicably votes in American elections.

Novus America wrote:But yes, I would say the mere existence of Illinois proves this is hell. Chicago the 9th circle.

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:50 pm

Ganos Lao wrote:

Let's say Assad's gone. The circumstances of his departure aren't important - he's just gone.

Who do we know in the country of Syria that could not only replace him but do a good job?

This nation is controlled by the player who was once Neo-Ixania on the Jolt Forums! It is also undergoing reconstruction.

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:51 pm

Utilitarian Garibaldi wrote:Ok let's pull a Congo then.

All of the AIDS, none of the capitalism.

In Syria's case, it'd be all of the terrorism, none of the promised freedom.

Allet Klar Chefs
Minister

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Allet Klar Chefs » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:51 pm

Ganos Lao wrote:
Allet Klar Chefs wrote:The Lion Assad, Victor In The Incredibly Democratic Elections of 2015/16, Sheller Of Uppity Towns Which If You'll Remember Was The Root Cause Of This Whole Thing is not an honest man.

No your problem is that you've bought into a fantasy of him being the one honest player in the middle east, or possibly one of two including Russia.

Not true. He is simpering at home. Same goes for Putin and Medvyedev. It's gross.

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:52 pm

Ganos Lao wrote:

Let's say Assad's gone. The circumstances of his departure aren't important - he's just gone.

Who do we know in the country of Syria that could not only replace him but do a good job?

Should we care about the good job part? I'm all for the tinpot dictator who can keep a lid on things for at least 20 years. I don't even believe we have that standard met.
Conserative Morality wrote:Move to a real state bud instead of a third-world country that inexplicably votes in American elections.

Novus America wrote:But yes, I would say the mere existence of Illinois proves this is hell. Chicago the 9th circle.

Utilitarian Garibaldi
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Utilitarian Garibaldi » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:52 pm

Ganos Lao wrote:

The circumstances of his departure are important.

Let's have him agree to step down to an interim government after ISIS & similar types are gone.

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:52 pm

Senkaku wrote:I too would like to risk provoking war with Russia. /s

Russia won't go to war with the West (IMHO I think Russia is a part of the West) because they don't care that much about Syria to get involved in a war. Russia doesn't care about Syria at all, really.

This is just the same old, same old that the Cold War was all about.

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:54 pm

They lost a jet and the Turks had the balls to ask them for reparations after the fact. The Russians won't fight the third world war for Syria.

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:54 pm

Ganos Lao wrote:

The circumstances of his departure are important.

Let's have him agree to step down to an interim government after ISIS & similar types are gone.

For the purposes of the argument, they aren't, though.

But I do agree with you on him stepping down. I just don't want to see another Iraq, you know? By all means, deal with Assad, but do it right or don't do it at all.

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:55 pm

The East Marches wrote:
Ganos Lao wrote:

Should we care about the good job part? I'm all for the tinpot dictator who can keep a lid on things for at least 20 years. I don't even believe we have that standard met.

The problem is that the most likely successor is someone from a known al-Qaeda affliate (itself part of an entire coalition loyal to AQ) that will most likely throw the lid away, driving the Alawites who survive the mass murder campaigns into Europe, where they will be accused by the far right of being out to destroy the European way of life. The cycle continues, and we're stuck at square one.
Last edited by Ganos Lao on Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ralkovian Grand Island
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralkovian Grand Island » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:56 pm

The East Marches wrote:

They lost a jet and the Turks had the balls to ask them for reparations after the fact. The Russians won't fight the third world war for Syria.

Some polonium for erdogan sounds lovely this time of year though.
BlueHorizons: It sounds like you're doing a commercial for the most morbid children's board game ever, Ralk.

Old Tyrannia wrote:You've never met Ralk before, have you? Ralk doesn't have friends.

Utilitarian Garibaldi
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Utilitarian Garibaldi » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:56 pm

Ganos Lao wrote:
Utilitarian Garibaldi wrote:The circumstances of his departure are important.

For the purposes of the argument, they aren't, though.

But I do agree with you on him stepping down. I just don't want to see another Iraq, you know? By all means, deal with Assad, but do it right or don't do it at all.

And that is exactly what this is about. He's such an ass that he refuses to step down after the shits all over (a key and controversial point of the negotiations with the opposition).

The Ik Ka Ek Akai
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 08, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Ik Ka Ek Akai » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:59 pm

We've got an aggressive despot who, despite his leanings, put forth effort to better Syria through modernization and updating; we've got various rebel groups with independent causes; we've got theocratic militants with plans to conquer multiple countries and destroy thousands of years of ancient history by demolishing museums, destroying artifacts, and committing mass genocide against the descendants of these ancient cultures, all the while imposing strict bans on electricity, shaving, showing skin, secular learning, freedom of movement, most forms of media, among so many other things on pain of brutal death via knife-beheading.

Say what you want about Assad, he never threatened to blow up the Egyptian pyramids, burial structures older than most civilizations in the modern world who have done nothing wrong against Islam, not even acting with a religious purpose in their time of building (rather, being a tomb than a temple), except being constructed before Muhammad was born. To me, the larger threat is much more clear. We should not waste our time with a petty dictator when we have a very serious threat to thousands of years of culture and world history committing genocide against pretty much everyone.

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:59 pm

Ganos Lao wrote:
The East Marches wrote:

The problem is that the most likely successor is someone from a known al-Qaeda affliate (itself part of an entire coalition loyal to AQ) that will most likely throw the lid away, driving the Alawites who survive the mass murder campaigns into Europe, where they will be accused by the far right of being out to destroy the European way of life. The cycle continues, and we're stuck at square one.

Shia are not much better than the Sunni for radical and stupid ideas. The difference being they are willing to be manipulated by the Aytollahs in Tehran rather than the gentlemen in Ridyah. I dislike the current scenario due to its causing the current refugee crisis and the lack of backbone being shown in Brusels. I wonder if the Shia/Sunni divide would play out in the refugee communities. I'm just rambling but it would interesting to see if a microcosm of the Syrian war might travel to Europe more than it has.

Though I agree that is the likely scenario of the loss of Assad at this time.
Last edited by The East Marches on Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:00 pm

The East Marches wrote:

I would prefer a Western backed coup. A man can dream.
Last edited by The East Marches on Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Utilitarian Garibaldi
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Utilitarian Garibaldi » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:04 pm

The East Marches wrote:

Another?

You'll just give the leftist Turks another opportunity to bitch about how the US saved them from civil war again.

Ralkovian Grand Island
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralkovian Grand Island » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:07 pm

The East Marches wrote:

Another?

You'll just give the leftist Turks another opportunity to bitch about how the US saved them from civil war again.

U-S-A!
U-S-A!
U-S-A!

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:07 pm

The East Marches wrote:

Another?

Tbh it's worked pretty well in the past. It's certainly "solved" problems before.

You are right though. The levels of buttmad by the Turkish leftists might crash the internet if we did that again. Would make for good trolling material to use though. There is that.

Edit: I would never troll on NSG, that above comment was meant for me using things in the future on /int/, reddit or something.
Last edited by The East Marches on Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Ik Ka Ek Akai
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 08, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Ik Ka Ek Akai » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:13 pm

The East Marches wrote:

I'm not entirely convinced this would work. The Middle East at the moment is filled with various forms of what is essentially tribalism. There's Semites vs. Iranians (Specifically, Arabs and Kurds), Muslim vs. Christian vs. Jewish, Sunni vs. Shi'ite, etc. A coup across a large region would prove ineffective, as the new government would never achieve the support it needs, nor the tolerance of other groups that is required, until these cultural, ethnic, and religious tensions are resolved. Otherwise, the country is just likely to fall apart again.

Utilitarian Garibaldi
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Utilitarian Garibaldi » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:19 pm

The Ik Ka Ek Akai wrote:
The East Marches wrote:

I'm not entirely convinced this would work. The Middle East at the moment is filled with various forms of what is essentially tribalism. There's Semites vs. Iranians (Specifically, Arabs and Kurds), Muslim vs. Christian vs. Jewish, Sunni vs. Shi'ite, etc. A coup across a large region would prove ineffective, as the new government would never achieve the support it needs, nor the tolerance of other groups that is required, until these cultural, ethnic, and religious tensions are resolved. Otherwise, the country is just likely to fall apart again.

This for Erdogan though.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General