NATION

PASSWORD

What is your Opinion about Esperanto

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Sun May 29, 2016 7:40 pm

It's a faltering conlang that wants to be a true International Auxiliary Language yet is basically relexified Yiddish borrowing mostly from Romance wordstock. It fails from the outset to be what it intended to be.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun May 29, 2016 7:40 pm

Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
English has become that, sort of. An international, world-wide language. Is your native language gross as fuck?

English is the lingua franca, not a universal language. But yeah, English isnt necessarily the prettiest language in the world lmao.

When you come to think about it, all languages are constructs. Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, even English, are mutts that were constructed by people, that evolved. A world-wide language is not a gross as fuck idea, it's actually a good idea, it could simplify communication a great deal in areas such as business, trade and quick communication among foreigners. It's just that Esperanto wasn't it. Also, a world-wide language is ok if it doesn't impede the usage and evolution of lingua francas. Esperanto never did. People who speak it, also speak their lingua franca.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Esperantists
Civil Servant

Founded: May 15, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Esperantists » Sun May 29, 2016 7:41 pm

Esperantists wrote:
Wow, you are ignorant. To a lot people, when I speak to to my friends in public, they say, "Are you speaking Italian or Spanish?" and to them I say neither. That is what it does sound like; Spanish, Italian, I've even heard it sounds like German. And also gross as.... are you completely mental; could you not see the usefulness of I don't know everyone speaking the same goddamn language?

Ah, yes, I'm super ignorant because i think your constructed language sounds like absolute shit. If your friends think it sounds like Spanish or Italian (or the rather far off German) they dont pay much attention to those languages at all.

How in the fuck does it sound awful huh? To me and others it sounds pretty damn well. Also other people not my friends; read the damn text now will ya? The language is pretty useful and makes a lot of damn sense. A lot more than English, German, and fucking Spanish; especially English.
Ĉi tiu lingvo estas iri la estonto!
Last edited by Esperantists on Sun May 29, 2016 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Sun May 29, 2016 7:41 pm

Souseiseki wrote:noble goal, questionable execution, unlikely to get where it wants to be

We see eye to eye for once, I agree entirely.

Dushan
Minister

Founded: Feb 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dushan » Sun May 29, 2016 7:41 pm

Shadaloo was using Esperanto in the Street Fighter Movie. :p

Link
Link II
Source: reddit
Last edited by Dushan on Sun May 29, 2016 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martial Nation on a far distant world with SciFi and Fantasy elements.

Factbook
This Nation does not use NS stats. When RPing with nation of different TL, we adapt to it.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Sun May 29, 2016 7:42 pm

Esperantists wrote:
Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:For one, it sounds precisely like what satan fucking a dying orca would sound like.
I also find the idea of making a world-wide language to be, frankly, gross as fuck.

Wow, you are ignorant. To a lot people, when I speak to to my friends in public, they say, "Are you speaking Italian or Spanish?" and to them I say neither. That is what it does sound like; Spanish, Italian, I've even heard it sounds like German. And also gross as.... are you completely mental; could you not see the usefulness of I don't know everyone speaking the same goddamn language?

You can't just go around saying someone is ignorant because they don't appreciate a certain language. I think it sounds pretty nasty as well, not going to lie.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sun May 29, 2016 7:44 pm

It's OK.

Kinda wish there was a better sounding language/conglang to achieve it's goal however.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun May 29, 2016 7:45 pm

New haven america wrote:It's OK.

Kinda wish there was a better sounding language/conglang to achieve it's goal however.

The main issue with Esperanto is it's Indo-European centrism. Sadly, so is Interlingua.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Keshokif
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Keshokif » Sun May 29, 2016 7:45 pm

It sounds nice, it looks nice, but it will never be truly international. It was designed solely for Indo-Europeans to speak, more specifically, Europeans.
The Federal Republic of Keshokif
Acca Kassi Urri
Justice Above Law
Factbook is love, factbook is life...
INTP, Communist, Linguist

Esperantists
Civil Servant

Founded: May 15, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Esperantists » Sun May 29, 2016 7:46 pm

Noraika wrote:
Esperantists wrote:Wow, you are ignorant. To a lot people, when I speak to to my friends in public, they say, "Are you speaking Italian or Spanish?" and to them I say neither. That is what it does sound like; Spanish, Italian, I've even heard it sounds like German. And also gross as.... are you completely mental; could you not see the usefulness of I don't know everyone speaking the same goddamn language?

Personally I don't like made-up languages to fulfill that role. Why not just agree on a pre-existing language, or heck a near-dead or recently deceased language. To be honest, Esperanto does not sound like it is designed for, or effective, as a language, which makes sense since its been made up instead of emerged naturally. That's just my view though.

I also, to be honest, think a part of it is with the over-exaggerated romance language sounds, which I personally find grating, and I don't really see why a romance-sounding language is somehow representative of the global community.

I'm not opposed to a global second-language, but Esperanto seems to be a pretty poor choice, in my opinion.

I don't see how it's a poor choice, it's politically neutral, easy to learn. I personally learn the majority of the language in two months. I mean as we speak its spreading in China, Brazil, and now Latin America.

Stagnant Axon Terminal
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stagnant Axon Terminal » Sun May 29, 2016 7:47 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:English is the lingua franca, not a universal language. But yeah, English isnt necessarily the prettiest language in the world lmao.

When you come to think about it, all languages are constructs. Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, even English, are mutts that were constructed by people, that evolved. A world-wide language is not a gross as fuck idea, it's actually a good idea, it could simplify communication a great deal in areas such as business, trade and quick communication among foreigners. It's just that Esperanto wasn't it. Also, a world-wide language is ok if it doesn't impede the usage and evolution of lingua francas. Esperanto never did. People who speak it, also speak their lingua franca.

English is the lingua franca, theres no need to force Esperanto into being the new lingua franca.

As far as all languages being constructs, the reality is that, yes clearly humans made up languages, but their evolution is vastly different than the forced nature of conlangs. "Natural" languages evolve in a very interesting way, ever since their onset. The beginning if spoken language arose in an extremely natural way- with base noises, discovery of diphthongs, and assigning of natural noises to emotions or common ideas. This particularly involves the letters "a" and "m."
The history of it is really neat.
TET's resident state assessment exam
My sworn enemy is the Toyota 4Runner
I scream a lot.
Also, I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend.
Nanatsu No Tsuki wrote:the fetus will never eat cake if you abort it

Cu Math wrote:Axon is like a bear with a PH.D. She debates at first, then eats your face.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:THE MAN'S PENIS HAS LEFT THE VAGINA. IT'S THE UTERUS'S TURN TO SHINE.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012

Postby New haven america » Sun May 29, 2016 7:48 pm

Noraika wrote:
Esperantists wrote:Wow, you are ignorant. To a lot people, when I speak to to my friends in public, they say, "Are you speaking Italian or Spanish?" and to them I say neither. That is what it does sound like; Spanish, Italian, I've even heard it sounds like German. And also gross as.... are you completely mental; could you not see the usefulness of I don't know everyone speaking the same goddamn language?

Personally I don't like made-up languages to fulfill that role. Why not just agree on a pre-existing language, or heck a near-dead or recently deceased language. To be honest, Esperanto does not sound like it is designed for, or effective, as a language, which makes sense since its been made up instead of emerged naturally. That's just my view though.

I also, to be honest, think a part of it is with the over-exaggerated romance language sounds, which I personally find grating, and I don't really see why a romance-sounding language is somehow representative of the global community.

I'm not opposed to a global second-language, but Esperanto seems to be a pretty poor choice, in my opinion.

It was actually designed to be easily learnable and usable... if you speak a European language/languages. If you speak languages outside of that geographic area, it's not the best.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun May 29, 2016 7:49 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

English is the lingua franca, theres no need to force Esperanto into being the new lingua franca.

As far as all languages being constructs, the reality is that, yes clearly humans made up languages, but their evolution is vastly different than the forced nature of conlangs. "Natural" languages evolve in a very interesting way, ever since their onset. The beginning if spoken language arose in an extremely natural way- with base noises, discovery of diphthongs, and assigning of natural noises to emotions or common ideas. This particularly involves the letters "a" and "m."
The history of it is really neat.

No one is forcing anyone to learn a conlang, however.

I may not truly enjoy how Esperanto sounds, although I understand it well, and I don't think it was a successful conlang because of its Eurocentrism, but as someone who speaks several languages, the more one learns, the better.
Slava Ukraini

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Sun May 29, 2016 7:50 pm

Esperantists wrote:Go ahead type what you think, no judgements.

viewtopic.php?p=18946099#p18946099
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Sun May 29, 2016 7:51 pm

Esperantists wrote:

And to you; I ask, why do you?

For one, it sounds precisely like what satan fucking a dying orca would sound like.
I also find the idea of making a world-wide language to be, frankly, gross as fuck.

*** Warned for trolling. ***
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General