NATION

PASSWORD

Monarchist discussion thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What type of Monarchist are you?

Absolutist
13%
UK style Constitutional
23%
Saudi style Constitutional
1%
Prussia style Constitutional
7%
Imperial Germany style Constitutional
9%
Holy Roman Empire Style
5%
Elected Monarchist
4%
Liberal Social Democrat Monarchist(Like me)
7%
Other(Explain below)
4%
None
28%

Total votes : 356

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sat May 21, 2016 11:50 pm

Britanania wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
At least, that's how I assume it is. Because the only example I can think of is the HRE.

The Kings of the Franks, at least the early ones, and many Anglo and Saxon kings were elected

Well, considering Charlemagne's Frankish Kingdom pretty much evolved into the HRE (and the state of France) that's not surprising :P didn't know about the Anglo-Saxons though.

The more you know...
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

The United Colonies of Earth
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Sat May 21, 2016 11:51 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
The United Colonies of Earth wrote:Typical for a presidential or parliamentary system?
How much power is this fucker getting?

I wouldn't know. Depends on the country.

Well, there is hope for people who don't like the king's cheese after all.
Salus Maior wrote:
Britanania wrote:The Kings of the Franks, at least the early ones, and many Anglo and Saxon kings were elected

Well, considering Charlemagne's Frankish Kingdom pretty much evolved into the HRE (and the state of France) that's not surprising :P didn't know about the Anglo-Saxons though.

The more you know...

It was probably a (West) Germanic tradition based around electing chieftains.
The United Colonies of Earth exists:
to bring about the settlement of all planets not yet inhabited by a sapient species within this Galaxy and Universe by the Human Race, or all members of the species Homo sapiens;
to ensure the observation and protection of the rights of all human beings;
to defend humankind from invasion, catastrophe, fraud and violence;
to represent the interests of humankind to the other governments of the Galaxy;
to facilitate the perpetuation of the unity of human civilization and infrastructure between otherwise self-governing colonies;
and to promote technological advancement and scientific discovery for the perpetuation and expansion of the unity and empowerment of all human beings.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

Zuid-Amerika
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Zuid-Amerika » Sat May 21, 2016 11:52 pm

A constitutional monarchy can be good for developing stable government, however, after a nation is stable and constitutional rule is established, I think that's when it's time to finish democratizing the system with an elected head of state.

Monarchs may be popular and more trusted than elected politicians but they're still unelected and hold their office purely by being born into it. That's no way to run a modern democracy.

Then there are the monarchies that harm their populations rather than help them stabilize their democracies, like Saudi Arabia and Swaziland.

Especially in Europe, the day of monarchy is over. It's time to have elected heads of state.
Trump 2016
Make America Great Again!
Brexit 2016
Make Britain Great Again!

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Sun May 22, 2016 4:34 am

Zuid-Amerika wrote:A constitutional monarchy can be good for developing stable government, however, after a nation is stable and constitutional rule is established, I think that's when it's time to finish democratizing the system with an elected head of state.

Why? If you have a functioning democratic system, what difference does it make whether the head of state is elected or not?
Monarchs may be popular and more trusted than elected politicians but they're still unelected and hold their office purely by being born into it. That's no way to run a modern democracy.

Again, why? Why is it no way to run a "modern democracy?" The UK is the birthplace of modern democracy, and we've done just fine under constitutional monarchy. What makes you think you know better than the people who invented the system? And why should we care whether we live in a "modern democracy" anyway?
Especially in Europe, the day of monarchy is over. It's time to have elected heads of state.

No it's not. The people of Europe's remaining monarchies don't want elected heads of state and there's no reason they should be made to have them. Your "argument" amounts to whining that this isn't how modern democracies are supposed to function, without any justification for why modern democracies should have elected heads of state or why it matters whether a nation is a "modern democracy" or not.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Dinake
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Dinake » Sun May 22, 2016 10:56 am

Salus Maior wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:
Ah, so, all the negatives of both an elected president and a hereditary monarchy. Wonderful.

At least, that's how I assume it is. Because the only example I can think of is the HRE.

Malaysia and Poland-Lithuania have or had kings with power equivalent to a typical president. In both cases, elections are by and from a group of elite families. In the case of Poland-Lithuania, election was for life, while in Malaysia there are term limits.
Catholic traditionalist, anti-capitalist with medievalist/distributist influences, monarchist. The drunk uncle of nationstates. Puppet of Dio. Don't sell the vatican.
Look if you name your child "Reince Priebus" and he ends up as a functionary in an authoritarian regime you only have yourself to blame
-Ross Douthat, reacting to Trump's presumptive nomination.
Darrell Castle 2016!

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Sun May 22, 2016 12:07 pm

A Constitutional Monarchy has very little power so why bother at all with having a monarchy.
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Sun May 22, 2016 12:30 pm

Rio Cana wrote:A Constitutional Monarchy has very little power so why bother at all with having a monarchy.

That's wrong and I suggest going back a few pages to see why.

Dinake wrote:Malaysia and Poland-Lithuania have or had kings with power equivalent to a typical president. In both cases, elections are by and from a group of elite families. In the case of Poland-Lithuania, election was for life, while in Malaysia there are term limits.

Well, yes, at one point Poland-Lithuania had an elected monarch. But the Commonwealth was also at one point a hereditary monarchy and a standard constitutional monarchy, all while being referred to as Rzeczpospolita.

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted
Kar-Esseria wrote:Who is that and are they female because if not then they can go make love to their hand.
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Go home Polska wins NS.
United Mongol Hordes wrote:Polska isn't exactly the nicest guy in the world
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Hurd you miss the point more than Polska misses Poland.
Rhodesialund wrote:when you have Charlie ten feet away or something operating operationally.
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Gayla is living in 1985 but these guys are already in 1916

Atelia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Atelia » Sun May 22, 2016 1:33 pm

Ahh, I wasnt aware this thread existed. Well I will say that I am a footsoldier in the effort to restore Russia to Tsardom, and I can say that I do see reason to be optimistic.
Orthodox Crusader, Proud Pontic Greek living in Moscow, Traditionalist, Eurasianist, ENTJ single man.

☩Defend Humanity, Rebel Against The Modern World☩

Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.

Greater Tezdrian
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Tezdrian » Sun May 22, 2016 2:08 pm

God save the Queen, etc etc.
Puppetmaster for Hashemite Arabiyah

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Sun May 22, 2016 3:33 pm

Atelia wrote:Ahh, I wasnt aware this thread existed. Well I will say that I am a footsoldier in the effort to restore Russia to Tsardom, and I can say that I do see reason to be optimistic.

I'd prefer a Tsar over Putin, or just about any other current candidate.

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted
Kar-Esseria wrote:Who is that and are they female because if not then they can go make love to their hand.
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Go home Polska wins NS.
United Mongol Hordes wrote:Polska isn't exactly the nicest guy in the world
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Hurd you miss the point more than Polska misses Poland.
Rhodesialund wrote:when you have Charlie ten feet away or something operating operationally.
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Gayla is living in 1985 but these guys are already in 1916

Tsadokion
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Tsadokion » Mon May 23, 2016 12:57 am

Absolute monarchist.

Atelia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atelia » Mon May 23, 2016 3:17 pm

NeuPolska wrote:
Atelia wrote:Ahh, I wasnt aware this thread existed. Well I will say that I am a footsoldier in the effort to restore Russia to Tsardom, and I can say that I do see reason to be optimistic.

I'd prefer a Tsar over Putin, or just about any other current candidate.

Putin is certainly great, and I appreciate all of his efforts but we need a strong leader after him and I feel of his efforts have driven the country in a direction where establishing a Tsar will be easier.
Orthodox Crusader, Proud Pontic Greek living in Moscow, Traditionalist, Eurasianist, ENTJ single man.

Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon May 23, 2016 3:37 pm

Atelia wrote:
NeuPolska wrote:I'd prefer a Tsar over Putin, or just about any other current candidate.

Putin is certainly great, and I appreciate all of his efforts but we need a strong leader after him and I feel of his efforts have driven the country in a direction where establishing a Tsar will be easier.

Who would even be crowned as Tsar? I'm fairly certain most of the Russian Royals are dead.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Britanania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 15, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Britanania » Mon May 23, 2016 3:48 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Atelia wrote:Putin is certainly great, and I appreciate all of his efforts but we need a strong leader after him and I feel of his efforts have driven the country in a direction where establishing a Tsar will be easier.

Who would even be crowned as Tsar? I'm fairly certain most of the Russian Royals are dead.

The great-great-granddaughter of Tsar Aleksandr Nikolaevich, Maria Vladimirovna, is the current head of the House of Romanov since 1992, although this is disputed by Dimitri Romanov, a direct patrilineal descendant of Tsar Nikolai Pavlovich
Last edited by Britanania on Mon May 23, 2016 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christus vincit; Christus regnat; Christus imperat
"All things have their season, and in their times all things pass under heaven"--Ecclesiastes 3:1
"Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king."
"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected"--G. K. Chesterton
Pro: British Unionism, Catholicism, Classicism, Conservatism, High Toryism, Monarchism, Traditionalism
Anti: Consumerism, Devolution, Materialism, Modernism, Post-Modernism, Progressivism

Atelia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atelia » Mon May 23, 2016 6:28 pm

Britanania wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

The great-great-granddaughter of Tsar Aleksandr Nikolaevich, Maria Vladimirovna, is the current head of the House of Romanov since 1992, although this is disputed by Dimitri Romanov, a direct patrilineal descendant of Tsar Nikolai Pavlovich

Indeed. I am not opposed to restoring the Romanovs, but I would prefer along with many others to elect the next Tsar and thus begin a new imperial dynasty.

Britanania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 15, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Britanania » Mon May 23, 2016 6:31 pm

Atelia wrote:
Britanania wrote: The great-great-granddaughter of Tsar Aleksandr Nikolaevich, Maria Vladimirovna, is the current head of the House of Romanov since 1992, although this is disputed by Dimitri Romanov, a direct patrilineal descendant of Tsar Nikolai Pavlovich

Indeed. I am not opposed to restoring the Romanovs, but I would prefer along with many others to elect the next Tsar and thus begin a new imperial dynasty.

Russia has a historical precedent for doing that when in 1613 the Boyar elected Mikhail Fyodorovich Romanov as Tsar after the main line of the House of Rurik went extinct. They can certainly have an election
Christus vincit; Christus regnat; Christus imperat
"All things have their season, and in their times all things pass under heaven"--Ecclesiastes 3:1
"Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king."
"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected"--G. K. Chesterton
Pro: British Unionism, Catholicism, Classicism, Conservatism, High Toryism, Monarchism, Traditionalism
Anti: Consumerism, Devolution, Materialism, Modernism, Post-Modernism, Progressivism

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon May 23, 2016 7:51 pm

Atelia wrote:
Britanania wrote: The great-great-granddaughter of Tsar Aleksandr Nikolaevich, Maria Vladimirovna, is the current head of the House of Romanov since 1992, although this is disputed by Dimitri Romanov, a direct patrilineal descendant of Tsar Nikolai Pavlovich

I have the feeling that would end in the Putin Tsarist Dynasty :P

Of course, I'm not saying that's necessarily bad.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Tue May 24, 2016 3:21 am

Britanania wrote:
Atelia wrote:Indeed. I am not opposed to restoring the Romanovs, but I would prefer along with many others to elect the next Tsar and thus begin a new imperial dynasty.

Russia has a historical precedent for doing that when in 1613 the Boyar elected Mikhail Fyodorovich Romanov as Tsar after the main line of the House of Rurik went extinct. They can certainly have an election

But the House of Romanov is not extinct. As long as there is a Romanov claimant to the throne, any other claimant would be an illegitimate usurper.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Aeyariss
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Aeyariss » Tue May 24, 2016 4:12 am

Rio Cana wrote:A Constitutional Monarchy has very little power so why bother at all with having a monarchy.

Tradition, culture, identity. Some nation still have sentimental attachmen toward their royalty. While ceremonial some are the symbol of national unity - Thai for example. The people may hate the junta but they still revered the King.

Grand Calvert
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Calvert » Tue May 24, 2016 4:39 am

Aeyariss wrote:

Tradition, culture, identity. Some nation still have sentimental attachmen toward their royalty. While ceremonial some are the symbol of national unity - Thai for example. The people may hate the junta but they still revered the King.

Yeah but constitutional monarchies are still useless. Either do away with democracy and go full monarchist or just don't have a monarch. None of this middle of the road nonsense. There's no point in having a monarch if they are controlled by democratically elected leaders.
17 year-old Conservative Reformed Baptist
“So when the devil throws your sins in your face and declares that you deserve death and hell, tell him this: "I admit that I deserve death and hell, what of it? For I know One who suffered and made satisfaction on my behalf. His name is Jesus Christ, Son of God, and where He is there I shall be also!” -Martin Luther

Saved...

Sola Gratia (by grace alone)
Sola Fide (through faith alone)
Solus Christus (in Christ alone)
Sola Scriptura (according to scripture alone)
Soli Deo Gloria (for the glory of God alone)

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Tue May 24, 2016 4:48 am

Grand Calvert wrote:
Aeyariss wrote:

Yeah but constitutional monarchies are still useless. Either do away with democracy and go full monarchist or just don't have a monarch. None of this middle of the road nonsense. There's no point in having a monarch if they are controlled by democratically elected leaders.

Constitutional monarchies are not always "controlled by democratic leaders." Executive constitutional monarchies do exist.
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Aeyariss
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Aeyariss » Tue May 24, 2016 4:55 am

Grand Calvert wrote:Yeah but constitutional monarchies are still useless. Either do away with democracy and go full monarchist or just don't have a monarch. None of this middle of the road nonsense. There's no point in having a monarch if they are controlled by democratically elected leaders.

Depends in context, in some constitutional monarchy, the Monarch is above the Executive branch of government and are not dictated by the ruling government but are bound by the constitution. They have their own constitutional function, and does have their own purpose - for example, criticizing the Executive Branch whenever the Head of Government mess up, or giving assent to any Parliamentary act or even to the point of appointing the Head of Government. They have their own purposes.

Still, if there's a King that just sits around, doing nothing, acting all high and mighty on tax payers money and doesnt serve any purpose by all means send them to the guillotine.

Cabana
Minister

Founded: May 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabana » Tue May 24, 2016 4:57 am

I don't really consider myself a monarchist, but I do believe constitutional monarchies like the UK are the best way to go.
Post-Sarcastic Gnostic Anarcho-Fascist
Bezombia wrote:-Reagan was a Pastafarian and had statues of Cthulhu in his bed every night.
-Vladimir Lenin was married to Reagan's wife. Make of that what you will.
come on and slam
Only results! This world only remembers the results!

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Tue May 24, 2016 5:30 am

Aeyariss wrote:
Grand Calvert wrote:Yeah but constitutional monarchies are still useless. Either do away with democracy and go full monarchist or just don't have a monarch. None of this middle of the road nonsense. There's no point in having a monarch if they are controlled by democratically elected leaders.

Depends in context, in some constitutional monarchy, the Monarch is above the Executive branch of government and are not dictated by the ruling government but are bound by the constitution. They have their own constitutional function, and does have their own purpose - for example, criticizing the Executive Branch whenever the Head of Government mess up, or giving assent to any Parliamentary act or even to the point of appointing the Head of Government. They have their own purposes.

Still, if there's a King that just sits around, doing nothing, acting all high and mighty on tax payers money and doesnt serve any purpose by all means send them to the guillotine.

I never fail to be amazed by just how keen republicans are to kill people who happen to be born into a royal or noble bloodline.
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

West Aurelia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby West Aurelia » Tue May 24, 2016 5:34 am

People should not be given power just because of their bloodline.
_REPUBLIC OF WEST AURELIA_
Official factbook
#Valaransofab

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General