NATION

PASSWORD

Gender appropriation?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Parhe
Powerbroker

Founded: May 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Gender appropriation?

Postby Parhe » Thu May 05, 2016 7:05 pm

Social Injustice wrote:As the problem of cultural appropriation (such as the wearing of Native American headdresses by insensitive hipsters) is being rightfully shamed; it lead me to question the idea of gender appropriation.

There exists many gay and transsexual men adopting feminine traits and "identifying" as Women; yet however sincere they may be, why are they allowed to appropriate the identity of women, when in truth they can have little (if any) true idea of what it is to be a Woman? At best their knowledge of the problems, and persecution of Women is not only academic, but also viewed from a position of male privilege.

An example of this could be that of "Caitlin" Jenner who seems to have used this to not only promote the media attention (and Ratings) of "The Kardashians", but perhaps to distract from His court case involving the death resulting from His reckless driving.
This example also leads to the question of those disingenuous enough to use this as a way to escape from checking their privilege.

So what do you think about this NS?

Are you only against transexuals, man to woman, or men in general adopting "feminine traits?" Going to assume you have an issue with both, since gay men don't usually identify as women.

You are basically supporting the continuation of gender roles and division of characteristics and habits between feminine and masculine. If you think that is what is best for women, then, well, speechless.
Hey, it is Parhe :D I am always open to telegrams.
I know it is a Work-In-Progress, but I would love it if y'all looked at my new factbook and gave me some feedback!

BRING BACK THE ICE CLIMBERS

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Thu May 05, 2016 7:06 pm

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:Ghat dammit, people ... you 'bout made me snort my soda here reading some of this. Etsy, I'm looking at you here too. *Points the Finger of Accusation at the Alpaca*

I deny any involvement.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Thu May 05, 2016 7:08 pm

Freedom in Unition wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Oh and, you are acting like being trans is not a real thing.

Science has proven it's simply a mental disorder.

Not since 2012 it hasn't. And as someone has already pointed out, science's recommendation for the treatment of the phenomena known as gender dysphoria is to help the afflicted transition to their preferred gender.

Don't just blindly assume that science must agree with your personal moral judgments.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu May 05, 2016 7:09 pm

So will the OP come back and actually respond to this thread, or are they just going to post and run?
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

The Forsworn Knights
Minister

Founded: Aug 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Forsworn Knights » Thu May 05, 2016 7:10 pm

New haven america wrote:Ban males. *Nod*

But then we will all appropriate your culture to avoid getting kicked out of the bedroom at two in the morning naked.
Primary Author of The Forum Seven Guide to Location Threads
Reploid Productions wrote:It's rude to play with yourself in public.
Farnhamia wrote:
The Forsworn Knights wrote:Well, I assume Max Barry has money. So maybe he could buy a couple reporters.

He could but they don't keep for very long. A week, ten days if you keep them in the fridge, which is never convenient.
Reploid Productions wrote:Swearing is just fucking fine on this goddamn fucking forum
[violet] wrote:Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Thu May 05, 2016 7:11 pm

I am not fucking "appropriating" femininity. I am a woman. Who the hell do you think you are to tell me what I am. Stop with the reactionary bullshit you pass off as "feminism". If you only stand for the rights of cis women you aren't a fucking feminist. There is nothing "radical" about refusing to accept the consensus amongst the psychiatric community that trans women are women. You're bullshit gender essentialism was the same fucking justification given to me be the person who sexually assaulted me. Chessmistress, I have told you numerous times already to shut the fuck up about this issue. You aren't a feminist. You aren't an ally. You don't know what the fuck you are talking about. If you want to help women, stop talking.
EDIT: I mistook this is another one of CM's puppets. While my point still stands, I apologize for my tone.
Last edited by Threlizdun on Thu May 05, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

The Forsworn Knights
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Forsworn Knights » Thu May 05, 2016 7:13 pm

Threlizdun wrote:I am not fucking "appropriating" femininity. I am a woman. Who the hell do you think you are to tell me what I am. Stop with the reactionary bullshit you pass off as "feminism". If you only stand for the rights of cis women you aren't a fucking feminist. There is nothing "radical" about refusing to accept the consensus amongst the psychiatric community that trans women are women. You're bullshit gender essentialism was the same fucking justification given to me be the person who sexually assaulted me. Chessmistress, I have told you numerous times already to shut the fuck up about this issue. You aren't a feminist. You aren't an ally. You don't know what the fuck you are talking about. If you want to help women, stop talking.

Calm down, I personally think his beliefs are stupid, but Modly wrath should be avoided.
Farnhamia wrote:
The Forsworn Knights wrote:Well, I assume Max Barry has money. So maybe he could buy a couple reporters.

He could but they don't keep for very long. A week, ten days if you keep them in the fridge, which is never convenient.
Reploid Productions wrote:Swearing is just fucking fine on this goddamn fucking forum
[violet] wrote:Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Thu May 05, 2016 7:13 pm

Giovenith wrote:No gender owns anything. Do whatever you want.

And quit trying to pretend like we can't see a bush-beating argument for transphobia fifty miles away.

At least it's not in the Transgender thread.

Trotskylvania wrote:
Freedom in Unition wrote:Science has proven it's simply a mental disorder.

Medical science also recommends sex reassignment as a highly effective treatment for gender dysphoria. Disorders are simply things that cause distress to the person, it is not an ethical judgment.

And even where this to be the case, the radical freedom to choose who you want to be is something to be supported. If someone wants to change their sex, what's it to you, bub? It neither breaks your leg nor picks your pocket.

And the distress makes the matter life or death for many. For others like myself, it's transition before it gets to that point and I have a family that would unravel. It's a lot easier to transition when one doesn't have a SO and kids.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Thu May 05, 2016 7:13 pm

Threlizdun wrote:I am not fucking "appropriating" femininity. I am a woman. Who the hell do you think you are to tell me what I am. Stop with the reactionary bullshit you pass off as "feminism". If you only stand for the rights of cis women you aren't a fucking feminist. There is nothing "radical" about refusing to accept the consensus amongst the psychiatric community that trans women are women. You're bullshit gender essentialism was the same fucking justification given to me be the person who sexually assaulted me. Chessmistress, I have told you numerous times already to shut the fuck up about this issue. You aren't a feminist. You aren't an ally. You don't know what the fuck you are talking about. If you want to help women, stop talking.

Chill. It's not CM.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Thu May 05, 2016 7:13 pm

Congrats!
You win first prize! ((A warm feeling of satisfaction!)
Lets see how long it takes for the others to figure it out!

From the OP to me for being the first to call the bait.

Ya school of fish

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Thu May 05, 2016 7:14 pm

Please don't get yourself bant over this. Chessmisstress ain't worth it.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Thu May 05, 2016 7:15 pm

People like Chess have no influence in the real world, their opinions are the vocal equivalent of an insect trying to breach a beaver dam, it's just futile for them.

Let them live in their vacuum of armchair activism, it's more fun that way. Chessmistress, and I'm not even sure this is chess, is likely some insane person from the dark depths of Sweden who's words matter as much as the Blackberry matters to consumers.

So, yeah, I dunno, pour a drink, watch some Seinfeld, and don't worry about the idiots of the world. Life is more fun that way.
Last edited by Major-Tom on Thu May 05, 2016 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Thu May 05, 2016 7:15 pm

Calm down, Marisa's here. Reinforcements are coming.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu May 05, 2016 7:16 pm

Kelinfort wrote:
Congrats!

Ya school of fish

Sounds to me like something for moderation. If that is a telegram I guess a GHR is needed.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Thu May 05, 2016 7:17 pm

Esternial wrote:

Chill. It's not CM.

It is. She has said before that this is one of her puppets.
She/they

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Thu May 05, 2016 7:18 pm

Threlizdun wrote:
Esternial wrote:Chill. It's not CM.

It is. She has said before that this is one of her puppets.

Then the jig is up, cause she just admitted to being a professional bait and tackle store owner.

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Thu May 05, 2016 7:18 pm

Kelinfort wrote:
Congrats!

Ya school of fish

I guess that's clear malice aforethought.

It's time to send her to Coventry.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Grande Republic of Arcadia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Grande Republic of Arcadia » Thu May 05, 2016 7:18 pm

Social Injustice wrote:As the problem of cultural appropriation (such as the wearing of Native American headdresses by insensitive hipsters) is being rightfully shamed; it lead me to question the idea of gender appropriation.

There exists many gay and transsexual men adopting feminine traits and "identifying" as Women; yet however sincere they may be, why are they allowed to appropriate the identity of women, when in truth they can have little (if any) true idea of what it is to be a Woman? At best their knowledge of the problems, and persecution of Women is not only academic, but also viewed from a position of male privilege.

An example of this could be that of "Caitlin" Jenner who seems to have used this to not only promote the media attention (and Ratings) of "The Kardashians", but perhaps to distract from His court case involving the death resulting from His reckless driving.
This example also leads to the question of those disingenuous enough to use this as a way to escape from checking their privilege.

Listen the whole "Cailtin" Jenner bullshit is for attention if he wanted to truly become a female he would of done it and not made all of the media interviews, and I dont understand how switching gender is "Brave" it isnt all it is is that you have money and know a doctor that can cut off your balls, then they dont pay attention to real heros like soldiers who risk thier lives on the front line here is an example:
GRA overview
https://www.nationstates.net/nation=gra ... /id=636136
GRA military
https://www.nationstates.net/nation=gra ... /id=636075
Proud Member of theINTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!
American Conservative, leaning towards Fascism
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
~General Patton
All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.
~Benito Mussolini

Serconas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 30, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Serconas » Thu May 05, 2016 7:18 pm

The East Marches wrote:

A bait so big the fish won´t be able to swallow it.

God damn OP.
A wild Owl appeared from the tall grass!

Ganonsyoni
Diplomat

Founded: May 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Ganonsyoni » Thu May 05, 2016 7:20 pm

Grande Republic of Arcadia wrote:

Listen the whole "Cailtin" Jenner bullshit is for attention if he wanted to truly become a female he would of done it and not made all of the media interviews, and I dont understand how switching gender is "Brave" it isnt all it is is that you have money and know a doctor that can cut off your balls, then they dont pay attention to real heros like soldiers who risk thier lives on the front line here is an example:
*snip*

Nice generalizations. Are you actually gonna argue or just post bait?
Last edited by Ganonsyoni on Thu May 05, 2016 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New and Improved version of "The Carlisle"
MtF transperson, goes by she/her/hers
Call me Carly

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.” - Orwell

"I'm a god damn Sage"

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Thu May 05, 2016 7:20 pm

Grande Republic of Arcadia wrote:Listen the whole "Cailtin" Jenner bullshit is for attention

i am extremely amused you think the OP is a fan of jenner

I dont understand how switching gender is "Brave" it isnt all it is is that you have money and know a doctor that can cut off your balls

because it's a thing people and do get murdered over when people find out

then they dont pay attention to real heros like soldiers who risk thier lives on the front line here is an example:

we live in a culture that for the most part worships soldiers, not that that is actually relevant to jenner
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Thu May 05, 2016 7:21 pm

Kelinfort wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:It is. She has said before that this is one of her puppets.

Then the jig is up, cause she just admitted to being a professional bait and tackle store owner.

Fuck, I checked the list she has. This isn't one of them. It's just some random person looking to piss people off.
She/they

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Thu May 05, 2016 7:21 pm

Ladies and gentlemen ... this ain't no thing to be getting your assorted knickers in a twist over, seriously. Obvious bait is obvious. Remove hook from mouth, and regain thy chill. I'd hate to see anyone get smacked due to righteous indignation at pure ridiculousness. Redtext gives me a sad these days. :(

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Thu May 05, 2016 7:22 pm

Kelinfort wrote:
Congrats!

Ya school of fish

I suggest submitting a GHR asap.

The Forsworn Knights
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Forsworn Knights » Thu May 05, 2016 7:22 pm

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:Ladies and gentlemen ... this ain't no thing to be getting your assorted knickers in a twist over, seriously. Obvious bait is obvious. Remove hook from mouth, and regain thy chill. I'd hate to see anyone get smacked due to righteous indignation at pure ridiculousness. Redtext gives me a sad these days. :(

Would post a Spongebob gif if I was on my computer.
Farnhamia wrote:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General