NATION

PASSWORD

US General Election Megathread: Trump vs Clinton

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who will win the election?

Donald Trump
29%
Hillary Clinton
55%
Gary Johnson
11%
Jill Stein
5%

Total votes : 94

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:38 am

The Romulan Republic wrote:It got pretty vicious for a while (more some of the supporters than Clinton and Sanders themselves though, at least publicly). But at the end of the day, no one (or at least no one sane) wants party infighting to lead to President Trump. Or affect down-ballot campaigns.

and that's the way its supposed to be because we are all democrats. we all want essentially the same thing. it sucks when your preferred candidate loses the nomination but you have to get over it and look to the greater goal. it cant be just about one person.
whatever

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:51 am

Hallistar wrote:Sometimes I wonder if Hillary secretly worked a deal with Trump to get him to be the Republican nominee so that he'd lose on purpose. I mean he's the only one out of everyone who ran who has lower ratings than her.

From what I understand about her, being POTUS seems to be more or less her life goal, regardless of what it takes.

I mean, it would be pretty cool being POTUS even though it has to be like the most stressful and hardest to get job out there.

I was a bit of a Bernie fan I'll admit. His policies I'm not too sure about, but he seemed to be at-least the most decent guy out there.

Then again, there's a reason why politicians and CEOs are in the top 10 careers for most sociopaths.

I know what you mean! he is far too involved in making money and far to uninvolved in running for president. who else would talk about the beauty of their new hotel suites instead of commenting on brexit the day after the vote? who else would care so little about international news that they wouldn't even study up on the effects of brexit on the US (instead of thinking that a lower pound would hurt US exports he touted that it would make it easier to go to his golf course!)?

is he really even running for president?
whatever

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:38 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Hallistar wrote:Sometimes I wonder if Hillary secretly worked a deal with Trump to get him to be the Republican nominee so that he'd lose on purpose. I mean he's the only one out of everyone who ran who has lower ratings than her.

From what I understand about her, being POTUS seems to be more or less her life goal, regardless of what it takes.

I mean, it would be pretty cool being POTUS even though it has to be like the most stressful and hardest to get job out there.

I was a bit of a Bernie fan I'll admit. His policies I'm not too sure about, but he seemed to be at-least the most decent guy out there.

Then again, there's a reason why politicians and CEOs are in the top 10 careers for most sociopaths.

I know what you mean! he is far too involved in making money and far to uninvolved in running for president. who else would talk about the beauty of their new hotel suites instead of commenting on brexit the day after the vote? who else would care so little about international news that they wouldn't even study up on the effects of brexit on the US (instead of thinking that a lower pound would hurt US exports he touted that it would make it easier to go to his golf course!)?

No, he's not. He's marketing himself; just like Huckabee and Palin did in '08 and '12.
Economic:-8.12 Social:-7.59 Moral Rules:5 Moral Order:-5
Muravyets: Maineiacs, you are brilliant, too! I stand in delighted awe.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
Galloism: If someone will build a wall around Donald Trump, I'll pay for it.
Bottle tells it like it is
add 6,928 to post count

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:42 am

Maineiacs wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

No, he's not. He's marketing himself; just like Huckabee and Palin did in '08 and '12.

He probably thinks he's doing a splendid job marketing himself but he's doing so very badly. Trump brand won't be worth shit after this debacle is over.

Divitaen
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:47 am

Khadgar wrote:
Maineiacs wrote:

He probably thinks he's doing a splendid job marketing himself but he's doing so very badly. Trump brand won't be worth shit after this debacle is over.

I'm more surprised at how epically his slim "polling lead" over Clinton has completely evaporated after all his financial scandals, fraudulent business dealings, racist remarks against an Indiana judge and vile reaction to Orlando just completely turned off a portion of his own voters. Its a testament to what a poor politician he really is.
Hillary Clinton 2016! Stronger Together!
EU Referendum: Vote Leave = Project Hate #VoteRemain!
Economic Right/Left: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.15
Foreign Policy Non-interventionist/Neo-conservative: -10.00
Cultural Liberal/Conservative: -10.00
Social Democrat:
Cosmopolitan/Nationalistic - 38%
Secular/Fundamentalist - 50%
Visionary/Reactionary - 56%
Anarchistic/Authoritarian - 24%
Communistic/Capitalistic - 58%
Pacifist/Militarist - 39%
Ecological/Anthropocentric - 55%

Divitaen
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:48 am

Ashmoria wrote:

Well, whatever he did, it got him this far against a crowded field of Republicans filled with so many alternatives. He did something right to appeal to GOP primary voters (arguably not very difficult, just be nativist and racist).
Hillary Clinton 2016! Stronger Together!
EU Referendum: Vote Leave = Project Hate #VoteRemain!
Economic Right/Left: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.15
Foreign Policy Non-interventionist/Neo-conservative: -10.00
Cultural Liberal/Conservative: -10.00
Social Democrat:
Cosmopolitan/Nationalistic - 38%
Secular/Fundamentalist - 50%
Visionary/Reactionary - 56%
Anarchistic/Authoritarian - 24%
Communistic/Capitalistic - 58%
Pacifist/Militarist - 39%
Ecological/Anthropocentric - 55%

New Jerzylvania
Minister

Founded: Feb 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Jerzylvania » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:22 am

Believe me when I tell you that Hillary & Elizabeth Warren together in Cincinnati OH totally nailed it this morning, I can tell you that! ...lmao.

HRC must have taken some excellent advice in her meeting with Bernie Sanders last week. Thank God.

She has definitely moved towards the left on economics if this speech is any indication of where the Democratic platform is going. Also, the rip roaring introduction by Elizabeth Warren was just scintillating.

The looks Clinton gave Warren during her intro were very quite approving, possibly even telling of intentions. HRC then started her speech with a five - seven minute rave about Elizabeth's service.

The crowd was as animated and enthusiastic as any crowd I have seen for Hillary this entire election cycle. Clinton-Warren sure looked like the blockbuster sort of winning ticket I and others here have envisioned it to be. ;)
Last edited by New Jerzylvania on Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
DEFCON 1

Clinton/Kaine 2016

It is the solemn and patriotic duty of all true Americans to prevent the election of Donald J. Trump as the next President of the United States by use of the ballot box.
Even if it means you might have to be called for jury duty!

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:24 am

New Jerzylvania wrote:Believe me when I tell you that Hillary & Elizabeth Warren together in Cincinnati OH totally nailed it this morning, I can tell you that! ...lmao.

HRC must have taken some excellent advice in her meeting with Bernie Sanders last week. Thank God.

She has definitely moved towards the left on economics if this speech is any indication of where the Democratic platform is going. Also, the rip roaring introduction by Elizabeth Warren was just scintillating.

The looks Clinton gave Warren during her intro were very quite approving, possibly even telling of intentions. HRC then started her speech with a five - seven minute rave about Elizabeth's service.

The crowd was as animated and enthusiastic as any crowd I have seen for Hillary this entire election cycle. Clinton-Warren sure looked like the blockbuster sort of winning ticket I have envisioned it to be.

I loved the way they told good stories about each other and boosted each other.

and how they destroyed Donald trump.
whatever

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:25 am

Divitaen wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

Well, whatever he did, it got him this far against a crowded field of Republicans filled with so many alternatives. He did something right to appeal to GOP primary voters (arguably not very difficult, just be nativist and racist).

the rejection of standard republican politics and politicians should scare the shit out of the republican elite. it is a bigger problem than the nomination of Donald trump. what are they going to do NEXT time with their unsatisfiable base?
whatever

New Jerzylvania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Jerzylvania » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:34 am

Ashmoria wrote:
New Jerzylvania wrote:Believe me when I tell you that Hillary & Elizabeth Warren together in Cincinnati OH totally nailed it this morning, I can tell you that! ...lmao.

The crowd was as animated and enthusiastic as any crowd I have seen for Hillary this entire election cycle. Clinton-Warren sure looked like the blockbuster sort of winning ticket I have envisioned it to be.

I loved the way they told good stories about each other and boosted each other.

It was just an old fashioned "tour de force." Bravo to Hillary for realizing this is the path to a win, maybe even a HYUUUUGE one. :)
DEFCON 1

Clinton/Kaine 2016

It is the solemn and patriotic duty of all true Americans to prevent the election of Donald J. Trump as the next President of the United States by use of the ballot box.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:38 am

New Jerzylvania wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:I loved the way they told good stories about each other and boosted each other.

It was just an old fashioned "tour de force." Bravo to Hillary for realizing this is the path to a win, maybe even a HYUUUUGE one. :)

the 2 of them together was so great that it changed my mind about wanting warren in VP slot (I had been of the mind that she is better in the senate long term). I'm ready for a total lady ticket!
whatever

New Jerzylvania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Jerzylvania » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:42 am

Ashmoria wrote:
New Jerzylvania wrote:

the 2 of them together was so great that it changed my mind about wanting warren in VP slot (I had been of the mind that she is better in the senate long term). I'm ready for a total lady ticket!

Excellent! Hopefully you are the leading edge today of many that will make that same calculation and come on board with this doubling down on democratic female candidates.
Last edited by New Jerzylvania on Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
DEFCON 1

Clinton/Kaine 2016

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:46 am

New Jerzylvania wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:the 2 of them together was so great that it changed my mind about wanting warren in VP slot (I had been of the mind that she is better in the senate long term). I'm ready for a total lady ticket!

Excellent! Hopefully you are the leading edge today of many that will make that same calculation and come on board with this doubling down on democratic female candidates.

it would be a show of Clinton's self confidence that she would be willing to choose such a dynamic vp nominee.
whatever

New Jerzylvania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Jerzylvania » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:58 am

Ashmoria wrote:
New Jerzylvania wrote:

it would be a show of Clinton's self confidence that she would be willing to choose such a dynamic vp nominee.

She is showing some serious renewed life and vigor lately. She holds resilience in her hand in face card spades.

Hillary seems to get that well known and now turned James Carville line "it's the economy youth vote, stupid." Go Clinton-Warren, Go all the way!
Last edited by New Jerzylvania on Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
DEFCON 1

Clinton/Kaine 2016

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Myrensis » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:16 am

I'm a little leery about Warren as VP. Much as I'd like to say I don't think having 2 women on the ticket would be an issue in America in 2016...I think it would be, and given how Hillary has tended to lean a bit too heavily on the sexism card, it could come across as pandering/guilt tripping people.

I dunno, thankfully Trump seems intent on figuring out how to swallow both of his feet, so we have some breathing room.

New Jerzylvania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Jerzylvania » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:19 am

Myrensis wrote:I'm a little leery about Warren as VP. Much as I'd like to say I don't think having 2 women on the ticket would be an issue in America in 2016...I think it would be, and given how Hillary has tended to lean a bit too heavily on the sexism card, it could come across as pandering/guilt tripping people.

I dunno, thankfully Trump seems intent on figuring out how to swallow both of his feet, so we have some breathing room.

Did you see the rally in Cincy today? It really was a game changer in veepstakes.
DEFCON 1

Clinton/Kaine 2016

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:24 am

Myrensis wrote:I'm a little leery about Warren as VP. Much as I'd like to say I don't think having 2 women on the ticket would be an issue in America in 2016...I think it would be, and given how Hillary has tended to lean a bit too heavily on the sexism card, it could come across as pandering/guilt tripping people.

well Clinton wont be announcing her choice until after trump announces his. so if he finds someone good to run with and it might be a game changer she can changer her own choice if necessary.
whatever

New Jerzylvania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Jerzylvania » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:36 am

Ashmoria wrote:

well Clinton wont be announcing her choice until after trump announces his. so if he finds someone good to run with and it might be a game changer she can changer her own choice if necessary.

True, but the chances of Trump finding someone worthy fool enough to put their entire political career aboard the USS Trumptanic is slim. I might as well start referring to Hillary as the ice queen in this analogy. :p

Then there is the Dump Trump dreamers. They could change HRC's veep calculations if they could somehow perform what would likely be a political miracle of some great magnitude.
DEFCON 1

Clinton/Kaine 2016

United States of Atheism
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Atheism » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:38 am

For a libertarian, what is the better choice in your opinion? Trump or Clinton?
Pros: Atheism, Free Market, Legalization of all drugs, Secularism, Freedom from Religion, Abortions, LGBT Rights, Libertarians, MRAs, Humanism
Anti: Religion, Islam, Liberals, Feminist, BLM, Communists, Fascists, Religion impacting government policy, Riot Games, Blizzard, Emo and Scene Kids

Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:38 am

United States of Atheism wrote:For a libertarian, what is the better choice in your opinion? Trump or Clinton?

Johnson.
Hellenic Polytheist, Socialist

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:39 am

United States of Atheism wrote:For a libertarian, what is the better choice in your opinion? Trump or Clinton?

Why not vote for the Libertarian?

isidewith.com is a good resource for anyone wanting to know how they align with a candidate also.
Last edited by Khadgar on Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

United States of Atheism
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Atheism » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:42 am

Khadgar wrote:

isidewith.com is a good resource for anyone wanting to know how they align with a candidate also.

I don't want the consequence of putting the wrong choice in. I am considering Libertarian but I must also consider pragmatism sir. I may also vote below the line and vote for Rand Paul.
Pros: Atheism, Free Market, Legalization of all drugs, Secularism, Freedom from Religion, Abortions, LGBT Rights, Libertarians, MRAs, Humanism
Anti: Religion, Islam, Liberals, Feminist, BLM, Communists, Fascists, Religion impacting government policy, Riot Games, Blizzard, Emo and Scene Kids

Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:45 am

United States of Atheism wrote:
Khadgar wrote:

I don't want the consequence of putting the wrong choice in. I am considering Libertarian but I must also consider pragmatism sir. I may also vote below the line and vote for Rand Paul.

There's no harm in helping the party get 5%, every vote counts.
Hellenic Polytheist, Socialist

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:46 am

the democratic minority report from the latest Benghazi committee is out

http://democrats-benghazi.house.gov/sit ... ragedy.pdf
whatever

United States of Atheism
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Atheism » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:48 am

Washington Resistance Army wrote:
United States of Atheism wrote:I don't want the consequence of putting the wrong choice in. I am considering Libertarian but I must also consider pragmatism sir. I may also vote below the line and vote for Rand Paul.

There's no harm in helping the party get 5%, every vote counts.

My results: Image I will probably vote Libertarian but it requires some thought.
Last edited by United States of Atheism on Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General