NATION

PASSWORD

The Taliban's Strong in Afghanistan Again

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Arumbia67
Diplomat

Founded: May 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Arumbia67 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:08 pm

Novus America wrote:
Arumbia67 wrote:Gee It's almost like it wasn't worth going in it all.

Things are still much better in Afganistan then they were under the Taliban's rule. However we did not go into Afganistan for human rights. We went in because we had no choice.

What happens in Afghanistan isn't our problem. We aren't the world police.
When people say Bernie Sanders could win the presidency- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0
"Patriotism means supporting your country all the time, and your Government when it deserves it"-Mark Twain

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:21 pm

Arumbia67 wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Things are still much better in Afganistan then they were under the Taliban's rule. However we did not go into Afganistan for human rights. We went in because we had no choice.

But what happens in New York is our problem. Hence why we got involved in Afganistan.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

UED
Senator

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby UED » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:57 pm

Novus America wrote:
Arumbia67 wrote:Gee It's almost like it wasn't worth going in it all.

^^^
We needed to response in some form against Al-Qaeda. To right the wrong but also to defend our reputation.
Political and religious views don't define whether you are a good or bad person, unless you want to actively hurt everyone who doesn't believe what you say.

Freefall11111
Negotiator

Founded: May 31, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Freefall11111 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:53 am

Arumbia67 wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Except you basically are.

Seraven
Senator

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Seraven » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:55 am

Arumbia67 wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Except it is your problem since the second you decided to supplied the Mujahideen with logistics and military support.

And yes, United States of America kind of acting like world police because you have the means and resources to be one.
Copper can change as its quality went down.
Gold can't change, for its quality never went down.
The Alma Mater wrote:
Seraven wrote:I know right! Whites enslaved the natives, they killed them, they converted them forcibly, they acted like a better human beings than the Muslims.

An excellent example of why allowing unrestricted immigration of people with a very different culture might not be the best idea ever :P

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:22 am

UED wrote:
Novus America wrote:

^^^
We needed to response in some form against Al-Qaeda. To right the wrong but also to defend our reputation.

Yeah, too bad you started by invading the wrong country. America held the worlds sympathy that day, they could have done a lot of good, instead they wasted it on war and team Americanism.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:40 am

Seraven wrote:
Arumbia67 wrote:What happens in Afghanistan isn't our problem. We aren't the world police.

Except it is your problem since the second you decided to supplied the Mujahideen with logistics and military support.

And yes, United States of America kind of acting like world police because you have the means and resources to be one.

Again the Taliban is not the Mujahideen. Many of those fighting the Taliban are former Mujahideen, and many Taliban were never Mujahideen. The Mujahideen were are very diverse group. The Taliban are not diverse at all.

And the US no longer has the means or resources to be world's police anymore. We are a not what we used to be. We need to get our own house in order first. But in the case of Afghanistan it is not world's police, it is simply self defense. If it were not for 9-11 we would have kept ignoring Afghanistan.
Last edited by Novus America on Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:43 am

Dooom35796821595 wrote:
UED wrote:
^^^

Yeah, too bad you started by invading the wrong country. America held the worlds sympathy that day, they could have done a lot of good, instead they wasted it on war and team Americanism.

Umm your chronology is off. We started by invading the right country. We invaded the wrong country a few years later.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:50 am

Novus America wrote:
Dooom35796821595 wrote:

Umm your chronology is off. We started by invading the right country. We invaded the wrong country a few years later.

Oh yeah...I am really bad with historic timelines. :p
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Aryavartha
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 16, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Aryavartha » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:28 pm

Novus America wrote:Umm your chronology is off. We started by invading the right country. We invaded the wrong country a few years later.

well, it did not start it right. It allied with the wrong country.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:44 am

Aryavartha wrote:
Novus America wrote:Umm your chronology is off. We started by invading the right country. We invaded the wrong country a few years later.

well, it did not start it right. It allied with the wrong country.

Well as much as I dislike the government of Pakistan, geography forces our hand in this case. Pakistan controls Afganistan's sea access.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Islamic emriate of afghanistan
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic emriate of afghanistan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:52 am

The mujahedeen liberated Afghanistan from the Russians and their puppets in 80's and now mujahedeen will do the same with the Americans and their puppets.
Pro: Taliban, Al Qaeda, AQAP, Al nusra, Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan, Osama bin laden, Mullah Omar, Al Shabaab, mujahedeen, Sunni Islam
Anti: USA, UK, EU, NATO, Pakistan, Iran, Assad, Putin, ISIS, Communism, Shia Islam, Infidels, Russia

Behran
Envoy

Founded: Jun 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Behran » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:44 pm

Islamic emriate of afghanistan wrote:The mujahedeen liberated Afghanistan from the Russians and their puppets in 80's and now mujahedeen will do the same with the Americans and their puppets.

Wait until Shiite mujahedeen which is the real mujahedeen come and slaughter your terrorist friends and their Saudi, American and Zionist puppet masters.

Tule
Senator

Founded: Jan 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tule » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:20 pm

The Taliban are practically an extension of the Pakistani Inter-Services Intelligence.

They will remain strong in Afghanistan as long as Pakistani intelligence continues to prop them up.

The US needs to put Pakistan over its knee and give it a good and proper paddling.
Last edited by Tule on Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as Bafuria.

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 09, 2005
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:23 pm

Ralkovian Grand Island wrote:Thanks Obama. No literally thanks Obama.

In the case of pulling out, once again the Democrats wanted to leave long before the job was finished. It should be no wonder that this turned into a Vietnam.
If you start a war, you stay in until the dust settles and then you stay a bit longer till you're sure the enemy is dead. Pulling out long before you finish is no good for anyone.

Funnny thing though, US-Vietnamese relations are pretty good these days, Hilton even set-up a (real) luxury-hotel in Hanoi.

But the reason for that is the power-vacume left behind caused Cambodian-Vietnamese relations to go bad, which caused China to get a bit trigger-happy and invade, pretty much ruining the idea of a monolithic communist-superblock... effectively containing that can of worms in favor of a compartmentalized cluster of ideologies that fought amongst themselves.

The buildup of war material also had the fringe-benefit of preventing Vietnam from becoming "China's second Tibet", albeit in the bloody expense of a rapidly escalated war. Soviet-Russian support for Vietnam continued, but due to economic crisis of 1984, and the turmoil of the 1993 shelling of the parliament of the supreme soviet... that avenue of funding quickly withered and died.

But yeah, I get your point, even though your comparison appears flawed. Vietnam was more like Iraq... if Iran and Syria had decided to invade... followed by Turkey and maybe a smattering of Russian tourists with T-90Ms. Followed by America invading briefly Israel by mistake for 35 hours because 1960's military-intellegence.

So yeah, track record:
America lets the UN-burocracy fight war in Korea using their assets = Bloody stalemate forever-war that nobody really wanted.
America fights a war in Vietnam (and Cambodia, other regions incl.) = US-Vietnam relations good
America helps Afghanis repulse soviet invasion = US-Afghan relations all time low

Not pictured: sanctions up the butt to the eyeballs.

Edit: Hi Ralk!
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:48 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Factbook and general referance thread.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)
Due to population-cuts, military-size currently being revised

The People's Republic of Hurtful Thoughts is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Leader with an even hand, and renowned for its compulsory military service, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and smutty television.
Mokostana wrote:See, Hurty cared not if the mission succeeded or not, as long as it was spectacular trainwreck. Sometimes that was the host Nation firing a SCUD into a hospital to destroy a foreign infection and accidentally sparking a rebellion... or accidentally starting the Mokan Drug War

Blackhelm Confederacy wrote:If there was only a "like" button for NS posts....

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:15 pm

Tule wrote:The Taliban are practically an extension of the Pakistani Inter-Services Intelligence.

They will remain strong in Afghanistan as long as Pakistani intelligence continues to prop them up.

The US needs to put Pakistan over its knee and give it a good and proper paddling.

Well they kind of have us stuck. We need them in Afganistan, but at the same time the both help us and hurt us there. We could punish Pakistan, but then the Taliban wins in Afghanistan. We can not punish Pakistan, and they both help us and hurt us at the same time. It is a higly delicate situation. Especially as Pakistan has a divided unstable mess of a government. The ISI (Pakistani Intel) is a state within a state and largely free of any oversight and control by the government.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:21 pm

Novus America wrote:
Tule wrote:The Taliban are practically an extension of the Pakistani Inter-Services Intelligence.

Well they kind of have us stuck. We need them in Afganistan, but at the same time the both help us and hurt us there. We could punish Pakistan, but then the Taliban wins in Afghanistan. We can not punish Pakistan, and they both help us and hurt us at the same time. It is a higly delicate situation. Especially as Pakistan has a divided unstable mess of a government. The ISI (Pakistani Intel) is a state within a state and largely free of any oversight and control by the government.

You'd think India would be getting war-happy... but then I remember what their Arjun tanks are like.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)

The People's Republic of Hurtful Thoughts is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Leader with an even hand, and renowned for its compulsory military service, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and smutty television.
Mokostana wrote:See, Hurty cared not if the mission succeeded or not, as long as it was spectacular trainwreck. Sometimes that was the host Nation firing a SCUD into a hospital to destroy a foreign infection and accidentally sparking a rebellion... or accidentally starting the Mokan Drug War

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:39 pm

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:
Novus America wrote:

You'd think India would be getting war-happy... but then I remember what their Arjun tanks are like.

Well Pakistan has nukes. Considering what happened in 1971 (India completely crushed Pakistan) India could win in a conventional war, hence why Pakistan developed nukes. While the India military has problems, India is far more powerful, and its military much better. Of course Pakistan sets a VERY low bar. India could have (and maybe should have) dissolved Pakistan entirely in 1971 but chose not to. India has plenty of valid grounds to go to war with Pakistan, but India treats Pakistan with kid gloves. Pakistan could be split between India and Afghanistan, but that is not going to happen.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:24 pm

Novus America wrote:
Hurtful Thoughts wrote:You'd think India would be getting war-happy... but then I remember what their Arjun tanks are like.

Well Pakistan has nukes. Considering what happened in 1971 (India completely crushed Pakistan) India could win in a conventional war, hence why Pakistan developed nukes. While the India military has problems, India is far more powerful, and its military much better. Of course Pakistan sets a VERY low bar. India could have (and maybe should have) dissolved Pakistan entirely in 1971 but chose not to. India has plenty of valid grounds to go to war with Pakistan, but India treats Pakistan with kid gloves. Pakistan could be split between India and Afghanistan, but that is not going to happen.

India go nukes too.

Funny how when I was born, we were still dropping nukes on our own soil. Not sure if most of the people posting here can say that.
-Grew up knowing that if Russia, China, and America were willing to nuke themselves soooo badly... and we're still alive... on what grounds are they not launching missiles against those that displease them?

Because the world will totally survive a 15 gigaton nuclear exchange. Since it technically already has.
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)

Lonograd
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Lonograd » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:12 am

Novus America wrote:
Lonograd wrote:For the hundredth time the democratic republic of Afghanistan was not a soviet puppet.

It most definitely was. It was established and ma attained via Soviet backed coups.

Just because the soviet union supported the coup does not mean it was a puppet, afghanistan was an ALLY of the soviet union not a PUPPET.
Last edited by Lonograd on Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pro: Palestine, PFLP, Communism, Assad, Marxist-Leninism, Socialism, DPRK, Houthis, Hezbollah, Nasser, Secularism, Polisario front, Gaddafi, Syrian Ba'ath Party, Donbass, Kemalism, Left-Wing Nationalism

Anti: FSA, Tahir Al Sham, ISIS, Al Qaeda, Capitalism, Erdoğan, Israel, USA, NATO, Saudi Arabia, YPG, SDF, The Muslim brotherhood, Islamism, Trotskyism
The Lonogradian Arab Republic

Population: 22,000,000
Military: 500,000
Government: Presidential Republic under the control of the Arab Socialist Ba'ath Party
Capital city: Damascus
Leader: Bashir Aladeen

My Nation is not communist nor Russian

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:15 am

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:
Novus America wrote:

India go nukes too.

Funny how when I was born, we were still dropping nukes on our own soil. Not sure if most of the people posting here can say that.
-Grew up knowing that if Russia, China, and America were willing to nuke themselves soooo badly... and we're still alive... on what grounds are they not launching missiles against those that displease them?

Because the world will totally survive a 15 gigaton nuclear exchange. Since it technically already has.

Well yes India has to have nukes, because Pakistan has them. Nuclear weapons are used primarily for deterence. It does reduce the chance of conventional war as people are afraid of it escalating into a nuclear exchange.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:16 am

Lonograd wrote:
Novus America wrote:
It most definitely was. It was established and ma attained via Soviet backed coups.

Just because the soviet union supported the coup does not mean it was a puppet, afghanistan was an ALLY of the soviet union not a PUPPET.

Umm when the Soviets had a problem with one of its leaders they sent Spetsnaz to murder him. And it collapsed after the Soviet Union fell. It most certainly was a Soviet puppet.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Milizewe
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Milizewe » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:48 am

Novus America wrote:
Lonograd wrote:Just because the soviet union supported the coup does not mean it was a puppet, afghanistan was an ALLY of the soviet union not a PUPPET.

Umm when the Soviets had a problem with one of its leaders they sent Spetsnaz to murder him. And it collapsed after the Soviet Union fell. It most certainly was a Soviet puppet.

That kinda proves they weren't a puppet if the Soviets had to go out and kill one of them.

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Britannia » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:15 am

Milizewe wrote:
Novus America wrote:

That kinda proves they weren't a puppet if the Soviets had to go out and kill one of them.

You need to replace a puppet when it malfunctions.
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:44 am

Milizewe wrote:
Novus America wrote:

No, especially because after that no one would dare oppose the Soviet dictates as they were literally death threats.
And when a puppet ceases to work properly, you toss it and buy a new one.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General