NATION

PASSWORD

Libertarian Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What should be the next title of the Libertarian Discussion Thread?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:05 pm

Libertarian Discussion Thread II: Atlas Hugged
14%
Libertarian Discussion Thread II: Would You Kindly?
25%
Libertarian Discussion Thread II: Recreational Nukes
46%
Libertarian Discussion Thread II: A Man Chooses, A Slave Obeys
14%
Other option (say in thread)
No votes

Total votes : 28

New Jerzylvania
Minister

Founded: Feb 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Attack ~ (apologies to Danger Mouse)

Postby New Jerzylvania » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:15 am

“Attack” ~ (apologies to Danger Mouse)

Untouched by walls where borders meet, and
Didn't explain, but
Madly showed them our craze
Just wanting to die

Cast down
It was Satan sent, and
To the mosque no intent to repent
On my knees, just to cry

Until you travel to that place you can't come back
When the last bombings done and all that's left is wrecked

Pray nights Allah's coming for me, and
Some day
They'll punish my deeds, and they'll find
All the crimes
But then asked when you're gonna free them
Then they're going to
Ask to deal the boasts, the walls, the schemes
Oh, I plot mine

At last those coming came and they never looked back
With deadly planes in their skies then New York's attacked

Fooled them hoping to seem
Like a slave of evil but the product of greed and
It's such a mess so be honest with me
We can't afford to ignore that we're the disease

Tactical since we had to be, and
Then they were all taking flak for me
Worlds collide
Bombs inside
And when you follow through
with huge winds at your back
Looking on up, where's heaven, the sky
mushroom clouds have turned it black

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3yAx2uCoHs
Last edited by New Jerzylvania on Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
DEFCON 1

Clinton/Kaine 2016

It is the solemn and patriotic duty of all true Americans to prevent the election of Donald J. Trump as the next President of the United States by use of the ballot box.
Even if it means you might have to be called for jury duty!

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:43 pm

Since we are on the topic of songs...know any good favorite libertarian songs? Dime a dozen but they exist.

This ought to be my favorite, from a British anarcho-punk turned into a classical liberal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk_6kwZbNJs

Once an honest man could go from sunrise to its set
Without encountering agents of his state or government
But a sorry cloud of tyranny has fallen across the land
Brought on by the hollow men who did not understand

That for centuries our forefathers have fought and often died
To keep themselves unto themselves, to fight the rising tide
That if in the smallest battles we surrender to the state
We enter in a darkness whence we never shall escape

When they raise their hands up our lives to possess
To know our souls, to drag us down, we'll resist

Watt Tyler led the people in 1381
To meet the king at Smithfield to issue this demand
That Winchester's should be the only law across the land
The law of old King Alfred's time of free and honest men

'Cause the people then they understood what we have since forgot
That the government will only work for its own benefit
And I'd rather stand up naked against the elements alone
Than give the hollow men the right to enter in my home

When they raise their hands up our lives to possess
To know our souls, to drag us down, we'll resist

Stand up, sons of liberty, and fight for what you own
Stand up, sons of liberty, and fight, fight for your homes
Stand up, sons of liberty, and fight for what you own
Stand up, sons of liberty, and fight, fight for your homes

Stand up sons of liberty, and fight for what you own
Stand up sons of liberty, and fight, fight for your homes
Stand up sons of liberty, and fight for what you own
Stand up sons of liberty, and fight, fight for your homes

So if ever a man should ask you for your business or your name
Tell him to go and fuck himself, tell his friends to do the same
'Cause a man who'd trade his liberty for a safe and dreamless sleep
Doesn't deserve the both of them and neither shall he keep
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 20, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:17 pm

George Will Leaves the GOP

He's currently unaffiliated but, based on his views by what I looked up, it is possible for him to vote Libertarian.
A Golden Civic: The New Pragmatic Libertarian
My Words: Indeed, Indubitably & Malarkey
Retired Admin in NSGS and NS Parliament

Accountant, Author, History Buff, Political Junkie
“Has ambition so eclipsed principle?” ~ Mitt Romney
"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." ~ Albert Einstein
"Trust, but verify." ~ Ronald Reagan

New Jerzylvania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Jerzylvania » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:20 pm

Zurkerx wrote:George Will Leaves the GOP

He's currently unaffiliated but, based on his views by what I looked up, it is possible for him to vote Libertarian.

Much more so than for HRC. I'd bet the house and farm on that proposition. Whether he endorses is quite another matter.
DEFCON 1

Clinton/Kaine 2016

It is the solemn and patriotic duty of all true Americans to prevent the election of Donald J. Trump as the next President of the United States by use of the ballot box.

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:23 pm

New Jerzylvania wrote:
Zurkerx wrote:George Will Leaves the GOP

Much more so than for HRC. I'd bet the house and farm on that proposition. Whether he endorses is quite another matter.

Yeah, we'll see what happens but announcing you are voting for someone is basically an endorsement.

"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." ~ Albert Einstein

New Jerzylvania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Jerzylvania » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:40 pm

Zurkerx wrote:
New Jerzylvania wrote:

Yeah, we'll see what happens but announcing you are voting for someone is basically an endorsement.

Will currently isn't anyone's fanboy as far as I know. He may just wanna let some more air out of Trump's rapidly plummeting hot air balloon-o-sphere of a campaign.
DEFCON 1

Clinton/Kaine 2016

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:53 pm

New Jerzylvania wrote:
Zurkerx wrote:

Will currently isn't anyone's fanboy as far as I know. He may just wanna let some more air out of Trump's rapidly plummeting hot air balloon-o-sphere of a campaign.

Well, he'll be awaiting a while because his supporters will definitely will keep giving him air as they descend down to their demise.

In other news, I bought two Gary Johnson signs.
Last edited by Zurkerx on Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Jerzylvania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Jerzylvania » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:01 pm

Zurkerx wrote:
New Jerzylvania wrote:

Well, he'll be awaiting a while because his supporters will definitely will keep giving him air as they descend down to their demise.

Hope he goes down in the frigid North Atlantic.

Is Weld's name on them? I haven't seen one around here yet.
DEFCON 1

Clinton/Kaine 2016

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:06 pm

New Jerzylvania wrote:
Zurkerx wrote:

Hope he goes down in the frigid North Atlantic.

Is Weld's name on them? I haven't seen one around here yet.

Not these ones, I got them from the LP for five dollars each. I do know there are ones with Weld's name on them.

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:47 pm

Hmm the EU. I am not a fan of it but, I don't think Britain shouldn't have left yet. However, knowing that this will take a few years to complete, I can see in the long term that there will be benefits though, they have to do it right.

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:53 pm

Gary Johnson: UK rejected 'crony capitalism' with Brexit

No shit, from farmers subsidies to useless regulations that only benefit multinationals, the EU is a crony capitalist powerhouse.

Now Big Business is trying to punish Britain for leaving by directing it's pocket filled politicians and lobbyists to attempt to burn bridges.

Yes, I am back(ish)

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:53 pm

Zurkerx wrote:Hmm the EU. I am not a fan of it but, I don't think Britain shouldn't have left yet. However, knowing that this will take a few years to complete, I can see in the long term that there will be benefits though, they have to do it right.

That's where I'm at. In theory, I'm not against Britain leaving the EU, but at this point, I don't think they're prepared for the natural negative effects it will have. I hate overbearing organizations as much as anyone, but I think this is too far, too fast. It's like trying to sprint before you've learned how to stand. I don't think this is going to end very well.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:00 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Zurkerx wrote:Hmm the EU. I am not a fan of it but, I don't think Britain shouldn't have left yet. However, knowing that this will take a few years to complete, I can see in the long term that there will be benefits though, they have to do it right.

That's where I'm at. In theory, I'm not against Britain leaving the EU, but at this point, I don't think they're prepared for the natural negative effects it will have. I hate overbearing organizations as much as anyone, but I think this is too far, too fast. It's like trying to sprint before you've learned how to stand. I don't think this is going to end very well.

How do you really "phase the EU out slowly" though? It'll take them two years to negotiate all the deals, isn't that enough time?

Much of the initial negative effects have already rebounded. Check the stock market.

Yes, I am back(ish)

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:00 pm

Idzequitch wrote:

The thing is, the EU should of just been a Free Trade deal, that's it. Their attempt to make a quasi-European State is not going well. Not every single thing works in every single country. However, as much as it sucks, it kept things somewhat tied together so if they did fall apart, then they would hurt everyone else.

West Verrica
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby West Verrica » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:05 pm

post removed.
Last edited by West Verrica on Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Subjectivity is Truth"

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:09 pm

West Verrica wrote:I'm interested to see how the negotiations go, they are really what is going to determine the UK's future, along with Scotland’s decision. I'm pretty strongly in favour of brexit and I'm very hopeful that they might maintain free trade with the rest of Europe. I'm a little bummed out they don't what freedom of movement, but what can you do.

Look at it this way: With independence achieved, UKIP now has to rely solely on anti-immigration rhetoric and can no longer get the votes of single issue voters (on the EU). That's one less reason for people to vote for UKIP. In fact it was their main selling argument, besides "brown people omg stop them!"

Edit: G'nite
Last edited by The Liberated Territories on Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes, I am back(ish)

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:11 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:That's where I'm at. In theory, I'm not against Britain leaving the EU, but at this point, I don't think they're prepared for the natural negative effects it will have. I hate overbearing organizations as much as anyone, but I think this is too far, too fast. It's like trying to sprint before you've learned how to stand. I don't think this is going to end very well.

How do you really "phase the EU out slowly" though? It'll take them two years to negotiate all the deals, isn't that enough time?

Much of the initial negative effects have already rebounded. Check the stock market.

I'll admit I'm limited in my knowledge of the whole situation, and if it really is going to be a two year process, then maybe that will do. I just think Britain needs to solidify where it stands with the rest of Europe before they leave. Make sure they're in a decent place economically too. There will be some benefits, but also some pains that come from leaving, and they need to be prepared to deal with those. If that necessitated staying in the EU awhile longer, then I think that would be worth it in the long run. But again, as I said, I have only a broad knowledge of the situation. I'm far from the most qualified person to talk about the subject.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:21 pm

Idzequitch wrote:

I'll admit I'm limited in my knowledge of the whole situation, and if it really is going to be a two year process, then maybe that will do. I just think Britain needs to solidify where it stands with the rest of Europe before they leave. Make sure they're in a decent place economically too. There will be some benefits, but also some pains that come from leaving, and they need to be prepared to deal with those. If that necessitated staying in the EU awhile longer, then I think that would be worth it in the long run. But again, as I said, I have only a broad knowledge of the situation. I'm far from the most qualified person to talk about the subject.

It will take two years to have everything renegotiated and stuff. However, I am more worried about other nations leaving in a short time frame. Europe is not doing well and that could lead to turmoil. Russia I know is enjoying this.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:30 pm

I have mixed feelings about the Brexit thing. On one hand, there are some legit problems with the EU, and the Brits certainly have the right to leave if that's what they want. I understand sharing a government with other people that are doing stuff you don't agree with, and getting frustrated, and wanting out of it. Considering how often Brits had issues with the EU's standardizing things, I'm not sure they ever entirely fit in. OTOH, leaving does come with a cost, and I am not sure if it was actually a smart move to leave once you consider the economic fallout.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Minzerland
Minister

Founded: Apr 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:55 pm

USS Monitor wrote:

I have mixed feelings about the Brexit thing. On one hand, there are some legit problems with the EU, and the Brits certainly have the right to leave if that's what they want. I understand sharing a government with other people that are doing stuff you don't agree with, and getting frustrated, and wanting out of it. Considering how often Brits had issues with the EU's standardizing things, I'm not sure they ever entirely fit in. OTOH, leaving does come with a cost, and I am not sure if it was actually a smart move to leave once you consider the economic fallout.

How long do you think the economic recession will last? (I'm genuinely curious, because, to be frank, I have no idea)
'Common sense isn't so common.'
-Voltaire

'I Disapprove of What You Say, But I Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Say It.'
-Evelyn Beatrice Hall

I'm a Tribune of the Plebs, so watch out, or I might just veto you. You may call me Minzerland or Sam.
Classical Libertarianism|Constitutional Monarchy|Secularism|Westphalian Sovereignty|
_[' ]_
(-_Q)

Hello, people persistently believe I'm American, I'm here to remedy this; I'm an Australian of English, Swiss-Italian (on my mothers side), Scottish and Irish (on my fathers side) dissent.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:58 pm

Minzerland wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

How long do you think the economic recession will last? (I'm genuinely curious, because, to be frank, I have no idea)

I don't know either. I think a lot depends on whether other countries leave the EU and whether Scotland or Northern Ireland leave the UK. It's disruptive to have borders and political structures shifting all the time.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Minzerland
Minister

Founded: Apr 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:02 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Minzerland wrote:

I don't know either. I think a lot depends on whether other countries leave the EU and whether Scotland or Northern Ireland leave the UK. It's disruptive to have borders and political structures shifting all the time.

I don't think Scotland is going anywhere, any time soon. Ireland though, might be another story.
'Common sense isn't so common.'
-Voltaire

'I Disapprove of What You Say, But I Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Say It.'
-Evelyn Beatrice Hall

I'm a Tribune of the Plebs, so watch out, or I might just veto you. You may call me Minzerland or Sam.
Classical Libertarianism|Constitutional Monarchy|Secularism|Westphalian Sovereignty|
_[' ]_
(-_Q)

Hello, people persistently believe I'm American, I'm here to remedy this; I'm an Australian of English, Swiss-Italian (on my mothers side), Scottish and Irish (on my fathers side) dissent.

Chelta
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chelta » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:12 am

West Verrica wrote:I'm interested to see how the negotiations go, they are really what is going to determine the UK's future, along with Scotland’s decision. I'm pretty strongly in favour of brexit and I'm very hopeful that they might maintain free trade with the rest of Europe. I'm a little bummed out they don't what freedom of movement, but what can you do.

Look at it this way: With independence achieved, UKIP now has to rely solely on anti-immigration rhetoric and can no longer get the votes of single issue voters (on the EU). That's one less reason for people to vote for UKIP. In fact it was their main selling argument, besides "brown people omg stop them!"

Edit: G'nite

It's been really surreal watching UKIP go from being a respectable albeit eccentric classical liberal outfit to the angry populist nationalist movement it is now. But whatever, it's served its purpose.

Vuzghulia wrote:An uncivilized nation ... institutions do not meet civilized standards ... barely fit to be called a nation ... the people's beer smells like hobo-urine, their sports are silly and feminine ... your music is ridiculed ... nobody takes your politicians seriously ... it would be a public service if someone invaded and taught your people civilized ways.

Breheim wrote:Chelta is a den of deviants.

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:02 am

I see the RealClearPolitics has added trend lines now for the three way and four way races.

West Verrica
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby West Verrica » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:19 am

post removed.
Last edited by West Verrica on Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Subjectivity is Truth"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General