NATION

PASSWORD

[US Election 2016] Democratic Primary Megathread III

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:04 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Galloism wrote:Psst, you can do your part to prevent that by showing up and voting for Hillary.

Oh, this again. The "Your vote matters" spiel. I get this every time I come in here.

Well, it does in the aggregate, unless you don't live in a swing state.

PSST: Texas and Mississippi *might* be swing states this year. Hilariously.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:04 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Galloism wrote:Psst, you can do your part to prevent that by showing up and voting for Hillary.

Oh, this again. The "Your vote matters" spiel. I get this every time I come in here.

Yep. You only joined up with Bernie because you thought it was cool. Didn't even fucking bother to understand his vision and what he was planning with it.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:04 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:

Probably because your vote matters. These people aren't selected by drawing names out of a hat.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:04 pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:I'm "sour", cause Trump just won the goddamn presidency.

You want to waste your right to vote, that's your call.

I would appreciate it, however, if you would stop trying to encourage others to do likewise by telling them the election is already lost in fucking July.

Well, I don't know how to sugarcoat it, but that's exactly what it is. It's either waste my vote on Hillary, which wont matter cause she won't win anyway, or just not vote. I'm going with option B.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:05 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:

Voting is, by nature, a collective enterprise. One vote will seldom win an election, but if enough people say their vote doesn't matter... it matters.

Many great things are achieved by the efforts of millions. To say that something does not matter because you can't do it alone, frankly, stinks of egotism.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:05 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:Oh, this again. The "Your vote matters" spiel. I get this every time I come in here.

Probably because your vote matters. These people aren't selected by drawing names out of a hat.

That might arguably be a better system.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:06 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:Oh, this again. The "Your vote matters" spiel. I get this every time I come in here.

Yep. You only joined up with Bernie because you thought it was cool. Didn't even fucking bother to understand his vision and what he was planning with it.

I already explained why I was pulling for Bernie. So save it.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:06 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:

I would appreciate it, however, if you would stop trying to encourage others to do likewise by telling them the election is already lost in fucking July.

Well, I don't know how to sugarcoat it, but that's exactly what it is. It's either waste my vote on Hillary, which wont matter cause she won't win anyway, or just not vote. I'm going with option B.

It's insane. You can't even see the contradictions in your own argument. You're willing to bitch about Trump probably winning (which isn't actually that probable), but not willing to do your part to try to make sure that it doesn't happen. Your credibility at this point is nonexistent.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:07 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Gauthier wrote:

Please. Your whining diatribe indicates you know jack shit about what Sanders sees, and that is a strong indication that you only signed up hoping for cool points.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:08 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:

Let us say, for the sake of argument, that you are right. Let us say that God Almighty descended from Heaven today and told us that Trump would win, no matter what.

I would still say go out and vote. Use your God damn right to stand up and say that Trump is not my choice. That I will not sit silently as fascistic buffoon and possible Putin lap dog takes over America. Add your voice to those who said no.

At least then you will be able to say that you stood for something other than apathy.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:10 pm

Hell, vote down ballot. Vote for Congress and Governor.

The Presidency is not the be all and end all of politics.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:11 pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:Hell, vote down ballot. Vote for Congress and Governor.

Shush. Stop spreading your filthy Clintonite lies. The downballot must continue to be ignored by all liberals, thus say I, representative of the vast right wing oligarchy.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:12 pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:Hell, vote down ballot. Vote for Congress and Governor.

Better idea. I'll do none of that, and go play League of Legends. Cause I'm tired of this for today. Toodles.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:12 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Gauthier wrote:

Did you miss the part about us all being in this together, and how during the debates, he said that regardless of their differences, Hillary Clinton and him were still one hundred times better than any of the Republicans? Or did you just hear the bits about a rigged system, and think "Yeah! Rigged system! Fight the man!" with no thought the the amount of civic responsibility that it actually takes to work against a rigged system?

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:13 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:

Better idea. I'll do none of that, and go play League of Legends. Cause I'm tired of this for today. Toodles.

So you just wanted attention when you were never planning to do shit in the first place.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:14 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:

Probably for the best. At this point, and considering your judgment skills, I'm not sure that I'd trust you with the responsibility of holding a remote control, much less voting.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:14 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:Better idea. I'll do none of that, and go play League of Legends. Cause I'm tired of this for today. Toodles.

Probably for the best. At this point, and considering your judgment skills, I'm not sure that I'd trust you with the responsibility of holding a remote control, much less voting.

Now that I would not agree with.

Everyone should exercise their right to vote. God knows people have paid a high price for that right. I wouldn't tell even a Trump supporter not to vote.
Last edited by The Romulan Republic on Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:17 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Now that I would not agree with.

Everyone should exercise their right to vote. God knows people have paid a high price for that right. I wouldn't tell even a Trump supporter not to vote.

I won't block people from voting, but if someone has terrible judgment skills, I'm not necessarily going to encourage them to do so.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:48 pm

Oh great, more of the worst of the Sanders supporters. Ameriganastan clearly is someone who can't remotely be reasoned with.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:22 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

They're selected by the national committee drawing one name out of a hat they'd filled with slips of paper with that name written on them.
At least in the case of the DNC. The RNC apparently preferred the 'whatchagot stew' method this go-around and ended up with a big steaming bowl of feces in their hands instead of a hat.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:24 pm

Corrian wrote:Oh great, more of the worst of the Sanders supporters. Ameriganastan clearly is someone who can't remotely be reasoned with.

The stuff that memes are born of hath touched this thread tonight.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:30 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

They're selected by the national committee drawing one name out of a hat they'd filled with slips of paper with that name written on them.
At least in the case of the DNC. The RNC apparently preferred the 'whatchagot stew' method this go-around and ended up with a big steaming bowl of feces in their hands instead of a hat.

No.

Five people ran for the nomination. Two never got any traction at all, and dropped out early. A third couldn't find a message that worked, and eventually dropped out to endorse Hillary. Bernie put up a good fight, but regardless of bias on the part of the DNC, he lost it fair and square, as both he and his campaign spokesperson have said. This was not collusion, it was not collaboration, it was a democratic process that produced a result that I found to be somewhat disappointing, but still acceptable.
Last edited by Yumyumsuppertime on Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:39 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Occupied Deutschland wrote:They're selected by the national committee drawing one name out of a hat they'd filled with slips of paper with that name written on them.

No.

Five people ran for the nomination. Two never got any traction at all, and dropped out early. A second couldn't find a message that worked, and eventually dropped out to endorse Hillary. Bernie put up a good fight, but regardless of bias on the part of the DNC, he lost it fair and square, as both he and his campaign spokesperson have said. This was not collusion, it was not collaboration, it was a democratic process that produced a result that I found to be somewhat disappointing, but still acceptable.

Collusion and collaboration can exist within an otherwise nominally democratic process.
Would Clinton have won even without superdelegates and friends in high places pulling for her? Probably so. Does this negate the institutional fuckedness that is the superdelegate system and the DNC being biased in her favor? Nope. Because thanks to aforementioned superdelegate system and DNC bias, we won't actually know for sure because what was going on wasn't a 'democratic process', it was a predetermined outcome that experienced some bumpiness because the predetermined candidate proved less popular than expected in comparison to an aging hippie nutbar and that bumpiness was quickly worked against by the DNC in the hopes of limiting any long-term damage to the party from the predetermined nature being demonstrated by aforementioned aging hippie nutbar.

Or, in other words, Exhibit #1,389 of why the American electorate is apathetic and cynical of the political process.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:43 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
No.

Five people ran for the nomination. Two never got any traction at all, and dropped out early. A second couldn't find a message that worked, and eventually dropped out to endorse Hillary. Bernie put up a good fight, but regardless of bias on the part of the DNC, he lost it fair and square, as both he and his campaign spokesperson have said. This was not collusion, it was not collaboration, it was a democratic process that produced a result that I found to be somewhat disappointing, but still acceptable.

Collusion and collaboration can exist within an otherwise nominally democratic process.
Would Clinton have won even without superdelegates and friends in high places pulling for her? Probably so. Does this negate the institutional fuckedness that is the superdelegate system and the DNC being biased in her favor? Nope. Because thanks to aforementioned superdelegate system and DNC bias, we won't actually know for sure because what was going on wasn't a 'democratic process', it was a predetermined outcome that experienced some bumpiness because the predetermined candidate proved less popular than expected in comparison to an aging hippie nutbar and that bumpiness was quickly worked against by the DNC in the hopes of limiting any long-term damage to the party from the predetermined nature being demonstrated by aforementioned aging hippie nutbar.

Or, in other words, Exhibit #1,389 of why the American electorate is apathetic and cynical of the political process.

You have legitimate points. I've complained about the superdelegate system more than once, myself. I'm not going to complain about the endorsements that she managed to wrap up before the campaign even started, since that's just good strategy, and would be like bitching about someone exercising and stretching before a real race. Calling it a predetermined outcome is a bit of a stretch: If she did, it's because she knew exactly what she was doing every step of the way, and out-organized and out-campaigned the opposition. Looking ahead in this conversation, though, I have a nasty suspicion that we're going to get bogged down in semantics.

Geadland
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Geadland » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:48 am

[quote="Occupied Deutschland";p="29452065"][quote="Yumyumsuppertime";p="29452022"][quote="Occupied Deutschland";p="29451981"]
At least in the case of the DNC. The RNC apparently preferred the 'whatchagot stew' method this go-around and ended up with a big steaming bowl of feces in their hands instead of a hat.[/quote]

No.

Five people ran for the nomination. Two never got any traction at all, and dropped out early. A second couldn't find a message that worked, and eventually dropped out to endorse Hillary. Bernie put up a good fight, but regardless of bias on the part of the DNC, he lost it fair and square, as both he and his campaign spokesperson have said. This was not collusion, it was not collaboration, it was a democratic process that produced a result that I found to be somewhat disappointing, but still acceptable.[/quote]

Or, in other words, Exhibit #1,389 of why the American electorate is apathetic and cynical of the political process.[/quote]

I think the real cause of the apathy and cynicism is that too many people think that the answer to America's political problems is to send a 'knight on a white horse' into Washington. A person who is radically different from the 'establishment', is untainted by their alleged failings and refuses to cave in on their beliefs. Sounds appealing right? The problem is, they can't agree on what type of person this should be - left, right or centre?

So Congress gets more polarised, less work gets done, promises are undelivered and the electorate are left let down but with nobody obvious to blame. Outsiders trying to rock the establishment keep promising less viable things. Notice how Donald Trump thinks he can slash taxes, balance the budget and make promises that cost masses of money.

The real problem with American politics is too much populism, not too little.
Last edited by Geadland on Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Kingdom of Geadland (Κογνερηικ Γαυδλȣνδ)
Wiki - Factbook - Map - Language - Esquarium Region - Embassy Program

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General