NATION

PASSWORD

[US Election 2016] Democratic Primary Megathread III

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Guy
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Guy » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:41 pm

It's possible to have more than one option on the ballot, as long as you do it right. For example, I guess IRV would work? Options could be current status, free association, statehood. (Countries in free association are considered to be independent for all purposes, I believe -- there was almost no support in the most recent referendum for independence without free association.)
Last edited by Guy on Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commander of the Rejected Realms Army

[violet] wrote:Never underestimate the ability of admin to do nothing.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:05 pm

Geilinor wrote:
New Giliberafta wrote:Agreed. It should be like the EU referendum. Remain its current status as a US territory and.eventually gain statehood, or leave the US all together.

I don't think that should be the question. The question on a statehood referendum should simply be, "Should Puerto Rico become a state?" Independence should be a separate vote.

I'm pretty sure they already had that vote in 2012 and voted for Statehood. It's Congress that hasn't acted on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Ri ... ndum,_2012

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:14 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Geilinor wrote:I don't think that should be the question. The question on a statehood referendum should simply be, "Should Puerto Rico become a state?" Independence should be a separate vote.

I'm pretty sure they already had that vote in 2012 and voted for Statehood. It's Congress that hasn't acted on it.

It would upset the balance of power and give Puerto Rico legal avenues against vulture capitalists.

It is therefore.... bad, I guess.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:16 pm

Galloism wrote:
Maurepas wrote:I'm pretty sure they already had that vote in 2012 and voted for Statehood. It's Congress that hasn't acted on it.

It would upset the balance of power and give Puerto Rico legal avenues against vulture capitalists.

It is therefore.... bad, I guess.

Yeah, unfortunately I expect that's the case, *sigh*

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Myrensis » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:06 am

Maurepas wrote:
Geilinor wrote:I don't think that should be the question. The question on a statehood referendum should simply be, "Should Puerto Rico become a state?" Independence should be a separate vote.

No. A majority of people did vote for a change to the current status quo. Another majority said that Statehood would be their preferred option if a change were to happen. But because it was a terribly designed referendum where everyone got to vote on every part regardless of whether they thought a change should happen or not, and a full third (enough to change the result) were left blank which several groups had encouraged to protest lack of alternatives...it doesn't really tell us anything helpful, which people on all sides of the argument pointed out before it was even voted on. :p

What is needed, which I believe the President and groups in Puerto Rico have called for, is a straight up "DO YOU WANT TO BECOME A STATE? YES/NO" full stop. No multi-step multi-option nonsense.
Last edited by Myrensis on Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:09 am

Myrensis wrote:
Maurepas wrote:I'm pretty sure they already had that vote in 2012 and voted for Statehood. It's Congress that hasn't acted on it.

No. A majority of people did vote for a change to the current status quo. Another majority said that Statehood would be their preferred option if a change were to happen. But because it was a terribly designed referendum where everyone got to vote on every part regardless of whether they thought a change should happen or not, and a full third were left blank which several groups had encouraged to protest lack of alternatives...it doesn't really tell us anything helpful, which people on all sides of the argument pointed out before it was even voted on. :p

What is needed, which I believe the President and groups in Puerto Rico have called for, is a straight up "DO YOU WANT TO BECOME A STATE? YES/NO" full stop. No multi-step multi-option nonsense.

I can be on board with that, I'm just pointing out that the popular will is there on the part of Puerto Rico, we just need to facilitate it. But I'd imagine that's only happening if the Dems can get control of Congress. I doubt the GOP is interested in 2 more likely Dem Senate Seats and House Reps.

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010

Postby Myrensis » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:18 am

Maurepas wrote:
Myrensis wrote:
No. A majority of people did vote for a change to the current status quo. Another majority said that Statehood would be their preferred option if a change were to happen. But because it was a terribly designed referendum where everyone got to vote on every part regardless of whether they thought a change should happen or not, and a full third were left blank which several groups had encouraged to protest lack of alternatives...it doesn't really tell us anything helpful, which people on all sides of the argument pointed out before it was even voted on. :p

I can be on board with that, I'm just pointing out that the popular will is there on the part of Puerto Rico, we just need to facilitate it. But I'd imagine that's only happening if the Dems can get control of Congress. I doubt the GOP is interested in 2 more likely Dem Senate Seats and House Reps.

If Puerto Rico passed a clear and unequivocal referendum on Statehood..I don't really know how the GOP could stop it. I mean I know they could, but Puerto Rico has a higher population and GDP than nearly half of the current states, I don't see what possible paltry excuse they could try to throw up to cover the fact that it boils down to "We don't need anymore Democrat-loving wetbacks!"
Last edited by Myrensis on Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:25 am

Myrensis wrote:If Puerto Rico passed a clear and unequivocal referendum on Statehood..I don't really know how the GOP could stop it. I mean I know they could, but Puerto Rico has a higher population and GDP than nearly half of the current states, I don't see what possible paltry excuse they could try to throw up to cover the fact that it boils down to "We don't need anymore Democrat-loving wetbacks!"

'Murca speaks Anglish, not Mexican.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:51 am

Maurepas wrote:I think Puerto Rican Statehood should be on the Democratic Party Platform. A lot of PR's problems stem from the fact that Congress doesn't have the same responsibilities to them that they do the rest of the States.

Agreed.

And while we're at it, we need to look at the status of the other territories and DC (on that note, Sanders is a backer of DC statehood).
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Guy
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Guy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:08 am

Myrensis wrote:
Maurepas wrote:I think Puerto Rican Statehood should be on the Democratic Party Platform. A lot of PR's problems stem from the fact that Congress doesn't have the same responsibilities to them that they do the rest of the States.

So, put in a plank about campaigning for a straight up or down referendum on the matter in Puerto Rico? That is essentially the only thing in the way of Statehood, getting the Puerto Ricans themselves to directly and unequivocally vote for it.

I'm fine with an up/down vote on statehood. I think it'd be more democratic to include the third viable option (independence with a Compact of Free Association).

I don't think that the Democratic Party should advocate a particular stance for PR. It's best if they decide for themselves. Advocacy groups are more than capable of making the case for statehood.
Last edited by Guy on Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Commander of the Rejected Realms Army

[violet] wrote:Never underestimate the ability of admin to do nothing.

UED
Senator

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby UED » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:00 am

The Romulan Republic wrote:

Agreed.

And while we're at it, we need to look at the status of the other territories and DC (on that note, Sanders is a backer of DC statehood).

I believe the GOP might try to prevent Puerto Rico + DC statehood. DC is way too Democratic (I think like they voted 80%-ish Democrat last year?) which means the Republicans will automatically lose 2 senate seats. Puerto Rico is a wild card in my opinion. It voted Democrat 2012 by a slight margin. It would probably be like 1 sen Republican 1 sen seat Democrat usually, sometimes switching during landslide elections. Still balance of power will favor the Democrats.
Political and religious views don't define whether you are a good or bad person, unless you want to actively hurt everyone who doesn't believe what you say.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:05 am

UED wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:
Agreed.

I believe the GOP might try to prevent Puerto Rico + DC statehood. DC is way too Democratic (I think like they voted 80%-ish Democrat last year?) which means the Republicans will automatically lose 2 senate seats. Puerto Rico is a wild card in my opinion. It voted Democrat 2012 by a slight margin. It would probably be like 1 sen Republican 1 sen seat Democrat usually, sometimes switching during landslide elections. Still balance of power will favor the Democrats.

Yeah, but just because the Republicans would oppose something doesn't necessarily mean it shouldn't be on the platform. After all, they're different parties for a reason.

UED
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UED » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:06 am

Maurepas wrote:
UED wrote:

Yeah, but just because the Republicans would oppose something doesn't necessarily mean it shouldn't be on the platform. After all, they're different parties for a reason.

True.
Lol weren't the original issues slavery + tariffs/free trade?
Political and religious views don't define whether you are a good or bad person, unless you want to actively hurt everyone who doesn't believe what you say.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:14 am

UED wrote:
Maurepas wrote:Yeah, but just because the Republicans would oppose something doesn't necessarily mean it shouldn't be on the platform. After all, they're different parties for a reason.

True.
Lol weren't the original issues slavery + tariffs/free trade?

Most of the States in the continental United States were fought over along those lines during their transition from territories. The balance of power in the Senate, since no matter the population of the state you get 2, was what kept the South's obstruction against the Free States in place. A big part of the reason for the Civil War was that the South saw the writing on the wall that that balance of power was going away.

Were I to be making decisions in Congress and the GOP were to oppose it on the grounds that it would upset the balance of power, I would cudgel them repeatedly with that comparison, heh heh.

Dahon
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Dahon » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:17 am

I've heard that Puerto Ricans do have some advantages over the states with their weird political set-up they've got going for the past few decades now. Are there?
Authoritarianism kills all. Never forget that.

-5.5/-7.44

al-Ibramiyah (inactive; under research)
Moscareinas (inactive)
Trumpisslavia (inactive)
Dahon the Alternative (inactive; under research)
Our Heavenly Dwarf (Forum 7)

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:18 am

Dahon wrote:

I've heard that Puerto Ricans do have some advantages over the states with their weird political set-up they've got going for the past few decades now. Are there?

Kind of. They don't pay federal income tax, but their federal payouts are also limited.

It's all very complicated.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:33 am

Interesting how even though the Republicans fuck over Puerto Rico, Democrats still narrowly win. Guess people just love being screwed over.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

UED
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UED » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:35 am

Corrian wrote:Interesting how even though the Republicans fuck over Puerto Rico, Democrats still narrowly win. Guess people just love being screwed over.

Who doesn't love it? We've voted in the Bushes three times now for President. Jeb Bush 2020

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:53 am

Also, in a hypothetical likely 2024 election...What if both Tulsi Gabbard and Elizabeth Warren were to run against each other in the Democratic primary? Who would you vote for? (I dunno why, this thought popped into my head)

Honestly...I have no idea who I would choose.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:58 am

Corrian wrote:Also, in a hypothetical likely 2024 election...What if both Tulsi Gabbard and Elizabeth Warren were to run against each other in the Democratic primary? Who would you vote for? (I dunno why, this thought popped into my head)

Consideration: Warren would be 75 years old.

Dahon
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Dahon » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:59 am

Corrian wrote:Also, in a hypothetical likely 2024 election...What if both Tulsi Gabbard and Elizabeth Warren were to run against each other in the Democratic primary? Who would you vote for? (I dunno why, this thought popped into my head)

I'm no American, but Tamayo over Warren any day of election year. (Of course, if a Tamayo-Warren ticket could be forged...)
Authoritarianism kills all. Never forget that.

-5.5/-7.44

al-Ibramiyah (inactive; under research)
Moscareinas (inactive)
Trumpisslavia (inactive)
Dahon the Alternative (inactive; under research)
Our Heavenly Dwarf (Forum 7)

UED
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UED » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:00 am

Galloism wrote:

Consideration: Warren would be 75 years old.

We'll have the Democratic version of Reagan then

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:00 am

I honestly don't know. It's way too early for me to start picking that, lol. But I will say I'm less comfortable with Warren as President than I am with her as Vice President. I expect she'd be a lot less friendly to trade than the Clintons would be.

But if I'm being honest, the biggest reason Trade is such a big deal to me is my father's career being dependent on it. In 8 years, provided the Republicans don't get their way, he's likely to be retired and hopefully I'll have had a steady job as a Teacher for a while and it might not be as big of a deal to me. I still think it's beneficial to the country as a whole, so I'm not ready to say I'd abandon it, but I can't deny it's a factor.
Last edited by Maurepas on Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

UED
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UED » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:03 am

Maurepas wrote:

I honestly don't know. It's way too early for me to start picking that, lol. But I will say I'm less comfortable with Warren as President than I am with her as Vice President. I expect she'd be a lot less friendly to trade than the Clintons would be.

But if I'm being honest, the biggest reason Trade is such a big deal to me is my father's career being dependent on it. In 8 years, provided the Republicans don't get their way, he's likely to be retired and hopefully I'll have had a steady job as a Teacher for a while and it might not be as big of a deal to me. I still think it's beneficial to the country as a whole, so I'm not ready to say I'd abandon it, but I can't deny it's a factor.

I knew it! You must be a neo-liberal shill who thinks Hillary and the rest of the Moderate Republicans within the Democratic Party are entitled to the presidency??!?!?!?!?

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:05 am

Probably Gabbard, but I might change my mind once they actually started campaigning. Or I might just not vote in the primaries if it was down to the two of them with no other competition. Since I don't have a strong preference, maybe it would be best to just sit back and let the people who have a stronger preference decide who they want.

I think either one would be a pretty solid choice.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General