NATION

PASSWORD

[US Election 2016] Democratic Primary Megathread III

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:03 am

Maurepas wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Certainly- the purpose of the Judiciary is to provide a counterbalance to the shifting politics of any given point in time, to provide reason even when the popular vote might recommend irrationality. Legislature should live in fear of the Supreme Court, and precedent should only be established if some matter of law cannot in any conceivable way be addressed by existing thought on the topic. Otherwise we're no better than Venezuela, and we all know how their judiciary has turned out.

Joking about trolling the GOP aside, the idea of Trump appointed judges dominating the court for the next 30 years should scare you far more than anyone Hillary would choose.

Nah, I'm a conservative, you see. And I sincerely doubt Trump will be picking anybody of his own volition, being an ignorant buffoon. So we'll have some conservative justices who will shoot down a lot of radical legislation and judicial activism. I'd prefer to have actual centrist justices, but I'll happily take inactivity over febrile activity, given the choice.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:10 am

I kind of agree that they should probably be centrist more than actively one way or the other, especially after what my brother said yesterday. My brother was also saying he doesn't really feel like a president should be able to choose 2 to 3 judges at once, which I can kind of get as well.

Of course, my general stance is these damn judges should probably have term limits anyway. But eh, whatever.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Guy
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Guy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:11 am

Maurepas wrote:Joking about trolling the GOP aside, the idea of Trump appointed judges dominating the court for the next 30 years should scare you far more than anyone Hillary would choose.

Nah, I'm a conservative, you see. And I sincerely doubt Trump will be picking anybody of his own volition, being an ignorant buffoon. So we'll have some conservative justices who will shoot down a lot of radical legislation and judicial activism. I'd prefer to have actual centrist justices, but I'll happily take inactivity over febrile activity, given the choice.

By far the most "activist" Justice on SCOTUS is Thomas, so you might like a dose of reality with that.

The Roberts Court, when it had its conservative majority, did anything but exercise judicial restraint. Nothing would get between it and its interpretation of the law.

Again, I can't fault it. Stare is never to be blindly afforded. Otherwise, we'd still have a Court that strikes down minimum wage laws, and upholds 'separate but equal'.
Last edited by Guy on Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Commander of the Rejected Realms Army

[violet] wrote:Never underestimate the ability of admin to do nothing.

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:11 am

Maurepas wrote:Joking about trolling the GOP aside, the idea of Trump appointed judges dominating the court for the next 30 years should scare you far more than anyone Hillary would choose.

So you think the Judiciary Committee would tell him who they find acceptable, and manage to make it clear to him that their will be done? Not ideal from my leftward stance, but certainly better than Trump having it his way.
Economic:-8.12 Social:-7.59 Moral Rules:5 Moral Order:-5
Muravyets: Maineiacs, you are brilliant, too! I stand in delighted awe.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
Galloism: If someone will build a wall around Donald Trump, I'll pay for it.
Bottle tells it like it is
add 6,928 to post count

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:12 am

Then what are you doing in the Democratic Primary thread? :p (i kid)

I doubt you're getting anyone centrist out of either party at this point. Even if Trump is too idiotic to pick his own justices the ones he is advised to pick will be hardline conservatives. Hell, really, with the nature of SCOTUS moderation is a tough sell in general, at least to their opposing side anyway. The GOP isn't necessarily wrong when they point out Garland is not a Conservative.

I expect they'll be engaging in judicial activism of their own, expect Obergefell to be challenged, the healthcare ruling to be challenged, etc., it's really about picking the side that best suits the things you care about. I don't blame conservatives who stomach Trump in that regard, but I would implore any liberal or progressive to do the same for Hillary.
Last edited by Maurepas on Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:14 am

Also, I love how apparently according to the Texas governor, "Gridlock" is something to be celebrated with the supreme court justices right now. Apparently the Republican politicians not knowing how to do their damn job is something to be actively celebrated now.
My Last.FM and RYM

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:25 am

My Last.FM and RYM

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:30 am

ROFL

Classic. At least he can laugh at himself.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

New Jerzylvania
Minister

Founded: Feb 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Jerzylvania » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:00 am

Wow. I love the two of them even more, and didn't think that was possible. :)
DEFCON 1

Clinton/Kaine 2016

It is the solemn and patriotic duty of all true Americans to prevent the election of Donald J. Trump as the next President of the United States by use of the ballot box.
Even if it means you might have to be called for jury duty!

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:15 am

He looks like he is having so much fun in it too.
My Last.FM and RYM

The United Territories of Providence
Minister

Founded: May 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The United Territories of Providence » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:42 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:Henry Paulson, George W. Bush's Treasury Secretary, just endorsed Hillary Clinton.

A mixed blessing at best, but still, a sign of just how many people are openly jumping ship.

Henry Paulson was the CEO of Goldman Sachs during Hillary's term as Senator from New York, so I'm not too surprised.
_[' ]_
(-_Q)

FORMER REPUBLICAN
SOCIAL DEMOCRAT
Economic: -2.5
Social: -5.28

LGBTQ Rights
Palestine
Medicare for All
Gender Equality
Green Energy
Legal Immigration
Abortion rights
Democracy
Assault Weapons Ban
Censorship
MRA
Fundamentalism
Fascism
Political Correctness
Fascism
Monarchy
Illegal Immigration
Capitalism
Free Trade

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:49 am

The United Territories of Providence wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:Henry Paulson, George W. Bush's Treasury Secretary, just endorsed Hillary Clinton.

A mixed blessing at best, but still, a sign of just how many people are openly jumping ship.

Henry Paulson was the CEO of Goldman Sachs during Hillary's term as Senator from New York, so I'm not too surprised.

Ew, that makes things worse.
My Last.FM and RYM

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:52 am

Corrian wrote:
The United Territories of Providence wrote:

Ew, that makes things worse.

His reason is that she's far better than Trump. He'd be going Republican with any other nominee.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:03 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Corrian wrote:Ew, that makes things worse.

His reason is that she's far better than Trump. He'd be going Republican with any other nominee.

His reason is that she is better than Trump for Wall Street elites. Which she is of course. He and his friends (along with the Saudis) own her. This hardly reflects well on her. Not that it reflects well on Trump either.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Guy
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2011

Postby Guy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:05 pm

Novus America wrote:
Geilinor wrote:His reason is that she's far better than Trump. He'd be going Republican with any other nominee.

His reason is that she is better than Trump for Wall Street elites. Which she is of course. He and his friends (along with the Saudis) own her. This hardly reflects well on her. Not that it reflects well on Trump either.

But the real question is, have we landed on the moon?
Commander of the Rejected Realms Army

[violet] wrote:Never underestimate the ability of admin to do nothing.

Ngelmish
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2009

Postby Ngelmish » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:06 pm

Novus America wrote:
Geilinor wrote:His reason is that she's far better than Trump. He'd be going Republican with any other nominee.

She's better for literally everybody than Trump is with the possible exception of Trump's family and longtime friends.

Nor does this constitute proof that she's "owned."

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:06 pm

Novus America wrote:

I might disagree with his reasons, but that doesn't make him wrong. The same things that are bad for Wall Stree elites with regard to Trump's tariffs and his trade wars, would be equally bad for everyone else.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:07 pm

Novus America wrote:

What's good for Wall Street isn't always bad for Main Street Americans.

What's bad for Wall Street isn't always good for Main Street Americans.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:12 pm

Guy wrote:
Novus America wrote:

But the real question is, have we landed on the moon?

Look where her money comes from.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:13 pm

Kelinfort wrote:
Novus America wrote:

What's good for Wall Street isn't always bad for Main Street Americans.

True. It would be nice to have a president who was actually loyal to Main Street Americans though. I know that will never happen though.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:17 pm

Novus America wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:What's good for Wall Street isn't always bad for Main Street Americans.

True. It would be nice to have a president who was actually loyal to Main Street Americans though. I know that will never happen though.

Presidents are loyal to their constituency, which is without fail, the middle class. Why? Well, they're usually the most prone to swing elections and on top of that, it's the middle class who starts revolutions. The upper class is content with the status quo, the lower classes are either too poor or too uninvolved in the process to openly revolt, without leadership. But it's the middle class which determines whether they side with the discontent of the working class or the material complacency of the upper class.
Last edited by Kelinfort on Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:17 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Novus America wrote:

I might disagree with his reasons, but that doesn't make him wrong. The same things that are bad for Wall Stree elites with regard to Trump's tariffs and his trade wars, would be equally bad for everyone else.

Agressively destroying American jobs has benefited Wall Street. Not everyone else. But yeah, Trump has no clue either. NAFTA is good. China is not so much. He does not get the difference. Nor the need for moderate carefully targeted tarrifs, instead of blindingly throwing them out.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Sane Outcasts
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 19, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Sane Outcasts » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:17 pm

Novus America wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:What's good for Wall Street isn't always bad for Main Street Americans.

Are Main Street Americans actually a thing or just one of those imaginary demographics like True Scots?

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:18 pm

Sane Outcasts wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Are Main Street Americans actually a thing or just one of those imaginary demographics like True Scots?

Main Street Americans are the middle class, so to speak. They can be subdivided into two groups, the lower and upper parts.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:22 pm

Kelinfort wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Presidents are loyal to their constituency, which is without fail, the middle class. Why? Well, they're usually the most prone to swing elections and on top of that, it's the middle class who starts revolutions. The upper class is content with the status quo, the lower classes are either too poor or too uninvolved in the process to openly revolt, without leadership. But it's the middle class which determines whether they side with the discontent of the working class or the material complacency of the upper class.

Well yes, we ultimately chose the people in charge. Even though they screw us over. I am not sad Trump and Sanders lost, they are the wrong people at the wrong time. But they do show the people are growing restless. The rich are getting scared.
Last edited by Novus America on Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General