NATION

PASSWORD

[US Election 2016] Democratic Primary Megathread III

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:16 pm

Corrian wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:That makes zero political sense for you

*Shrug*, so did my dad, who voted for Obama the first time. I think we were fed up with the same, and Obama was a disappointment to us, so we voted for a third party candidate. And my dad can't stand Libertarians normally. He pretty much said something along the lines of that his views aren't really his ultimate goal for how he wants things to go, but we need a change, and he'd be a start. Similar to how I felt, really.

If you go off of that site, which I can't say how reliable it is (It has been proven not to entirely be great), Isidewith says I agree with him on 70% of issues.

Usually it's that 30% that matters a lot

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:25 pm

Mahdistan wrote:https://johnlaurits.com/2016/04/28/this-is-what-will-happen-at-the-democratic-convention/

This is a big deal. If you're thinking of not voting for Sanders because Clinton seems inevitable, take a look at this. Not sure how this math can be beaten.

I didn't read it right through. Right from the start I see the idea: what would it take for Clinton to secure the majority of ALL delegates (including superdelegates) with only pledged delegates.

That's kinda dumb. As if the superdelegates are all going to switch to Sanders :lol:
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:27 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
Mahdistan wrote:https://johnlaurits.com/2016/04/28/this-is-what-will-happen-at-the-democratic-convention/

This is a big deal. If you're thinking of not voting for Sanders because Clinton seems inevitable, take a look at this. Not sure how this math can be beaten.

I didn't read it right through. Right from the start I see the idea: what would it take for Clinton to secure the majority of ALL delegates (including superdelegates) with only pledged delegates.

That's kinda dumb. As if the superdelegates are all going to switch to Sanders :lol:

And as some pundit pointed out recently, Sanders has been bashing the superdelegate process from the beginning, for him to turn around and say, "Please forget those mean things I said, vote for me!" sounds just a trifle hypocritical.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

The balkens
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:28 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:

And as some pundit pointed out recently, Sanders has been bashing the superdelegate process from the beginning, for him to turn around and say, "Please forget those mean things I said, vote for me!" sounds just a trifle hypocritical.

Or rather hes a bit desperate. could be both.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:28 pm

Ailiailia wrote:I didn't read it right through. Right from the start I see the idea: what would it take for Clinton to secure the majority of ALL delegates (including superdelegates) with only pledged delegates.

Sanders supporters are just desperate at this point. Can't really blame them to be honest, though, just based off of the whole concept behind Sanders campaign: Trying to fundamentally change everything wrong with the current system.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:45 pm

Corrian wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:I didn't read it right through. Right from the start I see the idea: what would it take for Clinton to secure the majority of ALL delegates (including superdelegates) with only pledged delegates.

Sanders supporters are just desperate at this point. Can't really blame them to be honest, though, just based off of the whole concept behind Sanders campaign: Trying to fundamentally change everything wrong with the current system.

Well I consider caucuses part of what is wrong, but I don't expect Sanders or his supporters will have much to say about getting rid of them.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:49 pm

Ailiailia wrote:Well I consider caucuses part of what is wrong, but I don't expect Sanders or his supporters will have much to say about getting rid of them.

Most I've seen do. But some don't.

In fact, I've seen some go "He does well in caucuses because it isn't as easy to cheat" :roll:
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:04 pm

Corrian wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:Well I consider caucuses part of what is wrong, but I don't expect Sanders or his supporters will have much to say about getting rid of them.

Most I've seen do. But some don't.

In fact, I've seen some go "He does well in caucuses because it isn't as easy to cheat" :roll:

So they want open primaries? Semi-open? Federalize voter registration? Preferential voting in primaries?

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:13 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:
Merizoc wrote:Thing is, Obama should have talked about race more. He had the opportunity to bring a direct conversation about race to the table and didn't.

No, he didn't. I hate that narrative: "Our first black President was the ideal person to have the long-needed 'race conversation' with America."

Wrong. DEAD wrong. As a rule of thumb, white people aren't going to listen to a black person telling them they don't treat black people fairly. There's too much "us-and-them" baked into that conversation to begin with, and (speaking about white people as a white person), having one of "them" tell "us" that we suck just begs for the very people who most badly need to listen to that conversation to tune out.

No, the next WHITE President is the right person to have the long-needed "race conversation" with America. Done that way, it's "We white people really NEED to do better if we want to see an end to racial animus," rather than "You honkies are still oppressing us, sucker!"

Merizoc wrote:I don't fault Clinton for trying to do that with gender, though I don't think she's done the best job of it.

No women is, for the same reason that it needs to be a WHITE President who takes steps to lead the country out of the mire of continuing race discrimination. The equally long-required "sex conversation" is going to have to be conducted by the first MALE President to follow our Nation's first FEMALE President, so that it can be "You know, we guys have to stop being such assholes" as opposed to "All men are sexist jerks!"

No please, get more patronizing.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:14 pm

Eol Sha wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:because she isn't under criminal investigation.

Then what is the FBI doing?

they are making sure her server is OK. having a private email server isn't a criminal offense.
whatever

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:16 pm

Ngelmish wrote:Well I voted today.

In a decision that I am certain will shock all the long-term participants of this thread, I had pretty much made up my mind to write in O'Malley, and be done with it, and had even rehearsed some statements for Sanders supporters disappointed that I, as a progressive voter, declined to back their candidate. Unfortunately, due to a quirk of this state's electoral laws, O'Malley did not qualify as a write-in candidate. So I threw up my hands and then voted for Hillary, falling back on my longstanding position: I'm willing to vote for Bernie Sanders, but not in a primary.

weird.

does that mean that if you had written in his name it wouldn't even have been tallied anymore than if you had written in mickey mouse?
whatever

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:24 pm

My mom and I just voted for Bernie Sanders through mail. We're both first-time voters. I guess we both turned white today. :p

Also, voted for some provisions and other races. Voted against incumbent senator, who voted to try to make English the official language of the US, abolish the estate tax, encourage study of flat taxes, and voted to lower capital-gains taxes, in favor of a relative nobody who is more progressive.

Voted against incumbent representative who is a Blue Dog.

Voted for the incumbent governor, though.

My sister is also going to vote for Sanders, and my dad would also vote for him, but he's in Korea, and doesn't want to register as a Democrat (he calls Republicans "the billionaire party," and the Democrats "the millionaire party"). We currently live in Oregon, which has a closed primary. He voted for John Kerry in 2004, but he said that was only because he wanted to express how much he didn't like George W. Bush.
Last edited by Arumdaum on Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:25 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Alien Space Bats wrote:No, he didn't. I hate that narrative: "Our first black President was the ideal person to have the long-needed 'race conversation' with America."

Wrong. DEAD wrong. As a rule of thumb, white people aren't going to listen to a black person telling them they don't treat black people fairly. There's too much "us-and-them" baked into that conversation to begin with, and (speaking about white people as a white person), having one of "them" tell "us" that we suck just begs for the very people who most badly need to listen to that conversation to tune out.

No, the next WHITE President is the right person to have the long-needed "race conversation" with America. Done that way, it's "We white people really NEED to do better if we want to see an end to racial animus," rather than "You honkies are still oppressing us, sucker!"

No women is, for the same reason that it needs to be a WHITE President who takes steps to lead the country out of the mire of continuing race discrimination. The equally long-required "sex conversation" is going to have to be conducted by the first MALE President to follow our Nation's first FEMALE President, so that it can be "You know, we guys have to stop being such assholes" as opposed to "All men are sexist jerks!"

No please, get more patronizing.

only white people can solve racism

and only men can solve sexism
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:18 pm

Arumdaum wrote:
Merizoc wrote:No please, get more patronizing.

only white people can solve racism

Apparently.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:22 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:only white people can solve racism

Apparently.

That's because white people generally wouldn't listen to a black president if he talked to them about race. There are people who think that Obama is racist or that he's behind Black Lives Matter or that he's not American.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:24 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Merizoc wrote:Apparently.

That's because white people generally wouldn't listen to a black president if he talked to them about race. There are people who think that Obama is racist or that he's behind Black Lives Matter or that he's not American.

They're brain dead fuckwits who are already racist and aren't going to listen to a white race traitor try to tell them how to treat uppity negroes.

Jordkloden
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 18, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jordkloden » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:41 pm

Both of my parents voted for Bernie in PA, at my behest.
I’m a communist. Not much else to say.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:46 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:only white people can solve racism

Apparently.

I'd argue that a black president like Barack shouldn't be expected to cure racial ills through a conversation with people who already despise him.

The whites who admire him will listen, but the others will undoubtedly double down.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:49 pm

Kelinfort wrote:
Merizoc wrote:Apparently.

I'd argue that a black president like Barack shouldn't be expected to cure racial ills through a conversation with people who already despise him.

The whites who admire him will listen, but the others will undoubtedly double down.

I don't think anybody should be "expected" to solve a problem. I think they should be expected to try.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:52 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:I'd argue that a black president like Barack shouldn't be expected to cure racial ills through a conversation with people who already despise him.

I don't think anybody should be "expected" to solve a problem. I think they should be expected to try.

He has tried. The problem is mainly because of whites. We live in a world where racial discussion scares a lot of us. Maybe not a majority, but a substantial amount of people. And a lot will shut out any discussion at all. Whenever Obama lends an olive branch to people, they tend to shy away, sadly.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:56 pm

Kelinfort wrote:
Merizoc wrote:I don't think anybody should be "expected" to solve a problem. I think they should be expected to try.

He has tried. The problem is mainly because of whites. We live in a world where racial discussion scares a lot of us. Maybe not a majority, but a substantial amount of people. And a lot will shut out any discussion at all. Whenever Obama lends an olive branch to people, they tend to shy away, sadly.

Well, as someone who isn't shying away from that, I'd welcome a discussion, and he's not bringing it.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:57 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:He has tried. The problem is mainly because of whites. We live in a world where racial discussion scares a lot of us. Maybe not a majority, but a substantial amount of people. And a lot will shut out any discussion at all. Whenever Obama lends an olive branch to people, they tend to shy away, sadly.

Well, as someone who isn't shying away from that, I'd welcome a discussion, and he's not bringing it.

He's tried. Especially after Trayvon Martin and Ferguson. The problem is, we weren't willing to try.

Ngelmish
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2009

Postby Ngelmish » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:08 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Ngelmish wrote:Well I voted today.

In a decision that I am certain will shock all the long-term participants of this thread, I had pretty much made up my mind to write in O'Malley, and be done with it, and had even rehearsed some statements for Sanders supporters disappointed that I, as a progressive voter, declined to back their candidate. Unfortunately, due to a quirk of this state's electoral laws, O'Malley did not qualify as a write-in candidate. So I threw up my hands and then voted for Hillary, falling back on my longstanding position: I'm willing to vote for Bernie Sanders, but not in a primary.

weird.

does that mean that if you had written in his name it wouldn't even have been tallied anymore than if you had written in mickey mouse?

It would have effectively spoiled the ballot, and there were important local primaries and for my house seat. It was frustrating, but to be fair, I badly lost the argument in this primary ages ago. It's not as if I have to belabor the point any further.

Guy
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2011

Postby Guy » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:56 pm

Arumdaum wrote:My mom and I just voted for Bernie Sanders through mail. We're both first-time voters. I guess we both turned white today. :p

Also, voted for some provisions and other races. Voted against incumbent senator, who voted to try to make English the official language of the US, abolish the estate tax, encourage study of flat taxes, and voted to lower capital-gains taxes, in favor of a relative nobody who is more progressive.

Voted against incumbent representative who is a Blue Dog.

Voted for the incumbent governor, though.

My sister is also going to vote for Sanders, and my dad would also vote for him, but he's in Korea, and doesn't want to register as a Democrat (he calls Republicans "the billionaire party," and the Democrats the "the millionaire party). We currently live in Oregon, which has a closed primary. He voted for John Kerry in 2004, but he said that was only because he wanted to express how much he didn't like George W. Bush.

Wyden is a really mixed bag. He's the most liberal Senator if you look at some of his policy positions, and one of the most centrist ones if you look at others. (Especially liberal on social and military issues iirc, more moderate on economic issues, if I remember correctly.) I can't see him ever losing re-election, though.
Commander of the Rejected Realms Army

[violet] wrote:Never underestimate the ability of admin to do nothing.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:25 pm

Corrian wrote:
The balkens wrote:
dont be ashamed of it.

And I'm a Sanders supporter, so it is kinda depressing :P

I know that feeling. Some of his "supporters" on the internet are so stupid I can't tell if they're for real or trolling.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General