NATION

PASSWORD

Christian Discussion Thread VII: The Christ Awakens.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your denomination?

Roman Catholic
32%
Eastern Orthodox
7%
Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East , etc.)
1%
Anglican/Episcopalian
7%
Methodist
4%
Lutheran or Reformed (including Calvinist, Presbyterian, etc.)
11%
Baptist
11%
Other Evangelical Protestant (Pentecostal, non-denominational, etc.)
13%
Restorationist (LDS Movement, Jehovah's Witness, etc.)
3%
Other Christian
13%

Total votes : 664

New confederate ramenia
Minister

Founded: Oct 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New confederate ramenia » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:53 am

Maineiacs wrote:
New confederate ramenia wrote:How do I pray better?

Could you be more specific?

I'm worried my "connection" and focus aren't good enough.
probando

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:02 am

Greater Nazi Germanic Reich wrote:
Maineiacs wrote:

I've never heard of them before, but it did take reading very far into that article to get the general idea of them. They sound like a bunch of cranky malcontents; the ecclesiastical equivalent of sitting on one's porch, shaking a cane and yelling at those kids to "turn down that music and get off my lawn".

They are like the Catholic version of the Muslim Brotherhood.

The MB are a political party, so no, no they're not.
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Jamzmania
Senator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamzmania » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:27 am

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:
ThePeacekeepers wrote:Yahshua (or you would call him Jesus) says you should pray in this manner.

Matthew 6:5-8

5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

So pray in secret and don't use vain repetitions like the heathens, when you pray say what comes from the heart and pray only for what you have need. Thank the Lord and repent for your sins.

You know, Gene Ruyle once said, "A half truth is worse than a whole lie, because it makes it even harder to tell the difference between the two"

It's convenient how you quote Mathew 6:5-8 and use it to support an argument against ritualized prayer. Quite convenient since literally the next verses in that chapter are

"In this manner, therefore, pray:

Our Father in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
10 Your kingdom come.
Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts,
As we forgive our debtors.
13 And do not lead us into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil one."

Establishing a ritualized prayer, not off the top of the head, to be repeated again and again over ones life time, standing in direct opposition to your claim. I'm sure you didn't mean to hide that, and its omission was merely a lapse of memory?

That's only if you 1) take this to mean he is establishing a ritualized prayer instead of just giving an example of how one ought to pray, and 2) believe this to be a vain repetition.
The Alexanderians wrote:"Fear no man or woman,
No matter what their size.
Call upon me,
And I will equalize."

-Engraved on the side of my M1911 .45

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:29 am

ThePeacekeepers wrote:

Yahshua (or you would call him Jesus) says you should pray in this manner.

5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

So pray in secret and don't use vain repetitions like the heathens, when you pray say what comes from the heart and pray only for what you have need. Thank the Lord and repent for your sins.

Further to the fact that he literally follows this with the Our Father, Jesus is neither ordering us to pray only in secret, nor condemning ritualised prayer. In the first two verses, his point isn't about where people pray, but why they pray. As with charity in the previous four verses, Jesus is condemning the use of prayer to make a point of one's piety to other people. They seek earthly adulation, and that is their reward.

As for 'vain repetitions', he's condemning the prayers of the heathens (or ethnikoi - the nations), not the Jews - who, of course, had ritualised prayer. Which the Apostles continued to participate in (see, for example, Acts 3:1). I've always taken the passage as condemning the use of mantras and suchlike, where the words themselves are considered to have some intrinsic spiritual value.
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Jamzmania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jamzmania » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:34 am

Angleter wrote:
ThePeacekeepers wrote:Yahshua (or you would call him Jesus) says you should pray in this manner.

Further to the fact that he literally follows this with the Our Father, Jesus is neither ordering us to pray only in secret, nor condemning ritualised prayer. In the first two verses, his point isn't about where people pray, but why they pray. As with charity in the previous four verses, Jesus is condemning the use of prayer to make a point of one's piety to other people. They seek earthly adulation, and that is their reward.

As for 'vain repetitions', he's condemning the prayers of the heathens (or ethnikoi - the nations), not the Jews - who, of course, had ritualised prayer. Which the Apostles continued to participate in (see, for example, Acts 3:1). I've always taken the passage as condemning the use of mantras and suchlike, where the words themselves are considered to have some intrinsic spiritual value.

A good example of "vain repetitions," I think, would be many Muslim prayers. Muslims often repeat memorized prayers in a language most of them don't even understand. Prayers need to have meaning to you, not just be what you're "supposed to say."
Call upon me,
And I will equalize."

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:56 am

New confederate ramenia wrote:I'm worried my "connection" and focus aren't good enough.

Well, where do you usually pray?

If it's somewhere where there's a lot of distractions, that might be a problem.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:57 am

Herskerstad wrote:
Luminesa wrote:...Like I said. How about no? XD

You at least got to butter her up with some German Marching music.

>>

No really, it's her weakness.

Is not.

*Has German marching music playing in background.*

I mean...
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:52 am

Luminesa wrote:
Herskerstad wrote:
You at least got to butter her up with some German Marching music.

>>

No really, it's her weakness.

Is not.

I mean...

It's funny, my granddad, God rest his soul, was rather fond of marching music, and in particular, the marching music used in the Third Reich.

And no, he was not a nazi, in fact, he was part of the Norwegian resistance. He was very vocal that not only Lili Marleen should cross the musical borders during war, as all the great nations had masterpieces in their own right.

Of course, getting that music in when he was working as a UN peacekeeper in Israel of all places proved to be potentially the one and only time his harsh military ethos was overwritten by local sensibilities.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:58 am

Herskerstad wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Is not.

I mean...

It's funny, my granddad, God rest his soul, was rather fond of marching music, and in particular, the marching music used in the Third Reich.

And no, he was not a nazi, in fact, he was part of the Norwegian resistance. He was very vocal that not only Lili Marleen should cross the musical borders during war, as all the great nations had masterpieces in their own right.

Of course, getting that music in when he was working as a UN peacekeeper in Israel of all places proved to be potentially the one and only time his harsh military ethos was overwritten by local sensibilities.

...Yeaaaaaahhhh...I can see how that would happen.

But your grandpa sounds like he was an awesome person. ^-^
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Camaalbakrius
Minister

Founded: Sep 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Camaalbakrius » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:19 am

Luminesa wrote:
Herskerstad wrote:

...Yeaaaaaahhhh...I can see how that would happen.

But your grandpa sounds like he was an awesome person. ^-^

You know, I read somewhere that in one of the forests in Germany, there are a bunch of painted trees that, from above, make a very clear giant Swastika. Apparently it's been there for a while
Catholic Mentlegen

DEUS VULT INFIDELS
Favorite bands: Bon Jovi, Guns 'N Roses, basically anything by Eric Clapton, Queen, AC/DC, a few songs by KISS, but I don't care much for the face paint.

Not really a politics person, I don't care much about it.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:52 pm

Jamzmania wrote:

You know, Gene Ruyle once said, "A half truth is worse than a whole lie, because it makes it even harder to tell the difference between the two"

It's convenient how you quote Mathew 6:5-8 and use it to support an argument against ritualized prayer. Quite convenient since literally the next verses in that chapter are

"In this manner, therefore, pray:

Our Father in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
10 Your kingdom come.
Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts,
As we forgive our debtors.
13 And do not lead us into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil one."

Establishing a ritualized prayer, not off the top of the head, to be repeated again and again over ones life time, standing in direct opposition to your claim. I'm sure you didn't mean to hide that, and its omission was merely a lapse of memory?

That's only if you 1) take this to mean he is establishing a ritualized prayer instead of just giving an example of how one ought to pray, and 2) believe this to be a vain repetition.

It's not a vain repetition, but peacemakers is presenting it as such.

Also in conjunction with verse 8, it is clear Jesus is teaching against spit balling, in favor of a ritualized prayer.

Most Eternal Angvaria
Attaché

Founded: Mar 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Most Eternal Angvaria » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:54 am

Greater Nazi Germanic Reich wrote:
Most Eternal Angvaria wrote:
I support the SSPX so much...

Is that true?

I was an avid fan of the SSPX 46 years ago...
✠ THE WITCH QUEEN AND SUPREME AUTOCRAT OF ALL THE ANGMARS ✠

S'Navi Volg!

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:20 am

Maineiacs wrote:
Greater Nazi Germanic Reich wrote:The Society of St. Pius X is a Traditionalist Catholic sect that is not in communion with the official Church. They hold far-right fascist views and they sympathize with fascist regimes such as Vichy France. They even offer pilgrimages to the tomb of Vichy dictator Philippe Petain.

They're worse than I thought then.

Ignoring, of course, that that's not actually true. SSPX probably is pretty far right, but they're reactionaries rather than fascists. They're also not heretics- they allow the vatican to audit their seminaries, which routinely get high marks for doctrinal orthodoxy- which is more than one can say for many orders in regular union. They are in rather poor union with Rome, which is almost entirely their own fault, although that's likely to change in the next few years due to ongoing talks.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:46 am

ThePeacekeepers wrote:

Yahshua (or you would call him Jesus) says you should pray in this manner.

A Scots pastor used to start each day in a bare room with only a desk chair, lamp and bible; there he would pray for one hour.
It happened that his congregation was facing some great crisis; the Pastor's friends said to him "In light of this situation, we think you should temporarily revise this habit of prayer", thinking that he would be more active in talking to others in order to find a solution. "You are right" he declared. "From now on, it's a minimum of TWO hours."
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Nordengrund » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:26 am

I have searching for the path God intends for me to take. I have figured out some of what I am supposed to do like my passions and talents, but I don't have any specifics.

I looked up the meaning of my full name as I was curious what it meant when all the names are put together, and I came across something called numerology. Basically your name has a numerical value assigned to it in different categories and they affect your personality, skills and other areas in life. I was suspicious as it seems New Agey, but apparently, Hebrew and Greek names used numerology and the letters were also numbers.

What is your thoughts on this? Should we be cautious of it.
1 John 1:9

Jamzmania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jamzmania » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:29 am

Jamzmania wrote:That's only if you 1) take this to mean he is establishing a ritualized prayer instead of just giving an example of how one ought to pray, and 2) believe this to be a vain repetition.

Also in conjunction with verse 8, it is clear Jesus is teaching against spit balling, in favor of a ritualized prayer.

I don't think he was, but whatever.

I don't see how verse 8 is a teaching against praying with your own words and in favor of ritualized prayer.

"Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him."

The "them" in this verse refers to the heathens who use vain repetitions. I just don't see how this says, "Ye shall pray only in memorized verse."
Call upon me,
And I will equalize."

Jamzmania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jamzmania » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:31 am

Nordengrund wrote:I have searching for the path God intends for me to take. I have figured out some of what I am supposed to do like my passions and talents, but I don't have any specifics.

I looked up the meaning of my full name as I was curious what it meant when all the names are put together, and I came across something called numerology. Basically your name has a numerical value assigned to it in different categories and they affect your personality, skills and other areas in life. I was suspicious as it seems New Agey, but apparently, Hebrew and Greek names used numerology and the letters were also numbers.

The numbers of your name don't define who you are. I would venture to say they don't even affect you.
Call upon me,
And I will equalize."

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Nordengrund » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:34 am

Jamzmania wrote:
Nordengrund wrote:I have searching for the path God intends for me to take. I have figured out some of what I am supposed to do like my passions and talents, but I don't have any specifics.

The numbers of your name don't define who you are. I would venture to say they don't even affect you.

Probably. I did insert my full name as an experiment and the results pretty much defined me exactly.
1 John 1:9

Jamzmania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jamzmania » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:37 am

Nordengrund wrote:
Jamzmania wrote:The numbers of your name don't define who you are. I would venture to say they don't even affect you.

Probably. I did insert my full name as an experiment and the results pretty much defined me exactly.

They probably have very generalized, vague characteristics that can pretty much define anyone.
Call upon me,
And I will equalize."

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:40 am

Most Eternal Angvaria wrote:
Greater Nazi Germanic Reich wrote:Is that true?

I was an avid fan of the SSPX 46 years ago...

And now you are presumably over 60 years of age with an anime girl avatar?
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:43 am

Jamzmania wrote:

I don't think he was, but whatever.

I don't see how verse 8 is a teaching against praying with your own words and in favor of ritualized prayer.

"Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him."

The "them" in this verse refers to the heathens who use vain repetitions. I just don't see how this says, "Ye shall pray only in memorized verse."

This discussion barely scratches the surface of prayer, but to the point:

"8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

9 “Pray then in this way:"

He's clearly pointing out that God knows what you need before you even ask, thus there is no need to enumerate them specifically. There's no need to list of desires, wishes, and requests, He already knows what they are. Instead, then offer up this ritualized type of prayer. The "Our Father" Glorifies God, and prostrates oneself before God.

There's no need to spitball it.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:44 am

It's important to note, that Hebrew/Greek numerology is descriptive not prescriptive

Jamzmania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jamzmania » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:50 am

Jamzmania wrote:I don't think he was, but whatever.

This discussion barely scratches the surface of prayer, but to the point:

He's clearly pointing out that God knows what you need before you even ask, thus there is no need to enumerate them specifically. There's no need to list of desires, wishes, and requests, He already knows what they are. Instead, then offer up this ritualized type of prayer. The "Our Father" Glorifies God, and prostrates oneself before God.

If you were to use the argument of "God already knows what you're going to say, so don't bother," then what's the point of praying at all? I also still do not believe that Jesus is establishing a ritualized prayer, he's simply giving an example. For example, in the King James Bible, verse 9 is rendered as such: "After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name."

"After this manner" does not mean "always pray with these exact words."
Call upon me,
And I will equalize."

Urran
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 22, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Urran » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:41 am

What Jam said
A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it's accepted by a majority.
Proud Coastie
The Blood Ravens wrote: How wonderful. Its like Japan, and 1950''s America had a baby. All the racism of the 50s, and everything else Japanese.

I <3 James May

I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith
❤BITTEN BY THE VAMPIRE QUEEN OF COOKIES❤

Coulee Croche
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 19, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Coulee Croche » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:01 am

Jamzmania wrote:
Tarsonis Survivors wrote:This discussion barely scratches the surface of prayer, but to the point:

If you were to use the argument of "God already knows what you're going to say, so don't bother," then what's the point of praying at all?

So you pray because God doesnt know? We know he knows, we dont pray because he doesnt.
" O death, where is thy victory? O death, where is thy sting? "-1 Cor. 15:55
"A man who governs his passions is master of the world." -St. Dominic
"Silence is more profitable than speech, for it has been said, 'The words of wise men are heard, even in quiet." -St. Basil the Great
"Ponder the fact that God has made you a gardener, to root out vice and plant virtue" -St. Catherine of Siena
"Hatred is not a creative force. Love alone creates. Suffering will not prevail over us, it will only melt us down and strengthen us" -St. Maximilian Kolbe
"Seul l'amour donne du prix aux choses. L'unique nécessaire, c'est que l'amour soit si ardent que rien n'empêche d'aimer." -Ste. Thérèse d'Avila

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General