NATION

PASSWORD

Christian Discussion Thread VII: The Christ Awakens.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your denomination?

Roman Catholic
32%
Eastern Orthodox
7%
Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East , etc.)
1%
Anglican/Episcopalian
7%
Methodist
4%
Lutheran or Reformed (including Calvinist, Presbyterian, etc.)
11%
Baptist
11%
Other Evangelical Protestant (Pentecostal, non-denominational, etc.)
13%
Restorationist (LDS Movement, Jehovah's Witness, etc.)
3%
Other Christian
13%

Total votes : 664

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Menassa » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:53 pm

Ashlak wrote:
Menassa wrote:Are they the ones that say they are not a cult?

Yep! I would describe them more as "cult like" rather than full cult. There was the International Churches of Christ, which went full cult.

Conscentia wrote:What Christian sect doesn't do that?

Yeah, but they're accused of it very often due to their highly exclusive mindset.

"We are the only true Christians! All denominationalists will burn in hell! Be in the world but not of the world!"

K. that's just monotheism though, would you mind directing me to one of their websites?
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Ashlak
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 29, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ashlak » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:53 pm

West Phoencia wrote:
Ashlak wrote:I am no longer a christian, but I was raised in the Church of Christ, a restorationist church. Anyone here familiar with it? I'm asking because it seems so few people know about it in general.

You referring to the ICOC started by Kipp McKean?

The ICOC split off from the broader COC movement. To put it simply, the ICOC is full cult, while the COC is cult-like.
I am a girl of the transgender variety

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:55 pm

Ashlak wrote:
New confederate ramenia wrote:only vaguely

Well, they believe that usage of musical instruments in worship is a sin, and that they were the first church established by J.C. himself in the first century, which I am sure pisses off the Roman Catholics and Orthodox christians. :p

Conscentia wrote:There's a lot of denominations that use that name.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Christ

I was often told growing up that "Church of Christ doesn't mean our Church of Christ". You have the mainstream conservative sect, the non institutional conservatives (called 'antis'), and the liberal sect, which isn't really that liberal from what I've heard.

Menassa wrote:Are they the ones that say they are not a cult?

Yep! I would describe them more as "cult like" rather than full cult. There was the International Churches of Christ, which went full cult.

Conscentia wrote:What Christian sect doesn't do that?

Yeah, but they're accused of it very often due to their highly exclusive mindset.

"We are the only true Christians! All denominationalists will burn in hell! Be in the world but not of the world!"

I wonder if anyone has ever told them about the Psalms, which are full of references to instruments being used.

Or how Moses's sister hit a tambourine and lead the ladies of Israel in a celebration, one time. :3

Or how the Angels are constantly singing to God in Ezekiel.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Huguenoxe
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Huguenoxe » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:59 pm

the Church of Christ has actually bred a lot of bad fruit and heresy, I know of one person a self-proclaimed "pastor" who had a divorce and remarried and he attended a Church of Christ seminary and he denies the Trinity and is just a rank heretic/charlatan
Christian, Paleo-Conservative, Race Realist (I am not a racist, I do not hate any race or claim one is superior, I merely acknowledge race exist.), I am a Traditionalist and stand for Traditional values.
Make America Great Again

West Phoencia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 05, 2014

Postby West Phoencia » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:01 pm

I am apart of the ICOC. It is not a cult.

Menassa
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Menassa » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:02 pm

Huguenoxe wrote:the Church of Christ has actually bred a lot of bad fruit and heresy, I know of one person a self-proclaimed "pastor" who had a divorce and remarried and he attended a Church of Christ seminary and he denies the Trinity and is just a rank heretic/charlatan

I deny the trinity, yo.

West Phoencia wrote:I am apart of the ICOC. It is not a cult.

That's exactly what a cult would say.
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

The Alexanderians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alexanderians » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:02 pm

Well nothing for nothing, one's word doesn't really count for much in a discussion. I mean if you site evidence people listen intently to it.
Galloism wrote:Or we can go with feminism doesn't exist. We all imagined it. Collectively.
You can't fight the friction
Women belong in the kitchen
Men belong in the kitchen
Everyone belongs in the kitchen
Kitchen has food
I have brought dishonor to my gaming clan
Achesia wrote:Threads like this is why I need to stop coming to NSG....

Marethian Lupanar of Teladre wrote:A bright and cheerful mountain village of chapel-goers~

The Archregimancy wrote:
Hagia Sophia is best church.

Major-Tom wrote:Why am I full of apathy?

I'm just here to be the peanut gallery
уσυ нανєи'т gσт тнє fυℓℓ єffє¢т

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:03 pm

What exactly do you guys believe and do? :unsure:

Hope I don't sound jerky, I'm just wondering.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
-Alan Jackson

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:04 pm

Menassa wrote:
Huguenoxe wrote:the Church of Christ has actually bred a lot of bad fruit and heresy, I know of one person a self-proclaimed "pastor" who had a divorce and remarried and he attended a Church of Christ seminary and he denies the Trinity and is just a rank heretic/charlatan

I deny the trinity, yo.

But you're Jewish. Judaism is cool. :)
-Alan Jackson

Menassa
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Menassa » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:05 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Menassa wrote:I deny the trinity, yo.

But you're Jewish. Judaism is cool. :)

Glad to know I'm not a Charlatan. :lol:

Ashlak
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ashlak » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:06 pm

Menassa wrote:
Ashlak wrote:

K. that's just monotheism though, would you mind directing me to one of their websites?

I found this. The One True Church (trademarked) doesn't have much of an internet presence: http://aschurch.org/beliefs/

In my experience, most of them accept the trinity.

Menassa
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Menassa » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:07 pm

Ashlak wrote:
Menassa wrote:K. that's just monotheism though, would you mind directing me to one of their websites?

I found this. The One True Church (trademarked) doesn't have much of an internet presence: http://aschurch.org/beliefs/

Tyvm, because the website I was looking at was an offshoot of Mormonism.
Last edited by Menassa on Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

West Phoencia
Diplomat

Postby West Phoencia » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:07 pm

That's exactly what a cult would say.[/quote]

That is quite a silly statement. Do you kill people? If you say no, thats exactly what a killer would say. Lol

Menassa
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Menassa » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:08 pm

West Phoencia wrote:That is quite a silly statement. Do you kill people? If you say no, thats exactly what a killer would say. Lol

It is exactly what a killer would say, which only proves the silliness of your original position.

West Phoencia
Diplomat

Postby West Phoencia » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:12 pm

Luminesa wrote:

What exactly do you guys believe and do? :unsure:

Not at all.

Bible has always been the inspired Word of God. Belief in Jesus Christ, his divinity birth, death and Resurrection.

Nothing strange and unusual. It is a fire for God group so for many it can be seen as high demand. Once Kipp and bis followers left to form the ICC its just a on fire for God church.

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:14 pm

West Phoencia wrote:
Luminesa wrote:What exactly do you guys believe and do? :unsure:

Not at all.
Bible has always been the inspired Word of God. Belief in Jesus Christ, his divinity birth, death and Resurrection.
Nothing strange and unusual. It is a fire for God group so for many it can be seen as high demand. Once Kipp and bis followers left to form the ICC its just a on fire for God church.

Fire for God?

The Alexanderians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alexanderians » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:15 pm

Conscentia wrote:
West Phoencia wrote:Not at all.

Fire for God?

Sounds...actually that sounds extremely cultish. I didn't think so before...now I do.
Galloism wrote:Or we can go with feminism doesn't exist. We all imagined it. Collectively.
You can't fight the friction
Women belong in the kitchen
Men belong in the kitchen
Everyone belongs in the kitchen
Kitchen has food
I have brought dishonor to my gaming clan
Achesia wrote:Threads like this is why I need to stop coming to NSG....

Marethian Lupanar of Teladre wrote:A bright and cheerful mountain village of chapel-goers~

The Archregimancy wrote:
Hagia Sophia is best church.

Major-Tom wrote:Why am I full of apathy?

I'm just here to be the peanut gallery
уσυ нανєи'т gσт тнє fυℓℓ єffє¢т

West Phoencia
Diplomat

Postby West Phoencia » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:16 pm

Menassa wrote:
West Phoencia wrote:That is quite a silly statement. Do you kill people? If you say no, thats exactly what a killer would say. Lol

It is exactly what a killer would say, which only proves the silliness of your original position.

not all all. Some innocent would deny being a killer but by your thought process they are lying and indeed a killer.

People throw the word cult around alot of times without really understanding. Some times its just better not to label something unjustily.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:17 pm

Menassa wrote:

I deny the trinity, yo.

Which is one of a few reasons why you wouldn't be classified as an orthodox Christian ;P

Aside from the fact that you're Jewish.
Last edited by Salus Maior on Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

West Phoencia
Diplomat

Postby West Phoencia » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:18 pm

The Alexanderians wrote:
Conscentia wrote:Fire for God?

Sounds...actually that sounds extremely cultish. I didn't think so before...now I do.

Bible says if you are neither hot nor cold but luke warm God will spit you out of his mouth. Its not cultish its living by the Word of God.

Ashlak
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ashlak » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:19 pm

Menassa wrote:
Ashlak wrote:

Tyvm, because the website I was looking at was an offshoot of Mormonism.

You're welcome! From what I've read there, the beliefs on that site are of the mainstream conservative sect, the most common, and the one I was raised in. I can't really tell you much about the other ones (liberal, non institutional conservative, ICOC).

Menassa
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Menassa » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:19 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Menassa wrote:I deny the trinity, yo.

Which is one of a few reasons why you wouldn't be classified as an orthodox Christian ;P

Aside from the fact that you're Jewish.

Shhh, don't say my secret out loud.

West Phoencia wrote:
Menassa wrote:It is exactly what a killer would say, which only proves the silliness of your original position.

not all all. Some innocent would deny being a killer but by your thought process they are lying and indeed a killer.

People throw the word cult around alot of times without really understanding. Some times its just better not to label something unjustily.

Newp, if I claim you are a cult, I must prove you are a cult, I never claimed you were a cult. You however claimed you were not a cult.

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:19 pm

West Phoencia wrote:
The Alexanderians wrote:Sounds...actually that sounds extremely cultish. I didn't think so before...now I do.

Bible says if you are neither hot nor cold but luke warm God will spit you out of his mouth. Its not cultish its living by the Word of God.

1. That doesn't explain what "fire for God" means.
2. Where does it say that?

Ovybia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovybia » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:19 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Ovybia wrote:Hello all! A friendly Roman Catholic here. 8)

Ovy! Hai! :hug:

Kia ora! I didn't know you were a Catholic.
Please approve Child Destruction Ban. If you don't, the Ovybian dragon will come eat you.
Prolife? Consider joining Right to Life, one of the 100 largest regions of NS
Signature Details
Practicing courteousness in an NS argument never hurt anyone.
Disclaimer: Admittedly sometimes I need to take my own advice.

Menassa
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Menassa » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:20 pm

Ashlak wrote:
Menassa wrote:Tyvm, because the website I was looking at was an offshoot of Mormonism.

You're welcome! From what I've read there, the beliefs on that site are of the mainstream conservative sect, the most common, and the one I was raised in. I can't really tell you much about the other ones (liberal, non institutional conservative, ICOC).

Would you notice anything different in the one your were raised in than in conventional Christianity?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General