NATION

PASSWORD

Publishing the names of the accused

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:06 pm

Coalition of Minor Planets wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:CHESSMISTRESS PROTOCOL ACTIVATING

It's not sexist. Sexism=predjudice+power, and women have no power, and thus can't be sexist.

CHESSMISTRESS PROTOCOL DEACTIVATING

Oh no, they got you!!

No, no, not at all. I still think it's idiotic and psychotic. I just figured we may as well get it out of the way.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:07 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
Oh no, they got you!!

No, no, not at all. I still think it's idiotic and psychotic. I just figured we may as well get it out of the way.

To the point where actual feminist literature calls such a definition bollocks.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:10 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:No, no, not at all. I still think it's idiotic and psychotic. I just figured we may as well get it out of the way.

I'm not claiming that most feminists believe that. It's just that that's Chessmistress's go-to (and as near as I can tell, only) "argument" whenever she's accused of sexism.
~~~~~~~~

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:10 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

I'm not claiming that most feminists believe that. It's just that that's Chessmistress's go-to (and as near as I can tell, only) "argument" whenever she's accused of sexism.

Aye. It's a reasonably generic whitewashing tactic.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Coalition of Minor Planets
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Coalition of Minor Planets » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:18 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Coalition of Minor Planets wrote:I think that the government should stay out of it.

Freedom of speech and of the press should guarantee that people can go to the press with their story and that those stories can be published.

So you would have no problems with, say, me going to the papers tomorrow with an entirely spurious accusation about you and them proceeding to rake you over the coals for it?

It certainly beats the alternative.

How would you feel if someone beat and sodomized you, and then the government threatens you with punishment if you tell others or publish your story?

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:19 pm

Chessmistress wrote:
Pope Joan wrote:
Until proven guilty, these people are presumed innocent.

Supposedly.

How do you propose to keep these innocent people from being harmed by false accusations?

Remember that the Innocence Project, started in Illinois and now replicated in many states and law schools, has used DNA evidence to prove the innocence of CONVICTS who had been arrested by police, charged by DAs, tried and found guilty by judges and juries. Yet they were completely innocent.

Let us please not be so quick to condemn.

I didn't say they're guilty.
I said that since there's a chance they're guilty, publishing their names can save other women.
Saving other women should be the priority, much more than the temporary embarassement of the few innocent accuseds: just only 2% accusations are false.

Lelwateven. Jesus, woman. It's like you don't even want to be taken seriously.

Being falsely accused of a crime and being branded as a criminal is far worse than just some "temporary embarrassment"? It has serious psychological implications and even when charges are cleared these people can remain branded by people in his life.

Mull things over a bit more next time ;)
Last edited by Esternial on Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:36 pm

Vassenor wrote:
So you would have no problems with, say, me going to the papers tomorrow with an entirely spurious accusation about you and them proceeding to rake you over the coals for it?

How would you feel if someone beat and sodomized you, and then the government threatens you with punishment if you tell others or publish your story?

On the other hand, how would you feel if everyone believed you'd beat and sodomized someone, but actually hadn't?

I mean, I don't have a problem with telling your story, but for the sake of those who are falsely accused, it should at least wait until guilt is established.
~~~~~~~~

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Coalition of Minor Planets » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:49 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:

On the other hand, how would you feel if everyone believed you'd beat and sodomized someone, but actually hadn't?

I'd be pretty pissed at the lying piece of trash. Then I'd work to rightfully destroy their reputation by showing what they are really like.

Wisconsin9 wrote:I mean, I don't have a problem with telling your story, but for the sake of those who are falsely accused, it should at least wait until guilt is established.

The instant someone commits a crime, they are guilty of it.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:55 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:On the other hand, how would you feel if everyone believed you'd beat and sodomized someone, but actually hadn't?

I'd be pretty pissed at the lying piece of trash. Then I'd work to rightfully destroy their reputation by showing what they are really like.

Wisconsin9 wrote:I mean, I don't have a problem with telling your story, but for the sake of those who are falsely accused, it should at least wait until guilt is established.

But until they are proven guilty, they cannot be punished.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Coalition of Minor Planets » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:57 pm

Big Jim P wrote:

We're not talking about them being sentenced for anything.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:00 pm

Big Jim P wrote:

The stigma itself is punishment.

Edit: Note that I did not say "sentenced".
Last edited by Big Jim P on Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:46 pm

I don't think you can say that there is a public interest in having either the names of the accused or the accusers/victims/whatever term is appropriate publically available during a trial... and in most cases probably not after the trial either. However, there is a public interest in having transparent court proceedings so it would need to be a special case, to my way of thinking, where the names of an acquitted defendant would not be available after the trial's finished.

There are several reasons why there is no public interest pre and during trial. For one, interesting to the public is not the same as public interest. More significantly, the assumption is innocence and there's tendency for trial by media (which with certain crimes can even direct itself at the victim... although I think not as frequently), with the resultant ability to influence the outcome of the trial.

On the other hand, as some people will probably point out, a lot (most?) people prosecuted of crimes actually are guilty, in which case you can argue there's a public safety angle and, as such, there's a public interest. However, when I discussed this topic with a friend of mine, who studies law, he pointed out that maybe it is preferable to have fewer people out on bail rather than subjecting those who are erroneously tried to the long term ramifications of that.

Basically, it would be like universal name suppression... until the final decision (not including appeals etc.). I think this is the best balance of principles of justice and transparency.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Coalition of Minor Planets » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:47 pm

Big Jim P wrote:

The stigma itself is punishment.

Edit: Note that I did not say "sentenced".

You can consider that a punishment, it just wouldn't be accurate to say you cannot do it. You can stigmatize someone regardless of their conviction history, criminal history, or anything else.

Chinese Peoples
Minister

Founded: Dec 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Peoples » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:06 pm

Novorobo wrote:This issue pops up a lot in sexual assault cases, but really, it applies to a myriad of other crimes. If someone is accused of a crime, but not yet convicted, should their names be published?
No. Third parties can wait.

On the one hand, if someone is accused of a crime, but not convicted, but it's still plausible enough they may be guilty that the middle ground; of avoiding them just in case, but not throwing them in prison, could be followed accordingly.
A person is innocent before convicted, and that includes the most blatant criminal who confesses in open court. He is innocent until the court actually convicts him.

On the other hand, if someone is not merely acquitted, but outright proven innocent, then there's the issue of how they have to deal with people who've heard of the accusation, but haven't heard of the fact that someone had been proven innocent.
A person acquitted is always innocent.[/quote]

I suppose holding off on publishing the accused's name for a while, to give the courts a chance to prove them innocent, is another alternative, but sometimes it's years after an accusation before someone is "proven" innocent. If we are to extend that beyond the trial, how long is long enough? A month? A year? By what standard would we decide that?
The primary problem with publishing the name of a convicted criminal is as follows: his case may be re-opened in the future and overturned, and people who have the same name might suffer from undue infamy.

Personally, I'd focus on holding off until at least after the trial, but publishing the name of the accused whether they are convicted or not. I get that there's still a bit of a tradeoff between the possibility of being proven innocent and the public's use for this information, but the end of the trial seems like the only meaningful place to draw the line.
The public has no use for this information. They do not have a legal right to know whom the court has convicted.
Last edited by Chinese Peoples on Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IC Title: the Republic of China | MT | Factbooks | the only democratic China on NS
The duty of the state is to prevent danger, not to punish it after it has happened. Rescind the 2nd Amendment, today.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:25 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:On the other hand, how would you feel if everyone believed you'd beat and sodomized someone, but actually hadn't?

I said until guilt is established. You know, legally. Found guilty, and so on.
~~~~~~~~

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:30 pm

Chessmistress wrote:
Pope Joan wrote:
Until proven guilty, these people are presumed innocent.

Supposedly.

How do you propose to keep these innocent people from being harmed by false accusations?

Remember that the Innocence Project, started in Illinois and now replicated in many states and law schools, has used DNA evidence to prove the innocence of CONVICTS who had been arrested by police, charged by DAs, tried and found guilty by judges and juries. Yet they were completely innocent.

Let us please not be so quick to condemn.

I didn't say they're guilty.
I said that since there's a chance they're guilty, publishing their names can save other women.
Saving other women should be the priority, much more than the temporary embarassement of the few innocent accuseds: just only 2% accusations are false.

Approximately 2% of reports of crimes areally fake. That has nothing to do with accusations.. there is a big difference between someone being accused of a crime, and a crime being reported.

Not to mention the other horribly sexist implication in your statement that it specifically benifits women.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Cafe y el Tabaco
Civilian

Founded: Mar 03, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Cafe y el Tabaco » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:37 pm

Chessmistress wrote:I strongly agree with publishing the name of the accused, always, because such information can save other women making them aware he can be a threat.

Just because he/she is a accused doesn't mean they're actually guilty of the crime.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:42 pm

Novorobo wrote:This issue pops up a lot in sexual assault cases, but really, it applies to a myriad of other crimes. If someone is accused of a crime, but not yet convicted, should their names be published?

On the one hand, if someone is accused of a crime, but not convicted, but it's still plausible enough they may be guilty that the middle ground; of avoiding them just in case, but not throwing them in prison, could be followed accordingly.

On the other hand, if someone is not merely acquitted, but outright proven innocent, then there's the issue of how they have to deal with people who've heard of the accusation, but haven't heard of the fact that someone had been proven innocent.

I suppose holding off on publishing the accused's name for a while, to give the courts a chance to prove them innocent, is another alternative, but sometimes it's years after an accusation before someone is "proven" innocent. If we are to extend that beyond the trial, how long is long enough? A month? A year? By what standard would we decide that?

Personally, I'd focus on holding off until at least after the trial, but publishing the name of the accused whether they are convicted or not. I get that there's still a bit of a tradeoff between the possibility of being proven innocent and the public's use for this information, but the end of the trial seems like the only meaningful place to draw the line.

Yes, in the name of Public Safety

The people have a right to know who might be a danger to them. Anyone who is being tried for a crime in court is potentially dangerous; the people should be warned in the name of Public Safety.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:47 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:

Yes, in the name of Public Safety

The people have a right to know who might be a danger to them. Anyone who is being tried for a crime in court is potentially dangerous; the people should be warned in the name of Public Safety.

Anybody I see on the street is potentially dangerous. That's why one of the first things we're taught is not to take candy from strangers.
~~~~~~~~

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Coalition of Minor Planets » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:48 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:

I said until guilt is established. You know, legally. Found guilty, and so on.

So you don't mean establish guilt, you mean convict of a crime.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:49 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:I said until guilt is established. You know, legally. Found guilty, and so on.

So you don't mean establish guilt, you mean convict of a crime.

I don't really see a difference between the two. Not in most cases, at least.
Last edited by Wisconsin9 on Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~~~~~

States of Glory
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:03 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:Yes, in the name of Public Safety

How do I know you're not potentially dangerous? How do you know I'm not potentially dangerous? This is why the burden of proof is on the accuser. I could accuse you of any crime I want to. In that case, would you advocate having your name released to the public?
#KanyeForPresident2K20
Make America Great Britain Again!
TWP's Minister for WA Affairs

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:18 pm

Arrests are public record. The public has the right to examine public records. I have no problem with publishing the names of the arressted.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:49 pm

Someone didn't clarify this when I asked on the first page but does the United States not grant name suppression to defendants in court when certain factors are applicable?
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

The Nuclear Fist
Post Czar

Founded: May 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nuclear Fist » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:48 pm

Nobody should have their name published until after they've been found guilty, otherwise you run the risk of ruining someone's life for no real reason.
[23:24] <Marquesan> I have the feeling that all the porn videos you watch are like...set to Primus' music, Ulysses.
Farnhamia wrote:You're getting a little too fond of the jerkoff motions.
And you touch the distant beaches with tales of brave Ulysses. . .
THE ABSOLUTTM MADMAN ESCAPES JUSTICE ONCE MORE

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General