NATION

PASSWORD

Publishing the names of the accused

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:53 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
States of Glory wrote:That's not the point. The point is that the defendant is going to be branded as a criminal by at least some people if not a majority of people, whether or not they actually committed a crime.

Also, jury trials.

Only the courts have the power to brand people criminals, any ''branding'' done by the general population has no legal force and is thus of no concern as far as rights of the accused are concerned (unless of course, if they run afoul of other laws).

And people who treat someone accused of a heinous crime as a social pariah clearly understand that their branding has no legal standing without a court order!
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:02 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
States of Glory wrote:That's not the point. The point is that the defendant is going to be branded as a criminal by at least some people if not a majority of people, whether or not they actually committed a crime.

Also, jury trials.

Only the courts have the power to brand people criminals, any ''branding'' done by the general population has no legal force and is thus of no concern as far as rights of the accused are concerned (unless of course, if they run afoul of other laws).

Because it's not like jurors never go into the courtroom with no preconceived notions about the case.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:05 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Because it's not like jurors never go into the courtroom with no preconceived notions about the case.

And thats why we shouldn't use jurors; like democracy its faith in the common person's rationality and intellectual capabilities is misguided

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:06 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

And people who treat someone accused of a heinous crime as a social pariah clearly understand that their branding has no legal standing without a court order!

they understand it, I am sure they are under no delusion that they have the legal power to put the person behind bars.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:10 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Gauthier wrote:

they understand it, I am sure they are under no delusion that they have the legal power to put the person behind bars.

Just ruin his social life by ostracism and denial of important services. *nod*
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:48 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

the state is not responsible for your personal popularity

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:16 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Gauthier wrote:

Yes, vital services like pharmacy and hospital is a measure of popularity.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:17 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

That's something that is covered by anti-discrimination laws.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:18 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Gauthier wrote:

Those only apply to gender, orientation, religion and race. Not unproven accusations of being a vile criminal.
Last edited by Gauthier on Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:24 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Those only apply to gender, orientation, religion and race. Not unproven accusations of being a vile criminal.

I'm sure its covered under some other statute. Either way, if that be the case, then the anti-discrimination laws need to be more inclusive.

Either way, I have a sense that if I went to buy a hamburger and the person said to me ''I ain't selling it to you because I think you're a FUCKING criminal''... and I took it to court, there would be some case in my favour.

Slaveavania
Attaché

Founded: Dec 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Slaveavania » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:30 pm

I lean towards not ruining someone's name until they have actually been convicted. I know if I were innocent of a crime, I wouldn't want to suffer at the hands of people who THINK I did something, if I did not. Although that may be because I watched that episode of CSI Miami once. It was crazy.
Last edited by Slaveavania on Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate looking at what other people put in theirs.

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:10 pm

As someone who has been falsely accused of a crime (and acquitted, and later ended up suing the person who made the claims for defamation) I can tell you that name suppression is an absolute necessity.

Society's tendency to automatically equate being charged with a crime with guilt means that those who have grudges against you (as happened to me) know that they just need to accuse you of a crime and have this become public knowledge in order to smear your reputation.

That situation is more common than you might think.

For that reason, by all means publish the names of those who are convicted - society needs protection from them - but those who are accused deserve privacy, lest false accusations become just as damaging as an actual conviction.

States of Glory
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:10 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:Either way, I have a sense that if I went to buy a hamburger and the person said to me ''I ain't selling it to you because I think you're a FUCKING criminal''... and I took it to court, there would be some case in my favour.

That would be what would happen in an ideal world, but we don't live in an ideal world.
#KanyeForPresident2K20
Make America Great Britain Again!
TWP's Minister for WA Affairs

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:37 pm

States of Glory wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:Either way, I have a sense that if I went to buy a hamburger and the person said to me ''I ain't selling it to you because I think you're a FUCKING criminal''... and I took it to court, there would be some case in my favour.

That would be what would happen in an ideal world, but we don't live in an ideal world.

then lets try and make it ideal, but not by suppressing information from the public which they could have used for their own personal safety... because we have this condescending view that they are unable to exercise impartial and critical thinking and by default universally form some kind of condemnatory ''court of public opinion''

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:39 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:

Also, jury trials.

I'm sure the man or woman starving in the street because they have an eternal Google history of being accused of something and therefore cannot get a job will take great comfort in that.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:40 pm

Galloism wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

I'm sure the man or woman starving in the street because they have an eternal Google history of being accused of something and therefore cannot get a job will take great comfort in that.

Definitely. Otherwise she would be indefinitely imprisoned. Though you have to wonder, how do people end up with an eternal Google history of being accused? Now wouldn't that raise the spectre of reasonable doubt in anyone's mind?

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:43 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Galloism wrote:I'm sure the man or woman starving in the street because they have an eternal Google history of being accused of something and therefore cannot get a job will take great comfort in that.

Definitely. Otherwise she would be indefinitely imprisoned. Though you have to wonder, how do people end up with an eternal Google history of being accused? Now wouldn't that raise the spectre of reasonable doubt in anyone's mind?

Possibly, but Google searching is common among employers. Excluding employees based on accused crimes happens already.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Coalition of Minor Planets
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Coalition of Minor Planets » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:02 pm

Tekania wrote:
Coalition of Minor Planets wrote:
I'd be pretty pissed at the lying piece of trash. Then I'd work to rightfully destroy their reputation by showing what they are really like.

The instant someone commits a crime, they are guilty of it.

Well, they are more credible than you, as they didn't beat and sodomize someone like you did.

Your post didn't say anything about me, but it certainly says a lot about you.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:51 pm

Galloism wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Possibly, but Google searching is common among employers. Excluding employees based on accused crimes happens already.

employers hire or don't hire based on perceptions of your ability to do the job, if you've gotten into trouble with the law before, it is entirely reasonable to draw some sort of adverse inference

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:53 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Galloism wrote:Possibly, but Google searching is common among employers. Excluding employees based on accused crimes happens already.

employers hire or don't hire based on perceptions of your ability to do the job, if you've gotten into trouble with the law before, it is entirely reasonable to draw some sort of adverse inference

Which necessarily means that even innocence results in social and economic punishment.
Last edited by Galloism on Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:21 pm

Galloism wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Which necessarily means that even innocence results in social and economic punishment.

No it doesn't. It just depends on who your neighbours are and who you run into.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:23 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Galloism wrote:Which necessarily means that even innocence results in social and economic punishment.

It still means getting accused of a crime is enough to spoil your prospects. Guilty or innocent doesn't matter - your life can be ruined by an accusation.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:06 pm

Galloism wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

It still means getting accused of a crime is enough to spoil your prospects. Guilty or innocent doesn't matter - your life can be ruined by an accusation.

your life can always be ruined by an accusation in any system
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:10 pm

Pope Joan wrote:As a former attorney in general practice, I am opposed to this. We have a nasty tendency to equate mere accusation, without any hearing, any due process, as equivalent to guilt.

If the accused is not brought to trial, we blame the system and still assume he is guilty.

If he is brought to trial and found not guilty, we say there must have been a legal technicality. Of course we all get reminded that the burden of proof "beyond a reasonable doubt" is a high one, and say that of course he is guilty if we can just ignore those doubts.

So all it takes to permanently harm someone is an unfounded accusation.

Remember the Duke Lacrosse players? http://www.wral.com/durham-settles-with ... /13650645/
http://www.mrc.org/articles/selena-robe ... yers-again
http://today.duke.edu/showcase/lacrosseincident/

This ^
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:11 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Galloism wrote:It still means getting accused of a crime is enough to spoil your prospects. Guilty or innocent doesn't matter - your life can be ruined by an accusation.

your life can always be ruined by an accusation in any system

Hence why people are proposing a system where the names of the accused are withheld.

Not sure if that's the best of all possible systems, but you've demonstrated to all that it has merit.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General