NATION

PASSWORD

Singaporeans | Singapura | 新加坡人 | சிங்கப்பூரர்கள்

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Singapore Islands
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Singaporeans | Singapura | 新加坡人 | சிங்கப்பூரர்கள்

Postby Singapore Islands » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:31 am

Hello to all the Singaporeans, and people outside SG who are Singaporeans at heart of NationStates!
Non-Singaporeans are also welcome, but please no flaming or attacking.
Was created just because, but we can chat here :)

So, This is place for all things Singapore, Singaporean politics, the daily issues that those in Singapore and outside all face, your awesome memories and travel pictures, and you can even post any complaints* or opinions regarding Singaporean life, or applying Singaporean style of life outside Singapore.

*I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE THINGS YOU POST HERE, SO PLEASE REFRAIN FROM POSTING ANYTHING SEDITIOUS OR ANYTHING THAT MAY CAUSE REAL LIFE TROUBLE
Pro: Fascism, Police State, Authoritarianism, Putin, USSR, Russia, nations who help
Anti: USA freedom, gum, littering
I have a whole Cabinet, check out my Factbook, and for some news about Singapore
I am a 15 y/o multiethnic Malay-Chinese woman whose fond of politics, maths and bio
You seem too happy today?
Based on IRL(WARNING: and with slight hyperbole)
Prime Minister: Lee Hsien Loong
I am a Filipina who has a Singaporean heart
Your resident Lee Kuan Yew fanatic

"Yi Ying and Kia Kia" Facebook comics page | SINGAPOREANS THREAD | Flag Maker 1.7
Warning: Very patriotic to Singapore I believe that Singaporeans are more superior and better than all them barbarians

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:44 am

Hirota wrote:Singapore is a police state - it has been for a long time now.

To expand upon that, Singapore has many characteristics that are desirable in a society, but it also happens to have punishments for crimes that are near to obscene. Heck, you can be fined for practially anything (such as driving too close to the Malaysian border without a full tank of petrol - Big Brother doesn’t want you to take advantage of the cheaper petrol in Malaysia.
Last edited by Hirota on Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Singapore Islands
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore Islands » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:51 am

Hirota wrote:
Hirota wrote:Singapore is a police state - it has been for a long time now.

To expand upon that, Singapore has many characteristics that are desirable in a society, but it also happens to have punishments for crimes that are near to obscene. Heck, you can be fined for practially anything (such as driving too close to the Malaysian border without a full tank of petrol - Big Brother doesn’t want you to take advantage of the cheaper petrol in Malaysia.

And...? We all know that, and accept it wholeheartedly
Pro: Fascism, Police State, Authoritarianism, Putin, USSR, Russia, nations who help
I have a whole Cabinet, check out my Factbook, and for some news about Singapore
I am a 15 y/o multiethnic Malay-Chinese woman whose fond of politics, maths and bio

"Yi Ying and Kia Kia" Facebook comics page | SINGAPOREANS THREAD | Flag Maker 1.7
Warning: Very patriotic to Singapore I believe that Singaporeans are more superior and better than all them barbarians

Murovanka
Minister

Founded: Sep 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Murovanka » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:52 am

Singapore Islands wrote:
*I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE THINGS YOU POST HERE, SO PLEASE REFRAIN FROM POSTING ANYTHING SEDITIOUS OR ANYTHING THAT MAY CAUSE REAL LIFE TROUBLE

Hi, I live in Singapore, I'm not Singaporean by passport but I count myself as one... and I love the PAP and all the wonderful things it done to the country, including crushing political opposition evil communists and ensuring that they hold a monopoly on power minorities are represented in parliament :)
Your moderate, peaceful Salafi-German-Turko nation, promoter of peace, justice and democracy
Founder of Stille Nacht
Military | Factbooks

Singapore Islands
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore Islands » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:59 am

Murovanka wrote:
Singapore Islands wrote:

Hi, I live in Singapore, I'm not Singaporean by passport but I count myself as one... and I love the PAP and all the wonderful things it done to the country, including crushing political opposition evil communists and ensuring that they hold a monopoly on power minorities are represented in parliament :)

On a serious note, the many many good things that PAP did since its inception outweigh all the bad things attributed to them.
Especially when it was lead by Lee Kuan Yew

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:10 am

Singapore Islands wrote:And...?
you invited opinions in your original post. If you didn't expect them, don't ask for them.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Singapore Islands
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore Islands » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:12 am

Hirota wrote:
Singapore Islands wrote:And...?
you invited opinions in your original post. If you didn't expect them, don't ask for them.

Yah, but that's pretty well known oredi lah :p :p Simi new there ah? But no worries, can discuss more le.

Murovanka
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Murovanka » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:55 am

Singapore Islands wrote:On a serious note, the many many good things that PAP did since its inception outweigh all the bad things attributed to them.
Especially when it was lead by Lee Kuan Yew

Of course of course lah, I never deny that mah, I love PAP soooo much *give big thumbs-up*

We also got moral high ground, got laws protecting children from being exposed to evil sin, eh, like MDA blocking all the bad stuff on the internet also making sure dissenting and immoral voices not heard. Also gotta feel proud to be only nation in civilized world to ban homosexual sex :D

Okay but seriously, best thing here are the Durians (though I know they're not "Singaporean"). They're truly heavenly... godly... if String theory didn't exist I would worship the Durian. If I think about it, perhaps I should worship the Durian cuz there's actual evidence for its existence and for the former there are still like, 7 dimensions that need to be discovered.
Your moderate, peaceful Salafi-German-Turko nation, promoter of peace, justice and democracy
Founder of Stille Nacht
Military | Factbooks

Liberty and Linguistics
Senator

Founded: Jan 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberty and Linguistics » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:19 am

I admire Singapore. That being said, I'm skeptical of some of their institutions that create a stuffy and anti individualistic society. The free markets, economic growth, and dense urban planning is something to be admired, as is the national identity. The rather authoritarian state is not.
I am: Cynic, Depressive, Junior in HS, Arizonan, Sarcastic, Wannabe Psychologist, Lover of Cinema and Rum.

Ziggy played guitar....
For ISIS | On Israel and its settlements | Flat Taxes are beneficial for all | OOC, Baby | Probably Accurate.

Murovanka
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Murovanka » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:41 am

Liberty and Linguistics wrote:I admire Singapore. That being said, I'm skeptical of some of their institutions that create a stuffy and anti individualistic society. The free markets, economic growth, and dense urban planning is something to be admired, as is the national identity. The rather authoritarian state is not.

The authoritarian state has served us well, but it is long past due that Singapore finally lifts the lid on constructive debate. Sending a 16 year old to a mental asylum for making a youtube video?
Founder of Stille Nacht
Military | Factbooks

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 26, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:47 am

Murovanka wrote:
Liberty and Linguistics wrote:I admire Singapore. That being said, I'm skeptical of some of their institutions that create a stuffy and anti individualistic society. The free markets, economic growth, and dense urban planning is something to be admired, as is the national identity. The rather authoritarian state is not.

The authoritarian state has served us well, but it is long past due that Singapore finally lifts the lid on constructive debate. Sending a 16 year old to a mental asylum for making a youtube video?

Gee, it happened?

... okay, I now feel glad that I live in Saigon for a change D:
Art-person(?). Japan liker. tired-ish.
Student in linguistics ???. On-and-off writer.
MAKE CAKE NOT stupidshiticanmakefunof.
born in, raised in and emigrated from vietbongistan lolol
Operating this polity based on preferences and narrative purposes
clowning incident | clowning incident | bottom text
can produce noises in (in order of grasp) vietbongistani, oldspeak
and bonjourois (learning weebspeak and hitlerian at uni)

The Greater Aryan Race
Senator

Founded: Mar 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Aryan Race » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:40 am

Gigaverse wrote:Gee, it happened?

Well, technically it was either a mental institution or jail. The prosecution actually requested he not be sent to jail.

Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things, most of us Singaporeans really couldn't be half-assed to care what some 16 year-old posts on the Internet.
Imperium Sidhicum wrote:So, uh... Is this another one of those threads where everyone is supposed to feel outraged and circle-jerk in agreement of how injust and terrible the described incident is?

Because if it is, I'm probably going to say something mean and contrary just to contradict the majority.

This nation is now IC-ly known as the Teutonic Reich.

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 26, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:42 am

The Greater Aryan Race wrote:
Gigaverse wrote:Gee, it happened?

Well, technically it was either a mental institution or jail. The prosecution actually requested he not be sent to jail.

Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things, most of us Singaporeans really couldn't be half-assed to care what some 16 year-old posts on the Internet.

Nor do people on the Internet in general. :p Your government seems to disagree with that though.
Art-person(?). Japan liker. tired-ish.
Student in linguistics ???. On-and-off writer.
MAKE CAKE NOT stupidshiticanmakefunof.
born in, raised in and emigrated from vietbongistan lolol
Operating this polity based on preferences and narrative purposes
clowning incident | clowning incident | bottom text
can produce noises in (in order of grasp) vietbongistani, oldspeak
and bonjourois (learning weebspeak and hitlerian at uni)

Wolfenium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 17, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Wolfenium » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:45 am

Gigaverse wrote:
The Greater Aryan Race wrote:Well, technically it was either a mental institution or jail. The prosecution actually requested he not be sent to jail.

Nor do people on the Internet in general. :p Your government seems to disagree with that though.

They get edgy over a lot of minor things. That really needs to change. Granted, the boy doesn't understand the meaning of 'too soon', but that doesn't mean he ought to be arrested, or randomly slapped by a morality police officer (who actually did get arrested and jailed a few weeks for that).
Last edited by Wolfenium on Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Name: Wolfenium| Demonym: Wolfener/Wolfen| Tech Level: MT/PMT/FanTech (main timeline) or FT/FanTech
Factbook (under revamping): MT | PT
Characters: Imperial Registry of Houses (PT: Historical Archives)
Embassies: Wolfenium's Diplomatic Quarters - Now open to Embassies and Consulates
National Symbols (Applies for both MT/PMT and FT): Flag (Elaborate)|Anthem

/人 ‿‿ 人\ { Make a contract with me, and save me from the Homu-devil! )

The Greater Aryan Race
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Aryan Race » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:47 am

Gigaverse wrote:Nor do people on the Internet in general. :p Your government seems to disagree with that though.

Technically, it was Singaporeans themselves who went ahead and lodged police reports because their jimmies were rustled by Amos's videos. Then, unfortunately, the State and courts had to act on the police reports and one things leads to another.
Imperium Sidhicum wrote:So, uh... Is this another one of those threads where everyone is supposed to feel outraged and circle-jerk in agreement of how injust and terrible the described incident is?

Because if it is, I'm probably going to say something mean and contrary just to contradict the majority.

Rutthenia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rutthenia » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:49 am

Hi there! I'm originally from Belarus, but I moved to Singapore quite a while ago.
PRO: European Union, Russia, Putin, Pan-Slavism, Vince McMahon
ANTI: Ukraine, Poroshenko, Gay Marriage, BLM
Teenager, Male, Belarusian-American, Catholic. Backpacker, have been to about 20 countries. I like WWE.
Right-winger. I don't care about your beliefs unless you won't shut up about them.

"Do you know what the cure for the human condition is? Disease. Because that's the only way one could hope for a cure."

Wolfenium
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby Wolfenium » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:59 am

Gigaverse wrote:Nor do people on the Internet in general. :p Your government seems to disagree with that though.

Technically, it was Singaporeans themselves who went ahead and lodged police reports because their jimmies were rustled by Amos's videos. Then, unfortunately, the State and courts had to act on the police reports and one things leads to another.

Ah. Not surprising though. LKY's passing made everyone very emotionally charged, it's hard for some people not to be outraged by some hipster kid trying to start a Maggie Party.

Rutthenia wrote:Hi there! I'm originally from Belarus, but I moved to Singapore quite a while ago.

Ah, welcome!
Last edited by Wolfenium on Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Name: Wolfenium| Demonym: Wolfener/Wolfen| Tech Level: MT/PMT/FanTech (main timeline) or FT/FanTech
Embassies: Wolfenium's Diplomatic Quarters - Now open to Embassies and Consulates

The Greater Aryan Race
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Aryan Race » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:08 am

Wolfenium wrote:Ah. Not surprising though. LKY's passing made everyone very emotionally charged, it's hard for some people not to be outraged by some hipster kid trying to start a Maggie Party.

Regrettably, cooler heads did not prevail. Otherwise we could all have avoided this stupid circus act of Amos Yee turning up to court, Amos Yee getting slapped (Admittedly I chuckled a bit at that), Amos Yee insulting his bailors, Amos Yee being hustled off to IMH and Amos Yee becoming the darling of the hardcore liberal minority and the international press.

Rutthenia wrote:Hi there! I'm originally from Belarus, but I moved to Singapore quite a while ago.

Hello there! I trust you're enjoying yourself here?
Last edited by The Greater Aryan Race on Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfenium
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby Wolfenium » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:19 am

Wolfenium wrote:Ah. Not surprising though. LKY's passing made everyone very emotionally charged, it's hard for some people not to be outraged by some hipster kid trying to start a Maggie Party.

Regrettably, cooler heads did not prevail. Otherwise we could all have avoided this stupid circus act of Amos Yee turning up to court, Amos Yee getting slapped (Admittedly I chuckled a bit at that), Amos Yee insulting his bailors, Amos Yee being hustled off to IMH and Amos Yee becoming the darling of the hardcore liberal minority and the international press.

Give it a few years, he'll be back to being another face in a crowd again in no time, depending on how much (or how little) effort he actually puts into his future.

Also, Western press like a 'martyr for freedom'. It's readership gold.

Liberty and Linguistics
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberty and Linguistics » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:35 am

Murovanka wrote:

Completely agree. Lee Kuan Yew, despite his authoritarianism, was instrumental in the development and success of Singapore. Above all else, he created a common identity for the Singaporean people, who are themselves a blend of different peoples.

But, seeing that Singapore is now a developed, stable, and almost western state in the globalize d world, we all know that lifting restrictions on freedom of expression, speech, and other societal quirks will cause no harm to Singapore.
I am: Cynic, Depressive, Junior in HS, Arizonan, Sarcastic, Wannabe Psychologist, Lover of Cinema and Rum.

Ziggy played guitar....
For ISIS | On Israel and its settlements | Flat Taxes are beneficial for all | OOC, Baby | Probably Accurate.

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:59 am

Dato Lee Kuan Yew was an amazing leader who helped transform a swamp into a leading city. Getting the oil refineries in and building Jurong Island was a huge effort and a cue that his set Singapore up as a true power hub in the world.

I do note that in 2007 Mr Lee said that "Malaysia has got all the resources. If they would just educate the Chinese and Indians, use them and treat them as their citizens, they can equal us and even do better than us and we would be happy to rejoin them,”

so do you think that reunification with Malaysia is ever going to happen?

Liberty and Linguistics
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberty and Linguistics » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:48 am

Cetacea wrote:Dato Lee Kuan Yew was an amazing leader who helped transform a swamp into a leading city. Getting the oil refineries in and building Jurong Island was a huge effort and a cue that his set Singapore up as a true power hub in the world.

I do note that in 2007 Mr Lee said that "Malaysia has got all the resources. If they would just educate the Chinese and Indians, use them and treat them as their citizens, they can equal us and even do better than us and we would be happy to rejoin them,”

No, nor do I want it to happen.

Ziggy played guitar....

Tolko Temnota
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Tolko Temnota » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:59 am

Cetacea wrote:Dato Lee Kuan Yew was an amazing leader who helped transform a swamp into a leading city. Getting the oil refineries in and building Jurong Island was a huge effort and a cue that his set Singapore up as a true power hub in the world.

Probably not. While they're fairly culturally similar, there still seems to be some sort of Singaporean identity, and I highly doubt Singapore's government would ever willingly give up sovereignty to another country. The current global trend is towards more autonomy anyway, not less.
When you begin to see that your enemy is suffering, that is the beginning of insight.
―Thích Nhất Hạnh
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Rest in peace, Dyakovo.

Lydenburg
Senator

Founded: May 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:01 pm

I can remember back when all the buildings weren't new.

I swear, every time I went back there the place looked different. In all the shopping centres the toilets have shifted. It's impossible to find any of the exact spots from the photographs I took back in 1999, 2003, 2006...no sense of nostalgia these people.

I was in Singapore on and off for both business and pleasure. In fact, I worked with a company that had an ongoing partnership with a Singaporean firm and visits were exchanged a few times a year. I became very well acquainted with their Joburg liaison officer, a former policeman, and he had some stories to tell about those ridiculous draconian laws. Like how all buildings over forty years old are immediately condemned by the state unless they're a) of justifiable historical/cultural importance, or b) won an architectural award at some point in their past. The cost of the constant demolition and reconstruction must be mind boggling. Incredible!

Ek bly in Australie nou, maar Afrika sal altyd in my hart wees. Maak nie saak wat gebeur nie, ek is trots om te kan sê ek is 'n kind van hierdie ingewikkelde soms wrede kontinent. Mis jou altyd my Suid-Afrika, hier met n seer hart al die pad van Melbourne af!

Singapore Islands
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore Islands » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:18 pm

Idk, but hopefully not. Singapore is good as it is

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General