NATION

PASSWORD

Possible New Anti-Aging Drug to begin human trials

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Liberty and Linguistics
Senator

Founded: Jan 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberty and Linguistics » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:41 pm

Merizoc wrote:But do doctors hate them?

Let me check the ads on the sidebar of every website ever.

Ooh, Hot Asian singles in my area?
I am: Cynic, Depressive, Junior in HS, Arizonan, Sarcastic, Wannabe Psychologist, Lover of Cinema and Rum.

Ziggy played guitar....
For ISIS | On Israel and its settlements | Flat Taxes are beneficial for all | OOC, Baby | Probably Accurate.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:47 pm

Liberty and Linguistics wrote:
Merizoc wrote:But do doctors hate them?

I can't wait to see the TV commercials for this when it's launched.

Happy people, while the spokesperson talks about all the side-effects.

''You could potentially die.'' And they cut to the lady playing with her dog.

"Lameota can cause blood clots, a third nipple, enlargement of the nut sack, homicidal thoughts and aspirations to become a politician. Do not take Lameota if you have 11 fingers, vote Libertarian or think you're pregnant with the Antichrist. Burning sensation when peeing purple may occur in diabetic patients. Consult a doctor if you're a woman and suddenly grow testicles. This may be a serious and fatal side effect that can result in death from the fucking stupidity of those who created this medicine.

Lameota, if you dare."
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:52 pm

Galloism wrote:
Anima Gentem wrote:We still trying to defy death? That's nice. Unless we figure out how to expand our life for another hundred years or so then I say don't bother. We have enough of a growing population to worry about without making them live even longer. Call me horrible for it but like I said in the thread about world population, we're gonna have to do something to stop the sharp increase in population

Logically, since it increases the robustness of the cells (hypothetically), we could delay childbearing longer and wind up with fewer children to offset the population surge.

The problem is there's only so many eggs so one can't delay it as much as one would think. The life gain would exceed the birth rate decline.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Anima Gentem
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Anima Gentem » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:53 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Anima Gentem wrote:We still trying to defy death? That's nice. Unless we figure out how to expand our life for another hundred years or so then I say don't bother. We have enough of a growing population to worry about without making them live even longer. Call me horrible for it but like I said in the thread about world population, we're gonna have to do something to stop the sharp increase in population

So I assume you are voluntarily abstaining from all modern medicine in furtherance of goal of slowing population growing by stopping people living longer?

Not necessarily. It's an idea but not the one I'm advocating. No need to give up medicine for the common cold or flu and pneumonia and such and such. But huge causes of death like heart failures, strokes, cancers. Call me a terrible person but we should stop trying to cure those. Just imagine watching the population skyrocket with all those deaths no longer offsetting it. And before you say, "Well what if you are a family member had those happen?" Then so be it. I definitely wouldn't mind it happening to me. I know how to something larger than myself first. I do admit I would be saddened if a family member or friend caught it but that's just how it's supposed to be :/ You have to be willing to make sacrifices for the bigger picture
~Best Regards,
SawJacksoul

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:55 pm

So the very rich get to stay in power longer?

Greaaaaaaaattttt...
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Liberty and Linguistics
Senator

Founded: Jan 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberty and Linguistics » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:55 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

"Lameota can cause blood clots, a third nipple, enlargement of the nut sack, homicidal thoughts and aspirations to become a politician. Do not take Lameota if you have 11 fingers, vote Libertarian or think you're pregnant with the Antichrist. Burning sensation when peeing purple may occur in diabetic patients. Consult a doctor if you're a woman and suddenly grow testicles. This may be a serious and fatal side effect that can result in death from the fucking stupidity of those who created this medicine.

Lameota, if you dare."

I do wonder if those sorts of commercials try to be ironic.
I am: Cynic, Depressive, Junior in HS, Arizonan, Sarcastic, Wannabe Psychologist, Lover of Cinema and Rum.

Ziggy played guitar....
For ISIS | On Israel and its settlements | Flat Taxes are beneficial for all | OOC, Baby | Probably Accurate.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:56 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

I do wonder if those sorts of commercials try to be ironic.

Could be. However, as intent as they are on selling their product, perhaps not. I can only picture how a commercial for this anti-aging drug will be like, judging by the way other drugs are marketed these days.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:58 pm

Anima Gentem wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:So I assume you are voluntarily abstaining from all modern medicine in furtherance of goal of slowing population growing by stopping people living longer?

Not necessarily. It's an idea but not the one I'm advocating. No need to give up medicine for the common cold or flu and pneumonia and such and such. But huge causes of death like heart failures, strokes, cancers. Call me a terrible person but we should stop trying to cure those. Just imagine watching the population skyrocket with all those deaths no longer offsetting it. And before you say, "Well what if you are a family member had those happen?" Then so be it. I definitely wouldn't mind it happening to me. I know how to something larger than myself first. I do admit I would be saddened if a family member or friend caught it but that's just how it's supposed to be :/ You have to be willing to make sacrifices for the bigger picture

Bigger picture is we are barely making use of land we have on earth, we are using terribly inefficient source of fuel, our farming methods could do with a lot of work and frankly earth is a speck of rock on middle of nowhere in a universe filled with similar specks of rock. Our problem isn't the population; our problem is we haven't made sufficient advancements in fields of nuclear fusion, lab grown foods, genetic engineering, space travel and there is immense amount of politics surrounding fission, GM foods and genetic research which really shouldn't be there.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:59 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:
Galloism wrote:Logically, since it increases the robustness of the cells (hypothetically), we could delay childbearing longer and wind up with fewer children to offset the population surge.

The problem is there's only so many eggs so one can't delay it as much as one would think. The life gain would exceed the birth rate decline.

Approximately 300,000 upon the onset of puberty.

And a woman releases, on average, 1-2 per month.
Last edited by Galloism on Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Anima Gentem
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Anima Gentem » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:23 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Anima Gentem wrote:

Bigger picture is we are barely making use of land we have on earth, we are using terribly inefficient source of fuel, our farming methods could do with a lot of work and frankly earth is a speck of rock on middle of nowhere in a universe filled with similar specks of rock. Our problem isn't the population; our problem is we haven't made sufficient advancements in fields of nuclear fusion, lab grown foods, genetic engineering, space travel and there is immense amount of politics surrounding fission, GM foods and genetic research which really shouldn't be there.

Unfortunately we're really retarded and don't care. I know the efficiency. But whatever keeps profits up. So since I'm doubtful any of that will change, the problem remains to be population. We'd best be fast though. According to Stephen Hawking, we only have about 100 years to get off this rock. Why? Who knows that's just what he said although if we notice the issues I'm sure he already has and has assessed them
~Best Regards,
SawJacksoul

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:35 pm

Anima Gentem wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:

Unfortunately we're really retarded and don't care. I know the efficiency. But whatever keeps profits up. So since I'm doubtful any of that will change, the problem remains to be population. We'd best be fast though. According to Stephen Hawking, we only have about 100 years to get off this rock. Why? Who knows that's just what he said although if we notice the issues I'm sure he already has and has assessed them

I don't know why people listen to Stephen Hawking for anything other then maths and singularities. People do know that's his field of expertise, right? He dosent know anything about AI, or the future or anything outside singularities. He's not an MD, not a sociologist, not a nuclear engineer or a geneticist.

(Sorry for ranting at you, it's nothing personal. :) )
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:06 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Galloism wrote:Hypothetically, if this were to occur, I think we should give five years paid leave for mothers and fathers to produce children somewhere in the early 20s, then we could extend retirement age up to like 90.

Might bring our birth rate back up, at least in places where the birth rate needs to be brought back up.

Extending everything in this manner makes the most sense, though i'd be even more hesitant to use this drug pre-puberty, it seems to me that that might require seperate trials to see how it effects sexual development, and that's got a whole plethora of issues.

EDIT:
Shit. I mean, the whole "growing" thing might be extended. You don't grow to 6'6 and your body goes "K done now."

You grow a little bit over time during a period where your body is growing, and each step is just an incremental one. Eventually that time period ends, and you are what height you end up as.

Give kids this drug and we might end up with fucking giants and stuff, which has it's OWN problems. (Giganticism and all that.)

Give it to little girls and they might end up taller than me and I'm by no means short!
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Olivaero
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Olivaero » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:37 pm

Napkiraly wrote:Why not?

Just personal reasons.

For instance, the thought of being senile and unable to do most physical activities frightens me. I want to remain in decent shape, and I want to remain sharp as a nail mentally. Furthermore, 80 years is more than enough. I feel like after 65, I'd get bored, retire, then prefer to die sometime around 75-80.

This drug if it is successful would make you sharper in between 65 and 80 if you don't want to live beyond 80 there's always the option of just taking your own life. Surely it's nicer to have the option to live longer rather than biology just saying "times up mate time for 3 different types of cancer at once after 10 years of alzheimers!" Especially seeing you have no idea how you'll feel when your 80 I don't know how old you are but I assume it is a very long way off. Over 50 years I expect. Massive, massive changes can happen inside 50 years.
British, Anglo Celtic, English, Northerner.

Transhumanist, Left Hegelian, Marxist, Communist.

Agnostic Theist, Culturally Christian.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:55 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Galloism wrote:Hypothetically, if this were to occur, I think we should give five years paid leave for mothers and fathers to produce children somewhere in the early 20s, then we could extend retirement age up to like 90.

Might bring our birth rate back up, at least in places where the birth rate needs to be brought back up.

Extending everything in this manner makes the most sense, though i'd be even more hesitant to use this drug pre-puberty, it seems to me that that might require seperate trials to see how it effects sexual development, and that's got a whole plethora of issues.

EDIT:
Shit. I mean, the whole "growing" thing might be extended. You don't grow to 6'6 and your body goes "K done now."

You grow a little bit over time during a period where your body is growing, and each step is just an incremental one. Eventually that time period ends, and you are what height you end up as.

Give kids this drug and we might end up with fucking giants and stuff, which has it's OWN problems. (Giganticism and all that.)

Metformin is already on the market, so we already know a lot about it from a safety standpoint. My dad's been taking it for years. IIRC, it screws with vitamin absorption, particularly vitamin D, but otherwise is pretty safe.

I am not sure if there are any special issues with giving it to children, but considering children can get diabetes, it probably has been studied already.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Kraylandia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Kraylandia » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:46 am

It probably won't work in the first place, but meh I don't really want to live past 60 or 70 anyway.
You can call me Luci
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent..
Jello is my bored buddy!
Lito's NS wife

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know gender and sex aren't the same thing ⚧

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009

Postby Esternial » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:54 am

Galloism wrote:Anyone realize how long the clinical trials will have to last on this to see if it works?

Twenty years if we were so lucky, but considering they want to investigate its effect on age...substantially larger.

Olivaero
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Olivaero » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:57 am

Kraylandia wrote:It probably won't work in the first place, but meh I don't really want to live past 60 or 70 anyway.

Once again this weird age thing... what specifically bothers you about being older than 60?

Singaporean Transhumans
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Singaporean Transhumans » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:00 am

TRANSHUMANISM! F**K YE-

Oh wait, it's just a life extension thing only applicable for the rich. My bad. *disappears into corner*
SYNCRETIC COMBINE - SINKRETIČKE KOMBINAT
Factbook - Trobojka
JEDNOM ZAUVEK - ARMIJA SINKOMSKA

Olivaero
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Olivaero » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:05 am

Singaporean Transhumans wrote:TRANSHUMANISM! F**K YE-

Oh wait, it's just a life extension thing only applicable for the rich. My bad. *disappears into corner*

Whilst 20 cents a day is probably not affordable to some people, if you can afford internet you almost definitely are not one of them.
EDIT: oops
Last edited by Olivaero on Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:20 am

Olivaero wrote:
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:TRANSHUMANISM! F**K YE-

Whilst 20 cents a day is probably not affordable to some people, if you can afford internet you almost definitely are not one of them.

That's not strictly true. You would be surprised what hellholes have internet, especially mobile phone internet these days. Hell you can get it in North Korea.
More to the point 20 cents is the cost as is. It is not the cost modified by demand and by profit from pharmaceutical companies. The same people who have no qualms about charging people many, many times over what the drug actually costs. I would not at all be surprised if by the time this hits the market it's closer to 20 euro per pop.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Kilobugya
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 05, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Kilobugya » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:25 am

Great news if it actually works. I just hope it'll be covered by universal healthcare schemes everywhere, having such a drug available but reserved for the rich would be a terrible crime.
Secular humanist and trans-humanist, rationalist, democratic socialist, pacifist, dreaming very high to not perform too low.
Economic Left/Right: -9.50 - Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.69

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:26 am

Kilobugya wrote:having such a drug available but reserved for the rich would be a terrible crime.

And that's why you know that's exactly what will happen.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Olivaero
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Olivaero » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:35 am

Purpelia wrote:
Olivaero wrote:Whilst 20 cents a day is probably not affordable to some people, if you can afford internet you almost definitely are not one of them.

That's not strictly true. You would be surprised what hellholes have internet, especially mobile phone internet these days. Hell you can get it in North Korea.
More to the point 20 cents is the cost as is. It is not the cost modified by demand and by profit from pharmaceutical companies. The same people who have no qualms about charging people many, many times over what the drug actually costs. I would not at all be surprised if by the time this hits the market it's closer to 20 euro per pop.

Theres internet, then theres being able post on a relatively niche forum at your leisure. There will be massive demand, and at least in europe probably massive government pressure for companies to keep the price down. I honestly have no idea what internet costs are in the 3rd world but I was guessing in the region of cents a day similar to what this is.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:42 am

Olivaero wrote:Theres internet, then theres being able post on a relatively niche forum at your leisure.

I think you got the message though. :p

There will be massive demand, and at least in europe probably massive government pressure for companies to keep the price down.

That's the thing. Even if every government gets all good and helpful over this (like they'll happen) and puts pressure and stuff and even if the pharmaceutical companies suddenly grow a heart (yea and like the sun will turn black and hell transform into an amusement park, but w/e) a large demand will by nature of being large cause prices to rise as a lot of people contest for a limited supply of the drug. So even under ideal conditions things will still get pricy.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:47 am

Meh.

I don't really see the point of this drug, to be honest. Death after all is the great equalizer: no matter how good or evil you are, no matter if you are a billionaire or someone who only has a penny to his name, you all die in the end. And if one is immortal, and can live forever... it will be impossible because your mind will eventually wear out.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General