NATION

PASSWORD

Being triggered has nothing to do with being offended.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:40 pm

Herskerstad wrote:In the future, one could only wonder how the previous generation made it by just fine without said trigger warnings.

Future hell - I grew up without 99% of the asshattery that goes on today, and did just fine. In fact, I remember a rather fun, joyous even, childhood full of bumps, bruises, fights, bullies, emergency room visits, risk-taking, a lack of seat belts and child restraints, being outside all damn day long regardless of the season, and more or less running ourselves ragged with it all. And somehow, managing.

Does it work for all? No, of course not. But I'm telling you folks, that overall, we have taken huge steps backwards in enabling people in general to be accountable for themselves, take care of themselves, fend for themselves, stand up for themselves, hell - even to think for themselves. Mob mentality and the like applies to more than just riots. Dare I say social media, anyone?

No, it wasn't perfect. Yes, I'm sure we made tons of mistakes. But overall, we had to answer for ourselves. Our teachers weren't held responsible for our grades unless some unfairness was actually going on. Bullying was not actually encouraged, but we weren't so backwards about it that a kindergartener taking a bite out of his Pop-Tart and holding it like a weapon would get suspended, let alone chastised for being, more or less, a kid.

There are people who have legitimate issues that they cannot control, and can be very debilitating. I get it. I don't disagree that it's a horrible thing, and they should not purposefully be subjected to things that set them off. However, the vast majority does not suffer from this problem, and need to put on their big kid pants and learn to dwi, to put it bluntly. If you dislike something so strongly, avoid it. If the drama on the internet is 'just too much', step away. If you don't like people voicing their opinions on your pages, disable commentary. If it is not an actual crisis, emergency, or absolute breaking point? There is no need to make it one with hysterics, finger-pointing, tears and/or rage. You have words used at you? Use words back, more creatively, more eloquently, more coherently. Without stooping, if possible, though I admit a little 'slumming' can be amusing at times. Call it the immature little shit in me.

But yeah. We did deal. And we've got absolutely nothing on our grandparent's generation. Those folks were fething hard core in their ability to dust themselves off, do what was needed, and get the fuck on with things. Again, not perfect, but we really have lost some outstanding ethics over the years. If you wonder why some older people look at some of the younger ones with disgust and just shake their head? It's likely because they cannot believe that all their hard work and sacrifice has gone to enable the sort of whining excuse-making lack of responsibility and accountability that goes on these days. I find myself doing it too, and I'm not old yet, dammit.

/rant-ramble-grumble-grr-argh

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:14 pm

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:
Herskerstad wrote:In the future, one could only wonder how the previous generation made it by just fine without said trigger warnings.

Future hell - I grew up without 99% of the asshattery that goes on today, and did just fine. In fact, I remember a rather fun, joyous even, childhood full of bumps, bruises, fights, bullies, emergency room visits, risk-taking, a lack of seat belts and child restraints, being outside all damn day long regardless of the season, and more or less running ourselves ragged with it all. And somehow, managing.

Does it work for all? No, of course not. But I'm telling you folks, that overall, we have taken huge steps backwards in enabling people in general to be accountable for themselves, take care of themselves, fend for themselves, stand up for themselves, hell - even to think for themselves. Mob mentality and the like applies to more than just riots. Dare I say social media, anyone?

No, it wasn't perfect. Yes, I'm sure we made tons of mistakes. But overall, we had to answer for ourselves. Our teachers weren't held responsible for our grades unless some unfairness was actually going on. Bullying was not actually encouraged, but we weren't so backwards about it that a kindergartener taking a bite out of his Pop-Tart and holding it like a weapon would get suspended, let alone chastised for being, more or less, a kid.

There are people who have legitimate issues that they cannot control, and can be very debilitating. I get it. I don't disagree that it's a horrible thing, and they should not purposefully be subjected to things that set them off. However, the vast majority does not suffer from this problem, and need to put on their big kid pants and learn to dwi, to put it bluntly. If you dislike something so strongly, avoid it. If the drama on the internet is 'just too much', step away. If you don't like people voicing their opinions on your pages, disable commentary. If it is not an actual crisis, emergency, or absolute breaking point? There is no need to make it one with hysterics, finger-pointing, tears and/or rage. You have words used at you? Use words back, more creatively, more eloquently, more coherently. Without stooping, if possible, though I admit a little 'slumming' can be amusing at times. Call it the immature little shit in me.

But yeah. We did deal. And we've got absolutely nothing on our grandparent's generation. Those folks were fething hard core in their ability to dust themselves off, do what was needed, and get the fuck on with things. Again, not perfect, but we really have lost some outstanding ethics over the years. If you wonder why some older people look at some of the younger ones with disgust and just shake their head? It's likely because they cannot believe that all their hard work and sacrifice has gone to enable the sort of whining excuse-making lack of responsibility and accountability that goes on these days. I find myself doing it too, and I'm not old yet, dammit.

:clap: :bow:

Well said, well said.

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:22 pm

Dulce et Decorum wrote:
Shaggai wrote:YOU DO NOT GIVE PSYCHOTHERAPY TO PEOPLE WITHOUT THEIR CONSENT.

Your point?

Oh and your caps lock is stuck

You don't use medical reasons as a justification for not warning, because if it's medical then it's psychotherapy and you do not give psychotherapy to people without their consent.
Meryuma wrote:
Tevehas wrote:"Triggers" are a real thing.

People who have been in conflicts that could cause serious mental trauma (war, genocide, famine, etc.) and those memories could be resurfaced by things such as loud noises, bright lights, or familiar situations. We've seen videos of Shellshocked soldiers from World War One. Mental trauma is a very real thing.

But if you have a food blog you shouldn't have to put warnings for people with eating disorders.

Yeah, trigger warning pictures of food is an example of something I would call really sheltering/overreaching in a negative sense.

Why? Obviously if you have a food blog you can just warn for, y'know, your entire blog, but if you're not a food blog there's no particular reason not to tag things "food" or "food cw" or whatever.
piss

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:24 pm

Skeckoa wrote:
greed and death wrote:One can not modify vigorous debate without ruining the education of others. I am sorry if you can not handle debate your destiny lies with janitorial work save the educated jobs for those of us who are not damaged.
Modify? Modify what? Literally all you need to do is put on the syllabus: "Movie contains graphic visualizations of: Sexual Assault, Rape, Domestic Abuse". "This chapter contains explicit description of: Suicide".

You don't have to change the class, it's literally a warning so that students can mentally prepare for it in order to participate to the best of their abilities as opposed to having panic attacks in class.

No, that's not "all you have to do."

Mind you, some profs are responding to the whole debacle by adding some boilerplate to their syllabi about materials covered in the class being potentially triggering, which can be used to fend off administrative crap, but that is far less than what the "trigger warning" movement is asking for. What is really being asked of professors is to make, effectively, detailed ratings board evaluations of all content covered in the course. This is actually a fairly substantial burden in courses where it is relevant.

Speaking of syllabus boilerplate, that reminds me of another distinction: If this was concerning the treatment of students who actually have problems with PTSD interfering with their study, that's really an issue for specific individual accommodations through a disability services office. Most universities offer a wide range of services to students who have one or another disability (mostly psychological difficulties, as it turns out, and ones with less clear-cut diagnostic criteria than PTSD).

Instead, on this issue, we are supposed to alter how all courses are taught, rather than add it to the list of assorted psychological problems that can be accommodated on a specific basis when necessary.

Which is another point in the long list of qualities that the "trigger warning" movement shares in common with censorship movements as opposed to anything related to the maintenance of psychological health.
Shaggai wrote:You don't use medical reasons as a justification for not warning, because if it's medical then it's psychotherapy and you do not give psychotherapy to people without their consent.

Not providing a trigger warning isn't "psychotherapy" any more than providing trigger warnings is "psychotherapy."

I pointed this out before. The "trigger warning" movement is the one saying that professors, bloggers, et cetera are responsible for the mental health of their students, readers, et cetera, and that it is their responsibility to provide a therapeutic environment.

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:06 pm

Shaggai wrote:Why? Obviously if you have a food blog you can just warn for, y'know, your entire blog, but if you're not a food blog there's no particular reason not to tag things "food" or "food cw" or whatever.

I guess. It's sort of something where if a specific person told me that they were severely upset, I would add it. But on principle I think it is one of the few cases where it doesn't necessarily positive to avoid the source of the anxiety/subject of the compulsion or discomfort altogether. People with eating disorders still eat, and still see food whenever they go to the store etc. It usually has to do with self-image and not a fear of food items themselves. Attempting to block out acknowledgment of food from one's life as much as possible seems a bit unhealthy to me. I think accommodating people with eating disorders would have more to do with warning body type shaming stuff, depictions of extremely thin people etc. I'll freely admit that I'm not an expert on the subject tho.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:09 pm

Meryuma wrote:I agree with that, but there's also value in doing small things to make others' lives more comfortable and accommodate those with needs more severe than one's own. And I've panicked in public countless times, tho not because of triggers.

There's significant value in having open discussion in courses, and covering topics that are on the "trigger warning" lists, like racism, colonialism, suicide, rape, etc. In some cases (such as courses on ethics, criminal behavior, etc) a large portion of the value of having the course in the first place consists of pushing students outside of their normal comfort zone.

In fact, pushing students outside of their current intellectual comfort zones and thereby broadening them is often touted as one of the major benefits of a liberal arts education. See, for example, here, here, and here. Since the effect of the policies pushed by the movement for trigger warnings is to censor the material that pushes normal students out of their comfort zone (on the grounds that exposure to things such as "colonialism" or "racism" in the setting of a novel will re-traumatize students with PTSD) this makes the apparent end goals of the trigger warning movement at odds with the principles of a liberal arts education.

"Trigger warning" policies aren't focused on common actual triggers, such as the sound of a gunshot. (Something very common in movies.) They're focused - and the controversial policy put up by Oberlin is a perfect case in point - on general concepts. Most of the things the Oberlin policy specifically lists are "isms" - beliefs - as if contact with systems of belief is how PTSD is generally triggered. Examples don't focus on movies or film clips, with their explicit and much more visceral sensations likely to provide unexpected triggers; but on books, whose sensory impact is substantially more limited.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:21 pm

Ifreann wrote:
Kraylandia wrote:SJWs tend to exaggerate everything, if you haven't noticed.

That sounds like an exaggeration.

And you exaggerated that, which means a bunch of people in Organic Fair Trade suits are going to snatch you and take you off to a Green Site.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Klegorth
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Klegorth » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:26 pm

Don't you remember when content warnings didn't cause such a huge testosterone fit?

Petrich Farm Remembers

Exelia
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Exelia » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:30 pm

Yeah yeah yeah it's the new generations that sucks.

OK Grandpa. Literally the same argument since Greece.

Watching a couple of internet memes about people being offended does mean you can then conclude an entire generation is fragile.
The world is de jure American.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:33 pm

Think how I feel. When I was young, I got shot at with cannons. Now we've got people that act like it's a threat to their life if someone makes a racist comment.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:36 pm

Exelia wrote:
Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:Future hell - I grew up without 99% of the asshattery that goes on today, and did just fine. In fact, I remember a rather fun, joyous even, childhood full of bumps, bruises, fights, bullies, emergency room visits, risk-taking, a lack of seat belts and child restraints, being outside all damn day long regardless of the season, and more or less running ourselves ragged with it all. And somehow, managing.

Yeah yeah yeah it's the new generations that sucks.

Watching a couple of internet memes about people being offended does mean you can then conclude an entire generation is fragile.

It's not just a few memes, you know. We are having a generation that does indeed seem to be more quick to take offense at certain subjects.

And don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a stretch to ask for certain topics to have a content warning. But this content warning should not be used as a way to shot down discussion. Nor should it be mandatory to provide these warnings if the person doesn't consider them necessary.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Exelia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Exelia » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:40 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Exelia wrote:Yeah yeah yeah it's the new generations that sucks.

It's not just a few memes, you know. We are having a generation that does indeed seem to be more quick to take offense at certain subjects.

And don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a stretch to ask for certain topics to have a content warning. But this content warning should not be used as a way to shot down discussion. Nor should it be mandatory to provide these warnings if the person doesn't consider them necessary.

Offended at what? The most I have seen are college campuses and safe spaces. That is literally it. I have never in my life been forced censor my speech because someone was offended. Nobody I know has either.

The idea millennials are somehow inferior to previous generations, is just the same egoist masturbation every generation, including the millennials, use about the new one.
Last edited by Exelia on Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Klegorth
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Klegorth » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:43 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

The fact that people aren't getting killed over internet posts, seems like it's a massive overswelling of testeria that the standard ass nerd loves to put on about.

Also no shit that certain subjects are being talked about more. They are more topical. A bear shits in the woods, now this is a controversy. Jesus Christ.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:45 pm

Exelia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Offended at what? The most I have seen are college campuses and safe spaces. That is literally it. Ii have in my life been forced censor my speech because someone was offended. Nobody I know has either.

The idea millennials are somehow inferior to previous generations, his just the same egoist masturbation every generation, including the millennials, use about the new one.

I don't consider them inferior. I do think many, not all, are rather too quick to take offense at certain subjects.

And if you want examples, check Tumblr. Or read this. I've seen people claim that reading about affirmative action triggers them.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:47 pm

Klegorth wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

The fact that people aren't getting killed over internet posts, seems like it's a massive overswelling of testeria that the standard ass nerd loves to put on about.

Also no shit that certain subjects are being talked about more. They are more topical. A bear shits in the woods, now this is a controversy. Jesus Christ.

I'm not sure what you're getting on about.
Slava Ukraini

Klegorth
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Klegorth » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:48 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I'm not sure what you're getting on about.

Me either. I thought you said something more inflammatory, so I responded with sarcasm.

It was a shit post.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:49 pm

Klegorth wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I'm not sure what you're getting on about.

Me either. I thought you said something more inflammatory, so I responded with sarcasm.

It was a shit post.

I didn't say anything inflammatory.
Slava Ukraini

Exelia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Exelia » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:50 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I don't consider them inferior. I do think many, not all, are rather too quick to take offense at certain subjects.

Really, because Nan was more or less arguing millennials was in general inferior compared to every previous generation.
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:And if you want examples, check Tumblr.

90% of Tumblr is porn. 9% is fandom. The rest is memes about "omigawd offended".
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Or read this. I've seen people claim that reading about affirmative action triggers them.

Yet again something confined to college campuses.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:51 pm

Exelia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I don't consider them inferior. I do think many, not all, are rather too quick to take offense at certain subjects.

Really, because Nan was more or less arguing millennials was in general inferior compared to every previous generation.

I didn't see that in Nathicana's post.
Slava Ukraini

Klegorth
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Klegorth » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:51 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Klegorth wrote:

It was a shit post.

I didn't say anything inflammatory.

That's the reason why it was a shit post.

The Hobbesian Metaphysician
Minister

Founded: Sep 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Hobbesian Metaphysician » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:53 pm

Exelia wrote:

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:And if you want examples, check Tumblr.

90% of Tumblr is porn. 9% is fandom. The rest is memes about "omigawd offended".
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Or read this. I've seen people claim that reading about affirmative action triggers them.

I have been to Tumblr, and can confirm the majority of it is porn, fan fiction, and porns of fan fiction. So it isn't as bad as people on YouTube make it out to be.
I am just going to lay it out here, I am going to be very blunt.

Exelia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Exelia » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:53 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Exelia wrote:Really, because Nan was more or less arguing millennials was in general inferior compared to every previous generation.

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:But yeah. We did deal. And we've got absolutely nothing on our grandparent's generation. Those folks were fething hard core in their ability to dust themselves off, do what was needed, and get the fuck on with things. Again, not perfect, but we really have lost some outstanding ethics over the years. If you wonder why some older people look at some of the younger ones with disgust and just shake their head? It's likely because they cannot believe that all their hard work and sacrifice has gone to enable the sort of whining excuse-making lack of responsibility and accountability that goes on these days. I find myself doing it too, and I'm not old yet, dammit.

It was admittedly hard to get to the actual point.

Exelia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Exelia » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:54 pm

The Hobbesian Metaphysician wrote:
Exelia wrote:Really, because Nan was more or less arguing millennials was in general inferior compared to every previous generation.

I have been to Tumblr, and can confirm the majority of it is porn, fan fiction, and porns of fan fiction. So it isn't as bad as people on YouTube make it out to be.

Yeah, the 1% of super offended feminists are probably not even real accounts at this point. 4chan is notorious for astroturfing.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:56 pm

The Hobbesian Metaphysician wrote:

You'd think if Tumblr was a bastion of right-thinking that everyone frothes about there wouldn't even be so much as a single porn site, much less 90%.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:58 pm

Exelia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:But yeah. We did deal. And we've got absolutely nothing on our grandparent's generation. Those folks were fething hard core in their ability to dust themselves off, do what was needed, and get the fuck on with things. Again, not perfect, but we really have lost some outstanding ethics over the years. If you wonder why some older people look at some of the younger ones with disgust and just shake their head? It's likely because they cannot believe that all their hard work and sacrifice has gone to enable the sort of whining excuse-making lack of responsibility and accountability that goes on these days. I find myself doing it too, and I'm not old yet, dammit.

It was admittedly hard to get to the actual point.

There is some truth there, though. But it isn't fair to say it is only millennials. There's people of my generation (I was born in the 80s) who also try not to be held accountable for the mistakes they make. Who make excuses and whine. I think this is more a symptom of our society as it is today, than it is of particular generations.
Slava Ukraini

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General