NATION

PASSWORD

Chicago Officer Charged With First Degree Murder

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:39 pm

Murder 1 is a charge that has a really uptight and stringent requirement of proof to convict on. So either they somehow got proof that wasn't destroyed, or they're pitching the case like the Black Sox to get the cop off on a technicality.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:45 pm

Gauthier wrote:Murder 1 is a charge that has a really uptight and stringent requirement of proof to convict on. So either they somehow got proof that wasn't destroyed, or they're pitching the case like the Black Sox to get the cop off on a technicality.

The actions of the police officer combined with Illinois' definition of First Degree Murder makes it seem like it's a rather apt charge.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:50 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Gauthier wrote:Murder 1 is a charge that has a really uptight and stringent requirement of proof to convict on. So either they somehow got proof that wasn't destroyed, or they're pitching the case like the Black Sox to get the cop off on a technicality.

The actions of the police officer combined with Illinois' definition of First Degree Murder makes it seem like it's a rather apt charge.

Apparently it might depend on which bullet killed the guy.
It could be attempted murder if it's one of the initial shots that killed him, since those were arguably legitimate rounds fired, but the illegitimate use of lethal force that follows them is an illegal attempt to murder somebody.
That it didn't work because the suspect died of legally inflicted wounds is irrelevant if that is the case.

If it wasn't the legitimately fired rounds that killed him, but the illegitimate ones, it is a murder.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

New Grestin
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Grestin » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:51 pm

I feel like I should just have a little "ding" sound effect for every time the authorities show themselves to be untrustworthy.

The only problem is that I wouldn't be able to sleep with all the dinging.
Let’s not dwell on our corpse strewn past. Let’s celebrate our corpse strewn future!
Head Bartender for The Pub | The Para-Verse | Writing Advice from a Pretentious Jerk | I write stuff | Arbitrary Political Numbers
Kentucky Fried Land wrote:I should have known Grestin was Christopher Walken the whole time.
ThePub wrote:New Grestin: "I will always choose the aborable lesbians over an entire town."
Imperial Idaho wrote:And with 1-2 sentences Grestin has declared war on the national pride of Canada.
- Best Worldbuilding - 2016 (Community Choice)
- Best Horror/Thriller RP for THE ZONE - 2016 (Community Choice)

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:34 pm

New Grestin wrote:I feel like I should just have a little "ding" sound effect for every time the authorities show themselves to be untrustworthy.

I'm thinking something like this on infinite loop.

Renewed Dissonance
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Renewed Dissonance » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:15 am

EDIT: (TL;DR what Yumyumsuppertime said on the previous page)

Wallenburg wrote:As to the murder, I'm confused as to how it could be first degree. That requires premeditation. This seems far more like second degree murder.

It depends on the legal definition of the specific jurisdiction. In Illinois:

720 ILCS 5 wrote:A person who kills an individual without lawful justification commits first degree murder if, in performing the acts which cause the death:

(1) he either intends to kill or do great bodily harm to that individual or another, or knows that such acts will cause death to that individual or another; or

(2) he knows that such acts create a strong probability of death or great bodily harm to that individual or another; or

(3) he is attempting or committing a forcible felony other than second degree murder.

(http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/il ... d=11500000)

Note that, under this definition, "premeditation" can take place in mere seconds (assuming "premeditation" is even required under Illinois law; I haven't read the entire law I quote above)

I am not a lawyer, but I would assume that the prosecution will argue that the point where the officer advances on the already fallen suspect ("the defendant takes at least one more step towards him") and continues firing as the point where the first degree murder takes place. The prosecution will likely argue that once Laquan fell to the ground injured, the threat to the officer was less than enough to justify continued lethal force. But, the officer, with intent to inflict death and/or great bodily harm, with, we can reasonably assume, the knowledge that his actions would create a strong possibility of doing so, continued to fire.

Thus, murder in the first degree under the law of the State of Illinois.
Last edited by Renewed Dissonance on Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
"But, as Deepak Chopra taught us, quantum physics means anything can happen at any time for no reason. Also, eat plenty of oatmeal and animals never had a war. Who's the real animals?"
-- Hubert J. Farnsworth

Renewed Dissonance
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Renewed Dissonance » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:23 am

Napkiraly wrote:Murder does not imply premeditation, only first degree murder does. Which is why I'm wondering why they're charging the guy with first degree murder, as they'll have to prove that it was all premeditated.

No, the prosecution only has to demonstrate how the officer's action constitute first degree murder as defined under Illinois state law. They have an excellent case (see my post immediately above).

Under Illinois state law, sitting down and making a long complicated plan is an aggrivating factor, but does not appear to be a requirement for first degree murder.
Last edited by Renewed Dissonance on Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But, as Deepak Chopra taught us, quantum physics means anything can happen at any time for no reason. Also, eat plenty of oatmeal and animals never had a war. Who's the real animals?"
-- Hubert J. Farnsworth

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:26 am

Renewed Dissonance wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Murder does not imply premeditation, only first degree murder does. Which is why I'm wondering why they're charging the guy with first degree murder, as they'll have to prove that it was all premeditated.

No, the prosecution only has to demonstrate how the officer's action constitute first degree murder as defined under Illinois state law. They have an excellent case (see my post immediately above).

Under Illinois state law, sitting down and making a long complicated plan is an aggrivating factor, but does not appear to be a requirement for first degree murder.

Yes, I and others went through all of that in the past few pages.

Renewed Dissonance
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Renewed Dissonance » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:31 am

Napkiraly wrote:Yes, I and others went through all of that in the past few pages.

Yeah, I know. My first post has been suitably amended. :)

Repeating for repetition, making sure it sticks, doesn't hurt to verify, etc. The fact that there's at least 50 definitions of "first degree murder" in the United States doesn't seem to be a well known one, so...
Last edited by Renewed Dissonance on Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Hubert J. Farnsworth

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:22 am

New Babylonia wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:
The statue says nothing about imment harm. Firing till empty cwn be considered part of fight or flight. The OP article said he was reloading until he was told not to. If he reloaded and fired it would be an easier case.

It's funny that you think the law cares about natural biological reactions like Fight or Flight. I can tell you from experience, Judge, Lawyer, DA, the law does not give a shit if you suddenly had a shitton of adrenaline released in you and blacked out.

Sure, juries aren't the 'law' stated above. But, you can rest assured that the prosecutor will likely point out that Fight or Flight response isn't relevant as far as laws are concerned, and you can safely bet that jurors, who have a barely working knowledge of the law they're deciding on, are likely to listen to him.

Should the defense try to counter this, well, it won't help. Because the kid was walking away. The officer was in no danger what so ever. There was no reason for his body to trigger that response. Angry that some kid was ignoring him and walking away, a threat to no one while doing so? Sure. A reason for him to get pumped on adrenaline and lose control? Hardly justifiable. Even if you assume that is the case, then clearly this man should NOT be an officer, or having anysort of weapon at all. If someone merely walking away from him is enough to lose him control of his body, he should not be a cop, or a gunowner, or owner of any weapon, because he is legitimately dangerous and too volatile to be trusted with one.

It's fucking hilarious that you don't think state of mind of the assailant doesn't go into the determination of a murder charge.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Trumpostan
Minister

Founded: Sep 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Trumpostan » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:06 pm

The coverup is standard MO for many PD's, I'm afraid. Cover for the bad cop at any price. Prosecutors go along because they need the friendly cooperation of the PD in many (future) cases. And this is exactly what BLM is all about. Systematic abuse that disproportionately targets black people. And they have the nerve to demand we all support our police force no matter what. Well guess what, I don't. Respect and support must be earned, and is not an automatic. Same with this whole 'support the troops' business. If I don't support the mission, why should I support the troops?
I do not support Donald J. Trump
Inverted Flag Law: US Code Title 4 Section 8 Paragraph (a): The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
The United States of America has been in a state of dire distress since November 8, 2016. Flying the flag upside down is not only our right, it is our duty!
Make Maine Massachusetts again!

Yedmnrutika Gavr
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Yedmnrutika Gavr » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:17 pm

i read somewhere that this officer had 18 civilian complaints O.o that is crazy that he was still allowed to work. this could be prevented if he were fired and found unfit to perform this duty for the public. but instead crony attitudes are pervasive in police states and they just cover it up and move on cause after all like you hear them say sometimes 'he was one of our own' :roll:

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:47 pm

Trumpostan wrote:The coverup is standard MO for many PD's, I'm afraid. Cover for the bad cop at any price. Prosecutors go along because they need the friendly cooperation of the PD in many (future) cases. And this is exactly what BLM is all about. Systematic abuse that disproportionately targets black people. And they have the nerve to demand we all support our police force no matter what. Well guess what, I don't. Respect and support must be earned, and is not an automatic. Same with this whole 'support the troops' business. If I don't support the mission, why should I support the troops?

There's not supporting the mission, and then there's supporting the troops who have to do it anyways. Unless spitting on draftees coming home from Vietnam sounded like a great idea.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:32 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Trumpostan wrote:The coverup is standard MO for many PD's, I'm afraid. Cover for the bad cop at any price. Prosecutors go along because they need the friendly cooperation of the PD in many (future) cases. And this is exactly what BLM is all about. Systematic abuse that disproportionately targets black people. And they have the nerve to demand we all support our police force no matter what. Well guess what, I don't. Respect and support must be earned, and is not an automatic. Same with this whole 'support the troops' business. If I don't support the mission, why should I support the troops?

There's not supporting the mission, and then there's supporting the troops who have to do it anyways. Unless spitting on draftees coming home from Vietnam sounded like a great idea.

"Support" generally implies more than just not spitting on people.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:49 am

Gauthier wrote:

Taking a page from Bob McCullough's playbook, deliberately throwing a case to get one of their own off the hook. By charging the asshole with Murder 1, they're guaranteeing that sufficient standards will not be met (with coverups, leaks and destruction of evidence if needs be) and so a jury will fail to convict.

Standard playbook for "prosecutors" these days. They work so closely with the cops that they don't dare antagonize them, so they become part of the thin blue line. Despite it famously being possible to indict a ham sandwich in America should the prosecutor want to, fewer than 2% of police-authored homicides end with an indictment.

In large part, this is because the traditional adversarial system - prosecution vs. defense - breaks down when the prosecutor is someone who may later have to work with the defendant - and will have to work with the defendant's buddies and colleagues on a daily basis, however the trial turns out. The de facto result is that the (dead) victim ends up on trial and the cop has two lawyers working to have them not indicted: their own and the prosecutor.
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:54 am

Gauthier wrote:

Actually, the whole "Spitting on Vietnam veterans" thing is a myth. Not one documented instance of it has ever been found, akin to the "stab in the back" myth that persisted after World War I in Germany.

Per NYU's review of The Spitting Image, the 1998 attempt by Jerry Lembcke to find any evidence that it had ever happened:

In this startling book, Jerry Lembcke demonstrates that not a single incident of this sort has been convincingly documented. Rather, the anti-war Left saw in veterans a natural ally, and the relationship between anti-war forces and most veterans was defined by mutual support. Indeed one soldier wrote angrily to Vice President Spiro Agnew that the only Americans who seemed concerned about the soldier's welfare were the anti-war activists.
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

Shan Yue
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Shan Yue » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:44 am

New Grestin wrote:I feel like I should just have a little "ding" sound effect for every time the authorities show themselves to be untrustworthy.

You could turn off the tv, get away from singular one dimensional perspectives for a while, and gain back some perspective.
Or overlay another tone that signals for the peace officers who conduct their job without violating public trust. You certainly wouldnt sleep then.
Meanwhile, this particular officer should burn. It is simple training to learn how to disarm and subdue someone armed with a melee weapon without lethal force. I could understand a civilian unloading a gun on a knife wielding assailant out of fear and panick, but police officers should be at least a degree better comported than that.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland, and a natural deficiency in moral fiber, and that I am therefore excused from saving universes." - Ford Prefect

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:32 am

Galloism wrote:You know, I've said it like five million times.

Everyone hates it when the law is broken, this is true, but they get fucking furious at the cover up. If the police had done a thorough investigation and followed all the rules and procedures, there would not be demonstrators in the streets now. Because business was taken care of.

But they tried to cover it up. So here we are.

Having been in Chicago when #BLM did their "glorious" protest on Black Friday, I'm still trying to figure out something. How does blocking the entry way to an Apple and Disney store (both of which had nothing to do with the '16 shots and the coverup' by city hall) solve anything? How does screaming "16 shots and a coverup" at a bunch of tourists accomplish anything?

I get the frustration. The anger. I even get the protest. I wasn't sure how the blocking the entrance of stores fixed anything except make them seem like a nuisance. Fuck they were screaming that shit at some kid who was trying to get in the Disney store and she started crying. Nice day after Thanksgiving eh?

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:39 am

Mike the Progressive wrote:

Everyone hates it when the law is broken, this is true, but they get fucking furious at the cover up. If the police had done a thorough investigation and followed all the rules and procedures, there would not be demonstrators in the streets now. Because business was taken care of.

Having been in Chicago when #BLM did their "glorious" protest on Black Friday, I'm still trying to figure out something. How does blocking the entry way to an Apple and Disney store (both of which had nothing to do with the '16 shots and the coverup' by city hall) solve anything? How does screaming "16 shots and a coverup" at a bunch of tourists accomplish anything?

I get the frustration. The anger. I even get the protest. I wasn't sure how the blocking the entrance of stores fixed anything except make them seem like a nuisance. Fuck they were screaming that shit at some kid who was trying to get in the Disney store and she started crying. Nice day after Thanksgiving eh?

I believe inconvenience is the goal, they want to do what they can to draw any attention to their movement.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:48 am

To be fair, they kind of helped the people at the Apple store. Now they had a reason to purchase superior products like the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge from Samsung™.

I was in no way paid to make this post.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Iwassoclose
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Iwassoclose » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:05 am

I am more concerned about the cover up.

Find out who was on duty that night, and those who were responsible for picking up the video.

Each officer if I am to believe has to write a reflective journal at the end of their shift.

I hope the FBI or IA is already investigating this.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:25 am

They wanted to inconvenience people, specifically they wanted to inconvenience rich people.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:33 am

The Emerald Dawn wrote:

I believe inconvenience is the goal, they want to do what they can to draw any attention to their movement.

Because the average person on the street tends to not give a shit about something that's not up in their faces.

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:34 am

Iwassoclose wrote:I am more concerned about the cover up.

Find out who was on duty that night, and those who were responsible for picking up the video.

Each officer if I am to believe has to write a reflective journal at the end of their shift.

IA?
“There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind.
The second way is to be kind.
The third way is to be kind.”
― Fred Rogers
Currently looking for an artist for a Star Wars fan comic I want to make.

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:37 am

Zeinbrad wrote:
Iwassoclose wrote:I am more concerned about the cover up.

IA?

Internal Affairs.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General