NATION

PASSWORD

Legalize it All?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should we legalize drugs?

Yes, legalize them all.
25%
Just decriminalize them.
18%
Only some, not all.
34%
No.
22%

Total votes : 362

Gim
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:13 pm

Talvezout wrote:
Valystria wrote:Sure, none of us are arguing for that.

It's the same basic etiquette as not drinking in public.

I see no issue with allowing drug users to smoke drugs in the already existing designated smoking areas.

Agreed.

Yes, I do, too. I have no concern or animosity with that.
All You Need to Know about Gim
Male, 17, Protestant Christian, British

Lydenburg
Senator

Founded: May 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:12 am

The notion that legalising stuff like dagga would cut down on its use or drive the criminal elements that thrive on smuggling it out of business is kak.

The theory that "soft drugs" in no way harms the user is kak. Different drugs affect people in different ways. No one individual's body chemistry is 100% the same. If you lose the proverbial luck of the draw say hello to bad trips.

Every time I hear this tired old argument of universal legalisation - usually espoused by serious recreational drug users themselves, like our OP - I am reminded that some suburbanites living in quiet cookie cutter houses in the West happily toke up a few times a day and harm nobody. But not everybody is so responsible. Child soldiers, Congolese cannibal cults, and xenophobic mobs elsewhere all self-administer liberal quantities of "hard drugs" before going on murderous rampages. It's even considered a tradition of indigenous warfare in many parts of Africa, as it removes inhibition towards committing the vilest atrocities.

No, legalising everything is not the answer.

Ek bly in Australie nou, maar Afrika sal altyd in my hart wees. Maak nie saak wat gebeur nie, ek is trots om te kan sê ek is 'n kind van hierdie ingewikkelde soms wrede kontinent. Mis jou altyd my Suid-Afrika, hier met n seer hart al die pad van Melbourne af!

Valystria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Valystria » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:23 am

Lydenburg wrote:The notion that legalising stuff like dagga would cut down on its use or drive the criminal elements that thrive on smuggling it out of business is kak.

The theory that "soft drugs" in no way harms the user is kak. Different drugs affect people in different ways. No one individual's body chemistry is 100% the same. If you lose the proverbial luck of the draw say hello to bad trips.

Every time I hear this tired old argument of universal legalisation - usually espoused by serious recreational drug users themselves, like our OP - I am reminded that some suburbanites living in quiet cookie cutter houses in the West happily toke up a few times a day and harm nobody. But not everybody is so responsible. Child soldiers, Congolese cannibal cults, and xenophobic mobs elsewhere all self-administer liberal quantities of "hard drugs" before going on murderous rampages. It's even considered a tradition of indigenous warfare in many parts of Africa, as it removes inhibition towards committing the vilest atrocities.

Yes it is.

In case you haven't noticed, prohibition hasn't stopped drug use. It's only increased it and brought a multitude of other problems that exist only because of prohibition.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:25 am

Lydenburg wrote:The notion that legalising stuff like dagga would cut down on its use or drive the criminal elements that thrive on smuggling it out of business is kak.

I'm not sure the problem with child soldiers, cannibal cults, and mob justice is the drugs they are using.
I think they may just be using drugs because it's their hobby, whereas being a scourge on humanity is their job.

You may as well be ranting about how we'll have hordes of musicians, pizza delivery boys, and politicians if we legalize drugs.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:45 am

Lydenburg wrote:No, legalising everything is not the answer.

Yes, it is.

Also, bad trips are easily avoided by 1) not taking psychedelics if you have any mental issues (even something like anxiety), and 2) being in a good state of mind. Even if you end up having one, oh well. It's not gonna hurt you. It can be pretty scary, but you'll come out fine.
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Lydenburg
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:01 am

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:

Yes, it is.

Also, bad trips are easily avoided by 1) not taking psychedelics if you have any mental issues (even something like anxiety), and 2) being in a good state of mind. Even if you end up having one, oh well. It's not gonna hurt you. It can be pretty scary, but you'll come out fine.

I've seen people react to the same substance in morbidly different ways. Surely you've seen it too. You know what I'm talking about right?

Lekker. Now, I'm trying to reconcile this with the fact that you just told me that the bad trip was the user's fault. Because apparently he wasn't mentally stable enough to be ingesting.

I blame the drug, you blame the person.

Ek bly in Australie nou, maar Afrika sal altyd in my hart wees. Maak nie saak wat gebeur nie, ek is trots om te kan sê ek is 'n kind van hierdie ingewikkelde soms wrede kontinent. Mis jou altyd my Suid-Afrika, hier met n seer hart al die pad van Melbourne af!

Valystria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Valystria » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:07 am

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:

Yes, it is.

Having a sitter is an option too.

About not taking psychedelics if having (unmedicated) mental health issues, that goes for drug use in general.

Lydenburg wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Yes, it is.

I've seen people react to the same substance in morbidly different ways. Surely you've seen it too. You know what I'm talking about right?

Lekker. Now, I'm trying to reconcile this with the fact that you just told me that the bad trip was the user's fault. Because apparently he wasn't mentally stable enough to be ingesting.

And... people with such issues shouldn't be partaking in drug use. The drug isn't at fault. Irresponsible usage is.

Lydenburg
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:15 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:

I'm not sure the problem with child soldiers, cannibal cults, and mob justice is the drugs they are using.
I think they may just be using drugs because it's their hobby, whereas being a scourge on humanity is their job.

You may as well be ranting about how we'll have hordes of musicians, pizza delivery boys, and politicians if we legalize drugs.

It's not a hobby. It's tradition that predates colonial times.

In Southern Africa, Zulu impis were expected to toke before battle. It supposedly turned them into fearless warriors that would keep attacking without fear, even if slaughtered in mass numbers by superior fighters or modern weapons like the Maxim gun. The Matabele in Zimbabwe took this a step further by smearing their bodies with some kind of crushed marijuana, which Zimbabwean historians Michael Raeburn and Lawrence Vambe tell us evoked a fear response in their opponents due to the unnatural sensations.

In the Congo, the dope was marketed by some clever witch doctors as possessing magical quantities that would protect the users from bullets. When an inexperienced user ingested a great deal of it, he believed himself invincible. In his book Congo Mercenary Mike Hoare said they were incapable of being reasoned with or persuaded to surrender while on dagga.

Wars and uprisings in this region are invariably linked to the use of various drugs as a pre-battle ritual considered almost sacred. On battlefields and in mobs people don't toke up for fun.

Valystria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Valystria » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:23 am

Lydenburg wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

It's not a hobby. It's tradition that predates colonial times.

In Southern Africa, Zulu impis were expected to toke before battle. It supposedly turned them into fearless warriors that would keep attacking without fear, even if slaughtered in mass numbers by superior fighters or modern weapons like the Maxim gun. The Matabele in Zimbabwe took this a step further by smearing their bodies with some kind of crushed marijuana, which Zimbabwean historians Michael Raeburn and Lawrence Vambe tell us evoked a fear response in their opponents due to the unnatural sensations.

In the Congo, the dope was marketed by some clever witch doctors as possessing magical quantities that would protect the users from bullets. When an inexperienced user ingested a great deal of it, he believed himself invincible. In his book Congo Mercenary Mike Hoare said they were incapable of being reasoned with or persuaded to surrender while on dagga.

Wars and uprisings in this region are invariably linked to the use of various drugs as a pre-battle ritual considered almost sacred. On battlefields and in mobs people don't toke up for fun.

And these are bad people who happen to use drugs while doing bad things.

They're going to behave unethically even without the drugs. They were unethical before it and will remain so without. By your own description, these groups merely integrated drug use into their violent customs.

Do some people use drugs for messed up reasons? Sure. Most of us don't. Unethical behaviours are what should be criminalized, not drug use.

Greater North American Union
Envoy

Founded: Nov 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater North American Union » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:23 am

Well we're not worried about stuff like that in the West.

Lydenburg wrote:The theory that "soft drugs" in no way harms the user is kak. Different drugs affect people in different ways. No one individual's body chemistry is 100% the same. If you lose the proverbial luck of the draw say hello to bad trips.

A bad trip, presuming you're discussing LSD or Psilocybin, has killed literally nobody. It's unpleasant, but it's not dangerous medically speaking.

Lydenburg wrote:Every time I hear this tired old argument of universal legalisation - usually espoused by serious recreational drug users themselves, like our OP

I'd rather drug users made our laws than people who don't know what they're talking about.

Lydenburg wrote:I am reminded that some suburbanites living in quiet cookie cutter houses in the West happily toke up a few times a day and harm nobody. But not everybody is so responsible. Child soldiers, Congolese cannibal cults, and xenophobic mobs elsewhere all self-administer liberal quantities of "hard drugs" before going on murderous rampages. It's even considered a tradition of indigenous warfare in many parts of Africa, as it removes inhibition towards committing the vilest atrocities.

Great, but those issues don't affect the US or most of the civilized world in general, and the drugs are a symptom, not the cause. The cause being that people in those parts of Africa and South America are mostly uneducated, superstitious tribals who are easily manipulated and abused by warlords. That's a problem with unstable, impotent government and general 3rd world backwardness.
National Information
Nation Name(s): "The American Union", "The Union", "The Union of American States" (UAS) | Govt. Type: Constitutional Federal Republic | Denonym: American/Americans
This Nation is based on an idealized and tongue-in-cheek version of Theodore Roosevelt-style American Progressivism and Imperialism, and may not accurately represent the poster's views
"Judge a man not by the color of his skin, but by the content of his character" - -Rev. Martin Luther King Jr
"We can have no "50/50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all"--President Theodore Roosevelt
LvL 30 Weeaboo and Ammosexual
>tfw your raifu will never be real

Lydenburg
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:25 am

Valystria wrote:
Lydenburg wrote:

And... people with such issues shouldn't be partaking in drug use. The drug isn't at fault. Irresponsible usage is.

I want to make absolutely certain I'm understanding you here:

if somebody has a bad trip, it's always their own fault.

Valystria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Valystria » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:42 am

Greater North American Union wrote:
Lydenburg wrote:Every time I hear this tired old argument of universal legalisation - usually espoused by serious recreational drug users themselves, like our OP

I'd rather drug users made our laws than people who don't know what they're talking about.

That would make a lot of sense yes. It would be a significant improvement to have open drug users making laws.

Lydenburg wrote:
Valystria wrote:And... people with such issues shouldn't be partaking in drug use. The drug isn't at fault. Irresponsible usage is.

I want to make absolutely certain I'm understanding you here:

if somebody has a bad trip, it's always their own fault.

Not always, no.

Sometimes someone may take a psychedelic at the suggestion of an acquaintance. It may turn out to be an unwise suggestion.

But generally there are various steps one can take to reduce the likeliness of a session going badly. Even if someone follows every procedure, they may well end up having a bad trip anyway but that's fine if no harm comes of it.

Psychedelic use isn't for everyone, especially not people with mental health issues. For the sake of simplicity, if someone has a terrible experience from psychedelic use it can be assumed that it was from irresponsible usage on their end. It's generally for reasons such as that they had mental health issues meaning they shouldn't have been using, dosing beyond their comfort zone, not having a sitter with them, having a session while going through emotional difficulties, or taking other drugs at the same time.

So, for the most part, yes, we can say it's usually someone's own fault if it goes badly.

Korhal IVV
Senator

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Korhal IVV » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:03 am

If your girlfriend left you, don't waste money on drugs. Move on and find another better girl.
ABTH Music Education ~ AB Journalism ~ RPer ~ Keyboard Warrior ~ Futurist ~ INTJ

Economic Left/Right: -0.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21
Supports: Christianity, economic development, democracy, common sense, vaccines, space colonization, and health programs
Against: Adding 100 genders, Gay marriage in a church, heresy, Nazism, abortion for no good reason, anti-vaxxers, SJW liberals, and indecency
This nation does reflect my real-life beliefs.
My vocabulary is stranger than a Tzeentchian sorceror. Bare with me.

"Whatever a person may be like, we must still love them because we love God." ~ John Calvin

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:35 am

Korhal IVV wrote:If your girlfriend left you, don't waste money on drugs. Move on and find another better girl.

...what the fuck are you talking about?
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:39 am

Korhal IVV wrote:If your girlfriend left you, don't waste money on drugs. Move on and find another better girl.

If your girlfriend left you, car bomb the bitch. *nods*

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:

...what the fuck are you talking about?

I'm assuming he's trying to dissuade people from doing drugs, it's a pretty piss-poor job though.
Hellenic Polytheist, Socialist

Korhal IVV
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Korhal IVV » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:41 am

Washington Resistance Army wrote:

Murderer

*Edit- Look at this picture lol

http://imgur.com/ksJSK3Z

666 posts on this thread >_<
Last edited by Korhal IVV on Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
ABTH Music Education ~ AB Journalism ~ RPer ~ Keyboard Warrior ~ Futurist ~ INTJ

Supports: Christianity, economic development, democracy, common sense, vaccines, space colonization, and health programs
Against: Adding 100 genders, Gay marriage in a church, heresy, Nazism, abortion for no good reason, anti-vaxxers, SJW liberals, and indecency

"Whatever a person may be like, we must still love them because we love God." ~ John Calvin

Alvecia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alvecia » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:47 am

For those against legalisation/decriminalisation, would it not be logically consistent to then place alcohol under the same restrictions as all other drugs?
By which I mean, assign it a class and treat it accordingly.

Alvecia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Democratic Socialists

Postby Alvecia » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:48 am

Korhal IVV wrote:
Washington Resistance Army wrote:

Murderer

Nothing incriminating in this particular pic, but in future I'd advise against posting screenshots that show your tabs bar ;)

Korhal IVV
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Korhal IVV » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:49 am

Alvecia wrote:For those against legalisation/decriminalisation, would it not be logically consistent to then place alcohol under the same restrictions as all other drugs?

Alcohol might be allowed for cultural things... But not for when you are... Devastated. It doesn't really help...

Uxupox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:51 am

Yea I'm all for that too as it classified by the NIH as a drug intoxicating substance (Not talking about the chemical compound OH please). If drinking pure alcohol substances develops into a trend it can lead to alcoholism which will fuck up your ability to work, your interpersonal relationships and obviously your health specifically your liver.
Economic Left/Right: 0.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.00

Alvecia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Democratic Socialists

Postby Alvecia » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:54 am

Korhal IVV wrote:
Alvecia wrote:For those against legalisation/decriminalisation, would it not be logically consistent to then place alcohol under the same restrictions as all other drugs?

Alcohol might be allowed for cultural things... But not for when you are... Devastated. It doesn't really help...

You mean like communion ;) perhaps switch to Ribena.

Korhal IVV
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Korhal IVV » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:02 am

Alvecia wrote:
Korhal IVV wrote:Alcohol might be allowed for cultural things... But not for when you are... Devastated. It doesn't really help...

You mean like communion ;) perhaps switch to Ribena.

Yes

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:06 am

Korhal IVV wrote:

So you'd allow, say, Rastafarians to partake in their sacred herb?

Also, why do you think you are such a good, perfect parental figure that can decide when you are and are not allowed psychoactive substances?

Lydenburg
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:15 am

Alvecia wrote:
Korhal IVV wrote:Murderer

Nothing incriminating in this particular pic, but in future I'd advise against posting screenshots that show your tabs bar ;)

+1.

Aye you don't want to end up like that (in)famous oke who accidentally posted all his own porn tabs on NSG. The one with a French and plaid fetish.

Korhal IVV
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Korhal IVV » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:16 am

Lydenburg wrote:
Alvecia wrote:Nothing incriminating in this particular pic, but in future I'd advise against posting screenshots that show your tabs bar ;)

+1.

Aye you don't want to end up like that (in)famous oke who accidentally posted all his own porn tabs on NSG. The one with a French and plaid fetish.

Lel

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General