NATION

PASSWORD

Legalize it All?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should we legalize drugs?

Yes, legalize them all.
25%
Just decriminalize them.
18%
Only some, not all.
34%
No.
22%

Total votes : 362

Gim
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:04 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Gim wrote:
Well, legalizing it would allow more people to take drugs. Keeping it illegal will not prevent the use of drugs, but, at least, that will mitigate it.

The data shows otherwise.

What data? :)
All You Need to Know about Gim
Male, 17, Protestant Christian, British

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:04 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Gim wrote:
Well, legalizing it would allow more people to take drugs. Keeping it illegal will not prevent the use of drugs, but, at least, that will mitigate it.

The data shows otherwise.

Yeah, he's been shown that a number of times. Doesn't seem to really care about those pesky facts.
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:08 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Genivaria wrote:The data shows otherwise.

Yeah, he's been shown that a number of times. Doesn't seem to really care about those pesky facts.

Gim wrote:

I see your point.

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:10 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Yeah, he's been shown that a number of times. Doesn't seem to really care about those pesky facts.

Oh, you mean, the data without any explanation whatsoever from Britain?

Well, the following shows some hard drugs are as harmful as alcohol.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_harm ... nkings.png

Imagine if those hard drugs were actually legalized. Personal harm and social harm score will skyrocket.

Italios
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Italios » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:12 pm

Gim wrote:

These ones.
Issue Author #1461: No Shirt, No Shoes, No ID, No Service.

The Tungsten Horde (Ancient)
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tungsten Horde (Ancient) » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:13 pm

Gim wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Yeah, he's been shown that a number of times. Doesn't seem to really care about those pesky facts.

Oh, you mean, the data without any explanation whatsoever from Britain?

Well, the following shows some hard drugs are as harmful as alcohol.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_harm ... nkings.png

Imagine if those hard drugs were actually legalized. Personal harm and social harm score will skyrocket.

Is you argument really that some illegal things are as harmful as a legal thing, so they should stay illegal?

Look mate, if methamphetamine were legal tomorrow, would you go out and buy some? No? So why would personal harm skyrocket?

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:14 pm

Italios wrote:
Gim wrote:

These ones.

Sadly, I do not like to admit, but drug legalization can bring in more profit, not to mention the boost in tourism my area will get, once the drugs are legalized. Washington and Colorado have many potential tourists.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 pm

Gim wrote:

Sadly, I do not like to admit, but drug legalization can bring in more profit, not to mention the boost in tourism my area will get, once the drugs are legalized. Washington and Colorado have many potential tourists.

Yes as has been shown by many sources legalizing, regulating, and taxing narcotics is the wisest solution to the drug issue.

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:22 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Gim wrote:

Yes as has been shown by many sources legalizing, regulating, and taxing narcotics is the wisest solution to the drug issue.

Just don't bring it to my face, and everything is fine, I guess. I can't force drug-takers to not take drugs. *shrugs*

Italios
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Italios » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:24 pm

Gim wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Yes as has been shown by many sources legalizing, regulating, and taxing narcotics is the wisest solution to the drug issue.

Just don't bring it to my face, and everything is fine, I guess. I can't force drug-takers to not take drugs. *shrugs*

Why is this any different than being pro-choice? They are choosing to do drugs; it's their decision and nobody else's what they do to their bodies, regardless of whether it is bad or good. If you are pro-choice, then being against legalising drugs.... Is kind of stupid, to be honest.

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:27 pm

Italios wrote:
Gim wrote:

Why is this any different than being pro-choice? They are choosing to do drugs; it's their decision and nobody else's what they do to their bodies, regardless of whether it is bad or good. If you are pro-choice, then being against legalising drugs.... Is kind of stupid, to be honest.

Well, with all due respect, there is the choice factor, which I cannot oppose.
Even if you have abortion, your body will not have chronic or long-term damages, whereas, drugs tend to do that, so I was just concerned about the health of drug-takers.
However, what you're saying does not seem to be senseless at all. I can understand. :)

Italios
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Italios » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:28 pm

Gim wrote:
Italios wrote:Why is this any different than being pro-choice? They are choosing to do drugs; it's their decision and nobody else's what they do to their bodies, regardless of whether it is bad or good. If you are pro-choice, then being against legalising drugs.... Is kind of stupid, to be honest.

Even if you have abortion, your body will not have chronic or long-term damages, whereas, drugs tend to do that, so I was just concerned about the health of drug-takers.
However, what you're saying does not seem to be senseless at all. I can understand. :)

Not your job or place to worry about them, unless you're their doctor. As long as they do no harm to you, who cares?

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:28 pm

Gim wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Yes as has been shown by many sources legalizing, regulating, and taxing narcotics is the wisest solution to the drug issue.

I'm not bringing anything anywhere, I'm not even a smoker.
It's a disgusting habit.

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:30 pm

Italios wrote:
Gim wrote:

Not your job or place to worry about them, unless you're their doctor. As long as they do no harm to you, who cares?

You're right. Maybe legalization is not that bad at all. However, I'd support strict regulation, since I would not want second-hand exposure to drugs.

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:31 pm

Gim wrote:
Italios wrote:Not your job or place to worry about them, unless you're their doctor. As long as they do no harm to you, who cares?

You're right. Maybe legalization is not that bad at all. However, I'd support strict regulation, since I would not want second-hand exposure to drugs.

I know when I do heroin I make sure to throw a few handfuls at people in the street just for the shits and giggles.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Italios
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Italios » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:32 pm

Gim wrote:
Italios wrote:Not your job or place to worry about them, unless you're their doctor. As long as they do no harm to you, who cares?

Neither would anyone who doesn't do them, and rightly so. Like smoking, there should be regulations as to where you do it. But you can never stop them from doing it, because you ain't them.

The Tungsten Horde (Ancient)
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tungsten Horde (Ancient) » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:33 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Gim wrote:You're right. Maybe legalization is not that bad at all. However, I'd support strict regulation, since I would not want second-hand exposure to drugs.

I know when I do heroin I make sure to throw a few handfuls at people in the street just for the shits and giggles.

There goes my villainous plan to pump LSD into the water supply.

Italios
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Italios » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:35 pm

The Tungsten Horde wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:I know when I do heroin I make sure to throw a few handfuls at people in the street just for the shits and giggles.

Daaaaad, the squid on the side of my Evian water bottle is talking!

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:37 pm

The Tungsten Horde wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:I know when I do heroin I make sure to throw a few handfuls at people in the street just for the shits and giggles.

Personally, I think replacing all Portabello and shiitake mushrooms with psilocybe cubensis is a good idea.

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:37 pm

Italios wrote:
The Tungsten Horde wrote:There goes my villainous plan to pump LSD into the water supply.

Daaaaad, the squid on the side of my Evian water bottle is talking!

Why is your nation flag moving? It keeps on trying to tell me something. :p

Korhal IVV
Senator

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Korhal IVV » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:07 pm

If drugs get legalized, these regulations should be placed-

1-People with low incomes (poverty level) should not be allowed to buy drugs. Drug addiction will eat up what little money they have and keep their families hungry.

2-Students should not be allowed that crap. They should study instead of chewing/smoking/injecting drugs.

3-No drugs for children

4-A drug user can only buy a limited amount a day so that he/she does not overdose.
ABTH Music Education ~ AB Journalism ~ RPer ~ Keyboard Warrior ~ Futurist ~ INTJ

Economic Left/Right: -0.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21
Supports: Christianity, economic development, democracy, common sense, vaccines, space colonization, and health programs
Against: Adding 100 genders, Gay marriage in a church, heresy, Nazism, abortion for no good reason, anti-vaxxers, SJW liberals, and indecency
This nation does reflect my real-life beliefs.
My vocabulary is stranger than a Tzeentchian sorceror. Bare with me.

"Whatever a person may be like, we must still love them because we love God." ~ John Calvin

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:10 pm

Korhal IVV wrote:If drugs get legalized, these regulations should be placed-

1-People with low incomes (poverty level) should not be allowed to buy drugs. Drug addiction will eat up what little money they have and keep their families hungry.

2-Students should not be allowed that crap. They should study instead of chewing/smoking/injecting drugs.

3-No drugs for children

4-A drug user can only buy a limited amount a day so that he/she does not overdose.

1 - They should be eligible for medicinal drugs, though.

2 - Set an age limit. Probably no drugs for high school students but for some college students, perhaps.

3 - Fair enough.

4 - Fair enough.

Also, I'd add a 5, saying there should be designated areas for taking drugs, other than home.

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:23 pm

Korhal IVV wrote:1-People with low incomes (poverty level) should not be allowed to buy drugs. Drug addiction will eat up what little money they have and keep their families hungry.

Classist and authoritarian, much? Who are you to tell someone how to make their budget?

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:25 pm

I support the legalization of all the drugs. Maralize my legijuana!
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Talvezout
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Talvezout » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:27 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Korhal IVV wrote:1-People with low incomes (poverty level) should not be allowed to buy drugs. Drug addiction will eat up what little money they have and keep their families hungry.

Classist and authoritarian, much? Who are you to tell someone how to make their budget?

I would argue that he does kinda have a point in that there are some cases of low-income people using a good part of their money to buysomething cigarettes, although that's different from things like heroin or cocaine.

That being said, we shouldn't ban the poor from buying said drugs if such a situation did occur, but at least try to help them get over their situation.
Last edited by Talvezout on Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
talveziobiblio.org.tz

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General