NATION

PASSWORD

Legalize it All?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should we legalize drugs?

Yes, legalize them all.
25%
Just decriminalize them.
18%
Only some, not all.
34%
No.
22%

Total votes : 362

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:35 pm

Gim wrote:I don't agree with gun legality, too. :p

Christ, you're just down with a nanny state all the way around, aren't you?
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Zakuvia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Zakuvia » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:36 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Gim wrote:Scientists and pharmaceutical officials. Lethal, as in actually causing death instantaneously, beyond the level of alcohol, tobacco, and certain drugs.

...exactly what kind of drug have you heard of that just causes instant death? People do drugs to get high, what the fuck.

Cocaine, Methamphetaine, Ecstasy and, occasionally alcohol.

I know that you're trying to say there there's no such thing as a drug taken 'recreationally' whose only purpose is suicide, but to ignore first-time overdose or complication deaths is being grossly ignorant.
Balance is important in diets, gymnastics, and governments most of all.
NOW CELEBRATING 10 YEARS OF NS!
-1.12, -0.46

Gim
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:38 pm

Zakuvia wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:...exactly what kind of drug have you heard of that just causes instant death? People do drugs to get high, what the fuck.

I know that you're trying to say there there's no such thing as a drug taken 'recreationally' whose only purpose is suicide, but to ignore first-time overdose or complication deaths is being grossly ignorant.

There you go. ;)
All You Need to Know about Gim
Male, 17, Protestant Christian, British

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:46 pm

Zakuvia wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:...exactly what kind of drug have you heard of that just causes instant death? People do drugs to get high, what the fuck.

that's the benefit of legalization--it will minimize unintended drug deaths.

why? because the sellers have a vested interest in selling safe(r) standardized products that a person can rely on to be the same every time. sure there would still be people who overdo and kill themselves but that happens today with alcohol, eh? its not a legitimate reason to deny responsible users their fun.
whatever

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:47 pm

Zakuvia wrote:

He said "unwanted exposure" to such things. I've seen first time overdoses happen fucking in front of me, thanks. And I'd absolutely love if Gim could answer a question directed at him for once in his fucking life.

How are you involuntarily exposed to shit like that, second-hand? If someone, say, spikes your drink, okay, but that's just as illegal as it's ever been (not to mention huge advances in detecting shit like that - nail polish that changes color, for instance). You think people are just going to go around, holding strangers down, and shooting them up with lethal doses of crank? Why the fuck?

Please, answer me that. Explain Gim's nonsensical and insane proposition, one of a variety that he spews across these forums with absolutely no logic or thought backing him up. I'm fucking done. So. Fucking. Done.
Last edited by Prussia-Steinbach on Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:49 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Zakuvia wrote:

why? because the sellers have a vested interest in selling safe(r) standardized products that a person can rely on to be the same every time. sure there would still be people who overdo and kill themselves but that happens today with alcohol, eh? its not a legitimate reason to deny responsible users their fun.

How is that unwanted? Gim said unwanted exposure to drugs. It's not unwanted if you go in a dispensary and buy a fucking point of smack for yourself and head home and bang it.

Zakuvia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Zakuvia » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:53 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Zakuvia wrote:

Actually I'd say it's a perfectly legitimate reason, for the reasons mentioned earlier. Again, it's hard being told 'no', but I see the costs to human life and happiness as being infinitely greater than the occasional toke or sip for fun and profit. I can't rightfully imagine that the hundreds of thousands of people slain and families ruined either directly or indirectly by alcohol alone would say to anyone that these were acceptable collateral damage for the sake of 'fun'.
-1.12, -0.46

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:55 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:that's the benefit of legalization--it will minimize unintended drug deaths.

How is that unwanted? Gim said unwanted exposure to drugs. It's not unwanted if you go in a dispensary and buy a fucking point of smack for yourself and head home and bang it.

oh I cant be bothered to worry about inconsistencies and irrelevancies in other poster's posts. I just like to make points that kind of go along with something in the post.
whatever

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:56 pm

Zakuvia wrote:Actually I'd say it's a perfectly legitimate reason, for the reasons mentioned earlier. Again, it's hard being told 'no', but I see the costs to human life and happiness as being infinitely greater than the occasional toke or sip for fun and profit. I can't rightfully imagine that the hundreds of thousands of people slain and families ruined either directly or indirectly by alcohol alone would say to anyone that these were acceptable collateral damage for the sake of 'fun'.

No, it's for the sake of bodily sovereignty and basic personal freedom.

Let's talk to the fucking millions of people and their families locked up in prison because they had a small amount of marijuana on them. The guy who got life with no parole for "conspiracy to distribute LSD" when he was never even in possession of any.

The War on Drugs has hurt way more people than drugs ever have directly.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:57 pm

Zakuvia wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:that's the benefit of legalization--it will minimize unintended drug deaths.

Actually I'd say it's a perfectly legitimate reason, for the reasons mentioned earlier. Again, it's hard being told 'no', but I see the costs to human life and happiness as being infinitely greater than the occasional toke or sip for fun and profit. I can't rightfully imagine that the hundreds of thousands of people slain and families ruined either directly or indirectly by alcohol alone would say to anyone that these were acceptable collateral damage for the sake of 'fun'.

and yet we DO accept that collateral damage, eh?
whatever

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:00 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Zakuvia wrote:Actually I'd say it's a perfectly legitimate reason, for the reasons mentioned earlier. Again, it's hard being told 'no', but I see the costs to human life and happiness as being infinitely greater than the occasional toke or sip for fun and profit. I can't rightfully imagine that the hundreds of thousands of people slain and families ruined either directly or indirectly by alcohol alone would say to anyone that these were acceptable collateral damage for the sake of 'fun'.

Let's talk to the fucking millions of people and their families locked up in prison because they had a small amount of marijuana on them. The guy who got life with no parole for "conspiracy to distribute LSD" when he was never even in possession of any.

the war on drugs is what makes drug use so dangerous.

I know no one who has been harmed by marijuana but many who have been harmed by getting caught with marijuana.
whatever

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:02 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:No, it's for the sake of bodily sovereignty and basic personal freedom.

the war on drugs is what makes drug use so dangerous.

I know no one who has been harmed by marijuana but many who have been harmed by getting caught with marijuana.

Exactly.

I'm waiting, Posters Who'd Like To Run My Life.

Greater North American Union
Envoy

Founded: Nov 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater North American Union » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:52 pm

The Foxes Swamp wrote:
Gim wrote:
Scientists and pharmaceutical officials. Lethal, as in actually causing death instantaneously, beyond the level of alcohol, tobacco, and certain drugs.

guns are legal for general use and you worry about lethal drugs :rofl:

Medical malpractice kills 10 times as many people every year as gun crime. Pharmaceuticals and car wrecks (usually as a result of alcohol) each kill 3 times as many. Abuse of drugs like Heroin and Meth are about equally as deadly on their own, and kill several times as many combined. From a public health perspective, gun violence is pretty low on the list.
National Information
Nation Name(s): "The American Union", "The Union", "The Union of American States" (UAS) | Govt. Type: Constitutional Federal Republic | Denonym: American/Americans
This Nation is based on an idealized and tongue-in-cheek version of Theodore Roosevelt-style American Progressivism and Imperialism, and may not accurately represent the poster's views
"Judge a man not by the color of his skin, but by the content of his character" - -Rev. Martin Luther King Jr
"We can have no "50/50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all"--President Theodore Roosevelt
LvL 30 Weeaboo and Ammosexual
>tfw your raifu will never be real

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:56 pm

Greater North American Union wrote:Medical malpractice kills 10 times as many people every year as gun crime. Pharmaceuticals and car wrecks (usually as a result of alcohol) each kill 3 times as many. Abuse of drugs like Heroin and Meth are about equally as deadly on their own, and kill several times as many combined. From a public health perspective, gun violence is pretty low on the list.

hahahahahahahahahahaha

I'm really hoping you're joking, but if you aren't? Source that shit. Since I already know it's a lie.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater North American Union » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:14 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Greater North American Union wrote:Medical malpractice kills 10 times as many people every year as gun crime. Pharmaceuticals and car wrecks (usually as a result of alcohol) each kill 3 times as many. Abuse of drugs like Heroin and Meth are about equally as deadly on their own, and kill several times as many combined. From a public health perspective, gun violence is pretty low on the list.

hahahahahahahahahahaha

I'm really hoping you're joking, but if you aren't? Source that shit. Since I already know it's a lie.

Gun homicide rates:
FBI Homicide Table 8 (2007-2011, 2009-2013)
Expanded homicide data 8: victims by weapon
https://m.fbi.gov/#https://www.fbi.gov/ ... ta-table-8
https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/c ... 9-2013.xls

Medical malpractice:
Starfield, B. (2000, July 26). Is US health really the best in the world? Journal of the American Medical Association, 284(4), 483-485.
http://jama.jamanetwork.com/Mobile/issu ... sueid=4745

Drug deaths:
http://www.drugabuse.gov/related-topics ... eath-rates
National Information
Nation Name(s): "The American Union", "The Union", "The Union of American States" (UAS) | Govt. Type: Constitutional Federal Republic | Denonym: American/Americans
This Nation is based on an idealized and tongue-in-cheek version of Theodore Roosevelt-style American Progressivism and Imperialism, and may not accurately represent the poster's views
"Judge a man not by the color of his skin, but by the content of his character" - -Rev. Martin Luther King Jr
"We can have no "50/50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all"--President Theodore Roosevelt

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:19 pm

Greater North American Union wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:hahahahahahahahahahaha

Gun homicide rates:

Medical malpractice:
Starfield, B. (2000, July 26). Is US health really the best in the world? Journal of the American Medical Association, 284(4), 483-485.

Drug deaths:

Prescription drugs.

We're talking about illegal ones.

It's not far-fetched to bet a good portion of those ODs were from people who obtained them legally.

Anyway.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater North American Union » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:23 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Greater North American Union wrote:
Gun homicide rates:

Medical malpractice:

Drug deaths:

Prescription drugs.

We're talking about illegal ones.

It's not far-fetched to bet a good portion of those ODs were from people who obtained them legally.

Anyway.

Oh you misunderstand me. I don't think drugs should be illegal. I think it's silly to be more upset about a smaller death statistic than a bigger one.

I'm generally opposed to banning private citizens from doing or owning anything. Regulate, don't ban. If people do something stupid and get killed, that's nobody's fault but their own.
Last edited by Greater North American Union on Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
National Information

Zakuvia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Zakuvia » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:33 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:

Actually, and this is supported by posts I've made earlier in this thread, I'm in support of marijuana legalization, and I even agree with (I forget the word for 'legally undoing') usage and possession charges in the case thereof. There hasn't been (to my knowledge) a single overdose death due to marijuana in recorded history. Some accidental fatalities here and there, but even I can accept the analogy (again, used previously) that things like cars and roller coasters kill people by accident due to no fault of the intent of the product.

I may not agree with much beyond medical legalization, but I can rationally say that if I had a choice between a toke and a Rum and Coke? I'd light up 10/10 times. (Supposing I wouldn't lose my job for it, etc.)
-1.12, -0.46

Korhal IVV
Senator

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Korhal IVV » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:19 pm

Gim wrote:
The Foxes Swamp wrote:
what we have now in the big picture aint working and who decides whats lethal?

Scientists and pharmaceutical officials. Lethal, as in actually causing death instantaneously, beyond the level of alcohol, tobacco, and certain drugs.

Tobacco is bad for the lungs
ABTH Music Education ~ AB Journalism ~ RPer ~ Keyboard Warrior ~ Futurist ~ INTJ

Economic Left/Right: -0.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21
Supports: Christianity, economic development, democracy, common sense, vaccines, space colonization, and health programs
Against: Adding 100 genders, Gay marriage in a church, heresy, Nazism, abortion for no good reason, anti-vaxxers, SJW liberals, and indecency
This nation does reflect my real-life beliefs.
My vocabulary is stranger than a Tzeentchian sorceror. Bare with me.

"Whatever a person may be like, we must still love them because we love God." ~ John Calvin

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:20 pm

Korhal IVV wrote:
Gim wrote:

Tobacco is bad for the lungs

Yes, but it does not cause significant brain damage like cocaine or heroin, or even marijuana.

Korhal IVV
Senator

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Korhal IVV » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:23 pm

Informing people of the sideffects usually doesn't stop them... Instead they just keep taking more.
ABTH Music Education ~ AB Journalism ~ RPer ~ Keyboard Warrior ~ Futurist ~ INTJ

Economic Left/Right: -0.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21
Supports: Christianity, economic development, democracy, common sense, vaccines, space colonization, and health programs
Against: Adding 100 genders, Gay marriage in a church, heresy, Nazism, abortion for no good reason, anti-vaxxers, SJW liberals, and indecency
This nation does reflect my real-life beliefs.
My vocabulary is stranger than a Tzeentchian sorceror. Bare with me.

"Whatever a person may be like, we must still love them because we love God." ~ John Calvin

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:24 pm

Gim wrote:
Korhal IVV wrote:Tobacco is bad for the lungs

Yes, but it does not cause significant brain damage like cocaine or heroin, or even marijuana.

Source that cocaine, heroin, or marijuana cause brain damage in mentally healthy adults.

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:25 pm

Korhal IVV wrote:Informing people of the sideffects usually doesn't stop them... Instead they just keep taking more.

Well, legalizing it would allow more people to take drugs. Keeping it illegal will not prevent the use of drugs, but, at least, that will mitigate it.

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:28 pm

Gim wrote:Well, legalizing it would allow more people to take drugs. Keeping it illegal will not prevent the use of drugs, but, at least, that will mitigate it.

False. As I've source in the OP, drug decriminalization has caused use to go down; in America, prohibition of alcohol caused drinking to rise, and it went back down with its abolition.

Care to actually address any of this, Gim, or will you just ignore my entirely-justified questions and factual disproving of your argument?

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:03 pm

Gim wrote:
Korhal IVV wrote:Informing people of the sideffects usually doesn't stop them... Instead they just keep taking more.

Well, legalizing it would allow more people to take drugs. Keeping it illegal will not prevent the use of drugs, but, at least, that will mitigate it.

The data shows otherwise.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General