NATION

PASSWORD

Should illegals be given the right to Vote

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should illegals be allowed to vote.

Yes
14%
No
82%
Not Surei
4%

Total votes : 321

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:27 pm

Hugdom wrote:
What's the difference between a legal and an illegal immigrant besides not having papers?

That's a significant and important difference, don't you think?
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:28 pm

Yes. I'm not a fan of borders, nations, or the concept of "citizenship" in general.
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Ashkera
Minister

Founded: May 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ashkera » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:28 pm

NERVUN wrote:This... has nothing to do with the topic.

It's the basis for why states are justified in excluding people at all as opposed to no one. Ifreann keeps asking why illegal immigrants should not have the same rights. Well, that's why.
第五大黒森帝国
Practice. Virtue. Harmony. Prosperity.

A secretive Dominant-Party Technocracy located in the southwest of the Pacific Ocean
Factbook: The Fifth Empire of Ashkera [2018/2030] (updated 18.04.29) / Questions
Roaming squads of state-sponsored body-builders teach nerds to lift. "Fifth generation" cruise ships come equipped with naval reactors. Insurance inspectors are more feared than tax auditors. Turbine-powered "super interceptor" police cruisers patrol high-speed highways.

Northern Freikur
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Freikur » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:28 pm

Confederation of Common Sense wrote:Of course they should. What if the immigrant was fleeing an authoritarian or proletariat regime?

Then they can immigrate legally with their fellow legal immigrants.
Even when I contradict myself, I am right.

Hugdom
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Hugdom » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:29 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Hugdom wrote:
What's the difference between a legal and an illegal immigrant besides not having papers?

Well in my personal philosophical and political beliefs, no. People should be treated like people. And people should have a right to vote, not the privilege to vote. If it is a right and not a privilege then having documentation should not matter.

If it does, then stop calling it a right.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:29 pm

Ashkera wrote:
NERVUN wrote:Excuse me, but exactly what duties are imposed by the state that immigrants (Ignoring status right now) do not fulfill except by some arbitrary line?

I'm an immigrant to Japan. I pay taxes, both national and local, I pay property taxes, I pay health insurance, I pay pension, I even volunteer as a firefighter...

So, exactly, what duty am I not fulfilling here?

But you are a LEGAL immigrant, is that correct? This argument is about ILLEGAL immigrants.

And you are saying that only CITIZENS should vote... one can be a legal immigrant and NOT take citizenship. It doesn't happen automatically you know.

So, what am I not doing?
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:29 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Hugdom wrote:

I don't think made-up lines on a tiny floating rock in the middle of space are important at all. I think the sentient beings on said rock are, however.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:29 pm

Geilinor wrote:

Yes it does.

Not really no.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Northern Freikur
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Freikur » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:29 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Yes. I'm not a fan of borders, nations, or the concept of "citizenship" in general.

I'm guessing that you support the 'sovereign citizen' movement

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:30 pm

Confederation of Common Sense wrote:Of course they should. What if the immigrant was fleeing an authoritarian or proletariat regime?

A "proletariat" regime? Like, one ruled by the lower class?

...why is that a bad thing, exactly?

Hugdom
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hugdom » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:30 pm

Northern Freikur wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Yes. I'm not a fan of borders, nations, or the concept of "citizenship" in general.

does that undermine his argument?

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:30 pm

Ashkera wrote:

It's the basis for why states are justified in excluding people at all as opposed to no one. Ifreann keeps asking why illegal immigrants should not have the same rights. Well, that's why.

No, not really.

Ashkera
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ashkera » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:31 pm

Hugdom wrote:What's the difference between a legal and an illegal immigrant besides not having papers? And how can a person be illegal?

Gee, I don't know, the entire state naturalization process and all that goes with it? The records for law enforcement? All that sort of stuff?

The person isn't illegal, their actions are.
第五大黒森帝国

A secretive Dominant-Party Technocracy located in the southwest of the Pacific Ocean
Factbook: The Fifth Empire of Ashkera [2018/2030] (updated 18.04.29) / Questions
Roaming squads of state-sponsored body-builders teach nerds to lift. "Fifth generation" cruise ships come equipped with naval reactors. Insurance inspectors are more feared than tax auditors. Turbine-powered "super interceptor" police cruisers patrol high-speed highways.

Ashkera
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ashkera » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:33 pm

NERVUN wrote:And you are saying that only CITIZENS should vote... one can be a legal immigrant and NOT take citizenship. It doesn't happen automatically you know.

So, what am I not doing?

Well, what you are doing is talking about the subject for a different thread. I don't mind the idea of Japan changing their laws to allow people to become citizens, but that is not the thread topic.
第五大黒森帝国

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:33 pm

Northern Freikur wrote:

Do I seem like the kind of guy who associates with fundamentalist Christians, white supremacists, or right-wingers of any sort?

Hugdom
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hugdom » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:34 pm

Ashkera wrote:
Hugdom wrote:What's the difference between a legal and an illegal immigrant besides not having papers? And how can a person be illegal?

Gee, I don't know, the entire state naturalization process and all that goes with it? The records for law enforcement? All that sort of stuff?

Yes, but why are those laws put into place and why should it matter to begin with? Is someone just not allotted rights because they don't have personal records? If so, stop calling it a right. It's a privilege.

What if someone isn't a citizen anywhere? Are they acting in an illegal manner just by being born?

Also, you don't have to be a citizen to be a permanent resident and contribute to your country. There's probably a heck of a lot of citizens who have done a lot less for "their" country than illegal immigrants or permanent residents.
Last edited by Hugdom on Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Northern Freikur
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Freikur » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:34 pm

Hugdom wrote:
Northern Freikur wrote:I'm guessing that you support the 'sovereign citizen' movement

Not necessarily, but the 'sovereign citizens' are essentially people which give law enforcement officials and governments more troubles than they're worth. They claim to be a "Citizen of the World" and thus need not obey the law. And I despise those people...

The simple truth is, If you are on American Soil, you obey American Law. No matter what your nationality is...

Northern Freikur
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Freikur » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:36 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Northern Freikur wrote:I'm guessing that you support the 'sovereign citizen' movement

Do I seem like the kind of guy who associates with fundamentalist Christians, white supremacists, or right-wingers of any sort?

:palm: I give up on you...

Ashkera
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ashkera » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:36 pm

Hugdom wrote:Well in my personal philosophical and political beliefs, no. People should be treated like people. And people should have a right to vote, not the privilege to vote. If it is a right and not a privilege then having documentation should not matter.

The host state is not responsible for that. The home state is.
第五大黒森帝国

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:37 pm

Northern Freikur wrote:Not necessarily, but the 'sovereign citizens' are essentially people which give law enforcement officials and governments more troubles than they're worth. They claim to be a "Citizen of the World" and thus need not obey the law. And I despise those people...

I'm not a "Sovereign Citizen."

I am, however, an illegalist.
Northern Freikur wrote:The simple truth is, If you are on American Soil, you obey American Law. No matter what your nationality is...

Nah. Don't feel like it. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Hugdom
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hugdom » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:37 pm

Northern Freikur wrote:
Hugdom wrote:

Not necessarily, but the 'sovereign citizens' are essentially people which give law enforcement officials and governments more troubles than they're worth. They claim to be a "Citizen of the World" and thus need not obey the law. And I despise those people...

The simple truth is, If you are on American Soil, you obey American Law. No matter what your nationality is...

Nationality has nothing to do with it, and if the answer is "not necessarily" then you shouldn't have brought it up.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:37 pm

Ashkera wrote:
NERVUN wrote:And you are saying that only CITIZENS should vote... one can be a legal immigrant and NOT take citizenship. It doesn't happen automatically you know.

So, what am I not doing?

Well, what you are doing is talking about the subject for a different thread. I don't mind the idea of Japan changing their laws to allow people to become citizens, but that is not the thread topic.

Dude... it works the same in the United States. Immigrating means MOVING. Some people immigrate on a short term basis, some on long term, and a number permanently (Green card holders). Immigration does not mean you automatically become a US citizen (For your information, an immigrant has to spend at least 5 years in the US, pass a number of tests, be interviewed, swear an oath, and pay a whole heck of a lot of money before getting naturalized).

So, again, legality isn't the point, you said voting should be for citizens only because of the duties imposed by the state on citizens. What, exactly, are these duties that are imposed on citizens that are not on other immigrants?

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:38 pm

Northern Freikur wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Do I seem like the kind of guy who associates with fundamentalist Christians, white supremacists, or right-wingers of any sort?

:palm: I give up on you...

...what?

Hugdom
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hugdom » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:38 pm

Ashkera wrote:
Hugdom wrote:Well in my personal philosophical and political beliefs, no. People should be treated like people. And people should have a right to vote, not the privilege to vote. If it is a right and not a privilege then having documentation should not matter.

The host state is not responsible for that. The home state is.

All states are, especially the US. The US believes that rights are god given, not state given. Therefore that argument is moot.

Ashkera
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ashkera » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:38 pm

Hugdom wrote:
Ashkera wrote:

Yes, but why are those laws put into place and why should it matter to begin with? Is someone just not allotted rights because they don't have personal records? If so, stop calling it a right. It's a privilege.

What if someone isn't a citizen anywhere? Are they acting in an illegal manner just by being born?

Well, it just so happens I'm not a rights theorist. I only use "rights" as a shorthand. So sure, call it that if you like.

Then they are Stateless, and international law prohibits turning them away, or making them so, IIRC.
第五大黒森帝国

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General