NATION

PASSWORD

Should American Blacks be Thankful?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should African-Americans be Thankful

Yes
23%
No
32%
Maybe
8%
Perhaps, if I was African-American
1%
Coldwater is a RACIST!
36%

Total votes : 300

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:36 pm

Republic of Coldwater wrote:Yeah, no. Many plantations were burned and destroyed in the southland during the War of Northern Aggression, and Mississippi went from one of the wealthiest, to one of the poorest states in the Union as a result. The south was economically devastated following the war, and to assume that somehow, all white people, and American society has benefitted on the backs of slaves is simply asinine. Only a few remnants of slave labor hold some real economic benefit to the US, and it is so minute that the vast majority of Americans, even descendants of the Anglo majority at the time haven't benefitted much from slave labor.

And how much of that economic devastation came from losing the ability to count the black population as "wealth"? Excluding the money that was invested in slaves, the North had already surpassed the South economically before the Civil War and the gap was growing wider every year. It's easy to be wealthy on paper when you count a big chunk of your working class as "wealth" instead of "people."

No, not thank you for being purchased, but thank you, for being brought in the US. That is a singular event that doesn't encompass the trading, selling or subjugation of black people. And no, very few people truly benefitted up to 2015 from slave plantations.

Except the part where they got brought to the US was part of the slave trade...

I don't support perpetuating institutional racism. That, by itself, is the unwarranted expansion of governmental power. I am talking about a largely moral questions: should blacks be thankful that their ancestors were brought to the US? It is unfortunate that people were killed by institutional racism in the country you are from (also, just out of curiosity, which country?), but I don't understand how my belief that blacks should be thankful, which does not support slavery, segregation or institutional discrimination against blacks somehow makes me a supporter of these uncalled for programs.

It isn't perpetuating any ideology, it is a mere belief that blacks should be thankful for not being born in Africa where they would be objectively worse off, and I do not wish to bring any form of discrimination upon any people, for it is truly an expansion of government, and one with great moral issue.

Discrimination can come from other sources besides the government.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:41 pm

The Qeiiam Star Cluster wrote:Yeah, they should get on their knees and kiss the superior white man's feet for bringing them civilization and the word of God!

A lot of them pretty much did that when the superior white man came to free them from the shitty slave-owning white man.
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:48 pm

Senkaku wrote:2. "War of Northern Aggression" okay we get it you're a slavery apologist looking for any excuse you possibly can to justify slavery, whether that be that blacks should be grateful or that the Civil War was really "northern aggression" looking to stomp on your precious state's rahts. ANd actually, the southern aristocracy that endured well beyond slavery, and even to this day, was built on those plantations that you're talking about. On top of that, they began the perpetuation of institutional racism that to this day keeps black people in this nation underpriviliged and marginalized and makes whites the dominant power group.

I want to know why he's not thankful to the North for helping the South to get rid of slavery so it could move forward socially economically.

I was hoping maybe he was a submissive BDSM enthusiast that meant "Northern aggression" like it was sexy and awesome, but apparently it's not like that...

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:52 pm

Liriena wrote:If African Americans cannot "blame" anyone alive today for their past grievances and the negative consequences of said grievances, how could they thank anyone today for the alleged benefits of said grievances?

Oh my God this. ^^^^^
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:52 pm

Liriena wrote:
Republic of Coldwater wrote:1) What did I do? Did I buy slaves from the harbors in Africa and sail my ass to Virginia and sell the blacks? Sorry, but I am not 500 years old, so tell me, what culpability do I possess in the slave trade? The US didn't outlaw the slave trade until 1807, and that was wrong, but that once again, proves nothing at all, neither does it prove my personal culpability.

If African Americans cannot "blame" anyone alive today for their past grievances and the negative consequences of said grievances, how could they thank anyone today for the alleged benefits of said grievances?

Republic of Coldwater wrote:War of Northern Aggression

Ewwwww

You don't think Northern aggression is sexy and awesome either? :(

New Dixie Isles
Secretary

Founded: Oct 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Dixie Isles » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:05 pm

Personally, I think they should be thankful. This comes with a catch, however.

I think that black people, who act normal (dont sag their clothes, talk normal American English, act ignorant, or listen to 'rap/hip hop') shouldn't need to be thankful. They have conformed to US society, and do not attempt to put down other people because of their race, gender, or ethnicity...and the type of people who dont go around shooting people in gangs. These people act like regular human beings, and live like normal everyday Americans. A well known example; Ben Carson.

However, 'ignorant ghetto' blacks should kiss the ground of the US everyday and pray to god that they aren't sent back to africa. They are the opposite of the above blacks; the ones who involve themselves in gangs, kill everyone they see fit, speak in Ebonics, sag their clothing, dumb-down their population, listen to horrible and violent music, rub their 'blackness' in your face, promote racism, hate the cops/government, act ignorant, pull the race card constantly, and act like you owe them something. While they practice free speech and freedom of expression, they choose to not conform to us society, and in turn, help ruin it by doing the above stated things. Well known examples; Jessie Jackson, Kaney West. They are the problems in race relations today, causing a slew of issues for the entire country. They should be thankful they are here because they wouldn't survive a single day in Africa if they continued their stupid little antics.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:44 pm

New Dixie Isles wrote:Personally, I think they should be thankful. This comes with a catch, however.

I think that black people, who act normal (dont sag their clothes, talk normal American English, act ignorant, or listen to 'rap/hip hop') shouldn't need to be thankful. They have conformed to US society, and do not attempt to put down other people because of their race, gender, or ethnicity...and the type of people who dont go around shooting people in gangs. These people act like regular human beings, and live like normal everyday Americans. A well known example; Ben Carson.

However, 'ignorant ghetto' blacks should kiss the ground of the US everyday and pray to god that they aren't sent back to africa. They are the opposite of the above blacks; the ones who involve themselves in gangs, kill everyone they see fit, speak in Ebonics, sag their clothing, dumb-down their population, listen to horrible and violent music, rub their 'blackness' in your face, promote racism, hate the cops/government, act ignorant, pull the race card constantly, and act like you owe them something. While they practice free speech and freedom of expression, they choose to not conform to us society, and in turn, help ruin it by doing the above stated things. Well known examples; Jessie Jackson, Kaney West. They are the problems in race relations today, causing a slew of issues for the entire country. They should be thankful they are here because they wouldn't survive a single day in Africa if they continued their stupid little antics.

How does sagging your pants, having an accent, and listening to hip-hop ruin society? The gangs and violence, sure. Those are bad. You could even make a case that there is a subset of hip-hop which is socially toxic, but it is not every song in the entire genre. For example, what is the problem with this song?

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:49 pm

I mean, I wouldn't be thankful if my ancestors were forcibly removed from their home, and then had their home fucking gang-banged by practically every European nation with access to boats. I don't give a fuck how good conditions are in America today, what we did to black people is disgusting. They don't need to thank us for their current lot. We should be apologizing for it.
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
Nilokeras wrote:there is of course an interesting thread to pull on [...]
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:52 pm

New Dixie Isles wrote:Personally, I think they should be thankful. This comes with a catch, however.

A few things.
1) Ben Carson is a terrible example of how a person should act.
2) Black people can have their own culture, seeing as we forcibly changed their original cultures.
3) Fuck cops.
4) Your stereotypes of "'ignorant ghetto' blacks" are racist.
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:52 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:I mean, I wouldn't be thankful if my ancestors were forcibly removed from their home, and then had their home fucking gang-banged by practically every European nation with access to boats. I don't give a fuck how good conditions are in America today, what we did to black people is disgusting. They don't need to thank us for their current lot. We should be apologizing for it.

This is why it's important for boats to have civil rights, so we don't get exploited by every Tom, Dick, and Harry with an imperialist agenda.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:00 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:

A few things.
1) Ben Carson is a terrible example of how a person should act.
2) Black people can have their own culture, seeing as we forcibly changed their original cultures.
3) Fuck cops.
4) Your stereotypes of "'ignorant ghetto' blacks" are racist.

USS Monitor wrote:

How does sagging your pants, having an accent, and listening to hip-hop ruin society? The gangs and violence, sure. Those are bad. You could even make a case that there is a subset of hip-hop which is socially toxic, but it is not every song in the entire genre. For example, what is the problem with this song?

Why give the obvious puppet attention?
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:01 pm

USS Monitor wrote:

As if any of those things are unique to blacks.

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:02 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Arcturus Novus wrote:I mean, I wouldn't be thankful if my ancestors were forcibly removed from their home, and then had their home fucking gang-banged by practically every European nation with access to boats. I don't give a fuck how good conditions are in America today, what we did to black people is disgusting. They don't need to thank us for their current lot. We should be apologizing for it.

This is why it's important for boats to have civil rights, so we don't get exploited by every Tom, Dick, and Harry with an imperialist agenda.

Monitor-Arcturus 2016
Vote for Boat's Rights

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:05 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

Monitor-Arcturus 2016
Vote for Boat's Rights

Hell, yeah! :lol:

Obexer
Envoy

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Obexer » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:06 pm

Oh I've gotta hear this.
I think that black people, who act normal

Alright, stop right there. Who are you, exactly, to decide what's "normal" and what isn't?
(dont sag their clothes,

Stereotype...
talk normal American English,

AAVE is American English. Just a different take on it. It's a dialect, actually, and shared a lot in common with American Southern accents. I guess you want southerners to clean up their acts too, right?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/African ... ar_English
act ignorant,

White people act ignorant too, but I bet you don't think that.
or listen to 'rap/hip hop')

White people also listen to rap and hip hop. That also shouldn't make someone automatically less of a person.
They have conformed to US society,

Ha. Steal people from a continent, fight a war over whether they should be free, treat them as second class citizens, and then expect them to immediately accept your culture. Nice.
and do not attempt to put down other people because of their race, gender, or ethnicity...

Are you implying white people never do that?
and the type of people who dont go around shooting people in gangs.

Are you implying that white people don't participate whatsoever in gang activity?
These people act like regular human beings,

I don't think you have a good grasp on what "regular human beings" act like.
A well known example; Ben Carson.

Who said Obamacare was the worst thing since slavery? He hardly seems normal.
However, 'ignorant ghetto' blacks

If someone had made a similar statement about 'trailer trash whites,' here, I bet you'd get all angry.
should kiss the ground of the US everyday and pray to god that they aren't sent back to africa.

Uh, no. They have as much a right to be here as you do. You are no more of an American citizen than they are.
the ones who involve themselves in gangs,

I'm getting the vibe you think white people simply don't commit crimes.
kill everyone they see fit,

This is laughable. How many black people do you think are just serial killers on the loose, I wonder?
speak in Ebonics,

How is this a reason to deport someone to another continent?
sag their clothing,

How is wearing clothing in a way you don't like grounds to deport someone to another continent?
listen to horrible and violent music,

"You listen to music I don't like, go away forever," is quite childish, don't you think?
rub their 'blackness' in your face,

Wait, what? This makes no sense. Surely white people who rub their 'whiteness' in your face should be sent back to Europe as well, no? Or Native Americans who rub their 'Nativeness' in your face... Wait. They can't go anywhere.
promote racism,

Again, implying this is something white people don't do.
hate the cops/government,

As if white people can't do either of these things.
act ignorant,

Are you kidding me? So you just think ignorant white people are nonexistent?
pull the race card constantly,

It's pretty clear you don't think highly of black people and incapable of seeing that, so no wonder you think it's "constant".
While they practice free speech and freedom of expression, they choose to not conform to us society,

It's less of "us society," and more of just a long list of your arbitrary demands.
They are the problems in race relations today, causing a slew of issues for the entire country.

I think people who share your mindset are a bigger problem.
They should be thankful they are here because they wouldn't survive a single day in Africa if they continued their stupid little antics.

"The government has the power to kill you, so you should be thankful it doesn't," isn't a very sound line of reasoning.
Белая смерть
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Let the jimmies rustle through you. Let them rustle like leaves in the autumn wind.

The Serbian Empire's NS younger brother.
The Serbian Empire wrote:
Obexer wrote:That and cutting my sister's hair while she sleeps.

You want my hair?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:15 pm

Obexer wrote:"You listen to music I don't like, go away forever," is quite childish, don't you think?

Plus, hip hop is objectively the best genre of music. *nods*
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:16 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Obexer wrote:"You listen to music I don't like, go away forever," is quite childish, don't you think?

You heathen! :p
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:17 pm

Mavorpen wrote:

Ehh, considering Lil Wayne is part of that genre, you're partially wrong.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:19 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Plus, hip hop is objectively the best genre of music. *nods*

I used to like metal the most, but then I realized my sins and converted.

Qanchia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Qanchia » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:19 pm

Why should they be thankful for being enslaved?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:19 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Plus, hip hop is objectively the best genre of music. *nods*

Ehh, considering Lil Wayne is part of that genre, you're partially wrong.

Wut

Obexer
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Obexer » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:23 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Soldati senza confini wrote:

I used to like metal the most, but then I realized my sins and converted.

I like random junk from soundcloud. I guess this means I should be drawn and quartered, since we all know it's so much worse.
Белая смерть
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Let the jimmies rustle through you. Let them rustle like leaves in the autumn wind.

You want my hair?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:29 pm

Obexer wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:I used to like metal the most, but then I realized my sins and converted.

I like random junk from soundcloud. I guess this means I should be drawn and quartered, since we all know it's so much worse.

My favorite part is that he said hip hop is "horrible and violent music" and then specifically named Kanye West, an artist who has a collection of music the complete opposite.

Obexer
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Obexer » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:40 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Obexer wrote:I like random junk from soundcloud. I guess this means I should be drawn and quartered, since we all know it's so much worse.

My favorite part is that he said hip hop is "horrible and violent music" and then specifically named Kanye West, an artist who has a collection of music the complete opposite.

I really get the feeling this guy just visited worldstar and decided that that's how all black people act.
Белая смерть

You want my hair?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:42 pm

Obexer wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:My favorite part is that he said hip hop is "horrible and violent music" and then specifically named Kanye West, an artist who has a collection of music the complete opposite.

I really get the feeling this guy just visited worldstar and decided that that's how all black people act.

He's just upset Kanye West makes better music than his favorite artists. *nods*

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General