NATION

PASSWORD

WBC vs Kim Davis

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Omega America II
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Omega America II » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:40 pm

The Siverian Republic wrote:
Omega America II wrote:Yeah, she could do that too. Or were you stating that towards me?

I was stating it towards you, but she could do that.......

Oh, right, yeah I am Christian as well, which is why I don't agree with gay marriage as stated in the Bible, although not very much. Anyways, yep.
Founder of the reestablished Union of Atlantic Nations

Heraklea-
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

WBC vs Kim Davis

Postby Heraklea- » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:27 pm

Apparently, the universe has decided to give me a birthday present.
The hyper-conservative Westboro Baptist Church called on Rowan County, Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis to follow the Supreme Court’s mandate on same-sex marriage — but not out of any sudden support for LGBT Americans, the Friendly Atheist reported.

“The Supreme Court, in the providence of God, and for the punishment of this nation, has declared that same-sex marriage IS the law of Doomed USA. So DO IT!!” the group said in a statement on Thursday. “You asked for it, you begged for it by your disobedience and refusal to receive correction or instruction, so take it and like it!”

The church has described Davis as a “fake Christian” for being married four times, including twice with the same man, and blamed her for the high court’s decision to strike down bans on marriage equality.

“Kim claims that she has lived in proud sin for many years, divorcing and remarrying, not one time or two times, in fact you need a score card to keep track,” the statement read. “Her lawyers, being smooth talking fellows say that all that was before her call to salvation two years ago when her current mother-in-law died. Nice, tidy, clever, but no cigar!”

In response, the church revisited its threat from last month to protest outside Davis’ offices on Monday, while also arguing that she should be “apologizing to the f*gs” for enabling them to get married.

Davis became a favorite among other Christian conservatives for refusing to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, citing her religious objections. The issue briefly landed her in jail on contempt charges. After her release, she made changes to the county’s license forms, which have sparked a separate court battle over whether they are still valid in Kentucky.

What is there to really say? The latest right-wing media darling is under attack by what is arguably one of, if not the, most notorious hate group in the United States. Maybe there is a God, and he wants me to be amused.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:28 pm

Heraklea- wrote:Apparently, the universe has decided to give me a birthday present.
The hyper-conservative Westboro Baptist Church called on Rowan County, Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis to follow the Supreme Court’s mandate on same-sex marriage — but not out of any sudden support for LGBT Americans, the Friendly Atheist reported.

“The Supreme Court, in the providence of God, and for the punishment of this nation, has declared that same-sex marriage IS the law of Doomed USA. So DO IT!!” the group said in a statement on Thursday. “You asked for it, you begged for it by your disobedience and refusal to receive correction or instruction, so take it and like it!”

The church has described Davis as a “fake Christian” for being married four times, including twice with the same man, and blamed her for the high court’s decision to strike down bans on marriage equality.

“Kim claims that she has lived in proud sin for many years, divorcing and remarrying, not one time or two times, in fact you need a score card to keep track,” the statement read. “Her lawyers, being smooth talking fellows say that all that was before her call to salvation two years ago when her current mother-in-law died. Nice, tidy, clever, but no cigar!”

In response, the church revisited its threat from last month to protest outside Davis’ offices on Monday, while also arguing that she should be “apologizing to the f*gs” for enabling them to get married.

Davis became a favorite among other Christian conservatives for refusing to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, citing her religious objections. The issue briefly landed her in jail on contempt charges. After her release, she made changes to the county’s license forms, which have sparked a separate court battle over whether they are still valid in Kentucky.

What is there to really say? The latest right-wing media darling is under attack by what is arguably one of, if not the, most notorious hate group in the United States. Maybe there is a God, and he wants me to be amused.

Granted the merge is a bit of a grave-dig but still ...

And ... :palm:
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:32 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Alyakia wrote:quit

This. Her asylum is achieved easily: "I hereby resign, effective September 1, 2015." Conscience soothed, problem solved.

But then she wouldn't get those rather large paychecks she doesn't deserve.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Heraklea-
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Heraklea- » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:36 pm

Farnhamia wrote:Granted the merge is a bit of a grave-dig but still ...

Try drinking. It gets funnier with every drink, trust me.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:48 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Heraklea- wrote:Apparently, the universe has decided to give me a birthday present.

Granted the merge is a bit of a grave-dig but still ...

Some people just want to watch the world burn.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:49 pm

I am very confused by this development.
Last edited by Galloism on Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:51 pm

Galloism wrote:

The Westboro Baptist Church has told her to issue licences because it plays in with what they've been preaching, which is that America is going to burn in hell for allowing this to happen and not heeding God's word.

So basically, allow this to happen and it, more or less, becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:54 pm

Kentucky should just go ahead and hold an emergency legislature session to summarily remove/impeach Davis from her position. This is getting ridiculous.

EDITED: wrong state
Last edited by Nanatsu no Tsuki on Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Heraklea-
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Heraklea- » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:55 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Kansas should just go ahead and hold an emergency legislature session to summarily remove/impeach Davis from her position. This is getting ridiculous.

I like your thinking.

Now if only you knew it was Kentucky and not Kansas. Have you been drinking too?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:56 pm

Galloism wrote:

The WBC is the living embodiment of this song from "Horsefeathers": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7cry-4pyy8 (amusing with Portuguese subtitles. too).
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:57 pm

Heraklea- wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Kansas should just go ahead and hold an emergency legislature session to summarily remove/impeach Davis from her position. This is getting ridiculous.

I like your thinking.

Now if only you knew it was Kentucky and not Kansas. Have you been drinking too?

Sorry, I'm sleepy. Kentucky.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:59 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Heraklea- wrote:I like your thinking.

You're Spanish. Kansas was visited by Coronado, who was also Spanish. Really, it's simple. ;)

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:00 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

You're Spanish. Kansas was visited by Coronado, who was also Spanish. Really, it's simple. ;)

I claim this land with... my cat hair for Spain! o/

But really, emergency session. Impeach her.
Slava Ukraini

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:04 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:You're Spanish. Kansas was visited by Coronado, who was also Spanish. Really, it's simple. ;)

Yes, but then the Pope might declare the Kentucky legislature anthema. I used to love excommunication ceremonies, they were so much more fun than the usual run-of-the-mill masses and all.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:06 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Yes, but then the Pope might declare the Kentucky legislature anthema. I used to love excommunication ceremonies, they were so much more fun than the usual run-of-the-mill masses and all.

Especially when the culprit was exhumed, his bones stood trial and they were then burned.
Slava Ukraini

Kraylandia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Kraylandia » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:10 pm

Ultimately, she took the job and shouldn't let her bullshit, religious/personal opinions get in the way of that.
You can call me Luci
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent..
Jello is my bored buddy!
Lito's NS wife

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know gender and sex aren't the same thing ⚧

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:12 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Yes, but then the Pope might declare the Kentucky legislature anthema. I used to love excommunication ceremonies, they were so much more fun than the usual run-of-the-mill masses and all.

Especially when the culprit was exhumed, his bones stood trial and they were then burned.

I know, I remember being both outraged and amused when I heard about that. I was still in Heian Japan when the Synodus Horrendus happened and did took me a while to walk back to Europe, but yeah.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:13 pm

Kraylandia wrote:Ultimately, she took the job and shouldn't let her bullshit, religious/personal opinions get in the way of that.

She was elected to the job, so I suppose she assumes a majority of the people in the county approve of her stance. And she was elected in 2014, I believe, before the Supreme Court decision.
Last edited by Farnhamia on Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neu Leonstein
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Neu Leonstein » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:34 pm

Farnhamia wrote:She was elected to the job, so I suppose she assumes a majority of the people in the county approve of her stance. And she was elected in 2014, I believe, before the Supreme Court decision.

But one could say that the reason for the Supreme Court decision, and for having a Supreme Court in the first place, is that sometimes what the majority of people think is not a good guide as to whether something is the right thing to do, at least as far as consistency with the constitution is concerned.

Which is a nice way of saying that her views remain irrelevant to her duties, even if all of Kentucky was as wrong as she is.
“Every age and generation must be as free to act for itself in all cases as the age and generations which preceded it. The vanity and presumption of governing beyond the grave is the most ridiculous and insolent of all tyrannies. Man has no property in man; neither has any generation a property in the generations which are to follow.”
~ Thomas Paine

Economic Left/Right: 2.25 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.33
Time zone: GMT+10 (Melbourne), working full time.

Heraklea-
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Heraklea- » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:41 pm

Neu Leonstein wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:She was elected to the job, so I suppose she assumes a majority of the people in the county approve of her stance. And she was elected in 2014, I believe, before the Supreme Court decision.

But one could say that the reason for the Supreme Court decision, and for having a Supreme Court in the first place, is that sometimes what the majority of people think is not a good guide as to whether something is the right thing to do, at least as far as consistency with the constitution is concerned.

Which is a nice way of saying that her views remain irrelevant to her duties, even if all of Kentucky was as wrong as she is.

Not all of Kentucky. I mean, it might be, but with regards to her it is just Rowan Country, KY.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General