NATION

PASSWORD

Tamir Rice: Cops did nothing wrong say experts

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:23 pm

Mega City 5 wrote:
It's a tragic accident in the same sense that it's a "tragic accident" if you jump into a pit of vipers and die by snake bite. :eyebrow:

He should have known better. His parents should have known better. He should not have been at that park with that [fake] gun.

And granted that he was at that park with that [fake] gun, he should not have been threatening people.

As I had quoted earlier. "He broke the law. He paid the price."

One less thug the police will have to deal with later.

Only if you assume we are constantly surrounded by viper pits and that any deviation from a rigid standard of behavior that causes you to be killed is tantamount to jumping in. I don't believe that's the case but if it is there are larger issues. The price for breaking the law is not and should not be being shot by the police.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Talvezout
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Talvezout » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:23 pm

Mega City 5 wrote:
Talvezout wrote:Alright, let's say he was pointing a gun at people, despite Des-Bal saying that it's hard to determine if he is aiming or not.

The fact that the video recording shows that he was pointing it and an eye witness says that he was pointing at people, that's good enough for me.

Does that still mean that they can drive up near the gazebo and immediately shoot the kid?

That's a prudential, on the spot decision that a policeman has to make. If he thinks that the "kid" is an active, lethal danger? You betcha. He sees the "kid" reaching for it? You betcha.

I posted it back:

The kid literally never reaches for the gun, which is supported by both witnesses and the video.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
talveziobiblio.org.tz

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:24 pm

Mega City 5 wrote:And congrats for completely missing the point. :clap:

He didn't miss the point you just didn't realize you made it.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.

Mega City 5
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Mega City 5 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:24 pm

Des-Bal wrote:Only if you assume we are constantly surrounded by viper pits and that any deviation from a rigid standard of behavior that causes you to be killed is tantamount to jumping in. I don't believe that's the case but if it is there are larger issues. The price for breaking the law is not and should not be being shot by the police.

Breaking the law in general? No. Making yourself out to be an active, lethal threat to the general public? Yup. In my book, that merits death-by-cop.
Last edited by Mega City 5 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:26 pm

Mega City 5 wrote:Breaking the law in general? No. Making yourself out to be a lethal threat to the general public? Yup.

No, not at all. "Making yourself out to be" suggests intent. Assuming he was aiming the toy at people it is a hell of a leap to assume his goal was to make them believe he was a lethal threat.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:26 pm

Mega City 5 wrote:
Galloism wrote:If police are roughly equivalent to wild snakes in temperment and safety, I suggest we take their guns away. We can't trust them.

And congrats for completely missing the point. :clap:

Here's the thing. I didn't.

I was a cop once. I talked to people who were carrying actual real life loaded weapons. I talked them into going down another path instead of shooting people. I have actually had to shoot someone - after a 6 hour standoff when things went critical. I'm one of the few people on this forum who have, I'm sure.

And you know what? I think we need to show better restraint. Collectively.

You don't just roll up and start shooting.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:28 pm

Talvezout wrote:
I posted it back:

The kid literally never reaches for the gun, which is supported by both witnesses and the video.

He did however make motions that a reasonable person in the heat of the moment could mistake for reaching for the toy. A kid I went to school with was shot by a gang member for similar reasons.

Talvezout
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Talvezout » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:29 pm

Mega City 5 wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:He did not "have it coming." This was a tragic accident.

It's a tragic accident in the same sense that it's a "tragic accident" if you jump into a pit of vipers and die by snake bite. :eyebrow:

He should have known better. His parents should have known better. He should not have been at that park with that [fake] gun.

And granted that he was at that park with that [fake] gun, he should not have been threatening people.

Dear lord

He's not a thug

He may be a 12 year old kid who was in the wrong place, at the wrong time, who made a wrong decision, but he's not a thug for crying out loud

If making one, possibly questionable choice in a situation where most people would panic constitutes a thug now, then there's something extremely wrong.
Last edited by Talvezout on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
talveziobiblio.org.tz

Talvezout
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Talvezout » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:31 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Talvezout wrote:
I posted it back:

He did however make motions that a reasonable person in the heat of the moment could mistake for reaching for the toy. A kid I went to school with was shot by a gang member for similar reasons.

I'll assent to that, I'll admit.

That being said, and if it's alright if I ask, was the kid who got shot alright in the end?
talveziobiblio.org.tz

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:32 pm

Talvezout wrote:

That being said, and if it's alright if I ask, was the kid who got shot alright in the end?

Yes, he was nine when he was shot and fifteen when I met him. Also on the subject of youth and thuggery he was in the gang with the guy that shot him.

Talvezout
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Talvezout » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:35 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Talvezout wrote:

Yes, he was nine when he was shot and fifteen when I met him. Also on the subject of youth and thuggery he was in the gang with the guy that shot him.

Oh.

I sincerely hope he's alright now though.
talveziobiblio.org.tz

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:37 pm

Talvezout wrote:
Oh.

He got hit in the arm and I didn't notice any problems. He played football.

Topid
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:43 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Mega City 5 wrote:

Only if you assume we are constantly surrounded by viper pits and that any deviation from a rigid standard of behavior that causes you to be killed is tantamount to jumping in. I don't believe that's the case but if it is there are larger issues. The price for breaking the law is not and should not be being shot by the police.

Not pointing things that looks like a real gun at people is not that rigid of a standard of behavior. Indeed, just about up there with not jumping in a snake pit. I'm not going to blame the kid because I actually took the orange cap off of one of my cap guns when I was about that age to make my make believe more believable also, I just had to keep it hidden from my parents at all times and would have never taken it to the park. (My parents would have killed me if they knew I did that. :P )

It is very sad, but the cops did nothing wrong. I commend them for doing what they should do to keep us safe, next time the gun will be real. Twelve year-old children really do kill people.
AKA Weed

Talvezout
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Talvezout » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:43 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Talvezout wrote:
Oh.

He got hit in the arm and I didn't notice any problems. He played football.

Good for him. i know it's getting annoying by now but I'm honestly being sincere

That being said, I've got to get up early tomorrow, so night y'all.
Last edited by Talvezout on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
talveziobiblio.org.tz

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:00 pm

Mega City 5 wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Because he had a gun. Which is legal. Weird.

Which he had already shown a willingness to brandish and use to threaten people.

Because we all know blacks with weapons are just a blatant threat to public order. *nods*
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:02 pm

Mega City 5 wrote:
Galloism wrote:If police are roughly equivalent to wild snakes in temperment and safety, I suggest we take their guns away. We can't trust them.

And congrats for completely missing the point. :clap:

Fairly addressing the issue at hand isn't "missing the point," contrary to what some may say.
Last edited by Prussia-Steinbach on Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:06 pm

Mega City 5 wrote:It's a tragic accident in the same sense that it's a "tragic accident" if you jump into a pit of vipers and die by snake bite. :eyebrow:

Yes, that's a totally fair comparison to being a black child in public.
Mega City 5 wrote:He should have known better. His parents should have known better. He should not have been at that park with that [fake] gun.

Them Negroes need to start educating themselves, am I right?
Mega City 5 wrote:And granted that he was at that park with that [fake] gun, he should not have been threatening people.

I'm rather intimidated by dark skinned individuals as well.
Mega City 5 wrote:As I had quoted earlier. "He broke the law. He paid the price."

Just like those pesky natives. Maybe if they hadn't existed, we wouldn't have needed a Trail of Tears.

Law = morality. *nods*
Mega City 5 wrote:One less thug the police will have to deal with later.

Ah, for the good ol' days. This would've never happened if he'd have been in the cotton fields with a whip on his back since his toddler years.
Last edited by Prussia-Steinbach on Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:08 pm

Mega City 5 wrote:That's a prudential, on the spot decision that a policeman has to make. If he thinks that the "kid" is an active, lethal danger? You betcha. He sees the "kid" reaching for it? You betcha.

I mean, we know both of those things aren't true, because we have a video, but sure, okay.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:30 am

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Because we all know blacks with weapons are just a blatant threat to public order. *nods*

I know it's like every time people see a black person points a gun at someone it becomes a big deal. And if you're black don't even try eating a baby, those racist fucks jump right on it.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:31 am

Des-Bal wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Because we all know blacks with weapons are just a blatant threat to public order. *nods*

I know it's like every time people see a black person points a gun at someone it becomes a big deal. And if you're black don't even try eating a baby, those racist fucks jump right on it.

You know what's funny?

In similar situations, and even much worse situations, the police seem to magically show restraint when it comes to white people. It's sort of funny, you know? Some of us have questions why in similar questionable situations, black people get shot, while white people don't.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:37 am

Galloism wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:

You know what's funny?

In similar situations, and even much worse situations, the police seem to magically show restraint when it comes to white people. It's sort of funny, you know? Some of us have questions why in similar questionable situations, black people get shot, while white people don't.

And DB claims to be black, so sounds like it's a rather ingrained attitude.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Liriena
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Liriena » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:53 am

The sheer amount of casually expressed racist condescension in this thread is worrisome.
Last edited by Liriena on Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
be gay do crime

I am:
A pansexual, pantheist, green socialist
An aspiring writer and journalist
Political compass stuff:
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.92
For: Grassroots democracy, workers' self-management, humanitarianism, pacifism, pluralism, environmentalism, interculturalism, indigenous rights, minority rights, LGBT+ rights, feminism, optimism
Against: Nationalism, authoritarianism, fascism, conservatism, populism, violence, ethnocentrism, racism, sexism, religious bigotry, anti-LGBT+ bigotry, death penalty, neoliberalism, tribalism,
cynicism

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig
if you passed biology and know
gender and sex aren't the same thing.⚧

I disown most of my previous posts

Liriena
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Liriena » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:55 am

Galloism wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:

You know what's funny?

For instance.
be gay do crime

I am:
A pansexual, pantheist, green socialist
An aspiring writer and journalist
Political compass stuff:
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.92
For: Grassroots democracy, workers' self-management, humanitarianism, pacifism, pluralism, environmentalism, interculturalism, indigenous rights, minority rights, LGBT+ rights, feminism, optimism
Against: Nationalism, authoritarianism, fascism, conservatism, populism, violence, ethnocentrism, racism, sexism, religious bigotry, anti-LGBT+ bigotry, death penalty, neoliberalism, tribalism,
cynicism

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig
if you passed biology and know
gender and sex aren't the same thing.⚧

I disown most of my previous posts

Mega City 5
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Mega City 5 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:25 am

Galloism wrote:You know what's funny?

This reasoning, as I've expressed often to an atheist/social liberal acquaintance of mine, simply does not and cannot work. There is no such thing as "similar questionable situations." Being is analogous. Every concrete instance is unique. There's always these particular policemen dealing with these particular criminals in these particular circumstances. Each and every instance requires a judgment of prudence.

That's what social liberals, and most especially the BLM race baiters, just can't seem to understand.

Earlier, you mentioned your own time as a police officer and the times that you talked people out of brandishing guns.

Fine. That's what those particular circumstances, in your practical judgment, called for.

That's not what every circumstance calls for according to the practical judgment of every police officer.

My stepfather told me about a guy who was walking through a walmart with a rifle that he was thinking about buying (from Wal-mart, of course). Some prankster calls the police and tells thema guy with a loaded rifle threatening people, wanting to play a joke on the guy. Police come in and shoot him as soon as they see him.

Was this the wrong call? No. Based on what they knew, the safest and most reasonable course of action was to make neutralizing the threat as quickly and safely as possible their primary goal.
Last edited by Mega City 5 on Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:31 am, edited 5 times in total.

United States of Conner
Minister

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Conner » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:32 am

Mega City 5 wrote:
Galloism wrote:You know what's funny?

This reasoning, as I've expressed often to an atheist/social liberal acquaintance of mine, simply does not and cannot work. There is no such thing as "similar questionable situations." Being is analogous. Every concrete instance is unique. There's always these particular policemen dealing with these particular criminals in these particular circumstances. Each and every instance requires a judgment of prudence.

That's what social liberals, and most especially the BLM race baiters, just can't seem to understand.

The fact that Eric Garner and Michael Brown were shot dozens of times while unarmed but a white mass shooter was arrested - during said active shooting - without harm is ridiculous, and you know it. Police are issued tasers for a reason.

But they were thugs, so it was okay, right?
Earlier, you mentioned your own time as a police officer and the times that you talked people out of brandishing guns. Fine. That's what those particular circumstances, in your practical judgment, called for.

That's not what every circumstance calls for.

My stepfather told me about a guy who was walking through a walmart with a rifle that he was thinking about buying (from Wal-mart, of course). Some prankster calls the police and tells them about an active shooter (or some such thing), wanting to play a joke on the guy. Police come in and shoot him as soon as they see him.

Was this the wrong call? No. Based on what they knew, the safest and most reasonable course of action was to make neutralizing the threat as quickly and safely as possible their primary goal.

It sure as hell was the wrong call. First, establish that it is an active shooter. Then, attempt to use nonlethal force first.

The police force in this country is not supposed to shoot first and ask questions later, because we are not in the Dredd universe, not are we an authoritarian police state. Move to North Korea if that's what you want.
Guns are tools, not toys.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General