NATION

PASSWORD

Indian village "court" orders 2 sisters gang-raped

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Yedmnrutika Gavr
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Yedmnrutika Gavr » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:13 pm

that is a level of ignorance difficult to pity. its crazy that rape could ever be condoned as righteous or justice but more importantly its a foreign country and i know interventions are demonized :meh: .. on a positive note, india is slowly changing in the human rights department and most would say in an overall good direction at least in urban areas. as far as the us is concerned i hope the trend doesnt continue and if it does i would be willing to protest. there should be no separate religious court and religion in general has no place in a court system imo.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:19 pm

Aethrys wrote:And here we have the latest entry in "Why religion has no place in the judicial system of a civilized nation".

Two things. Firstly, this isn't legally binding. Not only is this act not recognized by the official courts of the federal government or any of the state governments in India, but it's also not a legal thing to do either. The problem is, the Indian police has a very shaky grasp on most of the countryside, hence why these "courts" are still a thing.

Secondly, this wasn't motivated by religion. The caste system is India's social order. People from all faiths can be in any of the castes.

Aethrys wrote:Is the caste system not derived from Hindu teachings? It's existence seems to be a major enabler of these atrocities. The desire to shame the family seems to stem from the need to put down these uppity members of the lowest religious caste, who have a family member that dared to fall in love with a member of a higher religious caste.

The religious aspect of this is now longer as prominent as it once was. It's hard to claim religion when everyone has basically said the caste system is social.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

San Llera
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby San Llera » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:27 pm

Regardless of religion or the legality of this, the people in charge of these courts should be given the harshest punishment they've ever handed out.
There are many places, and one such place is Rushmore.
About San Llera
Check out my Name Generator!

Achievements
World Bowl XXVI 4th Place
Runner Cup 6 3rd Place
Di Bradini Cup 35 4th Place
Qualified for World Cup 74-75
World Bowl XXIX Finalists
Di Bradini Cup 38 Finalists
Nothing else.........yet

Rankings
Ranked 24th in Soccer
Ranked 54th in Hockey
Ranked 23rd in Basketball
Ranked 57th in Baseball (WBC)
Ranked 16th in Baseball (IBS)
Ranked 7th in Football
NS's resident San L- (Sorry, San Lumen)
You can just call me San Llera, that's fine
Proponent of FAScism

Aethrys
Minister

Founded: Apr 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aethrys » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:55 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
Aethrys wrote:And here we have the latest entry in "Why religion has no place in the judicial system of a civilized nation".

Two things. Firstly, this isn't legally binding. Not only is this act not recognized by the official courts of the federal government or any of the state governments in India, but it's also not a legal thing to do either. The problem is, the Indian police has a very shaky grasp on most of the countryside, hence why these "courts" are still a thing.

Secondly, this wasn't motivated by religion. The caste system is India's social order. People from all faiths can be in any of the castes.

Aethrys wrote:Is the caste system not derived from Hindu teachings? It's existence seems to be a major enabler of these atrocities. The desire to shame the family seems to stem from the need to put down these uppity members of the lowest religious caste, who have a family member that dared to fall in love with a member of a higher religious caste.

The religious aspect of this is now longer as prominent as it once was. It's hard to claim religion when everyone has basically said the caste system is social.

Of course it's not legally binding. Which is why the family was able to flee to Delhi and for the moment has only had their home looted in retaliation for not submitting to it. Seriously, what are you guys trying to get at? De jure this should not happen. De facto, it does. What are you trying to argue here?

Religion is cultural. Current prominence aside, it's still the root cause. Hinduism said "Let's group people into strictly defined orders so that we can control them more easily." And so it came to pass. The "Well this is a social/cultural thing" gets rather thin. Is this for some reason only palatable as a "Cultural" happening because religious practices need to be kept above reproach in your view?
"Concentration of power in a political machine is bad; and an Established Church is only a political machine; it was invented for that; it is nursed, cradled, preserved for that; it is an enemy to human liberty, and does no good which it could not better do in a split-up and scattered condition." - Mark Twain

Imperium Sidhicum
Senator

Founded: May 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Sidhicum » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:57 pm

I don't quite see what this has to do with religion, seeing how the incident is clearly considered extreme even by local standards.

Obviously, you can't expect better from a bunch of illiterate peasants. What it really shows is how weak the grasp of the central authority in India really is.
Freedom doesn't mean being able to do as one please, but rather not to do as one doesn't please.

A fool sees religion as the truth. A smart man sees religion as a lie. A ruler sees religion as a useful tool.

The more God in one's mouth, the less in one's heart.

American Imperial Union
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby American Imperial Union » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:59 pm

Disgusting.

Who is going to perforn this rape?

The "judges"?
Sir Frederick North
Secretary of State
Imperial State Deparment
Click here to open an Embassy in our capitol!

Urran
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 22, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Urran » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:07 pm

I fail to see what this has to do with religion. Granted, like many Asian countries, religion, mainly Hinduism, is the beating heart of culture in India. However, this has nothing to do with that. India has always been a nation where the term "women's rights" is a foreign concept, especially in the rural areas. While India is a very religious nation, this isn't a religious act. This stems from the caste social system and lack of women's rights, not Hinduism. As screwed up as it is, for once religion isn't to blame, but a broken social system.
A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it's accepted by a majority.
Proud Coastie
The Blood Ravens wrote: How wonderful. Its like Japan, and 1950''s America had a baby. All the racism of the 50s, and everything else Japanese.

I <3 James May

I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith
❤BITTEN BY THE VAMPIRE QUEEN OF COOKIES❤

Saint-Thor
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 12, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Saint-Thor » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:17 pm

Imperium Sidhicum wrote:Obviously, you can't expect better from a bunch of illiterate peasants. What it really shows is how weak the grasp of the central authority in India really is.

Even then, not all illiterate peasants would abase themselves to such behaviors. Those men are the scum of humanity.

Urran wrote:I fail to see what this has to do with religion. Granted, like many Asian countries, religion, mainly Hinduism, is the beating heart of culture in India. However, this has nothing to do with that. India has always been a nation where the term "women's rights" is a foreign concept, especially in the rural areas. While India is a very religious nation, this isn't a religious act. This stems from the caste social system and lack of women's rights, not Hinduism. As screwed up as it is, for once religion isn't to blame, but a broken social system.

Would you say it's cultural then? Because it's not the first time I read a story like that. It seems to be more frequent than we know, especially in small villages where it doesn't go public.
Last edited by Saint-Thor on Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:19 pm

Urran wrote:I fail to see what this has to do with religion. Granted, like many Asian countries, religion, mainly Hinduism, is the beating heart of culture in India. However, this has nothing to do with that. India has always been a nation where the term "women's rights" is a foreign concept, especially in the rural areas. While India is a very religious nation, this isn't a religious act. This stems from the caste social system and lack of women's rights, not Hinduism. As screwed up as it is, for once religion isn't to blame, but a broken social system.

Hinduism, of course, is massive, and complex, and cannot be neatly described or ascribed.

But you're kidding yourself if you think the cast system and sexism in India don't have anything to do with religion.
Great Sage, Equal of Heaven.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:34 pm

Katganistan wrote:This has little to do with religion, and more to do with a culture where women are still being treated as property and as less worth than a male. They have been ordered raped to shame their family.

What this 'informal council' needs is to, themselves, be subjected to the 'judgment' they blithely passed on others. That, or shot, I don't much care which.

Regardless of the topic at hand, advocating rape/murder is absolutely unacceptable. This is a bad example for the rest of the player base. Considering your spotless record over the last 12+ years, unofficial warning for advocating rape/murder.

Divitaen
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:36 pm

This is the most disgusting and barbaric form of "justice" I have ever heard of. So many things wrong with this. Reminds me of those Indian religious leaders who said the New Delhi rape victim had to take some "responsibility" because it "takes two hands to clap".

Shivers.
Hillary Clinton 2016! Stronger Together!
EU Referendum: Vote Leave = Project Hate #VoteRemain!
Economic Right/Left: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.15
Foreign Policy Non-interventionist/Neo-conservative: -10.00
Cultural Liberal/Conservative: -10.00
Social Democrat:
Cosmopolitan/Nationalistic - 38%
Secular/Fundamentalist - 50%
Visionary/Reactionary - 56%
Anarchistic/Authoritarian - 24%
Communistic/Capitalistic - 58%
Pacifist/Militarist - 39%
Ecological/Anthropocentric - 55%

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:06 pm

Katganistan wrote:This has little to do with religion, and more to do with a culture where women are still being treated as property and as less worth than a male. They have been ordered raped to shame their family.

What this 'informal council' needs is to, themselves, be subjected to the 'judgment' they blithely passed on others. That, or shot, I don't much care which.

Considering that you are a mod, and you are advocating rape/murder as punishment....don't you think that this sets a bad example for everyone else?

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:13 pm

:meh:
The Orson Empire wrote:

Considering that you are a mod, and you are advocating rape/murder as punishment....don't you think that this sets a bad example for everyone else?

^^^^^^^
viewtopic.php?p=25835183#p25835183
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:21 pm

Benuty wrote:Nightkill might be able to offer some interesting perspective considering you know they happen to be in India.

This is illegal, immoral, monstrous and those responsible for this order should be dealt with harshly as we work to nurture women's rights and feminism.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:24 pm

The Supreme Court have previously ruled that the village court’s decrees are not legally binding, but that hasn’t fully eliminated the system as such attitudes are quite entrenched in these areas. It's not the fault of religion - it is poor education. At independence, we had 12% literacy. Now, I believe it's 75%. But major progress must be made still.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:25 pm

Koopaville wrote:What the fuck is this. Hopefully, it's not true...oh wait. Well, now I know to never to let my younger sister to go rural India.

Same reason I ask my siblings to stay out of urban America, you know. They might get shot. There's a mass shooting a day, just can't be risked.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:28 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:

Hinduism, of course, is massive, and complex, and cannot be neatly described or ascribed.

But you're kidding yourself if you think the cast system and sexism in India don't have anything to do with religion.

It's quite deeply complicated. Religion and how it is interpreted does play a role - however, I firmly believe that the bigger issue is a lack of education and feminist values in the county and specifically these areas. Religion can be a force for good when it is combined with these values.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:29 pm

This really makes me wish I was just a little less stringent about when I think executions are appropriate.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:32 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:This really makes me wish I was just a little less stringent about when I think executions are appropriate.

Indian prisons are horrific and would be a far worse fate.

Which, admittedly, is a bad thing since prisons should focus on rehabilitation.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

American Imperial Union
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby American Imperial Union » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:37 pm

Luna Amore wrote:

Regardless of the topic at hand, advocating rape/murder is absolutely unacceptable. This is a bad example for the rest of the player base. Considering your spotless record over the last 12+ years, unofficial warning for advocating rape/murder.

That's surprising. Makes me wonder if there is anybody theoretically above the rules. Max, Maybe?
Sir Frederick North
Secretary of State
Imperial State Deparment

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:41 pm

lol@ mods getting to do the same thing I got warned for in the past.

Though I totally agree with what Kat said, though the hypocrisy is astounding.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

American Imperial Union
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby American Imperial Union » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:42 pm

Page wrote:lol@ mods getting to do the same thing I got warned for in the past.

Though I totally agree with what Kat said, though the hypocrisy is astounding.

No need to gloat though.
Sir Frederick North
Secretary of State
Imperial State Deparment

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:43 pm

Aethrys wrote:Religion is cultural. Current prominence aside, it's still the root cause. Hinduism said "Let's group people into strictly defined orders so that we can control them more easily." And so it came to pass. The "Well this is a social/cultural thing" gets rather thin. Is this for some reason only palatable as a "Cultural" happening because religious practices need to be kept above reproach in your view?

It's not but trying to make something an argument about religion when it isn't is being dishonest.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

The Two Jerseys
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Two Jerseys » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:44 pm

There's no way that Manisdog can blame this on the British, they'd have hanged that "court" in the blink of an eye.
"The Duke of Texas" is too formal for regular use. Just call me "Your Grace".
"If I would like to watch goodness, sanity, God and logic being fucked I would watch Japanese porn." -Nightkill the Emperor
"This thread makes me wish I was a moron so that I wouldn't have to comprehend how stupid the topic is." -The Empire of Pretantia
Head of State: HM King Louis
Head of Government: The Rt. Hon. James O'Dell MP, Prime Minister
Ambassador to the World Assembly: HE Sir John Ross "J.R." Ewing II, Bt.
Join Excalibur Squadron. We're Commandos who fly Spitfires. Chicks dig Commandos who fly Spitfires.

American Imperial Union
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby American Imperial Union » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:46 pm

The Two Jerseys wrote:There's no way that Manisdog can blame this on the British, they'd have hanged that "court" in the blink of an eye.

I don't think Colonialism was all that bad. It helped reign in the more...barbaric elements of these societies.
Sir Frederick North
Secretary of State
Imperial State Deparment

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General