NATION

PASSWORD

Does Foreign Aid to Africans Work?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Yes, it does work. Look at how aid has helped fight Malaria, etc.
13%
No, it does not work due to misuse of the funds by the government, corruption, etc.
56%
No, it just doesn't work
24%
Neutral
7%

Total votes : 68

Dragvania
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Dragvania » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:40 pm

I don't think it works. Why, because food and money alone doesn't teach them how To make it on their own and the ones that do learn things move to a better place. African land is nothing but wastes compared to the world (yeah there are nice spots here and there but look at north and South America and tell me Africa could ever be that prosperous land wise.) money starts at the foundation and if your foundation is poor then your income will also be poor.

You can only be as strong as your weakest link.

Nelson R Mandela
Envoy

Founded: Jun 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nelson R Mandela » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:43 pm

Dragvania wrote:I don't think it works. Why, because food and money alone doesn't teach them how To make it on their own and the ones that do learn things move to a better place. African land is nothing but wastes compared to the world (yeah there are nice spots here and there but look at north and South America and tell me Africa could ever be that prosperous land wise.) money starts at the foundation and if your foundation is poor then your income will also be poor.

I'm sorry, but you are really uninformed...
Don't hesitate to telegram me any questions.

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:43 pm

Parhe wrote:
The Sotoan Union wrote:Was the rest of the world property of another nation, sometimes not even 60 years ago?

Many parts were. Imperialism is bad, I hate it, but a country can't just blame it's problems on what happened decades ago.

It can blame quite a few of its problems on it. Some of the issues that have been repeated in this thread such as corruption and debt largely trace back to colonialism.

And when the poster said the rest of the world was doing fine on its own, I'm sure he meant developed nations and not the countries that were colonized and have problems with corruption and debt as well as other things.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:43 pm

Ashworth-Attwater wrote:It really depends. Humanitarian aid has done wonders for Africa and the developing world in general but neocolonialism masqueraded as aid (e.g. France's relationship with Françafrique) has not.

Essentially this. It has done a lot of benefits, but at the same time, there are some drawbacks.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

United States Kingdom
Minister

Founded: Jun 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United States Kingdom » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:50 pm

Dragvania wrote:I don't think it works. Why, because food and money alone doesn't teach them how To make it on their own and the ones that do learn things move to a better place. African land is nothing but wastes compared to the world (yeah there are nice spots here and there but look at north and South America and tell me Africa could ever be that prosperous land wise.) money starts at the foundation and if your foundation is poor then your income will also be poor.

You area ware that the DRC has trillions worth in mineral resources, Somalia(or Somaliland cant remember) has hundreds of billions worth in oil,and South Africa is rich in minerals such as uranium.

You really don't know anything about Africa do you?

United States Kingdom
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United States Kingdom » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:53 pm

Parhe wrote:
The Sotoan Union wrote:Was the rest of the world property of another nation, sometimes not even 60 years ago?

Many parts were. Imperialism is bad, I hate it, but a country can't just blame it's problems on what happened decades ago.

Your right, we shouldn't say that everything that has happened in Africa is the Europeans fault. Nevertheless, we can actually blame a lot of the problems, such as tribalism, etc. Additionally, a lot of European governments built infastructure in Africa with the aim of extracting those minerals that were in Africa to Europe. The Rwandan Genocide is also arguably part of Europe's fault, due to the tribalism that they installed in Africa.

Parhe
Powerbroker

Founded: May 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Parhe » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:53 pm

The Sotoan Union wrote:
Parhe wrote:Many parts were. Imperialism is bad, I hate it, but a country can't just blame it's problems on what happened decades ago.

It can blame quite a few of its problems on it. Some of the issues that have been repeated in this thread such as corruption and debt largely trace back to colonialism.

And when the poster said the rest of the world was doing fine on its own, I'm sure he meant developed nations and not the countries that were colonized and have problems with corruption and debt as well as other things.

I agree imperialism is The root of many problems. I blame it and Imperial Japan for the division of Korea (and as a result the suffering of the North Koreans), lose of cultural aspects, destruction of historic sites, and some of the racism in Korea.

Corruption and debt, though, aren't exclusive to non developed or former colonial nations. Countries like Italy, Portugal, and Spain are also noted as being corrupt by many sources. Furthermore, there are many wealthy nations that didn't employ imperialism to become wealthy, such as Canada, Chile, New Zealand, Switzerland, Poland, Estonia, Croatia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, the UAE, Qatar, and the Bahamas, among others. Developed nations are hardly a club of former empires.
Hey, it is Parhe :D I am always open to telegrams.
I know it is a Work-In-Progress, but I would love it if y'all looked at my new factbook and gave me some feedback!

BRING BACK THE ICE CLIMBERS

Parhe
Powerbroker

Founded: May 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Parhe » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:58 pm

United States Kingdom wrote:
Parhe wrote:Many parts were. Imperialism is bad, I hate it, but a country can't just blame it's problems on what happened decades ago.

Your right, we shouldn't say that everything that has happened in Africa is the Europeans fault. Nevertheless, we can actually blame a lot of the problems, such as tribalism, etc. Additionally, a lot of European governments built infastructure in Africa with the aim of extracting those minerals that were in Africa to Europe. The Rwandan Genocide is also arguably part of Europe's fault, due to the tribalism that they installed in Africa.

Tribalism is a large issue. I wish the countries had just divided following independence to prevent such issues. Maybe they would of had people with desires for power not been in charge. I do blame many of the former empires for propping up such leaders.
Hey, it is Parhe :D I am always open to telegrams.
I know it is a Work-In-Progress, but I would love it if y'all looked at my new factbook and gave me some feedback!

BRING BACK THE ICE CLIMBERS

Nelson R Mandela
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Nelson R Mandela » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:01 pm

You area ware that the DRC has trillions worth in mineral resources, Somalia(or Somaliland cant remember) has hundreds of billions worth in oil,and South Africa is rich in minerals such as uranium.

It's funny they say North America and south America have the more richer lands, while those two continents are one of the many who seek to Africa to make deals with its resources.

Nelson R Mandela
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Nelson R Mandela » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:04 pm

In regards to tribalism it's the Rwandans who mostly struggle with tribal stability. Tribalism is not really an issue in a lot of African countries today.

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:05 pm

Parhe wrote:
The Sotoan Union wrote:It can blame quite a few of its problems on it. Some of the issues that have been repeated in this thread such as corruption and debt largely trace back to colonialism.

I agree imperialism is The root of many problems. I blame it and Imperial Japan for the division of Korea (and as a result the suffering of the North Koreans), lose of cultural aspects, destruction of historic sites, and some of the racism in Korea.

Corruption and debt, though, aren't exclusive to non developed or former colonial nations. Countries like Italy, Portugal, and Spain are also noted as being corrupt by many sources. Furthermore, there are many wealthy nations that didn't employ imperialism to become wealthy, such as Canada, Chile, New Zealand, Switzerland, Poland, Estonia, Croatia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, the UAE, Qatar, and the Bahamas, among others. Developed nations are hardly a club of former empires.

I'm not saying all corruption and debt comes from colonialism. I'm saying colonialism is responsible for the corruption and debt in many African countries. It's complicated. Many countries have problems from the actions of their leaders immediately following independence for example, so it's sometimes indirectly related. But it is largely responsible.

I wasn't saying all developed nations had empires either.

Liberty and Linguistics
Senator

Founded: Jan 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberty and Linguistics » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:07 pm

Eh, to a lower extent than some might want to believe. This isn't exclusive to any continent. Foreign aid to poorer, corrupt countries, honestly solves a few things, but much of that money is either wasted on fancy, failed state projects, or it goes straight into the money of greedy government officials, who happen to be more corrupt than Rod Blagojevich.

Ideally, the governments of African countries need to take responsibility, liberalize the markets, root out corruption, and pave a path for opportunity. Botswana has done this, and even Nigeria is beginning to. Let's hope the rest of Sub Sahara Africa will follow suit.
I am: Cynic, Depressive, Junior in HS, Arizonan, Sarcastic, Wannabe Psychologist, Lover of Cinema and Rum.

Ziggy played guitar....
For ISIS | On Israel and its settlements | Flat Taxes are beneficial for all | OOC, Baby | Probably Accurate.

United States Kingdom
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United States Kingdom » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:07 pm

Parhe wrote:
United States Kingdom wrote:Your right, we shouldn't say that everything that has happened in Africa is the Europeans fault. Nevertheless, we can actually blame a lot of the problems, such as tribalism, etc. Additionally, a lot of European governments built infastructure in Africa with the aim of extracting those minerals that were in Africa to Europe. The Rwandan Genocide is also arguably part of Europe's fault, due to the tribalism that they installed in Africa.

Tribalism is a large issue. I wish the countries had just divided following independence to prevent such issues. Maybe they would of had people with desires for power not been in charge. I do blame many of the former empires for propping up such leaders.

Dividing wouldn't solve the issue. Standing united and working together will solve the issue.

Nelson R Mandela wrote:
United States Kingdom wrote:You area ware that the DRC has trillions worth in mineral resources, Somalia(or Somaliland cant remember) has hundreds of billions worth in oil,and South Africa is rich in minerals such as uranium.

It's funny they say North America and south America have the more richer lands, while those two continents are one of the many who seek to Africa to make deals with its resources.

I know right. It is laughable.

Nelson R Mandela wrote:
United States Kingdom wrote:Your right, we shouldn't say that everything that has happened in Africa is the Europeans fault. Nevertheless, we can actually blame a lot of the problems, such as tribalism, etc. Additionally, a lot of European governments built infastructure in Africa with the aim of extracting those minerals that were in Africa to Europe. The Rwandan Genocide is also arguably part of Europe's fault, due to the tribalism that they installed in Africa.

In regards to tribalism it's the Rwandans who mostly struggle with tribal stability. Tribalism is not really an issue in a lot of African countries today.

Yeah, the Rwandans certainly do, but the Europeans installed the tribal system in Rwanda that ultimately lead to what occurred. In regards to your second statement, it is certainly an issue. Somalia's government, while having made remarkable progress in fighting Al-Shabaab, and becoming more stable has a government that has been accussed of favoring various tribes in Somalia. The 2008 violence in Kenya, one of the largest economies in Africa, was ultimately because the politicians manipulated the tribal system that was there.

United States Kingdom
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United States Kingdom » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:08 pm

Liberty and Linguistics wrote:Eh, to a lower extent than some might want to believe. This isn't exclusive to any continent. Foreign aid to poorer, corrupt countries, honestly solves a few things, but much of that money is either wasted on fancy, failed state projects, or it goes straight into the money of greedy government officials, who happen to be more corrupt than Rod Blagojevich.

Ideally, the governments of African countries need to take responsibility, liberalize the markets, root out corruption, and pave a path for opportunity. Botswana has done this, and even Nigeria is beginning to. Let's hope the rest of Sub Sahara Africa will follow suit.

Really? Nigeria has started to do this?

Nelson R Mandela
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Nelson R Mandela » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:11 pm

Parhe wrote:Tribalism is a large issue. I wish the countries had just divided following independence to prevent such issues. Maybe they would of had people with desires for power not been in charge. I do blame many of the former empires for propping up such leaders.

Dividing wouldn't solve the issue. Standing united and working together will solve the issue.

Nelson R Mandela wrote:It's funny they say North America and south America have the more richer lands, while those two continents are one of the many who seek to Africa to make deals with its resources.

I know right. It is laughable.

Nelson R Mandela wrote:In regards to tribalism it's the Rwandans who mostly struggle with tribal stability. Tribalism is not really an issue in a lot of African countries today.

Yeah, the Rwandans certainly do, but the Europeans installed the tribal system in Rwanda that ultimately lead to what occurred. In regards to your second statement, it is certainly an issue. Somalia's government, while having made remarkable progress in fighting Al-Shabaab, and becoming more stable has a government that has been accussed of favoring various tribes in Somalia. The 2008 violence in Kenya, one of the largest economies in Africa, was ultimately because the politicians manipulated the tribal system that was there.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to read up more on it.

The Conez Imperium
Minister

Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:13 pm

Overall I think it does more good than harm.
Salut tout le monde, c'est moi !

Nelson R Mandela
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Nelson R Mandela » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:15 pm

The Conez Imperium wrote:Overall I think it does more good than harm.

For the leaders to say the least.

The Conez Imperium
Minister

Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:24 pm

Nelson R Mandela wrote:
The Conez Imperium wrote:Overall I think it does more good than harm.

For the leaders to say the least.

But some foreign aid does do good. Sure its not the most efficient thing; some stereotypical African dictator is going to pocket the money but for the women and children in the Dadaab refugee center, I'm sure its better than the 'wilderness' albeit Dadaab is overflowing.
Salut tout le monde, c'est moi !

Daburuetchi
Minister

Founded: Sep 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Daburuetchi » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:29 pm

Thomas Sankara once said "Just look into your plates when you eat: you see the improved corn, rice or millet this is imperialism" The fact of the matter is western aid isn't designed to "work" it's a trap. As economist John Perry states in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CofEbxtIxI foreign aid from imperialist countries is really about robbing nation's ability to self determination so that they remain under imperialist spheres of influence. We saw in the collapse of Yugoslavia and Romania for instance, what proceeded their collapse was a massive injection of foriegn capital which they ultimately could not pay off. Foreign aid to African countries only really benefit ultimately benefit only a small section of the population since usually this aid is being used not to improve the general welfare of the people but to serve imperialism's interest. The USAID for instance in the 80s maintained a "a close working relationship with the CIA, and Agency officers often operated abroad under USAID cover" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... _criticism). So really to expect foriegn aid from the west to be of benefit to the masses of Africa is naive since the west has a vested interest in keeping Africa under neocolonialist rule. Even if the aid does do some good such as in the case with vaccinations the fact of the matter is if the countries of Africa weren't being exploited by multinational corporations and they wouldn't need aid in the first place.
Last edited by Daburuetchi on Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Socialist Tera
Senator

Founded: Dec 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Socialist Tera » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:53 am

Daburuetchi wrote:Thomas Sankara once said "Just look into your plates when you eat: you see the improved corn, rice or millet this is imperialism" The fact of the matter is western aid isn't designed to "work" it's a trap. As economist John Perry states in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CofEbxtIxI foreign aid from imperialist countries is really about robbing nation's ability to self determination so that they remain under imperialist spheres of influence. We saw in the collapse of Yugoslavia and Romania for instance, what proceeded their collapse was a massive injection of foriegn capital which they ultimately could not pay off. Foreign aid to African countries only really benefit ultimately benefit only a small section of the population since usually this aid is being used not to improve the general welfare of the people but to serve imperialism's interest. The USAID for instance in the 80s maintained a "a close working relationship with the CIA, and Agency officers often operated abroad under USAID cover" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... _criticism). So really to expect foriegn aid from the west to be of benefit to the masses of Africa is naive since the west has a vested interest in keeping Africa under neocolonialist rule. Even if the aid does do some good such as in the case with vaccinations the fact of the matter is if the countries of Africa weren't being exploited by multinational corporations and they wouldn't need aid in the first place.

+1 Very good post.
Theistic Satanist, Anarchist, Survivalist, eco-socialist. ex-tankie.

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:26 am

There is a perception among many that Africa has not progressed or developed since the independence of its countries.

This is not true, and aid has helped African countries to increase their life expectancies, literacy rates, and the amount of infrastructure on the continent. Perhaps economic advancement has not been as rapid as many have hoped, but economic development was often hard to achieve when much of the continent was embroiled in wars (including civil wars) until recently.

Foreign aid was instrumental to South Korea's industrialization and modernization. Perhaps it can argued, though, that South Korea was helped by the fact that it had to perform well economically due to the existence of a rival government to the north, and was not particularly torn apart by ethnic issues caused by colonialism present in many parts of Africa.

However, the ROK's success shows that foreign aid, when successfully utilized, can really help to develop and improve a country.
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

United States Kingdom
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United States Kingdom » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:33 am

Daburuetchi wrote:Thomas Sankara once said "Just look into your plates when you eat: you see the improved corn, rice or millet this is imperialism" The fact of the matter is western aid isn't designed to "work" it's a trap. As economist John Perry states in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CofEbxtIxI foreign aid from imperialist countries is really about robbing nation's ability to self determination so that they remain under imperialist spheres of influence. We saw in the collapse of Yugoslavia and Romania for instance, what proceeded their collapse was a massive injection of foriegn capital which they ultimately could not pay off. Foreign aid to African countries only really benefit ultimately benefit only a small section of the population since usually this aid is being used not to improve the general welfare of the people but to serve imperialism's interest. The USAID for instance in the 80s maintained a "a close working relationship with the CIA, and Agency officers often operated abroad under USAID cover" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... _criticism). So really to expect foriegn aid from the west to be of benefit to the masses of Africa is naive since the west has a vested interest in keeping Africa under neocolonialist rule. Even if the aid does do some good such as in the case with vaccinations the fact of the matter is if the countries of Africa weren't being exploited by multinational corporations and they wouldn't need aid in the first place.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:38 am

Short answer: Yes and no.
Hellenic Polytheist, Socialist

Nelson R Mandela
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Nelson R Mandela » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:11 am

I think you have won NSG, good comrade. Very well said and put.

The Mediterranean Republic
Envoy

Founded: Jun 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Mediterranean Republic » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:13 am

It could possibly work if corrupt governments didn't just use the funds for themselves. The money and resources need to get to the people.
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL UNION
The Mediterranean Republic is a nonaligned empire-like Emirate of like minded nationalists. We are pro: 2 state solution, LGBT, abortion and peace. Anti: 3rd wave feminist, Nazism, Zionist extremism, KKK, Islamist and black nationalist.

PFQ TV: http://worldtv.com

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General