NATION

PASSWORD

Windows 10 is upon us!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:16 am

Grenartia wrote:
Hirota wrote:I've been a beta tester since day one on three of my four devices, and I've never had an issue with anything apart from Cortana.

The only reason I hadn't upgraded the fourth was because that's my media center PC and I used WMC for my video content. I'm transitioning to Kodi and/or Emby at the moment.

So, you haven't experienced any compatibility issues?

Are there any particular programs that you're concerned about?
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:21 am

Ainin wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
So, you haven't experienced any compatibility issues?

Are there any particular programs that you're concerned about?

Firefox and my addons for that (including NS++), Steam and my games (including KSP (and mods), ME 1 and 2, etc.), my antivirus (McAfee), Skype, etc.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Slenderman The CreepyPasta King
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

on my xbox

Postby Slenderman The CreepyPasta King » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:22 am

computers upgrading right now!
☻/
/▌ The slenderman is always watching.
/ \
http://www.youtube.com/user/ClubPenguinajl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSTlbpf4Dxo
https://youtu.be/f_GC8wiEuXo
https://youtu.be/mQfcFjzWuX8
Check out my YouTube channel! Some Links are above! ^

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:25 am

Desktop is finally upgrading now.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:32 am

Grenartia wrote:
Ainin wrote:Are there any particular programs that you're concerned about?

Firefox and my addons for that (including NS++), Steam and my games (including KSP (and mods), ME 1 and 2, etc.), my antivirus (McAfee), Skype, etc.

Firefox 39 and NS++ work fine and so does Steam. I don't think your games should have many problems considering that most Steam games are built on the .NET framework and it's the same as it's always been. Skype has a few problems with pinning to the taskbar for some reason, but the program itself works ok. Then again, this was just at a cursory glance.

Yeah, it's probably for the best that you wait a week and see what other people say about whether Windows 10 plays nice with their programs.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:10 pm

Dooom35796821595 wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:I'll update when it lets me. Didn't have a problem with 7. Didn't have a problem with 8 or 8.1. I'm sure 10 will be fine.

Don't you think your pushing your luck? :p

What can I say, I'm a risk taker!

Jaxukuk
Envoy

Founded: Jan 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Jaxukuk » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:24 pm

Time to vent my rage.

For the last FIVE HOURS, I've been trying to get Windows Update to work. As we all know, when Update goes wrong, there's no getting it right without spending days on end trying to fix it. First of all, it refused to tell me that it was downloading Win10. Checking the logs told me it was. Then, at last it told me that I had a big update: must be Win10, right? This took about two whole hours to download and install. Then, right at the end of the installation I get this:

'The update failed.'

That's it. No reason as to why exactly it failed, not even an error code. Just a huge waste of my time. It doesn't help that the desktop interface for Update on my computer is corrupted, so I have to use the stupidly simplified 'modern' version in the settings app.

I hope that Windows 10 fixes update once and for all. How hard can it be to make a client that fetches the relevant package for you from MS's servers and installs it?

apt-get never let me down like this, let me tell you.

If I had a pound for every time Update has failed me, I can safely say I'd be running a Mac.

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Grand Britannia » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:26 pm

Waiting on a 4k Windows 10-tan wallpaper to go with it before installing.
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

Slenderman The CreepyPasta King
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Slenderman The CreepyPasta King » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:44 pm

Grand Britannia wrote:Waiting on a 4k Windows 10-tan wallpaper to go with it before installing.

i'm using windows 10 right now :D
☻/
/▌ The slenderman is always watching.
/ \
http://www.youtube.com/user/ClubPenguinajl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSTlbpf4Dxo
https://youtu.be/f_GC8wiEuXo
https://youtu.be/mQfcFjzWuX8
Check out my YouTube channel! Some Links are above! ^

Jaxukuk
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Jaxukuk » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:02 pm

Slenderman The CreepyPasta King wrote:
Grand Britannia wrote:Waiting on a 4k Windows 10-tan wallpaper to go with it before installing.

i'm using windows 10 right now :D

Lucky you…

I'm so frustrated. The plan was to get it all installed by today, and have a nice new clean computer free of bugs. Nope. WU got in the way. Like always.

Iwassoclose
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Iwassoclose » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:03 pm

I downloaded and installed it earlier. Spent some time personalizing it and now its working just as fine or even better as the 7 I had.

My only problem is when I open up the task manager, I see the search process running. If someone can tell me how to fix that (remove it) that would be most appreciated.

There are also a few other process that has me scratching my head. The Service Host, there are like a dozen of them that I have never seen in the previous one.
Last edited by Iwassoclose on Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaxukuk
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Jaxukuk » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:05 pm

Iwassoclose wrote:I downloaded and installed it earlier. Spent some time personalizing it and now its working just as fine or even better as the 7 I had.

My only problem is when I open up the task bar, I see the search process running. If someone can tell me how to fix that (remove it) that would be most appreciated.

If I remember from the Insider builds, you have to right-click the taskbar and uncheck something along the lines of 'display search icon in taskbar'. Something like that.

Jaxukuk
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Jaxukuk » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:07 pm

Iwassoclose wrote:I downloaded and installed it earlier. Spent some time personalizing it and now its working just as fine or even better as the 7 I had.

My only problem is when I open up the task manager, I see the search process running. If someone can tell me how to fix that (remove it) that would be most appreciated.

There are also a few other process that has me scratching my head. The Service Host, there are like a dozen of them that I have never seen in the previous one.

Oh, yeah. I think they changed the way Windows manages services in Windows 8. So you end up seeing svchost a lot more.

Iwassoclose
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Iwassoclose » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:08 pm

Jaxukuk wrote:

My only problem is when I open up the task bar, I see the search process running. If someone can tell me how to fix that (remove it) that would be most appreciated.

If I remember from the Insider builds, you have to right-click the taskbar and uncheck something along the lines of 'display search icon in taskbar'. Something like that.

No, its not the icon. Sorry, I edited it from task bar to manager on my previous post.

Jaxukuk
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Jaxukuk » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:11 pm

Iwassoclose wrote:No, its not the icon. Sorry, I edited it from task bar to manager on my previous post.

Oh, so you did. :P Well, in that case, I don't know. Sorry. Unfortunately I don't have an installation to fiddle about with yet… Maybe it's just busy indexing all the new files.
Last edited by Jaxukuk on Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iwassoclose
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Iwassoclose » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:11 pm

Jaxukuk wrote:

Oh, yeah. I think they changed the way Windows manages services in Windows 8. So you end up seeing svchost a lot more.

I see, there are also way more other processes running in the background. So I am kind of curious if it will eventually slow me down.

Iwassoclose
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Iwassoclose » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:15 pm

Been turning off tons of options in the settings hah

Jaxukuk
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Jaxukuk » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:15 pm

Iwassoclose wrote:I see, there are also way more other processes running in the background. So I am kind of curious if it will eventually slow me down.

It shouldn't do. In fact, it should have quite the contrary effect: more svchost = more DLLs = fewer executables = a more stable system.
But I know what you mean. All those processes do look rather messy.

Togeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Togeria » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:17 pm

I just finished installing windows 10.
I love telegrams please by all means telegram me!

DEFCON LEVELS
[1] peace
2 hostilities
3engaged conflicts
4War
Maldaria- Victory
GSW-Victory
Revolution in Sharphats-Stalemates
2nd Russian civil war-indecisive
Parazal Civil War-Support wasn't active militarily
I am deeply sorry for the attacks on your nations capital, and pray for those affected by the attacks both in Paris and throughout France. As a fellow Muslim I apologize deeply and in place of those who use our religion to commit such an heinous crime. I pray for France, for Paris, and for all those affected.

Iwassoclose
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Iwassoclose » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:18 pm

Jaxukuk wrote:
Iwassoclose wrote:I see, there are also way more other processes running in the background. So I am kind of curious if it will eventually slow me down.

It shouldn't do. In fact, it should have quite the contrary effect: more svchost = more DLLs = fewer executables = a more stable system.
But I know what you mean. All those processes do look rather messy.

I see, that is comforting. Thanks man :P

Jaxukuk
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Jaxukuk » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:18 pm

Togeria wrote:I just finished installing windows 10.

AAARGGGH! NO! I WANT IT TOO!

The Alexanderians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alexanderians » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:20 pm

Jaxukuk wrote:Tomorrow's a big day in the OS world: Windows 10 is being released.
As a member of the Insider Programme, I'm really excited to see what Microsoft's final, finished, polished product will be like.
It's already been released in parts of Asia, where it's tomorrow already.

Will you be upgrading?
What are your hopes for the new OS?
Are you part of the Insider Programme?
Does anyone live in Asia and have it already?

I think that W10 is going to be great. I have really high hopes for it. It looks great, and promises good performance. I guess I'll have to wait to find out.

All I can say is about damn time.
Galloism wrote:Or we can go with feminism doesn't exist. We all imagined it. Collectively.
You can't fight the friction
Women belong in the kitchen
Men belong in the kitchen
Everyone belongs in the kitchen
Kitchen has food
I have brought dishonor to my gaming clan
Achesia wrote:Threads like this is why I need to stop coming to NSG....

Marethian Lupanar of Teladre wrote:A bright and cheerful mountain village of chapel-goers~

The Archregimancy wrote:
Hagia Sophia is best church.

Major-Tom wrote:Why am I full of apathy?

I'm just here to be the peanut gallery
уσυ нανєи'т gσт тнє fυℓℓ єffє¢т

Togeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Togeria » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:20 pm

It looks pretty nice I won't lie. Chrome needs to update their logo though the one for IE looks just so pretty now.
I love telegrams please by all means telegram me!

DEFCON LEVELS
[1] peace
2 hostilities
3engaged conflicts
4War
Maldaria- Victory
GSW-Victory
Revolution in Sharphats-Stalemates
2nd Russian civil war-indecisive
Parazal Civil War-Support wasn't active militarily
I am deeply sorry for the attacks on your nations capital, and pray for those affected by the attacks both in Paris and throughout France. As a fellow Muslim I apologize deeply and in place of those who use our religion to commit such an heinous crime. I pray for France, for Paris, and for all those affected.

Jaxukuk
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Jaxukuk » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:22 pm

Togeria wrote:It looks pretty nice I won't lie. Chrome needs to update their logo though the one for IE looks just so pretty now.

The visual updates are what I'm most looking forward to.

Iwassoclose
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Iwassoclose » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:22 pm

I was going to use Edge, their new browser but I am too attached to FF.
Last edited by Iwassoclose on Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General