NATION

PASSWORD

Perry: We Should Allow Guns in Theaters

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:26 pm

New Reutlingen wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:True. However, as thing stand, you have a choice: only criminals having guns in theaters, or having multiple law-abiding carriers shooting in a dark, panicked theater.

The idea that people are carrying weapons would be a deterrent for a shooting itself, no? Although, I do see the point that you're making. Provided that some one was brave enough to shoot up a theater, it'd be a total mess. Worse than they are now.

There is the deterrent factor to consider, yes.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:31 pm

New Reutlingen wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:A great deal of gun-control has been about restricting the rights of minorities to bear arms. Look at California: open carry was legal, and not restricted until the Black Panters started openly carrying guns during the civil rights movement.

And before you start screaming "source" give me a minute to look it up.

The Black Panthers were in the 60's and 70's, not in 2015. I doubt that the modern idea of gun control is to keep the weapons out of the hands of minorities.

Really? At least one of the biggest Gun Control Morons begs to differ.
Last edited by Big Jim P on Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:33 pm

New Reutlingen wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:A great deal of gun-control has been about restricting the rights of minorities to bear arms. Look at California: open carry was legal, and not restricted until the Black Panters started openly carrying guns during the civil rights movement.

And before you start screaming "source" give me a minute to look it up.

The Black Panthers were in the 60's and 70's, not in 2015. I doubt that the modern idea of gun control is to keep the weapons out of the hands of minorities.

That may not be the 'idea' behind it (insofar as there is a solid 'idea' behind it and that the real-world effects can be separated from its institution), but it is a result.

Gun-control policies tend to form a consistent 'higher cost of access and/or higher cost of use' formula (with the endpoint in some cases of outright bans of some firearms where the 'cost of access' is effectively infinite). They also tend to be policies instituted in cities (NYC, Chicago, DC, etc.). Whether deliberately or not, gun-control often remains a de facto targeting of poor minorities meant, explicitly, to keep firearms out of their hands. It just isn't discussed that way (usually) by those proposing or advocating such policies. Either because it wouldn't be politically viable or because of simple ignorance as to what their programs effects are (I usually attribute it to the latter as a form of benefit-of-the-doubt, but I grow less sure that's justified every year it feels like...See Jim's link above for the 'why' of that feeling).

As to my claim of population density and crime correlation, I'm having (surprisngly) more trouble finding a lot of research on the topic (I expected there to be a lot. Perhaps I'm just not finding it or it isn't as thoroughly studied as I thought). There is this. I mainly mentioned it because I've seen it said elsewhere, I don't know the specific data (or at least, I don't have it on hand and am presently too lazy to dig through google for it) though that justifies it.
Last edited by Occupied Deutschland on Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:40 pm

Why expecting people to always be armed is inherently a bad idea

I understand that a vast portion of this forum do not leave the house albeit for short trips to and from school, usually cocooned in the safety of their parents minivan, however surely it can be realized that there are a lot of loose fucks in the wider community. Loose fucks who tend to use their firearms in all sorts of inappropriate situations.

This car cut me off? I better chase him and get in his face. If he hits me, I'll just shoot him.
This guy looked at my wife? Not on my watch. If he hits me back, I'll just shoot him.
This guy diss'd me in front of my boys? Fuck that. I'll just shoot him.

Repeat ad infinitum
Parhe on my Asian-ness.
Parhe wrote:Guess what, maybe you don't know what it is like to be Asian.

ayy lmao

Jamzmania
Senator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamzmania » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:07 pm

Vitaphone Racing wrote:Why expecting people to always be armed is inherently a bad idea

I understand that a vast portion of this forum do not leave the house albeit for short trips to and from school, usually cocooned in the safety of their parents minivan, however surely it can be realized that there are a lot of loose fucks in the wider community. Loose fucks who tend to use their firearms in all sorts of inappropriate situations.

This car cut me off? I better chase him and get in his face. If he hits me, I'll just shoot him.
This guy looked at my wife? Not on my watch. If he hits me back, I'll just shoot him.

Repeat ad infinitum

Gun control does not stop the mentally deranged from attacking people.
The Alexanderians wrote:"Fear no man or woman,
No matter what their size.
Call upon me,
And I will equalize."

-Engraved on the side of my M1911 .45

New Grestin
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Grestin » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:17 pm

And this man wants to be President.

Be afraid, friends. Be very very afraid.
Let’s not dwell on our corpse strewn past. Let’s celebrate our corpse strewn future!
Head Bartender for The Pub | The Para-Verse | Writing Advice from a Pretentious Jerk | I write stuff | Arbitrary Political Numbers
Kentucky Fried Land wrote:I should have known Grestin was Christopher Walken the whole time.
ThePub wrote:New Grestin: "I will always choose the aborable lesbians over an entire town."
Imperial Idaho wrote:And with 1-2 sentences Grestin has declared war on the national pride of Canada.
- Best Worldbuilding - 2016 (Community Choice)
- Best Horror/Thriller RP for THE ZONE - 2016 (Community Choice)

Egoman
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Egoman » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:18 pm

Jamzmania wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:Why expecting people to always be armed is inherently a bad idea

Repeat ad infinitum

Gun control does not stop the mentally deranged from attacking people.

Murder laws don't stop people from murdering people either.

Jamzmania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jamzmania » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:20 pm

New Grestin wrote:And this man wants to be President.

"Conservative candidate supports conservative ideas! Flee!"
Call upon me,
And I will equalize."

Egoman
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Egoman » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:22 pm

Jamzmania wrote:

Yeah, kinda. Cuz conservatism sucks.

New Grestin
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Grestin » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:28 pm

Jamzmania wrote:

It's not like we just had another major shooting.

Perry being astonishingly tone deaf was really my issue, and I'd like my President to actually pay attention to the news, thanks.
Let’s not dwell on our corpse strewn past. Let’s celebrate our corpse strewn future!
Head Bartender for The Pub | The Para-Verse | Writing Advice from a Pretentious Jerk | I write stuff | Arbitrary Political Numbers
Kentucky Fried Land wrote:I should have known Grestin was Christopher Walken the whole time.
ThePub wrote:New Grestin: "I will always choose the aborable lesbians over an entire town."
Imperial Idaho wrote:And with 1-2 sentences Grestin has declared war on the national pride of Canada.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:33 pm

Repeat ad infinitum

How many out of 100 million gun owners? Very damn few.
Hail Satan!

Jamzmania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jamzmania » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:39 pm

New Grestin wrote:
Jamzmania wrote:"Conservative candidate supports conservative ideas! Flee!"

It's not like we just had another major shooting.

Perry being astonishingly tone deaf was really my issue, and I'd like my President to actually pay attention to the news, thanks.

Yes, we just had another mass shooting in yet another gun-free zone. Zones that, by design, are supposed to prevent shootings.
Call upon me,
And I will equalize."

New Grestin
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Grestin » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:41 pm

Jamzmania wrote:
New Grestin wrote:It's not like we just had another major shooting.

Yes, we just had another mass shooting in yet another gun-free zone. Zones that, by design, are supposed to prevent shootings.

So, giving people guns in those zones will solve the issue?

Forgive me if this sounds condescending, but I seriously doubt that.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:45 pm

New Grestin wrote:
Jamzmania wrote:Yes, we just had another mass shooting in yet another gun-free zone. Zones that, by design, are supposed to prevent shootings.

So, giving people guns in those zones will solve the issue?

Just eliminating the gun-free zones would simply eliminate the targets of choice. That alone would improve their security. These shooters do NOT chose places where there may be other guns, in case you didn't notice. :roll:

Edit: and no one said anything about giving people any guns, just giving them the choice as to whether they carry there or not. :roll:
Last edited by Big Jim P on Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hail Satan!

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:48 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
New Grestin wrote:So, giving people guns in those zones will solve the issue?

Just eliminating the gun-free zones would simply eliminate the targets of choice. That alone would improve their security. These shooters do NOT chose places where there may be other guns, in case you didn't notice. :roll:

Edit: and no one said anything about giving people any guns, just giving them the choice as to whether they carry there or not. :roll:

Seems to me that most spree-shootings occur in America where people are allowed to carry guns.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.

ayy lmao

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:49 pm

Big Jim P wrote:

Repeat ad infinitum

This is such an odd argument.

It's like, if only a few people die it's not a big deal, even if you have the chance to do something about it.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.

ayy lmao

The Conez Imperium
Minister

Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:49 pm

Yus. Arm the populace against the mentally disabled. I want AK-47s and AR15s outside every mental hospital, that'll show em.
Last edited by The Conez Imperium on Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salut tout le monde, c'est moi !

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:49 pm

Vitaphone Racing wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Seems to me that most spree-shootings occur in America where people are allowed to carry guns.

Not the ones that are making the news. All the ones I see have been in gun-free zones, where people are NOT allowed to carry.
Hail Satan!

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:50 pm

Vitaphone Racing wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

It's like, if only a few people die it's not a big deal, even if you have the chance to do something about it.

By eliminating the ability for people to defend themselves. In case you missed it, that doesn't work.
Hail Satan!

Jamzmania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jamzmania » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:50 pm

Vitaphone Racing wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Gun control would do very little, and that little would be at the expense of the freedom of everyone else.

Benjamin Franklin wrote:Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.
Call upon me,
And I will equalize."

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:51 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:Seems to me that most spree-shootings occur in America where people are allowed to carry guns.

Not the ones that are making the news. All the ones I see have been in gun-free zones, where people are NOT allowed to carry.

The whole of UK is a gun free zone and where are the spree shootings that have made the news, hm?
Parhe on my Asian-ness.

ayy lmao

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:51 pm

Jamzmania wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:This is such an odd argument.

Gun control would do very little, and that little would be at the expense of the freedom of everyone else.

Benjamin Franklin wrote:Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.

Making the entire nation a gun free zone would really make the problem that much worse.
Hail Satan!

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:52 pm

Vitaphone Racing wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

The whole of UK is a gun free zone and where are the spree shootings that have made the news, hm?

We are not talking about the U.K.
Hail Satan!

Jamzmania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jamzmania » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:52 pm

Vitaphone Racing wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Apples and oranges.
Call upon me,
And I will equalize."

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:53 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:This is such an odd argument.

By eliminating the ability for people to defend themselves. In case you missed it, that doesn't work.

Isn't this sort of victim blaming though?

"if you didn't want to get shot, you should have had a gun and shot him first"

not

"maybe that fucking loon shouldn't have been allowed to own a gun"

Seems so weird.

It's almost like you want to tackle spree-shootings by lowering the death toll and viewing them as inevitable.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.

ayy lmao

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General