NATION

PASSWORD

2015 Canadian Election

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who will you vote for in the federal election?

Conservative (Stephen Harper)
30%
Liberal (Justin Trudeau)
23%
NDP (Thomas Mulcair)
25%
Green Party (Elizabeth May)
5%
Bloc Québécois (Gilles Duceppe)
5%
Other party please specify
2%
Undecided
2%
I'm not voting
8%

Total votes : 519

Razgriskm
Envoy

Founded: Apr 06, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Razgriskm » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:10 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Razgriskm wrote:I suppose the UN is using outdated terms then
http://en.europenews.dk/Sweden-to-becom ... 28028.html

"According to UN projections, Sweden will be a much poorer country by 2030, much worse than what anyone in the Swedish government indicates.

The UN report HDI (Human Development Index) predicts a significant decrease in Swedish prosperity, unlike their Nordic neighbors, who will retain their top positions and even strengthen them globally in the long run.

In 2010 Sweden had the 15th place in the HDI rankings but according to UN forecasts, Sweden will be #25 in 2015, and in 2030 on the 45th place. "

Sweden was 14th in 2015. The prediction wasn't meant to be accurate, the UN was using experimental numbers.

"The logic should be really simple to understand, yet many have difficulties grasping it: If you import the Third World, it's what you'll get."

http://www.allenbwest.com/2015/10/mains ... -the-west/

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:11 pm

Razgriskm wrote:
Geilinor wrote:Sweden was 14th in 2015. The prediction wasn't meant to be accurate, the UN was using experimental numbers.

"The logic should be really simple to understand, yet many have difficulties grasping it: If you import the Third World, it's what you'll get."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_in_Sweden

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:59 pm

Razgriskm wrote:I suppose the UN is using outdated terms then
http://en.europenews.dk/Sweden-to-becom ... 28028.html

"According to UN projections, Sweden will be a much poorer country by 2030, much worse than what anyone in the Swedish government indicates.

The UN report HDI (Human Development Index) predicts a significant decrease in Swedish prosperity, unlike their Nordic neighbors, who will retain their top positions and even strengthen them globally in the long run.

In 2010 Sweden had the 15th place in the HDI rankings but according to UN forecasts, Sweden will be #25 in 2015, and in 2030 on the 45th place. "

No, that writer was using outdated terms to describe a UN report. A writer who, by all indications, is racist. And also, apparently, an idiot, because they don't seem understand even the first thing about that UN report. And I shall demonstrate as such with a single quote:

"While all cohorts show an increase in the HDI over time, the steepness of the rise in the HDI decreases as one goes from Cohort 1 to Cohort 4"

Rankings on the HDI mean jack squat if you are still improving. Sweden is in Cohort 4, alongside Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and United States of America. What the report concludes is that, assuming the past is a reliable indicator of the future, those states which already rank highly on the HDI will experience lower, but more stable, rates of growth on the HDI.

Reading comprehension, do you even?
Razgriskm wrote:
Geilinor wrote:Sweden was 14th in 2015. The prediction wasn't meant to be accurate, the UN was using experimental numbers.

*imgsnip*

Raw numbers are meaningless for that kind of conversation; per capita rates or gtfo.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Zoice
Minister

Founded: Oct 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Zoice » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:05 am

Camicon wrote:
Razgriskm wrote:"The logic should be really simple to understand, yet many have difficulties grasping it: If you import the Third World, it's what you'll get."

*imgsnip*

Raw numbers are meaningless for that kind of conversation; per capita rates or gtfo.

As Kelinfort's link points out, even per capita rates cannot be accurately compared, because of differences in how cases of rape are counted in different countries. Sweden tends to overcount by a large margin relative to everywhere else.
♂♀Copy and Paste this in your sig if you're ignorant about human sexuality and want to let everyone know. ♂♀
Or if you're an asshole that goes out of your way to bully minorities and call them words with the strict intent of upsetting a demographic that is already at a huge risk of suicide, or being murdered for who they are. :)

For: Abortions, Anomalocaris, Atheism, Anti-theism, Being a good person, Genetic Engineering, LGBT rights, Sammy Harris, the Sandman, Science, Secular humanism
Against: AGW Denialism, Anti-Semitism, Banning religion, Ends, Hillary Clinton, Islamophobia, Means, Mother Theresa, Organized religion, Pacifism, Prejudice, the Pope, Political Correctness, Racism, Regressive Lefties and Righties, Republican Candidates, Theism, Violence

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:48 am

Zoice wrote:
Camicon wrote:Raw numbers are meaningless for that kind of conversation; per capita rates or gtfo.

As Kelinfort's link points out, even per capita rates cannot be accurately compared, because of differences in how cases of rape are counted in different countries. Sweden tends to overcount by a large margin relative to everywhere else.

Razgriskm wasn't trying to compare rapes in Sweden to rapes in other countries.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Zoice
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Zoice » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:04 pm

Camicon wrote:
Zoice wrote:As Kelinfort's link points out, even per capita rates cannot be accurately compared, because of differences in how cases of rape are counted in different countries. Sweden tends to overcount by a large margin relative to everywhere else.

Razgriskm wasn't trying to compare rapes in Sweden to rapes in other countries.

Oh, sorry I read that into his post. Still, it's relevant as the definition of rape changed in Sweden pretty much exactly when the incidence reports increased. It's like autism rates increasing because the definition broadened.
♂♀Copy and Paste this in your sig if you're ignorant about human sexuality and want to let everyone know. ♂♀
Or if you're an asshole that goes out of your way to bully minorities and call them words with the strict intent of upsetting a demographic that is already at a huge risk of suicide, or being murdered for who they are. :)

For: Abortions, Anomalocaris, Atheism, Anti-theism, Being a good person, Genetic Engineering, LGBT rights, Sammy Harris, the Sandman, Science, Secular humanism
Against: AGW Denialism, Anti-Semitism, Banning religion, Ends, Hillary Clinton, Islamophobia, Means, Mother Theresa, Organized religion, Pacifism, Prejudice, the Pope, Political Correctness, Racism, Regressive Lefties and Righties, Republican Candidates, Theism, Violence

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:41 pm

Zoice wrote:
Camicon wrote:Razgriskm wasn't trying to compare rapes in Sweden to rapes in other countries.

Oh, sorry I read that into his post. Still, it's relevant as the definition of rape changed in Sweden pretty much exactly when the incidence reports increased. It's like autism rates increasing because the definition broadened.

Of course it's relevant to a discussion about rape, but this thread isn't the place to discuss rape in Sweden. I was criticizing Razgriskm's attempt to make a comparison of dissimilar populations (in terms of size) using raw numbers rather than per capita rates, specifically.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Zoice
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Zoice » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:22 pm

Camicon wrote:
Zoice wrote:Oh, sorry I read that into his post. Still, it's relevant as the definition of rape changed in Sweden pretty much exactly when the incidence reports increased. It's like autism rates increasing because the definition broadened.

Of course it's relevant to a discussion about rape, but this thread isn't the place to discuss rape in Sweden. I was criticizing Razgriskm's attempt to make a comparison of dissimilar populations (in terms of size) using raw numbers rather than per capita rates, specifically.

That's fair, and I agree.

I'm criticizing (with thanks to Kelinfort) him trying to use rape in Sweden as an example of how horrible the country is. :)

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General