NATION

PASSWORD

[US Election 2016] Democratic Primary Megathread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who Do You Support In The Democratic Primaries?

Hillary Clinton
18%
Bernie Sanders
82%

Total votes : 316

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:32 pm

Alouite wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:I'm not sure that anyone's disputing that she's... friendly to big businesses.

That's an understatement. To be extremely politically incorrect, Big Business is her Monica Lewinsky.

That's not true. Clinton supports regulations and closing tax loopholes.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:40 pm

The question though is has Hilary's views actually evolved or is this actually just opportunism?
How can we tell?

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:43 pm

Now that public opinion among Democrats is clearly against the Keystone Pipeline, Hillary Clinton has bravely taken a stand against it.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:45 pm

Genivaria wrote:The question though is has Hilary's views actually evolved or is this actually just opportunism?
How can we tell?

Ask her how her views have changed and watch her explain.

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:47 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:Now that public opinion among Democrats is clearly against the Keystone Pipeline, Hillary Clinton has bravely taken a stand against it.

I love how Mr Sanders wisely chose to congratulate her for taking a position opposing it, if subtly attacking for being a bit behind, while Mr O'Malley decides to use this as an opportunity to score some political points.

Sen. Bernie Sanders responded to Clinton's new support in a statement, saying "As a senator who has vigorously opposed the Keystone pipeline from the beginning, I am glad that Secretary Clinton finally has made a decision and I welcome her opposition to the pipeline. Clearly it would be absurd to encourage the extraction and transportation of some of the dirtiest fossil fuel on the planet."

O'Malley also accused Clinton of being too slow to take a stance.

"On issue after issue--marriage equality, drivers licenses for undocumented immigrants, children fleeing violence in Central America, the Syrian refugee crisis, and now the Keystone Pipeline, Secretary Clinton has followed--not forged--public opinion," he said. "Leadership is about stating where you stand on critical issues, regardless of how they poll or focus group."

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Alouite » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:48 pm

Nationes Pii Redivivi wrote:
Alouite wrote:Okay, but shouldn't she apologize for her old bigoted stances? Additionally, please address my statement on her corporatist agenda.

It doesn't matter what she used to believe, what matter is what she is running on right now!

As to her 'corporatist agenda', most candidates are, by that definition, 'corporatists'.

Yeah, most, but not Bernie Sanders, not Martin O'Malley, and not to an extreme Joe Biden.
National Liberalism, National School Economics, National Dividend, Constitutional Originalism, Protection of US Domestic Trade, The Chinese Gov't in Exile in Taipei, and Ending the War on Nouns
Hyman Minsky
Totalitarianism, the Destruction of the Environment, Racism, and, most of all, people who end statements in questions?
The Patriot Act, The Illegitimate Communist Authorities in China, Economic Libertarianism, Absolutism and Communism

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:49 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:Now that public opinion among Democrats is clearly against the Keystone Pipeline, Hillary Clinton has bravely taken a stand against it.

I love how Mr Sanders wisely chose to congratulate her for taking a position opposing it, if subtly attacking for being a bit behind, while Mr O'Malley decides to use this as an opportunity to score some political points.

Sen. Bernie Sanders responded to Clinton's new support in a statement, saying "As a senator who has vigorously opposed the Keystone pipeline from the beginning, I am glad that Secretary Clinton finally has made a decision and I welcome her opposition to the pipeline. Clearly it would be absurd to encourage the extraction and transportation of some of the dirtiest fossil fuel on the planet."

"On issue after issue--marriage equality, drivers licenses for undocumented immigrants, children fleeing violence in Central America, the Syrian refugee crisis, and now the Keystone Pipeline, Secretary Clinton has followed--not forged--public opinion," he said. "Leadership is about stating where you stand on critical issues, regardless of how they poll or focus group."

O'Malley's really trying to position himself as the anti-establishment candidate despite being very much an establishment politician, while Sanders is trying to ease the establishment's concerns about him.

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Postby Alouite » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:50 pm

Sure, you can view it that way, or you can see it from a reasonable standing point. O'Malley is making a good point, she supported this bill until the polls prompted her to oppose it. What does that tell us about her? That she is only conforming to popular views for votes.
National Liberalism, National School Economics, National Dividend, Constitutional Originalism, Protection of US Domestic Trade, The Chinese Gov't in Exile in Taipei, and Ending the War on Nouns
Hyman Minsky
Totalitarianism, the Destruction of the Environment, Racism, and, most of all, people who end statements in questions?
The Patriot Act, The Illegitimate Communist Authorities in China, Economic Libertarianism, Absolutism and Communism

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:53 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

O'Malley's really trying to position himself as the anti-establishment candidate despite being very much an establishment politician, while Sanders is trying to ease the establishment's concerns about him.

Even so, Mr Sanders seemed to have, so far, conducted a rather civil campaign, which I, personally, found refreshing.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:54 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Even so, Mr Sanders seemed to have, so far, conducted a rather civil campaign, which I, personally, found refreshing.

Oh, I'm a huge fan of Bernie's approach, and have to constantly remind some of the more...strident supporters of his call for a civil campaign.

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Postby Alouite » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:54 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

That's true. I do like him, would definitely vote for him over any republican.
Hyman Minsky

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Postby Alouite » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:55 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

O'Malley is hardly establishment, to be establishment in either parties you have to be a corporatist.
Hyman Minsky

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:56 pm

Alouite wrote:

Sure, you can view it that way, or you can see it from a reasonable standing point. O'Malley is making a good point, she supported this bill until the polls prompted her to oppose it. What does that tell us about her? That she is only conforming to popular views for votes.

She had no position prior to opposing it. It may be political sail-trimming, or it could be that she needed time to wait for the administration to state its view, as well as make up her own mind.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:56 pm

Alouite wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

O'Malley is hardly establishment, to be establishment in either parties you have to be a corporatist.

He's been in Democratic Party politics for years.

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Postby Alouite » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:59 pm

Alouite wrote:

She had no position prior to opposing it. It may be political sail-trimming, or it could be that she needed time to wait for the administration to state its view, as well as make up her own mind.

Uh, no. Until recently she was leaning towards it. Now she veered away from it seeing it as detrimental to her campaign.

Sources:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX99Y1Sg6yA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEIG2pjwQeM
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/28/politics/hillary-clinton-keystone-xl-pipeline/
http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/07/28/hillary-clinton-is-stumped-on-question-of-keystone-pipeline/?_r=0
Last edited by Alouite on Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyman Minsky

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Postby Alouite » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:02 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Alouite wrote:

He's been in Democratic Party politics for years.

And? He's still hardly establishment, I say that as a Maryland citizen who saw the actions he took during his presidency. And he wasn't as compliant as most democrats to the party stances. Of course, it's hard to see that since he took the state from a highly conservative Ehrlich, but beyond his initial liberal reforms, he is a bit further left than most democrats, and honestly is similar to Bernie, though not as far left on most issues. He just didn't have to go independent to garner both democratic and republican support.
Hyman Minsky

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:02 pm

Alouite wrote:

Uh, no. Until recently she was leaning towards it. Now she veered away from it seeing it as detrimental to her campaign.

Sources:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX99Y1Sg6yA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEIG2pjwQeM

That doesn't prove she was leaning towards it.

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:03 pm

Well, he isn't wrong.
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Postby Alouite » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:06 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:

Well, he isn't wrong.

Exactly! Was he doing this to gain political points? Probably. But that's likely not the only reason he did, he's been skeptical about Hillary and her corporatist agenda since he announced his bid for presidency, and frankly, he has a good point. Why trust her when she is one of the biggest corporatist around. To be honest, at this point, I want a Sanders - O'Malley ticket.
Last edited by Alouite on Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyman Minsky

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:07 pm

As seen by the statements on Keystone XL, Sanders doesn't have the style of a conventional politician - he welcomes and praises people rather than digging in while O'Malley went off into general talk on leadership. I like that Sanders stays on topic and on the issues themselves.

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Postby Alouite » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:09 pm

Geilinor wrote:As seen by the statements on Keystone XL, Sanders doesn't have the style of a conventional politician - he welcomes and praises people rather than digging in while O'Malley went off into general talk on leadership. I like that Sanders stays on topic and on the issues themselves.

Again, I want a Sanders - O'Malley ticket. However, there is something to be said about Hillary's character if she only changes her views on a corporatist deal when it becomes a threat to her in the polls.
Hyman Minsky

Marylandonia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Marylandonia » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:09 pm

Alouite wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Well, he isn't wrong.

Exactly! Was he doing this to gain political points? Probably. But that's likely not the only reason he did, he's been skeptical about Hillary and her corporatist agenda since he announced his bid for presidency, and frankly, he has a good point. Why trust her when she is one of the biggest corporatist around. To be honest, at this point, I want a Sanders - O'Malley ticket.

Don't be greedy. If Sanders can get the nomination, I'd vote for his ticket no matter the Veep candidate. Sanders would make a wise choice no matter.
Last edited by Marylandonia on Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALT is New Jerzylvania

Nova Anglicana
Minister

Founded: Jul 15, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Nova Anglicana » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:52 pm

Alouite wrote:
Geilinor wrote:As seen by the statements on Keystone XL, Sanders doesn't have the style of a conventional politician - he welcomes and praises people rather than digging in while O'Malley went off into general talk on leadership. I like that Sanders stays on topic and on the issues themselves.

Again, I want a Sanders - O'Malley ticket. However, there is something to be said about Hillary's character if she only changes her views on a corporatist deal when it becomes a threat to her in the polls.

Even as an O'Malley supporter, unless he becomes more widely known and popular, he's got no place on the ticket. VP is where you shore up your weaknesses and balance your presidential nominee. They should be a more unifying figure. O'Malley's got shit polls in Maryland, which is the only place they recognize him, and he is not someone that will inspire African-American turnout. His only conceivable VP role would be to bridge the gap between the establishment and the left if either Sanders or Clinton won the nomination.

Don't get me wrong, I like him more than Sanders or Clinton, but he's not a good political choice.
Last edited by Nova Anglicana on Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former WBC President (WBC 34-37), Current WBC President (WBC 56-58)

Champions
WBC 48, IBC 35/36, IBS XIII, WJHC VII, URSA 7s I, Port Louis 7s I, CE 29-30 (as NAAZE)

Runners-up
WBC 39/44/50, WCoH 46, RUWC 31, Cup of Harmony 65, IBS III/VIII, AVBF 7s II

3rd Place
WBC 28/32/36, RUWC XXIX, Cup of Harmony 64, IBS V, WJHC V/VIII/XVI/XVII, Beltane Cup II, Londinium 7s II, R7WC VI (eliminated in semis, no 3PPO)

4th Place
WBC 29/38/49, IBS VII, RUWC XXI/XXVI, WJHC IV, Londinium 7s I, WCoH 28, RAHI II

Quarterfinals
WBC 27/30/31/37/41/43/47, IBS VI, IBC 15/31, WJHC VI/IX/XIV, RAHI I, AVBF Rugby Sevens I, RUWC XXIV/XXV

Hosted
WBC 31/35, Londinium 7s I/II, IBS IX

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Postby Alouite » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:18 pm

Marylandonia wrote:
Alouite wrote:Exactly! Was he doing this to gain political points? Probably. But that's likely not the only reason he did, he's been skeptical about Hillary and her corporatist agenda since he announced his bid for presidency, and frankly, he has a good point. Why trust her when she is one of the biggest corporatist around. To be honest, at this point, I want a Sanders - O'Malley ticket.

Don't be greedy. If Sanders can get the nomination, I'd vote for his ticket no matter the Veep candidate. Sanders would make a wise choice no matter.

Dont take things out of context. That was a desire, not a demand. I'd vote Sanders no matter who he picks as VP.
Hyman Minsky

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:20 pm

Alouite wrote:Dont take things out of context. That was a desire, not a demand. I'd vote Sanders no matter who he picks as VP.

Sanders/Trump 2016
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General