NATION

PASSWORD

[US Election 2016] Democratic Primary Megathread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who Do You Support In The Democratic Primaries?

Hillary Clinton
18%
Bernie Sanders
82%

Total votes : 316

Hetalia Dakota 2 II
Post Marshal

Founded: May 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Hetalia Dakota 2 II » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:48 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Hetalia Dakota 2 II wrote:He's too left for the establishment which is why he is outside of it. Don't get me wrong I like the man and his policy he simply isn't my pick and I feel he's be dead on arrival in the general election.

There isn't a single current poll that shows him losing in the general. There's one where he's in a statistical tie with one GOP candidate, but that's it. Everything else shows him winning against the major candidates.

Either way, he seems to be the only candidate people talk about these days. I've never seen it like this before.
Signatures are boring.
SQUIG: #2

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:48 pm

Deuxtete wrote:Wiser, you're barely literate.
And since we're all fine with everything who we might for for had done, and I don't see claim to have a dog in the fight...you not voting this election? Not got that card mailed in yet Grandpa?
Maybe after your balls drop, dude.
Little tip for you junior, grown men don't type shit like "sound of door slamming shut".

The Guaranteed Eternal Sanctuary Man wrote:You write "Might for for have done" and claim others to be illiterate. :rofl: As I said you are a hypocrite. :lol2: Your ignorance is only eclipsed by your ugliness and, oh yeah, the hypocrisy.

Maybe you might wanna run along home about now before you are on the outside looking in, if it's not too late already. :eyebrow:

Deuxtete and GESM: *** Warned for flaming ***

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:50 pm

Hetalia Dakota 2 II wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
There isn't a single current poll that shows him losing in the general. There's one where he's in a statistical tie with one GOP candidate, but that's it. Everything else shows him winning against the major candidates.

Either way, he seems to be the only candidate people talk about these days. I've never seen it like this before.

That's true online. I'd like to see him hit the mainstream media a bit more, but we're cracking that nut.

Deuxtete
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Deuxtete » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:50 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Deuxtete wrote:All of them, per your standard.
Including that he will arbitrarily use nuclear weapons, and what position he has shifted on beyond conventional wisdom.

He serious claim of building a 250 ft tall 2000 mile long wall.

All of them, again if you can't go back and source every single claim you made, I hardly feel obliged to myself...its your standard after all.

Okay.

I already stated that the nuclear weapons comment was hyperbole, a rhetorical device used to make a point, not meant to be taken seriously. I thought that this was obvious from the context. I was wrong. As it's something that you are unable to detect, I will refrain from using it in the future. The same goes for "250 feet". Again, I thought that you would be able to detect exaggeration for the sake of effect, and this was obviously unfair of me. It was a reference to a joke regarding Donald Trump, a fisherman, and an immigrant. I apologize for both, and will not attempt to use humor or exaggeration in order to drive home a point with you again.

However, my serious claims stand, particularly regarding his absolutely atrocious immigration plan.

Serious claim. Singular.
Because the immigration thing is the only thing you sourced.
That and Hillary's time interview piece, with a hardly detailed plan.

Anything on that claim of her competence...besides your word I mean?
If I ****** you, you unequivocally deserve to be *********.
Ifreann is my favorite poster. Ben Carson for President
Telegram me to suggest or offer your opinion on internet media sources, npr is my primary news but on the internet I'm not always sure who is trust worthy.

Hetalia Dakota 2 II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Hetalia Dakota 2 II » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:56 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Hetalia Dakota 2 II wrote:Either way, he seems to be the only candidate people talk about these days. I've never seen it like this before.

That's true online. I'd like to see him hit the mainstream media a bit more, but we're cracking that nut.

Am I a bad person for feeling put off if someone is in my favs and shared all over with me constantly to the point of me not wanting anything to do win them. I can't see myself voting for Sanders.
Signatures are boring.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:09 pm

Deuxtete wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Okay.

I already stated that the nuclear weapons comment was hyperbole, a rhetorical device used to make a point, not meant to be taken seriously. I thought that this was obvious from the context. I was wrong. As it's something that you are unable to detect, I will refrain from using it in the future. The same goes for "250 feet". Again, I thought that you would be able to detect exaggeration for the sake of effect, and this was obviously unfair of me. It was a reference to a joke regarding Donald Trump, a fisherman, and an immigrant. I apologize for both, and will not attempt to use humor or exaggeration in order to drive home a point with you again.

However, my serious claims stand, particularly regarding his absolutely atrocious immigration plan.

Serious claim. Singular.

The immigration thing is what he's running on. I don't think that he has much of an economic plan other than vague allusions to having done business with various countries. I'm unaware of any racial justice platform. There's nothing regarding unions, but considering his history, I can't imagine that he looks upon them favorably. There's a number of claims that he'll do grand things, but no details as to how.

What source would you accept as evidence of Clinton's competence? The first four items here would seem to speak well of her accomplishments as Secretary of State (The last one is amusing, but irrelevant), she was a reasonably effective Senator, and despite some missteps regarding her desire to radically shake up healthcare out of the gate, she was probably the most active and effective First Lady since Eleanor Roosevelt, though she made some stumbles that she seems to have learned from.

Deuxtete
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Deuxtete » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:10 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Am I a bad person for feeling put off if someone is in my favs and shared all over with me constantly to the point of me not wanting anything to do win them. I can't see myself voting for Sanders.

who then would you vote for ?
Telegram me to suggest or offer your opinion on internet media sources, npr is my primary news but on the internet I'm not always sure who is trust worthy.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:10 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

It's understandable. I've found a number of my fellow supporters to be absolutely insufferable. However, I'd recommend basing your final judgment on policies, not on the excesses of some followers.

Hetalia Dakota 2 II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Hetalia Dakota 2 II » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:12 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Hetalia Dakota 2 II wrote:Am I a bad person for feeling put off if someone is in my favs and shared all over with me constantly to the point of me not wanting anything to do win them. I can't see myself voting for Sanders.

It's understandable. I've found a number of my fellow supporters to be absolutely insufferable. However, I'd recommend basing your final judgment on policies, not on the excesses of some followers.

Don't get me wrong I'll vote for the democratic nomination, unless it becomes like Hilliary vs Rand, not even sure then though. Thanks for understanding.
Signatures are boring.

Deuxtete
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Deuxtete » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:13 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Deuxtete wrote:Serious claim. Singular.

The immigration thing is what he's running on. I don't think that he has much of an economic plan other than vague allusions to having done business with various countries. I'm unaware of any racial justice platform. There's nothing regarding unions, but considering his history, I can't imagine that he looks upon them favorably. There's a number of claims that he'll do grand things, but no details as to how.

What source would you accept as evidence of Clinton's competence? The first four items here would seem to speak well of her accomplishments as Secretary of State (The last one is amusing, but irrelevant), she was a reasonably effective Senator, and despite some missteps regarding her desire to radically shake up healthcare out of the gate, she was probably the most active and effective First Lady since Eleanor Roosevelt, though she made some stumbles that she seems to have learned from.

I'm rather fond of his revised tax brackets, increased taxes on investment gains, reduced corporate tax...

But yeah, no plan. I'm making it up as I go.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:15 pm

Deuxtete wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

I'm rather fond of his revised tax brackets, increased taxes on investment gains, reduced corporate tax...

Again, source? As you can see, I provided several.

EDIT: Also, when GE is getting tax rebates despite posting near-record profits, we don't need reduced corporate taxes.
Last edited by Yumyumsuppertime on Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deuxtete
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Deuxtete » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:17 pm

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/87613 doesn't sound impressive...let me check another source.
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:19 pm

Deuxtete wrote:http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/87613 doesn't sound impressive...let me check another source.
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

This may seem petty, but could you not put your responses on the top of the post, please? It looked like you simply repeated your last post.

Deuxtete
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Deuxtete » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:25 pm

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... /?page=all ooh,
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -book.html not the best source lets look harder
http://m.dailykos.com/story/2007/11/21/ ... the-Senate holy shit! Good thing the link to govtrack is just below so we can see...she stayed consistently abyssmal as a senator. Let's look at her great accomplishments as a first lady.
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/member ... ton/300022 hmm she missed nearly five times the number of roll call votes as her contemporaries, not looking super competent ...let me check another source.
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/87613 doesn't sound impressive...let me check another source.
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Last edited by Deuxtete on Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:43 pm

Deuxtete wrote:https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/hillary_clinton/300022 hmm she missed nearly five times the number of roll call votes as her contemporaries, not looking super competent ...let me check another source.
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

For God's sake, could you please stop responding at the top of the post? That's not how this is done.

Missing roll call votes isn't a big deal so long as you're there to vote on the important legislation. The rest is simply interpretive. However, I don't have a particular interest in defending Hillary Clinton. Now will you start using sources? Or are you going nuts trying to disprove an argument I'm not particularly interested in making because you're unable to defend your own points?
Last edited by Yumyumsuppertime on Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Divitaen
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:28 am

Deuxtete wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Okay.

Serious claim. Singular.

She was a good Secretary of State, and had quite a positive record there campaigning for international LGBT and women's rights standards. She was instrumental in the original "reset button" on diplomacy with Sergei Lavrov to improve US-Russian ties, she was crucial in Iranian nuclear negotiations and helped to rescue a Turkish-Armenian agreement in 2009 that improved diplomatic relations between the two nations. Of course, she also played an important role in US-Burmese relations after the Thein Sein reforms and the "pivot to Asia".
Hillary Clinton 2016! Stronger Together!
EU Referendum: Vote Leave = Project Hate #VoteRemain!
Economic Right/Left: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.15
Foreign Policy Non-interventionist/Neo-conservative: -10.00
Cultural Liberal/Conservative: -10.00
Social Democrat:
Cosmopolitan/Nationalistic - 38%
Secular/Fundamentalist - 50%
Visionary/Reactionary - 56%
Anarchistic/Authoritarian - 24%
Communistic/Capitalistic - 58%
Pacifist/Militarist - 39%
Ecological/Anthropocentric - 55%

Divitaen
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:53 am

Great Nazi Germania wrote:all of them are faggots

Normally I'd say this is sarcastic but...
Hillary Clinton 2016! Stronger Together!
EU Referendum: Vote Leave = Project Hate #VoteRemain!
Economic Right/Left: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.15
Foreign Policy Non-interventionist/Neo-conservative: -10.00
Cultural Liberal/Conservative: -10.00
Social Democrat:
Cosmopolitan/Nationalistic - 38%
Secular/Fundamentalist - 50%
Visionary/Reactionary - 56%
Anarchistic/Authoritarian - 24%
Communistic/Capitalistic - 58%
Pacifist/Militarist - 39%
Ecological/Anthropocentric - 55%

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:45 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Hetalia Dakota 2 II wrote:Am I a bad person for feeling put off if someone is in my favs and shared all over with me constantly to the point of me not wanting anything to do win them. I can't see myself voting for Sanders.

I deal with it by refusing to read the back and forth bickering between the Clinton and sanders supporters. im going to vote for whichever democrat wins the nomination anyway I see no sense to get all caught up in the "Hillary is too corporatist", "Bernie doesn't care about black people" bullshit.
whatever

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:41 am

http://www.thenation.com/article/can-hi ... -the-left/

Interesting article I read: Can Hillary Clinton Win Over the Left?
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Social Democrat and Progressive.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:06 am

Atlanticatia wrote:http://www.thenation.com/article/can-hillary-clinton-win-over-the-left/

Not if Biden runs, and as much as I want him to, it's becoming increasingly unlikely.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Marylandonia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Marylandonia » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:02 am

Northern Davincia wrote:
Atlanticatia wrote:http://www.thenation.com/article/can-hillary-clinton-win-over-the-left/

Not if Biden runs, and as much as I want him to, it's becoming increasingly unlikely.

I think it has become more likely. We'll have to wait and see who is correct.

I think he gets into the race come October which happens to be when Hillary has to face a congressional committee about the Emails.
In the mean time he continues to recover from the death of his son, Beau. Joe will recover, he is a solid man, and then he will see to his son's final wishes.
Last edited by Marylandonia on Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ALT is New Jerzylvania

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:23 am

Pot4toes wrote:Oh my God, Hillary Clinton killed Kenny!
YOU BASTARDS!

That was Vince Foster's middle name?
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:32 am

Gauthier wrote:
Pot4toes wrote:Oh my God, Hillary Clinton killed Kenny!
YOU BASTARDS!

That was Vince Foster's middle name?

No, his middle name was ... Walker. :o
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:45 am

I think one of my biggest issues with Hillary is that watching her speak, I feel like I'm watching a scripted actor, compared to Bernie Sanders who actually acts passionate about what he's talking about.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Marylandonia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Marylandonia » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:48 am

Corrian wrote:I think one of my biggest issues with Hillary is that watching her speak, I feel like I'm watching a scripted actor, compared to Bernie Sanders who actually acts passionate about what he's talking about.

She's no Bill Clinton, that is for sure. She gives you the feeling she is talking down to you. They need to get that out of her mannerisms fast.
ALT is New Jerzylvania

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General