NATION

PASSWORD

Nationstates' Mental illness thread.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:53 am

Snowfall the Unicorn wrote:K, I'll ask again because the internet still won't give me a straight answer.

Is narcissism a real mental disorder?

And also I'm depressed, since I might as well participate in the thread

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... n-20025568

It is only considered a disorder when it disrupts what is considered a "normal, healthy" lifestyle in a major way.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:52 am

Which drugs can cause which mental illnesses and how?
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

Transyl
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Transyl » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:56 am

Sebtopiaris wrote:They're not awful?
What are these four you have, good sir?

By awful, I meant they don't make you an awful person. Anyways, don't call me sir please, cause I'm not a guy. I have Social Anxiety, depression, anorexia, and something else I forgot the name for. It all started with depression, then it started developing into all sorts of other things. My doctor can't explain what's going on with me, and it just freaks me out, causes me more stress than I already have.

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:Which drugs can cause which mental illnesses and how?

Any drug abuse can cause mental illnesses, mainly depression and anxiety.
I'm Kitty!
About me
NS stats have no power here. We only use Factbooks!
Main Factbook.

Proud Fascist!
Proud member of the Anti-Democracy League!
Yandere!
Ancient Humans is the love of my life! Touch him and you'll face my wrath!
Creepwood Apple-Loosa and Xanama are my Kawaii Friends! :3

Justin States
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Justin States » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:01 am

Snowfall the Unicorn wrote:K, I'll ask again because the internet still won't give me a straight answer.

Yes. It is.

"Narcissistic personality disorder is a personality disorder in which a person is excessively preoccupied with personal adequacy, power, prestige and vanity, mentally unable to see the destructive damage they are causing to themselves and others."
Blekksprutia wrote:I imagine God is partying hard up in Heaven with His cute gay friends because His creations have finally started to get shit right.
Vista Major wrote:God has truly blessed us this day. LGBT Marriage is now legal in the USA, and will hopefully spread to the entire world. Equality and Love rises above hate and ignorance.

Dominated Earth
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Dominated Earth » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:29 am

Cocaine, Amphetamines, Alcohol, PCP and LSD can all cause symptoms of psychosis and other mental disorders through long term use among other psychedelic drugs.
-Sol
-Alpha Centuri
The new and improved me factbook!
I use early FT. This nation is based in 2140. Population is capped at 20 Billion. This nation doesn't represent all my views. I'm also in University studying Astronomy. We aren't Nod
DES Global News: Disgruntled nano engineer arrested after unleashing a hoard of screeching slime creatures on Tokyo|DES Inquisition purge the corrupt politicians and law enforcement of Kiev in brutal public executions without trial|Man comes home from work to find his house covered in silk worm silk.

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:50 am

Dominated Earth wrote:

Cocaine, Amphetamines, Alcohol, PCP and LSD can all cause symptoms of psychosis and other mental disorders through long term use among other psychedelic drugs.

Evidence has suggested that psychedelics only bring to the surface underlying mental problems; they do not cause them.
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Dominated Earth
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Dominated Earth » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:24 am

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Dominated Earth wrote:

Evidence has suggested that psychedelics only bring to the surface underlying mental problems; they do not cause them.

Really? I'm looking at different sources and they're all saying different things for me. Some are saying it only surfaces them and some are saying it can cause them.
-Sol
-Alpha Centuri
The new and improved me factbook!
I use early FT. This nation is based in 2140. Population is capped at 20 Billion. This nation doesn't represent all my views. I'm also in University studying Astronomy. We aren't Nod
DES Global News: Disgruntled nano engineer arrested after unleashing a hoard of screeching slime creatures on Tokyo|DES Inquisition purge the corrupt politicians and law enforcement of Kiev in brutal public executions without trial|Man comes home from work to find his house covered in silk worm silk.

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:29 am

Dominated Earth wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Evidence has suggested that psychedelics only bring to the surface underlying mental problems; they do not cause them.

Really? I'm looking at different sources and they're all saying different things for me. Some are saying it only surfaces them and some are saying it can cause them.

Yeah. In my experience with their use, and from the sources I've read, newer information - that isn't influenced in any way by the purely fictitious bullshit they came out with about drugs in general ("this is your brain on drugs") and acid in particular decades ago - says LSD is essentially 100% safe for a mentally stable person and can actually assist in lessening anxiety. It's also been proven to cure alcoholism.

The idea is that if someone has underlying schizophrenia, that hasn't manifested outwardly yet - if that person begins doing psychedelics semi-regularly, it will bring said mental illness out in them earlier than it would have shown itself on its own.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Xanama
Senator

Founded: Mar 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Xanama » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:16 pm

Another thing about my depression, I used to be untrusted around bridges, blades and knives.

Olivaero
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Olivaero » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:46 pm

I sufer from social Anxiety and anxiety attacks, also health anxiety although I'm not sure if thats a different thing... really just shit loads of anxiety I've seen someone about it and they gave me some coping mechanisms so they aren't crippling but I do find them overwhelming at times I'm in a constant state of de-stressing which if I don't do I can be overwhelmed and suffer a panic attack. I probably hate social anxiety the most as I actually enjoy being around people it's just speaking to them exhausts me after a while.
British, Anglo Celtic, English, Northerner.

Transhumanist, Left Hegelian, Marxist, Communist.

Agnostic Theist, Culturally Christian.

Justin States
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Justin States » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:16 pm

Xanama wrote:Another thing about my depression, I used to be untrusted around bridges, blades and knives.

Same thing, except for the bridges, for me it's guns.
Blekksprutia wrote:I imagine God is partying hard up in Heaven with His cute gay friends because His creations have finally started to get shit right.
Vista Major wrote:God has truly blessed us this day. LGBT Marriage is now legal in the USA, and will hopefully spread to the entire world. Equality and Love rises above hate and ignorance.

Geanna
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Geanna » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:54 pm

Washington Resistance Army wrote:

I wouldn't say it's a disorder, I've never heard of it being classed as such.

Narcissism in itself is a personality trait - and everyone is narcissistic to some degree. However - there does exist Narcissistic Personality Disorder. https://www.psychologytoday.com/conditi ... y-disorder

It's in the class of attributed Personality Disorders such as Borderline Personality Disorder or Histrionic Personality Disorder.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

"We dance on the lines of our destruction and continuation, to waltz and achieve the happiness of our existence, and to be the laughter in a world of silence."

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:04 pm

Justin States wrote:
Xanama wrote:Another thing about my depression, I used to be untrusted around bridges, blades and knives.

Same thing, except for the bridges, for me it's guns.

Back when I was struggling with depression, bridges were always more tempting than weapons.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

The Fallen Jedi
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fallen Jedi » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:40 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:I have ADHD. It used to effect me a lot worse than it does now, but I still struggle to manage it.

We have something in common Orson, I also have ADHD, but over the years, I've gained significant control over it to the point that at times I don't pay attention, and at certain points when my hyperactivity is at an all time high (In which usually my creativity is at it's peak)

Xanama
Senator

Founded: Mar 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Xanama » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:42 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Justin States wrote:Same thing, except for the bridges, for me it's guns.

Back when I was struggling with depression, bridges were always more tempting than weapons.

I've jumped before, lived, but all the same

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:43 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Justin States wrote:Same thing, except for the bridges, for me it's guns.

The amount of high, sheer cliffs with absolutely beautiful views around where I live has tempted me more than once, I'll admit.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:05 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:

The amount of high, sheer cliffs with absolutely beautiful views around where I live has tempted me more than once, I'll admit.

One of the scariest experiences I had with depression was visiting Harper's Ferry with my family. There is a bridge there across one of the rivers, near where they converge. It's a very high bridge and I didn't actually want to kill myself at the time, but for some reason I just could not get the thought of jumping off it out of my head. Or the urge to drop something over the edge.

It was not the first time I had ever been to Harper's Ferry or crossed that bridge, and I had never had an issue with it when I was younger.

There was also a bridge in Des Moines that I had a thing about, but that one was low enough and the water under it was deep enough that you could probably jump off it and be OK.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Mandicoria
Senator

Founded: Sep 10, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Mandicoria » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:05 pm

I'm glad there's a thread for this finally. (>6 days late)

I was diagnosed with depression a little more than a year ago. While I have had good progress (Well, from observation from myself and my councilor, I had this conclusion.) in liberating myself from it, I still feel as if I get the living shit beat out of me each day. The only time I've had a suicidal thought (I wanted to slit my wrists and bleed to death.) was in the 7th grade. (An exceptionally shit year for me, however I wasn't diagnosed at the time.) besides the (It was actually a very faint idea, but an idea none the less) thoughts of suicide mentioned, 75% of the time I came home from school (And my Dad's, due to there being issues from there. I'll cover what I think were the causes later.) I would just sit on the couch for hours staring at the wall. Either on the verge of crying, or downright breaking down.

Then, once the whole sitting around for hours thing ended, I then started feeling as if people were downright ignoring me (Good friends were even suspected, the people I was suspecting were not ignoring me at all. Albeit, still gave off vibes.), and then I had the feeling that hardly anyone took me seriously. (Both feelings still plague me today, but less so than before.) So, yeah. As I said, things are getting better for me (Probably due to the fact that High School's gonna fuck off next year, and I'll be a legal adult.), and I have been able to handle my emotions better than before. However, as said, things just tire me the hell out and make me feel as if I just survived a skirmish.
silly little creature, she/they
apologies if im like, really aloof. this site has an affect on me.
What if Humanity was as Important as it thought it was... But it turned out to not be a very good thing.
also i rip off warhammer, DOOM, and halo unapologetically
Highly suggest listening to this when reading anything I post about this nation.
A [1.18] civilization, according to this index.

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:06 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:The amount of high, sheer cliffs with absolutely beautiful views around where I live has tempted me more than once, I'll admit.

One of the scariest experiences I had with depression was visiting Harper's Ferry with my family. There is a bridge there across one of the rivers, near where they converge. It's a very high bridge and I didn't actually want to kill myself at the time, but for some reason I just could not get the thought of jumping off it out of my head. Or the urge to drop something over the edge.

It was not the first time I had ever been to Harper's Ferry or crossed that bridge, and I had never had an issue with it when I was younger.

There was also a bridge in Des Moines that I had a thing about, but that one was low enough and the water under it was deep enough that you could probably jump off it and be OK.

I've actually been to Harper's Ferry (and across said bridge). I get what you mean.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:11 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:

I've actually been to Harper's Ferry (and across said bridge). I get what you mean.

So you know you wouldn't walk away if you jumped off that. I mean it's pretty and all, but not when you're having issues with bridges.

Auxier
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 06, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Auxier » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:25 am

Major depression, ADHD, anxiety and bipolar disorder.

I've literally forgotten what's it to be like normal again, like you know the one state of mind that people have by default- cherish that. Though I do get close to feeling normal sometimes when having the highs but these moments don't last, it's really worst then pain(an actual bad feeling) in every way though I just became strong enough to just endure it, can't say that for everyone which is sad especially for those who don't even realize they have it and are probably shut down by stupid ones -who has never experience any mental problems- when they try to identify it. I'd kill to be normal again.
Last edited by Auxier on Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nordonovik
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordonovik » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:42 pm

Antisocial Personality "Disorder" (not in all circumstances)

Antisocial personality disorder is characterized by a long-standing pattern of a disregard for other people’s rights, often crossing the line and violating those rights. It usually begins in childhood or as a teen and continues into their adult lives.

Antisocial personality disorder is often referred to as psychopathy or sociopathy in popular culture. However, neither psychopathy nor sociopathy are recognized professional labels used for diagnosis.

Individuals with Antisocial Personality Disorder frequently lack empathy and tend to be callous, cynical, and contemptuous of the feelings, rights, and sufferings of others. They may have an inflated and arrogant self-appraisal (e.g., feel that ordinary work is beneath them or lack a realistic concern about their current problems or their future) and may be excessively opinionated, self-assured, or cocky. They may display a glib, superficial charm and can be quite voluble and verbally facile (e.g., using technical terms or jargon that might impress someone who is unfamiliar with the topic).

Lack of empathy, inflated self-appraisal, and superficial charm are features that have been commonly included in traditional conceptions of psychopathy and may be particularly distinguishing of Antisocial Personality Disorder in prison or forensic settings where criminal, delinquent, or aggressive acts are likely to be nonspecific. These individuals may also be irresponsible and exploitative in their sexual relationships.

A personality disorder is an enduring pattern of inner experience and behavior that deviates from the norm of the individual’s culture. The pattern is seen in two or more of the following areas: cognition; affect; interpersonal functioning; or impulse control. The enduring pattern is inflexible and pervasive across a broad range of personal and social situations. It typically leads to significant distress or impairment in social, work or other areas of functioning. The pattern is stable and of long duration, and its onset can be traced back to early adulthood or adolescence.

Symptoms of Antisocial Personality Disorder

Antisocial personality disorder is diagnosed when a person’s pattern of antisocial behavior has occurred since age 15 (although only adults 18 years or older can be diagnosed with this disorder) and consists of the majority of these symptoms:

Failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest
Deceitfulness, as indicated by repeated lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure
Impulsivity or failure to plan ahead
Irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults
Reckless disregard for safety of self or others
Consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations
Lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another
There should also be evidence of Conduct Disorder in the individual as a child, whether or not it was ever formally diagnosed by a professional.

Because personality disorders describe long-standing and enduring patterns of behavior, they are most often diagnosed in adulthood. It is uncommon for them to be diagnosed in childhood or adolescence, because a child or teen is under constant development, personality changes and maturation. According to the DSM-5, antisocial personality disorder cannot be diagnosed in people younger than 18 years old.

Antisocial personality disorder is 70 percent more prevalent in males than females. The 12-month prevalence rate of this disorder is between 0.2 and 3.3 percent.

Like most personality disorders, antisocial personality disorder typically will decrease in intensity with age, with many people experiencing few of the most extreme symptoms by the time they are in the 40s or 50s.

How is Antisocial Personality Disorder Diagnosed?

Personality disorders such as antisocial personality disorder are typically diagnosed by a trained mental health professional, such as a psychologist or psychiatrist. Family physicians and general practitioners are generally not trained or well-equipped to make this type of psychological diagnosis. So while you can initially consult a family physician about this problem, they should refer you to a mental health professional for diagnosis and treatment. There are no laboratory, blood or genetic tests that are used to diagnose antisocial personality disorder.

Many people with antisocial personality disorder don’t seek out treatment. People with personality disorders, in general, do not often seek out treatment until the disorder starts to significantly interfere or otherwise impact a person’s life. This most often happens when a person’s coping resources are stretched too thin to deal with stress or other life events.

A diagnosis for antisocial personality disorder is made by a mental health professional comparing your symptoms and life history with those listed here. They will make a determination whether your symptoms meet the criteria necessary for a personality disorder diagnosis.

Causes of Antisocial Personality Disorder

Researchers today don’t know what causes antisocial personality disorder. There are many theories, however, about the possible causes of antisocial personality disorder. Most professionals subscribe to a biopsychosocial model of causation — that is, the causes of are likely due to biological and genetic factors, social factors (such as how a person interacts in their early development with their family and friends and other children), and psychological factors (the individual’s personality and temperament, shaped by their environment and learned coping skills to deal with stress). This suggests that no single factor is responsible — rather, it is the complex and likely intertwined nature of all three factors that are important. If a person has this personality disorder, research suggests that there is a slightly increased risk for this disorder to be “passed down” to their children.

Treatment of Antisocial Personality Disorder

Treatment of antisocial personality disorder typically involves long-term psychotherapy with a therapist that has experience in treating this kind of personality disorder. Medications may also be prescribed to help with specific troubling and debilitating symptoms. For more information about treatment, please see antisocial personality disorder treatment.

Source: http://psychcentral.com/disorders/antis ... -symptoms/

A tad melodramatic but highlights alot of imperative points:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCBSU7CsYcc
Last edited by Nordonovik on Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:30 pm, edited 15 times in total.
When ghettos become the mainstream of society, islands of individuality cannot help but harbor an elite.

Heterodox, pedant, cynic, curmudgeon, skeptic, dissident

Imperator and Founder of Satanic Cathedral

Vallermoore
Senator

Founded: Mar 27, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Vallermoore » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:52 pm

I have slight Asperger's syndrome and have been unemployed for most of my adult life.

Benian Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Benian Republic » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:03 pm

I feel like most of life's struggles can be dealt with a good drink, a good friend and a good workout.
Pro: United Ireland, IRA, Allan Ryan, Palestine, Malvinas, Ukraine, Hamas-Fatah cooperation, legalized Gay marriage, Tibetan Resistance, Atheism.
Anti: English Imperialism, Nazism, communism, Israel, Zionism, Margret thatcher, Martin McGuinness, good Friday agreement.
Proud to be Irish, please telegram me I enjoy getting them.
Casualties showing why supporting Israel is morally corrupt: http://www.countthekids.org/

*The People's Republic of Aryan Union of Celts
*Was Aryan Union of Celts

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:04 pm

Vallermoore wrote:I have slight Asperger's syndrome and have been unemployed for most of my adult life.

Because of Asperger's, or..?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General