NATION

PASSWORD

Portuguese Colonial Wars

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Migas999
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Migas999 » Sat May 30, 2015 12:57 pm

Rio Cana wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:oil $$$ for portugal and more exploitation for angola

Portugal did not need to keep Angola to get the oil since plenty of the oil is found in the small exclave of Kabinda which they could have kept. Same thing for Spain. They controlled Equatorial Guinea. They could have given independence to the mainland part of Equatorial Guinea but could have kept the small island of Fernando Poo. The waters off Fernando Poo is where the oil is found.

I did not know that, nor do I know if that was known at the time but probably not

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sat May 30, 2015 1:44 pm

Napkiraly wrote:We're talking about the discovery of the Americas by the Old World (Europe, Middle East, North Africa, Asia). Everyone essentially knew India, China, etc were real, just didn't know a lot about them. Apart from the Norse, no one knew what lay beyond. Aaaand hate to break this to you, but the majority of human history, especially the most important bits - yeah happening in the Old World. Hence, using the term discovering the Americas.

Again, you're viewing the world through a eurocentric lens.

"Everyone essentially knew India, China, etc were real, just didn't know a lot about them."
^ What you mean is that Europeans essentially knew India, China, etc were real, just didn't know a lot about them.

Those in East Asia knew a huge amount about China. Those in Southeast Asia regularly traded with China and knew a lot about it. Those in India knew a huge amount about themselves. Those who participated in Indian Ocean trade knew a lot about India. This sentence, and the next shows that what you're not caring about is Afro-Eurasians "discovering" the Americas, but rather simply Europeans.

Despite the difficulties that come with being able to quantify "most of history" (we might as well begin and say that most history has occurred in Sub-Saharan Africa), important happenings and history length do not in any way somehow mean that the perspectives of tens of millions of Native Americans who already knew about the place they had been living in for their entire lives (and whose ancestors had lived there for over ten-thousand years) do not matter.

It's a ridiculous "I think I'm better so fuck y'all what you think doesn't matter" attitude toward Native Ameicans.
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

Migas999
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Migas999 » Sat May 30, 2015 1:51 pm

Arumdaum wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:We're talking about the discovery of the Americas by the Old World (Europe, Middle East, North Africa, Asia). Everyone essentially knew India, China, etc were real, just didn't know a lot about them. Apart from the Norse, no one knew what lay beyond. Aaaand hate to break this to you, but the majority of human history, especially the most important bits - yeah happening in the Old World. Hence, using the term discovering the Americas.

Again, you're viewing the world through a eurocentric lens.

"Everyone essentially knew India, China, etc were real, just didn't know a lot about them."
^ What you mean is that Europeans essentially knew India, China, etc were real, just didn't know a lot about them.

Those in East Asia knew a huge amount about China. Those in Southeast Asia regularly traded with China and knew a lot about it. Those in India knew a huge amount about themselves. Those who participated in Indian Ocean trade knew a lot about India. This sentence, and the next shows that what you're not caring about is Afro-Eurasians "discovering" the Americas, but rather simply Europeans.

Despite the difficulties that come with being able to quantify "most of history" (we might as well begin and say that most history has occurred in Sub-Saharan Africa), important happenings and history length do not in any way somehow mean that the perspectives of tens of millions of Native Americans who already knew about the place they had been living in for their entire lives (and whose ancestors had lived there for over ten-thousand years) do not matter.

It's a ridiculous "I think I'm better so fuck y'all what you think doesn't matter" attitude toward Native Ameicans.

And what we mean here is that Portugal and Spain were the first countries from the Old World to discover and make contact with these eastern civilizations, launching what was essentially the age of imperialism, international and global trade and colonialism
Last edited by Migas999 on Sat May 30, 2015 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sat May 30, 2015 1:58 pm

Migas999 wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:Again, you're viewing the world through a eurocentric lens.

And what we mean here is that Portugal and Spain were the first countries from the Old World to discover and make contact with these eastern civilizations, launching what was essentially the age of imperialism, international and global trade and colonialism

omg wat

india and china are part of the old world

people living there knew themselves before anyone else
Last edited by Arumdaum on Sat May 30, 2015 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Migas999
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Migas999 » Sat May 30, 2015 2:00 pm

Arumdaum wrote:
Migas999 wrote:

omg wat

Old World as in Europe, and the colonizers

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sat May 30, 2015 2:01 pm

Migas999 wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:omg wat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_World

Migas999
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Migas999 » Sat May 30, 2015 2:02 pm

Arumdaum wrote:
Migas999 wrote:

omg wat

We´re going in circles here, I mean the first nations(Portugal and Spain) to put those civilizations in european maps and subsquentely launch the greatest age of international and global trade, imperialism and colonialism
I´m not going to repeat this again

Migas999
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Migas999 » Sat May 30, 2015 2:03 pm

Arumdaum wrote:
Migas999 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_World

"regarded collectively as the part of the world known to Europeans before contact with the Americas"
Which means that the Portugal and Spain were the first nations to put Asian civilizations in contact with european civilizations

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sat May 30, 2015 2:05 pm

Migas999 wrote:

"regarded collectively as the part of the world known to Europeans before contact with the Americas"
Which means that the Portugal and Spain were the first nations to put Asian civilizations in contact with european civilizations

Huns

Mongols

Turks

Marco Polo

Silk Roads

Migas999
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Migas999 » Sat May 30, 2015 2:06 pm

Arumdaum wrote:
Migas999 wrote: "regarded collectively as the part of the world known to Europeans before contact with the Americas"

Huns

Mongols

Turks

Marco Polo

Silk Roads

Ok, then what the fuck do you consider that is the Age of Discovery that started in the XV century?

Migas999
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Migas999 » Sat May 30, 2015 2:07 pm

Arumdaum wrote:
Migas999 wrote: "regarded collectively as the part of the world known to Europeans before contact with the Americas"

Huns

Mongols

Turks

Marco Polo

Silk Roads

The first westerners is what I mean(when I refer to Portugal and Spain)

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Sat May 30, 2015 2:13 pm

Migas999 wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:Huns

Mongols

Turks

Marco Polo

Silk Roads

Marco Polo isn't a Westerner now?
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Migas999
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Migas999 » Sat May 30, 2015 2:20 pm

Threlizdun wrote:
Migas999 wrote:

Marco Polo isn't a Westerner now?

Marco Polo´s travels were for a time one of the few sources of information about China and the East, I know Marco Polo is from Venice
Portugal and Spain added a lot more information to that by being the first european(westerners) to establish trading outposts and therefore launch an even larger age of global trade
Trading outposts were cities administered by europeans such as portuguese Goa and Macau, and Portugal and Spain were the first westerners to do things of that sort
Last edited by Migas999 on Sat May 30, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Sun May 31, 2015 12:50 pm

Attempting to hold on to its colonies in the 20th century was an unwise and ethically dubious policy on the part of Portugal. I do sympathise with the Estado Novo's attempt to maintain Portugal's independence as a world power without aligning themselves with either the US or the Soviets, but ultimately the colonial empire was doomed to failure and the effort to retain it a waste of life and money. It also led to the collapse of the Estado Novo, which is something of a shame in my opinion; Salazar was a pretty decent ruler as far as dictators go, and good friend to the United Kingdom, at least in the Second World War. Portugal subsequently gained political freedom but has suffered from terrible mismanagement ever since, not to pretend that Salazar's successors or even the man himself were always the most capable leaders.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Migas999
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Migas999 » Sun May 31, 2015 2:28 pm

Old Tyrannia wrote:Attempting to hold on to its colonies in the 20th century was an unwise and ethically dubious policy on the part of Portugal. I do sympathise with the Estado Novo's attempt to maintain Portugal's independence as a world power without aligning themselves with either the US or the Soviets, but ultimately the colonial empire was doomed to failure and the effort to retain it a waste of life and money. It also led to the collapse of the Estado Novo, which is something of a shame in my opinion; Salazar was a pretty decent ruler as far as dictators go, and good friend to the United Kingdom, at least in the Second World War. Portugal subsequently gained political freedom but has suffered from terrible mismanagement ever since, not to pretend that Salazar's successors or even the man himself were always the most capable leaders.

You do know that Salazar cooperated plenty with the germans right, and even if he was a competent dictator he was a dictactor nonetheless and he had to fall, as for the mismanagement well there I agree with you Portugal´s politicians are pretty corrupt and led the country to financial disgrace

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Sun May 31, 2015 4:18 pm

Migas999 wrote:You do know that Salazar cooperated plenty with the germans right,

Salazar avoided directly opposing the Germans, but this was useful to the Allies in the grand scheme of things because it helped to keep Spain neutral as well- as the British ambassador to Portugal in 1943 put it, "strict neutrality was the price the allies paid for strategic benefits accruing from Portugal's neutrality and that if her neutrality instead of being strict had been more benevolent in our favour Spain would inevitably have thrown herself body and soul into the arms of Germany. If this had happened the Peninsula would have been occupied and then North Africa, with the result that the whole course of the war would have been altered to the advantage of the Axis."

In practice Portugal did everything it could to aid the Allies in the war and Salazar personally disliked and distrusted Hitler and the Nazis. This is all fairly well established historical fact. The Portuguese allowed the Allies to establish airbases in the Azores in 1943. Salazar also very openly criticised the racial policies of Nazi Germany and allowed as many as a million refugees to escape Europe through Portugal during the war. Salazar was most certainly not on the Germans' side.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Migas999
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Migas999 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:16 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:
Migas999 wrote:You do know that Salazar cooperated plenty with the germans right,

Salazar avoided directly opposing the Germans, but this was useful to the Allies in the grand scheme of things because it helped to keep Spain neutral as well- as the British ambassador to Portugal in 1943 put it, "strict neutrality was the price the allies paid for strategic benefits accruing from Portugal's neutrality and that if her neutrality instead of being strict had been more benevolent in our favour Spain would inevitably have thrown herself body and soul into the arms of Germany. If this had happened the Peninsula would have been occupied and then North Africa, with the result that the whole course of the war would have been altered to the advantage of the Axis."

In practice Portugal did everything it could to aid the Allies in the war and Salazar personally disliked and distrusted Hitler and the Nazis. This is all fairly well established historical fact. The Portuguese allowed the Allies to establish airbases in the Azores in 1943. Salazar also very openly criticised the racial policies of Nazi Germany and allowed as many as a million refugees to escape Europe through Portugal during the war. Salazar was most certainly not on the Germans' side.

Never said he was on the germans side but he did sell them a considerable amount of tungsten and only stopped when the english gave him no choice same thing happened with the U-boats from germany he allowed them to dock in Azores and only stopped again when the english demanded so
Also you do know that mnay jews and refugees might have entered Portugal against Salazar´s wishes right? There was for example a consul in France named Aristides de Sousa Mendes who against Salazar´s stric orders issued thousands of visas so refugees could pass trough Spain and enter Portugal, when Salazar discovered this he stripped the consul of everything he had and left him to die in poverty as punishment for disobeing a direct order

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General