NATION

PASSWORD

He Was 19 (Vietnam War Discussion Thread)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Thu May 28, 2015 2:32 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:My uncle has PTSD from Vietnam. It took him a long time to admit it and get help with it, and I was kind of relieved when I found out he was in a support group.

I think the war was wrong, but vets still deserve some sympathy and support if they're traumatized from it.

Agreed. My great-uncle got drafted and came back with a terrible alcohol problem and a Purple Heart. Never talked about the war once. Died a couple years ago.
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Thu May 28, 2015 2:43 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:My uncle has PTSD from Vietnam. It took him a long time to admit it and get help with it, and I was kind of relieved when I found out he was in a support group.

I think the war was wrong, but vets still deserve some sympathy and support if they're traumatized from it.

Agreed. My great-uncle got drafted and came back with a terrible alcohol problem and a Purple Heart. Never talked about the war once. Died a couple years ago.

I also had a great-uncle that served in Vietnam as a U.S. Army Ranger. I believe that he was actually wounded in combat, but survived. I haven't talked to him about his service, though.

Oil exporting People
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Thu May 28, 2015 2:53 pm

The New Sea Territory wrote:The failure of the Tet Offensive does not equate to America "winning".

The invasion of Normandy did not by itself win the Second World War, but it was a major part that led to the ultimate victory. Tet broke the VC and the follow up COIN strategy was effectively wiping them out. If we hadn't lost the political will to do another Linebacker on the NVA in '75, South Vietnam would've made it for instance.
National Syndicalist
“The blood of the heroes is closer to God than the ink of the philosophers and the prayers of the faithful.” - Julius Evola
Endorsing Greg "Grab 'em by the Neck" Gianforte and Brett "I Like Beer" Kavanaugh for 2020

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu May 28, 2015 3:04 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:The Americans could have won.

But they were defeated by protestors (their own). Thank goodness they weren't around in World War II.

Not unless we were going to invade the North.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu May 28, 2015 3:09 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:

That's a pity; talking would have helped. But he would need to do that with some fellow vets.

My buddy did two tours with the Rangers. He still has issues. Talks about it from time to time.....
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Glorious KASSRD
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious KASSRD » Thu May 28, 2015 3:58 pm

Absolutely hate the Vietnam War. Terrible conflict that killed millions who shouldn't have done, and in the end North Vietnam won anyways.

Hollorous
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hollorous » Thu May 28, 2015 7:42 pm

Oil exporting People wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:They didn't put a spin on it so much as it was the first time were the public had mass access to footage of what was happening.

Considering you had people like Walter Cronkite saying on the air the war was lost despite the fact the US has just destroyed the VC in the Tet Offensive....

Hollorous wrote:The North were at the peace table since '68 at least. When the Paris Peace Accords were signed, the North pretty much got everything they wanted, except for the removal of Thieu. Hard to say that Linebacker II showed anything, except you could bomb the shit out of a peasant country and call it a win, even when you achieve none of your political objectives.

Linebacker basically destroyed the North's ability to fight, as it took out resupply and such. There's a lot of primary source information regarding this I used to have saved up, with the higher ups of the North Vietnamese stating the bombings forced them to agree to the Paris Peace agreement.

That's contrary to what I've read.

Linebacker destroyed a lot of things (to clarify, Linebacker I rolled back the PAVN advance in 1972 and Linebacker II was the infamous Christmas Bombings. These get conflated sometimes), but there's no indication that it destroyed the North's ability to fight. Supplies still flowed freely through the Ho Chi Minh Trail and, at the time of signing of the Paris Agreement, the Northern army still occupied territory it had won in the Easter Offensive. Also, the North Vietnamese, at least officially, took great pains to impress that the bombing wasn't what returned them to the Paris Peace talks. Regardless, it's almost irrelevant, given that the terms were very, very favorable to them. To paraphrase a US statesmen of the time (whose name I can't recall), the USA bombed the North into accepting their concessions. In that sense, the idea that getting the North to the table was a victory in itself is something of a huge joke.

The USA didn't almost win the Vietnam War. Ever. History would have to be markedly different for that outcome to come to pass. Sure, they had the North on the ropes quite a few times (the aftermath of Tet, for instance, was a pretty dark time for them), but none of that ever come together into a meaningful victory. For comparisons sake, the Soviets and the French both arguably did better in Afghanistan and Algeria respectively. And they both still lost. In all instances, a purely military solution missed the point.

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Thu May 28, 2015 8:40 pm

Oil exporting People wrote:
The New Sea Territory wrote:The failure of the Tet Offensive does not equate to America "winning".

The invasion of Normandy did not by itself win the Second World War, but it was a major part that led to the ultimate victory.

Tet broke the VC and the follow up COIN strategy was effectively wiping them out. If we hadn't lost the political will to do another Linebacker on the NVA in '75, South Vietnam would've made it for instance.

The VC being broken and a counter-offensive against the NVA, again, does not equal "winning".
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Thu May 28, 2015 8:53 pm

Anyone who says America could have won in Vietnam first needs to define what "winning" actually means.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."

Imperial City-States
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial City-States » Thu May 28, 2015 9:03 pm

The New Sea Territory wrote:Anyone who says America could have won in Vietnam first needs to define what "winning" actually means.

My Grandfather, a Vietnam veteran who served with the 101st Airborne summed it up to me when i was younger in a rather effective manner.

"Militarily we kicked the ever living dog shit out of them. It wasn't the Military that lost. It was the People at home that lost."

I would say that Militarily the United States won. However Politically we lost. Hard.
http://www.broomdces.com/nseconomy/nations.php?nation=Imperial+City-States
"The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion, but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
"Stand in the ashes of a million dead souls and ask the ghost if honor matters."
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
"No advance in wealth, no softening of manners, no reform or revolution has ever brought human equality a millimeter nearer."
George Orwell

Unapologetically American
U.S Army

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 09, 2005
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Thu May 28, 2015 9:26 pm

Sino-Vietnam war, Vietnamese civil war, Vietnamese revolution, Vietnam's war against the Khmer Rouge, Vietnamese resistance to Japanese occupation, or are we limiting our discussion to the extent American involvement in all of the above conflicts?

Anti-piracy the old fashioned way:

Yes, those little specks on the deck are marines hopping onto the cargo-ship to engage in what they were expecting to be close-quarters battle.
-They lost three (loaded) CH-53s that day.
Knife 31; 13 dead
Knife 21; 1 dead (pilot)
Knife 23; Tail rotor blown off by RPG, successfully crash-landed on beach and disembarked its passengers.

Anyone who says America could have won in Vietnam first needs to define what "winning" actually means.

By ill-defining it, America was doomed to failure.
Anyone who gave a definition, usually could make a decent argument that they had indeed won. They just opted-out from the rematch.
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Thu May 28, 2015 9:49 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Factbook and general referance thread.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)
Due to population-cuts, military-size currently being revised

The People's Republic of Hurtful Thoughts is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Leader with an even hand, and renowned for its compulsory military service, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and smutty television.
Mokostana wrote:See, Hurty cared not if the mission succeeded or not, as long as it was spectacular trainwreck. Sometimes that was the host Nation firing a SCUD into a hospital to destroy a foreign infection and accidentally sparking a rebellion... or accidentally starting the Mokan Drug War

Blackhelm Confederacy wrote:If there was only a "like" button for NS posts....

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Thu May 28, 2015 9:47 pm

Imperial City-States wrote:
The New Sea Territory wrote:Anyone who says America could have won in Vietnam first needs to define what "winning" actually means.

My Grandfather, a Vietnam veteran who served with the 101st Airborne summed it up to me when i was younger in a rather effective manner.

"Militarily we kicked the ever living dog shit out of them. It wasn't the Military that lost. It was the People at home that lost."

I would say that Militarily the United States won. However Politically we lost. Hard.

This still doesn't define the military victory. What is "victory"? What is "winning"? What would the US have to do to succeed in Vietnam? What is "success"?

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 09, 2005
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Thu May 28, 2015 9:57 pm

The New Sea Territory wrote:
Imperial City-States wrote:

This still doesn't define the military victory. What is "victory"? What is "winning"? What would the US have to do to succeed in Vietnam? What is "success"?

Maintaining the democratic system of the Republic of (south) Vietnam during their time there, outfitting and training ARVN forces, maintaining borders (Cambodia sought several islands for opium-farming).

After the troops left, it was pretty much a fingers-crossed moment hoping they could take care of themselves long enough either for the situation to escalate until American re-intervention was politically desired by the UN *cough* ISIS, or the NVA decided that such losses were not worthwhile.
-Such did not happen, however the ensuing Chinese invasion soured Vietnam's fascination with a totalitarian communist system and thawed US-relations somewhat.

The messy end is largely why (and also because of) America's love in the idea of 'unconditional' surrender.
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Thu May 28, 2015 10:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Factbook and general referance thread.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)
Due to population-cuts, military-size currently being revised

The People's Republic of Hurtful Thoughts is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Leader with an even hand, and renowned for its compulsory military service, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and smutty television.
Mokostana wrote:See, Hurty cared not if the mission succeeded or not, as long as it was spectacular trainwreck. Sometimes that was the host Nation firing a SCUD into a hospital to destroy a foreign infection and accidentally sparking a rebellion... or accidentally starting the Mokan Drug War

Blackhelm Confederacy wrote:If there was only a "like" button for NS posts....

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Thu May 28, 2015 10:12 pm

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:Maintaining the democratic system of the Republic of (south) Vietnam during their time there, outfitting and training ARVN forces, maintaining borders (Cambodia sought several islands for opium-farming).

If victory was maintaining the South's independence, then sure, that would have been possible.

However...the Republic of Vietnam, during the American involvement in the Vietnamese conflict, was not, under any sense of the word, democratic.

The Carolines
Attaché

Founded: May 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Carolines » Thu May 28, 2015 11:11 pm

Imagine if the Vietnam War never happened. That means we would have had a significantly more subdued counterculture. The damage of the 60s would have been significantly more controlled.

Hell, Kennedy may not even have been shot and we could avoid having to suffer under Johnson and Nixon. It's like the 50s never ended.

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2014

Postby Insaeldor » Thu May 28, 2015 11:15 pm

It was a pointless war based on Cold War politics of containment and shit like that. I would have burned my draft card and moved to Canada too I'm dying in a of politics. I'll fight for the sake of America soverignty but this has nothing to with national soverignty and everything to do with bullshit politics.
Time is a prismatic uniform polyhedron

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Thu May 28, 2015 11:16 pm

Insaeldor wrote:It was a pointless war based on Cold War politics of containment and shit like that. I would have burned my draft card and moved to Canada too I'm dying in a of politics. I'll fight for the sake of America soverignty but this has nothing to with national soverignty and everything to do with bullshit politics.

Honestly, the last war like that was in 1812.
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Postby Insaeldor » Thu May 28, 2015 11:18 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Insaeldor wrote:It was a pointless war based on Cold War politics of containment and shit like that. I would have burned my draft card and moved to Canada too I'm dying in a of politics. I'll fight for the sake of America soverignty but this has nothing to with national soverignty and everything to do with bullshit politics.

I'd argue WWII of the Pacific front.

The Carolines
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Carolines » Thu May 28, 2015 11:20 pm

World War I had little to do with American sovereignty as well.

The Carolines
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Carolines » Thu May 28, 2015 11:22 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:

What about the Civil War? Most destructive conflict on our soil, and technically, the war was over the sovereignty the United States had over the seceding states.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri May 29, 2015 3:19 am

The Carolines wrote:

And in retrospect we chose the wrong side.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Postby Insaeldor » Fri May 29, 2015 3:37 am

Novus America wrote:
The Carolines wrote:

And whys that?

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri May 29, 2015 3:38 am

Glorious KASSRD wrote:Absolutely hate the Vietnam War. Terrible conflict that killed millions who shouldn't have done, and in the end North Vietnam won anyways.

Did the North really win in the end? Certainly their ideals of the time did not. Modern Vietnam very closely resembles South Vietnam, as a capitalist, corrupt, authoritarian regime with good foreign and trade relations with the US. The North conquered the South, and became the South. The cruel irony of the war is had the South "won" the end result in the long term would only be a different flag. Not actually a substantially different political or economic system. Again it really all depends on how you define winning, but if it really was a battle against Communism, well Communism lost in the end.

That is what is so fascinating about the war, the bizarre irony of it all. It is real, and yet more full of irony and paradox than a fiction deliberately written to exemplify those concepts.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri May 29, 2015 3:47 am

Insaeldor wrote:
Novus America wrote:

And whys that?

Unlike WWII, Germany was no worse than the Entente. Sure they did some bad things, but so did the Entente. Had Germany won in WWI, there would have been no WWII, no Holocaust, no Holodomor. Literally nearly 100 million lives saved. Also the Middle East probably would not be so screwed up. Sure you would have a German dominated Europe, but that happened anyway.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Postby Insaeldor » Fri May 29, 2015 3:55 am

Novus America wrote:
Insaeldor wrote:And whys that?

Unlike WWII, Germany was no worse than the Entente. Sure they did some bad things, but so did the Entente. Had Germany won in WWI, there would have been no WWII, no Holocaust, no Holodomor. Literally nearly 100 million lives saved. Also the Middle East probably would not be so screwed up. Sure you would have a German dominated Europe, but that happened anyway.

Well I think we've got another history discussion thread :p

Any ways I'll just leave it at america had no reason to involve itself in Europe war. Plus the aftermath would have been far worse if the U.S. went to the Germans lossing side. Sure the Imperial Getman army was possible the best army of the 20th century but the descent in the ranks, food shortages, and increased influence of anti-war Leftist were all contributubg to Getmans downfall far more harshly then it was in France and England. Seriously though I'm actually glade Wilson negotiated it the way he did i have little reason to believe the Entante would have been nicer to Germany. Let's also not forget the colapse of the Ottamans and Austro-Hungarians was executable even if the Central Powers won and England and France would have carved in all the same. Plus you have the Zimmermen Telegraph basically asking Mexico to Invade the U.S. so the Germans didn't have to deal with America and the unrestricted submarine warfare waged by the Germans kinda pushed our alleginces as well.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General