NATION

PASSWORD

Thoughts on Death.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Opinions on death

I'm not afraid of death: I know that the afterlife will be good to me.
24%
I'm afraid of dying: I'm not sure if the afterlife would be that great for me.
6%
I'm not afraid of dying: I believe that there's nothing after life and I'm cool with that.
34%
I'm deeply afraid of dying: The idea of there being nothing afterward just makes it worse.
22%
I'm not sure.
13%

Total votes : 198

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri May 22, 2015 7:23 pm

The Princes of the Universe wrote:
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Every night I go to bed asking myself why I didn't kill myself today. Then I remember my biggest fear isn't dying. It's being alone.

Don't do it, hon. As much as shit sucks now, tomorrow is a near-blank slate. A winning lottery ticket could blow into your hands!

And I could secretly be a reincarnation if King of the Galaxy and establish myself as supreme overlord of the Milky Way and be able to control bees.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Fri May 22, 2015 7:24 pm

Galloism wrote:
The Princes of the Universe wrote:Don't do it, hon. As much as shit sucks now, tomorrow is a near-blank slate. A winning lottery ticket could blow into your hands!

And I could secretly be a reincarnation if King of the Galaxy and establish myself as supreme overlord of the Milky Way and be able to control bees.

Not the bees!
Unreachable.

The Princes of the Universe
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Princes of the Universe » Fri May 22, 2015 7:24 pm

Galloism wrote:
The Princes of the Universe wrote:Don't do it, hon. As much as shit sucks now, tomorrow is a near-blank slate. A winning lottery ticket could blow into your hands!

I'm slightly drunk; it was the best I could come up with! So sue me.
Pro dolorosa Eius passione, miserere nobis et totius mundi.

In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.
Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatoris.

People of the Goddess Danu
Lobbyist

Founded: May 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby People of the Goddess Danu » Fri May 22, 2015 7:29 pm

You ask for my thoughts on death?

Well for the afterlife, lets just call it "The Otherworld" because it can be all afterlives at once, but for my death I would at least like an honorable one, or if that is not possible so brutal that I am avenged with the harshest manners.

Death, is just our souls leaving the bodies that we lived in, and even grew in, honestly I don't want to die right now, that wouldn't be honorable. Literally just falling over on a computer doesn't seem very honorable. Death from a bullet would be horrible though, because you don't really get the chance to see the world for the last time, Death can be sad, but it can also be great. From my experience Death always win against the body, but it cannot win against a soul or spirit. I hope that our afterlife will be good, so we can play hurling with giants, that's what I want at least.
Hey check out my roleplay OOC. https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=342132

I don't have an IC yet.

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Fri May 22, 2015 7:38 pm

I want to fly and jump with my dead cat in the pine trees. But hurling giants is cool too.
Orthodox Christian, Nationalist, Reactionary, Stoic

(2 Kings 2:23-25): you won't be dissappointed

The United Colonies of Earth
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Fri May 22, 2015 7:57 pm

I'd rather not think about it. It's terrifying.
The United Colonies of Earth exists:
to bring about the settlement of all planets not yet inhabited by a sapient species within this Galaxy and Universe by the Human Race, or all members of the species Homo sapiens;
to ensure the observation and protection of the rights of all human beings;
to defend humankind from invasion, catastrophe, fraud and violence;
to represent the interests of humankind to the other governments of the Galaxy;
to facilitate the perpetuation of the unity of human civilization and infrastructure between otherwise self-governing colonies;
and to promote technological advancement and scientific discovery for the perpetuation and expansion of the unity and empowerment of all human beings.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

The Princes of the Universe
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Princes of the Universe » Fri May 22, 2015 8:00 pm

Republic of the Cristo wrote:I want to fly and jump with my dead cat in the pine trees. But hurling giants is cool too.

My kitty... I miss her so much. Hopefully the good Lord lets me snuggle her again in the world to come.
Pro dolorosa Eius passione, miserere nobis et totius mundi.

In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.
Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatoris.

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Fri May 22, 2015 8:08 pm

The Princes of the Universe wrote:
Republic of the Cristo wrote:I want to fly and jump with my dead cat in the pine trees. But hurling giants is cool too.

My kitty... I miss her so much. Hopefully the good Lord lets me snuggle her again in the world to come.

:hug:
Orthodox Christian, Nationalist, Reactionary, Stoic

(2 Kings 2:23-25): you won't be dissappointed

Singaporean Transhumans
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Singaporean Transhumans » Fri May 22, 2015 8:18 pm

It is when we transfer our own sentience to another state, a state in which the sentience of the living can not contact with.....or learn about...
SYNCRETIC COMBINE - SINKRETIČKE KOMBINAT
Factbook - Trobojka
JEDNOM ZAUVEK - ARMIJA SINKOMSKA

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Fri May 22, 2015 8:19 pm

Singaporean Transhumans wrote:It is when we transfer our own sentience to another state, a state in which the sentience of the living can not contact with.....or learn about...

So how do you know this "state" exists if you can't even learn about it?
TG me. Just do it.

Tafhan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Tafhan » Fri May 22, 2015 8:19 pm

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:
Galloism wrote:And I could secretly be a reincarnation if King of the Galaxy and establish myself as supreme overlord of the Milky Way and be able to control bees.

Not the bees!

Seriously though, Don't do it. Facing your problems and finding someone who cares about you, (And there inevitably will be) is always the better road. there's always some sort of meaning that people end up finding if they put effort into it. Which you won't be finding much of If you give up like that.

Call the local suicide hotline if you have problems. They're good for this sort of thing, trust me.
|We are few, but we are bitter|

A Theocracy done the right way ( almost ) all of the time.
We are not a Muslim nation
OOC
My nation does not necessarily represent my irl views…kinda.

Vallermoore
Senator

Founded: Mar 27, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Vallermoore » Fri May 22, 2015 10:34 pm

Nierra wrote:
Aalmark wrote:All I know is that when I'm dead, I sure as hell won't be thinking.

And I don't like that :c

I sincerely hope at least I have the ability to think for all of eternity. I quite enjoy my thoughts.

When your thoughts are "My leg itches and I can't scratch and there are maggots on my face and it's so dark and smelly in this coffin" if you are buried and "Owowcharrrrrghh I'M BURNING" if you are cremated you would not enjoy your thoughts so much.

Imperial City-States
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial City-States » Sat May 23, 2015 12:06 am

Well it's a simple question with nothing but complex answers. I personally like to look at multiple avenues when it comes to death. I know what i'd like to believe and i know what's true.

What i want to believe:

I personally follow on the fairly stereotypical Nordic Pagan ideas of Valhalla and that whole gig because personally. Partying all night and fighting all day for the Apocalypse doesn't seem half bad. But that really goes for if i fall in Battle. On the other hand i really like the Buddhist concept of Reincarnation as well as the whole concepts of Karma.

What i know is true:

Death is permanent. While i do like, and hope the idea of God(s) is real to an extent (no matter how grim) i do not hide behind the facade that death is something a magical deity can somehow avert. I view life in the manner that my sole purpose is be the best person that i can possibly be before the end of the road. Life, is tied in with death. The Life is a journey, it is about what you do that makes Life and in turn, Death worth while. Death may be the inevitable 'final destination' but life is the travels in between. It isn't about how much money you make, how successful you are but rather how you touch others. You only truly ever 'die' if the memory of you is lost to those you love and are close to. The key to immortality in a spiritual sense, is to live on in the thoughts, memories and experiences of those who you've effected in your life.
Last edited by Imperial City-States on Sat May 23, 2015 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.broomdces.com/nseconomy/nations.php?nation=Imperial+City-States
"The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion, but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
"Stand in the ashes of a million dead souls and ask the ghost if honor matters."
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
"No advance in wealth, no softening of manners, no reform or revolution has ever brought human equality a millimeter nearer."
George Orwell

Unapologetically American
U.S Army

Warpspace
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Warpspace » Sat May 23, 2015 1:35 am

Complacency with death is utterly absurd. Whatever scant purpose is achieved in the universe, it is only done through continuing to exist. Hell, thanks to depression or some other mental disorder I suffer from suicidal thoughts from the emotional side of my brain, but thanks to my logic I find the idea of death utterly terrifying- oblivion is to be avoided at all costs. Any existence is preferable to nonexistence- your life, no matter how horrible, can only improve.

Death is unacceptable, the destruction of the mind is not something to be taken lying down.
If we affirm one moment, we thus affirm not only ourselves but all existence. For nothing is self-sufficient, neither in us ourselves nor in things; and if our soul has trembled with happiness and sounded like a harp string just once, all eternity was needed to produce this one event—and in this single moment of affirmation all eternity was called good, redeemed, justified, and affirmed.
- Friedrich Nietzsche -

I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.

Singaporean Transhumans
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Singaporean Transhumans » Sat May 23, 2015 3:40 am

Steamtopia wrote:
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:It is when we transfer our own sentience to another state, a state in which the sentience of the living can not contact with.....or learn about...

So how do you know this "state" exists if you can't even learn about it?

Well, non-existence can be a state.
SYNCRETIC COMBINE - SINKRETIČKE KOMBINAT
Factbook - Trobojka
JEDNOM ZAUVEK - ARMIJA SINKOMSKA

Frasers
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Frasers » Sat May 23, 2015 3:49 am

Republic of the Cristo wrote:I am afraid of death, just as 99.99% of the population is

speak for yourself, I don't think it's that high

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Sat May 23, 2015 5:31 am

Warpspace wrote:Complacency with death is utterly absurd. Whatever scant purpose is achieved in the universe, it is only done through continuing to exist. Hell, thanks to depression or some other mental disorder I suffer from suicidal thoughts from the emotional side of my brain, but thanks to my logic I find the idea of death utterly terrifying- oblivion is to be avoided at all costs. Any existence is preferable to nonexistence- your life, no matter how horrible, can only improve.

Death is unacceptable, the destruction of the mind is not something to be taken lying down.

I suppose that is fine when you are young and death seems far away. when you are old like me (57!) you start to see that there are things far worse than death and that it is useless to fight something that is going to happen no matter what. we all die.
whatever

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Sat May 23, 2015 6:26 am

Singaporean Transhumans wrote:
Steamtopia wrote:So how do you know this "state" exists if you can't even learn about it?

Well, non-existence can be a state.

Under what definition?
TG me. Just do it.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sat May 23, 2015 6:34 am

I'm not afraid of the actual act of death itself, nor non-existence afterwards, as much as just being non-existent is depressing.

Everything I do in life is for nothing. Eventually I'll be forgotten, I'll never be able to see the long term future success or failure of humanity as a whole. I most likely while not meet my great grand children, if I ever have children. The concept of my reality being abolished when my biological self dies completely renders my life and achievements as pointless and worthless.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sat May 23, 2015 6:39 am

Nierra wrote:
Aalmark wrote:All I know is that when I'm dead, I sure as hell won't be thinking.

And I don't like that :c

I sincerely hope at least I have the ability to think for all of eternity. I quite enjoy my thoughts.

That would be torture more miserable then any form of pain that could ever physically be inflicted on you in your physical life.

Just being there in all a empty void with only my thoughts would drive me mad. It would be horrendously boring beyond anything we could comprehend. I hope that when I die, if non-existence is what happens after death, that I'm not self-aware of my own non-existence.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Frasers
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Frasers » Sat May 23, 2015 7:04 am

Pandeeria wrote:The concept of my reality being abolished when my biological self dies completely renders my life and achievements as pointless and worthless.

Ah but it doesn't though, in fact it's the total opposite. This life is all you will ever know or experience, and you are your own little self contained universe. Literally everything matters and has a point

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sat May 23, 2015 7:09 am

Frasers wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:The concept of my reality being abolished when my biological self dies completely renders my life and achievements as pointless and worthless.

Ah but it doesn't though, in fact it's the total opposite. This life is all you will ever know or experience, and you are your own little self contained universe. Literally everything matters and has a point

No, not really. When my self-contained universe is inevitably destroyed, it will be rendered useless. It's like doing a bunch of paper work only for you to go and burn it all the moment you're done. Once you die, your work and achievements are gone from your view. And in time, you will be forgotten just like everyone else.

Frasers
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Frasers » Sat May 23, 2015 7:13 am

Pandeeria wrote:No, not really. When my self-contained universe is inevitably destroyed, it will be rendered useless. It's like doing a bunch of paper work only for you to go and burn it all the moment you're done. Once you die, your work and achievements are gone from your view. And in time, you will be forgotten just like everyone else.

right but again none of that matters. it won't matter that you're gone, because you'll be gone. What matters is filling your limited time up with really good personal experiences and having the most fun you can with it

I am not doing any of these things but it's solid advice.

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Sat May 23, 2015 7:41 am

Pandeeria wrote:
Frasers wrote:

No, not really. When my self-contained universe is inevitably destroyed, it will be rendered useless. It's like doing a bunch of paper work only for you to go and burn it all the moment you're done. Once you die, your work and achievements are gone from your view. And in time, you will be forgotten just like everyone else.
Except you are still alive right now, and you will see the benefits of having the best life you possibly can. Those around you can likewise benefit from your actions, and you can create a legacy lasting long after your own death.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Sat May 23, 2015 8:56 am

Pandeeria wrote:
Frasers wrote:

Sure, they're gone from our view, but we leave them behind for the betterment of the world, hopefully.
And maybe people won't always remember your name, or my name. But they'll remember the good you did, and the light you left behind. :)
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General