NATION

PASSWORD

Conversion from Theism to Atheism

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Mon May 18, 2015 3:35 pm

Cyrisnia wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:Well I am not an atheist, but I have experienced doubt, which is what eventually led me to turn away from fundamentalism.

You were a fundie? :blink:

Pretty much. My mother had some fundamentalist beliefs that she passed on to me.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Mon May 18, 2015 3:36 pm

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:
Hanging Garden wrote:I appear to be going through a period of heavy religious doubt, since I partook in a thread about criminal systems. For some reason, I ended up contradicting myself, eventually reasoning that nothing exists, and then I just sort of lost it from there.

Point being, I perceive this as a conversion- or a transition- from theism to atheism. For some reason I don't really believe that there is a god anymore. Anyway, is this merely a "phase", in which I will find theism again, or is atheism more of a permanent position? I am fairly new to the concept of atheism, so forgive me for any ignorance or naivety. I am just really confused.

Well, if you get convinced, you could become a theist again. But perhaps you'll be an atheist.
Someone has probably already posted this, but I'll do it again.
RationalWiki's Frequently asked questions of the newly deconverted. That website helped me come to terms with my atheism as I became conscious of it (personally I've been an atheist all my life, almost). Good luck in your life.
Equusia wrote:
I find myself perfectly satisfied as a biological organism living in a (somewhat) advanced society with other biological organisms! I find it amazing how I can contemplate my existence in the first place. :)

It terrifies me, frankly.

Yup. Still, it's a nice adrenaline jolt when you have the occasional existential nightmare about how you're nothing more than an accident of chemistry, brought into the universe with the unique torture of being able to realize your utter insignificance in the grand scheme of things.

Sometimes I envy those of faith.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Dalcaria
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dalcaria » Mon May 18, 2015 3:38 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
Cyrisnia wrote:You were a fundie? :blink:

Pretty much. My mother had some fundamentalist beliefs that she passed on to me.

When I was younger I was much closer to that as well (though not quite as bad as some). Had really nothing to do with family, more to do just with the popular "Christian Culture", which was getting heavily influenced by the US. This changed when I was in grade 9 or 10 perhaps, not sure. So back around 2009 or 2010 I think, not 100% sure.
"Take Fascism and remove the racism, ultra-nationalism, oppression, murder, and replace these things with proper civil rights and freedoms and what do you get? Us, a much stronger and more free nation than most."
"Tell me, is it still a 'revolution' or 'liberation' when you are killing our men, women, and children in front of us for not allowing themselves to be 'saved' by you? Call Communism and Democracy whatever you want, but to our people they're both the same thing; Oppression."
"You say manifest destiny, I say act of war. You're free to disagree with me, but I tend to make my arguments with a gun."
Since everyone does one of these: Impeach Democracy, Legalize Monarchy, Incompetent leadership is theft.

The 93rd Coalition
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The 93rd Coalition » Mon May 18, 2015 3:39 pm

Yeah, NationStates does that to you.

See, the internet is like a piece of dark chocolate. Ingesting it feels good at first, makes you feel sophisticated, but then the bitterness sets in. And then when you see exactly what you're dealing with, you feel disgusting inside.

I can't say I have made the transition you have, but know at least that I, and others, can empathize with your situation, in a hardcore manner. Being exposed to this site at such a malleable age, while simultaneously being trained up in the strictures of the Catholic Church, is not fun. It feels like you're being in separate directions, while the direction you want to go in - for me, theism - is extremely difficult to accept. Like you, I was born and raised into something of a traditionalist family, although my mother is an extraordinarily epic and tolerant individual.

If I have one piece of advice to give you, it's "doubt everything." This has, in my experience, truly been the wisest policy. Everything has bias, rumor and speculation attached to it - although certain religious foundations are more guilty of this than most. Never base your belief on certainties, because generally most of those are debatable in some way. Get multiple sources, multiple viewpoints, and your own store of knowledge - then find out what fits with you.

This too shall pass. Don't worry.
Last edited by The 93rd Coalition on Mon May 18, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon May 18, 2015 3:39 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
The United Colonies of Earth wrote:Well, if you get convinced, you could become a theist again. But perhaps you'll be an atheist.
RationalWiki's Frequently asked questions of the newly deconverted. That website helped me come to terms with my atheism as I became conscious of it (personally I've been an atheist all my life, almost). Good luck in your life.

Yup. Still, it's a nice adrenaline jolt when you have the occasional existential nightmare about how you're nothing more than an accident of chemistry, brought into the universe with the unique torture of being able to realize your utter insignificance in the grand scheme of things.

I see it differently. I see it as amazing,as something truly special. For a moment in time the chemicals have come to together and formed me, and that the stuff that make up me is star dust, and will sometime return to be dust.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Mon May 18, 2015 3:42 pm

Dalcaria wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:Pretty much. My mother had some fundamentalist beliefs that she passed on to me.

When I was younger I was much closer to that as well (though not quite as bad as some). Had really nothing to do with family, more to do just with the popular "Christian Culture", which was getting heavily influenced by the US. This changed when I was in grade 9 or 10 perhaps, not sure. So back around 2009 or 2010 I think, not 100% sure.

I began to shift away from fundamentalism around the 9th grade as well. This also coincided with my increase exposure to the internet and exposure to viewpoints other than radical fundamentalism, which is what helped me see the other side of things.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Mon May 18, 2015 3:44 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:Yup. Still, it's a nice adrenaline jolt when you have the occasional existential nightmare about how you're nothing more than an accident of chemistry, brought into the universe with the unique torture of being able to realize your utter insignificance in the grand scheme of things.

I see it differently. I see it as amazing,as something truly special. For a moment in time the chemicals have come to together and formed me, and that the stuff that make up me is star dust, and will sometime return to be dust.

Well, sure, it's all incredible and miraculous and all that shit. The fact that sapient life evolved on Earth at exactly the time when the moon has a large enough orbit to almost but not quite entirely block out the sun is absolutely fucking amazing (and I can't even begin to imagine how low the odds of it happening that way were), but that doesn't stop the terror from setting in when I consider the possibility that I will simply stop when this meat shell finally gives in.
~~~~~~~~

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon May 18, 2015 3:46 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:I see it differently. I see it as amazing,as something truly special. For a moment in time the chemicals have come to together and formed me, and that the stuff that make up me is star dust, and will sometime return to be dust.

Well, sure, it's all incredible and miraculous and all that shit. The fact that sapient life evolved on Earth at exactly the time when the moon has a large enough orbit to almost but not quite entirely block out the sun is absolutely fucking amazing (and I can't even begin to imagine how low the odds of it happening that way were), but that doesn't stop the terror from setting in when I consider the possibility that I will simply stop when this meat shell finally gives in.

Death both does and doesn't scare me. I think in the end it is a relief, that knowledge that I will not have to spend an eternity doing anything, that at some point I will eventual no longer exist.

As for the other, not so uncommon.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Mon May 18, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just A Little though

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Mon May 18, 2015 3:46 pm

Hanging Garden wrote:I appear to be going through a period of heavy religious doubt, since I partook in a thread about criminal systems. For some reason, I ended up contradicting myself, eventually reasoning that nothing exists, and then I just sort of lost it from there.

Point being, I perceive this as a conversion- or a transition- from theism to atheism. For some reason I don't really believe that there is a god anymore. Anyway, is this merely a "phase", in which I will find theism again, or is atheism more of a permanent position? I am fairly new to the concept of atheism, so forgive me for any ignorance or naivety. I am just really confused.

Both is possible, as it is possible to go back from atheism to theism again.
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Apraxia
Civilian

Founded: Jul 27, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Apraxia » Mon May 18, 2015 3:46 pm

Full disclosure: I'm atheist. That being said, I was raised in a Catholic household and that God was in all things. When I was a teenager, I stopped wanting to go to church because it was boring, as it is for many kids. It wasn't until my mom asked me why I didn't want to go to church that I actually thought about it. As we discussed it, I began to realize how little of an impact the church and God really had on me. It was scary. All my life I was taught that God will take care of us and when I stopped believing, suddenly I was walking a tightrope without a net. Life can end at any point and no one to "save" you. I tried to go back to the church to try and reinstate my belief, but I started seeing everything from brand new eyes and, to me, it was just clear as day that it was all ritualistic repetition for something that could never be proven. At that point, I began to live my life without a saviour, but with a purpose. I was going to live a good life as a good person and study and work hard, get into grad school, start a family and so on and so forth.

My point is that your faith is your own and no one can tell you how to live your life. It's scary when something that's always been a part of your life is suddenly no longer there. You need to discover your purpose. In the end, you live your life exactly as you would have anyway. Atheism doesn't exactly take you down a road of darkness and despair where you'll give in to drugs and become a raving psychopathic murderer. No. Life goes on. It isn't God that keeps pushing us forward. It's our purpose that does. If your purpose is "because God said so", you may want to reexamine a few things. Otherwise, life moves forward. Whether you believe or not, it's your inner peace that's being questioned. You will find it. Have faith in yourself. If God is real, then He'll be proud of you, too. If not, then you'll be proud of yourself and so will the people who care about you.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Mon May 18, 2015 3:48 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:Well, sure, it's all incredible and miraculous and all that shit. The fact that sapient life evolved on Earth at exactly the time when the moon has a large enough orbit to almost but not quite entirely block out the sun is absolutely fucking amazing (and I can't even begin to imagine how low the odds of it happening that way were), but that doesn't stop the terror from setting in when I consider the possibility that I will simply stop when this meat shell finally gives in.

Death both does and doesn't scare me. I think in the end it is a relief, that knowledge that I will not have to spend an eternity doing anything, that at some point I will eventual no longer exist.

Fuck that, I want to live forever. Not just because death scares me, but because there's so much to do. If I decided that I wanted to see everything just on Earth I could never manage it, because by the time I had finished seeing it everything would have changed.
~~~~~~~~

Dalcaria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dalcaria » Mon May 18, 2015 3:49 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
Dalcaria wrote:When I was younger I was much closer to that as well (though not quite as bad as some). Had really nothing to do with family, more to do just with the popular "Christian Culture", which was getting heavily influenced by the US. This changed when I was in grade 9 or 10 perhaps, not sure. So back around 2009 or 2010 I think, not 100% sure.

I began to shift away from fundamentalism around the 9th grade as well. This also coincided with my increase exposure to the internet and exposure to viewpoints other than radical fundamentalism, which is what helped me see the other side of things.

Agreed on that. Ironically, I'd almost say the internet has given me a better scope of my faith than before as well. I've come to conclusions that things (like gay marriage for instance) aren't things we really need to involve ourselves in. Let people do what they want in that area, our spiritual obligations start and end with ourselves, not anyone else. We can reach out to people who want to learn, certainly, but we have no right to enforce our values on people. Learned that just through years of debating, and finally asking myself "what would God ultimately want?" Well, I wish more people came to this conclusion, but he wants us to love him, and love everyone else. Keeping gay marriage banned is neither loving them, nor bringing them closer to God, so how can we even consider this pointless use of force to be "God's will"?

Anyways, I digress, but that is one of the benefits to having spent time on here I think.
"Take Fascism and remove the racism, ultra-nationalism, oppression, murder, and replace these things with proper civil rights and freedoms and what do you get? Us, a much stronger and more free nation than most."
"Tell me, is it still a 'revolution' or 'liberation' when you are killing our men, women, and children in front of us for not allowing themselves to be 'saved' by you? Call Communism and Democracy whatever you want, but to our people they're both the same thing; Oppression."
"You say manifest destiny, I say act of war. You're free to disagree with me, but I tend to make my arguments with a gun."
Since everyone does one of these: Impeach Democracy, Legalize Monarchy, Incompetent leadership is theft.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon May 18, 2015 3:49 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

Fuck that, I want to live forever. Not just because death scares me, but because there's so much to do. If I decided that I wanted to see everything just on Earth I could never manage it, because by the time I had finished seeing it everything would have changed.

Shrugs, to each their own.
Just A Little though

The United Colonies of Earth
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Mon May 18, 2015 3:50 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
The United Colonies of Earth wrote:Well, if you get convinced, you could become a theist again. But perhaps you'll be an atheist.

Yep, it hurts at times. Most of the dumb shit I do is probably to distract me from that.
The United Colonies of Earth exists:
to bring about the settlement of all planets not yet inhabited by a sapient species within this Galaxy and Universe by the Human Race, or all members of the species Homo sapiens;
to ensure the observation and protection of the rights of all human beings;
to defend humankind from invasion, catastrophe, fraud and violence;
to represent the interests of humankind to the other governments of the Galaxy;
to facilitate the perpetuation of the unity of human civilization and infrastructure between otherwise self-governing colonies;
and to promote technological advancement and scientific discovery for the perpetuation and expansion of the unity and empowerment of all human beings.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Mon May 18, 2015 3:50 pm

Sounds to me as if you're a bit disconcerted by this realization, as if a part of you still feels as if you should continue to believe, even if the rest of you has made the decision to forego such things.

Everybody's journey is their own to take, you can only listen to arguments and decide for yourself. Though I would say in this case that the critical element is how critically you are willing to consider all arguments. Do you want evidence, or do you want affirmation? Do you want to see for yourself, or are you willing to take the word of another on it?

For perspective, my evolution to atheism (heh, c wut I did thar?) was a bunch of tiny steps that eventually led to me deciding that there wasn't really a point in believing in anything other than my own intrinsic desire to be a good person. Some would say that the desire to do good would be the influence of God, and I personally find that insulting. I want to do things for myself, and I want to improve the world around me, not because I feel some obligation to do so, but just because I freaking CAN... and it'd be kind of douchey not to.

It is up to you. Make your own decision.

And having seen the post where you mentioned your religious parents, I would suggest holding off on telling them until you are more concrete in your position. Just a suggestion tho.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Mon May 18, 2015 3:50 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

You can't live forever. Technology may be able to advance to a point where you could upload your consciousness to a computer or something like that, but I doubt it will happen in the near future.

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Founded: Jan 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Mon May 18, 2015 3:50 pm

Neutraligon wrote:Death both does and doesn't scare me. I think in the end it is a relief, that knowledge that I will not have to spend an eternity doing anything, that at some point I will eventual no longer exist.

As for the other, not so uncommon.

Eh, I intend to live forever via transhumanism.

I don't necessarily believe that it will be possible in my lifetime for me to do so, but given the chance I see no reason not to take it.

The United Colonies of Earth
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Mon May 18, 2015 3:52 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

I would like to live forever too. Only when I feel that my work is done will I give in to the end, and die. But right now, it just feels like my life is a longer version of a weekend: a zillion things to do in a time that passes before you can fully comprehend it.
But, I digress, and must at least finish my homework...
The United Colonies of Earth exists:
to bring about the settlement of all planets not yet inhabited by a sapient species within this Galaxy and Universe by the Human Race, or all members of the species Homo sapiens;
to ensure the observation and protection of the rights of all human beings;
to defend humankind from invasion, catastrophe, fraud and violence;
to represent the interests of humankind to the other governments of the Galaxy;
to facilitate the perpetuation of the unity of human civilization and infrastructure between otherwise self-governing colonies;
and to promote technological advancement and scientific discovery for the perpetuation and expansion of the unity and empowerment of all human beings.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Mon May 18, 2015 3:53 pm

Dalcaria wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:I began to shift away from fundamentalism around the 9th grade as well. This also coincided with my increase exposure to the internet and exposure to viewpoints other than radical fundamentalism, which is what helped me see the other side of things.

Agreed on that. Ironically, I'd almost say the internet has given me a better scope of my faith than before as well. I've come to conclusions that things (like gay marriage for instance) aren't things we really need to involve ourselves in. Let people do what they want in that area, our spiritual obligations start and end with ourselves, not anyone else. We can reach out to people who want to learn, certainly, but we have no right to enforce our values on people. Learned that just through years of debating, and finally asking myself "what would God ultimately want?" Well, I wish more people came to this conclusion, but he wants us to love him, and love everyone else. Keeping gay marriage banned is neither loving them, nor bringing them closer to God, so how can we even consider this pointless use of force to be "God's will"?

Anyways, I digress, but that is one of the benefits to having spent time on here I think.

I pretty much agree with you.

I ended up coming to the conclusion that fundamentalism does not truly represent Jesus or his teachings, as fundamentalists often like to claim. What infuriates me most is that they have turned a religion that is supposed to be about love into a religion of hate, bigotry, and ignorance. It's disgusting.

These people want to force their beliefs on others in order to make themselves feel better.

Dalcaria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dalcaria » Mon May 18, 2015 3:53 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:Fuck that, I want to live forever. Not just because death scares me, but because there's so much to do. If I decided that I wanted to see everything just on Earth I could never manage it, because by the time I had finished seeing it everything would have changed.

You can't live forever. Technology may be able to advance to a point where you could upload your consciousness to a computer or something like that, but I doubt it will happen in the near future.

Well, the human mind can also only comprehend so much. I think the older someone gets, and the more things change and they learn, the closer they get to total mental collapse. Could be wrong on that, but I did think I heard about that in a science article, or maybe "Through The Wormhole".

The Nexus of Man
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nexus of Man » Mon May 18, 2015 3:54 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:Fuck that, I want to live forever. Not just because death scares me, but because there's so much to do. If I decided that I wanted to see everything just on Earth I could never manage it, because by the time I had finished seeing it everything would have changed.

I would like to live forever too. Only when I feel that my work is done will I give in to the end, and die. But right now, it just feels like my life is a longer version of a weekend: a zillion things to do in a time that passes before you can fully comprehend it.
But, I digress, and must at least finish my homework...

Looking into astronomy can actually help you with that. Y'know, becoming an addition to an ever-expanding universe.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Mon May 18, 2015 3:54 pm

Neutraligon wrote:

I'll think of you as I watch Earth fall into the sun.

The Orson Empire wrote:

I know, and I absolutely hate that. The best I can do is hope that that sort of thing is available and widespread before I die, and try to eke out as much enjoyment as I can in case it doesn't happen.
~~~~~~~~

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Mon May 18, 2015 3:55 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:Yup. Still, it's a nice adrenaline jolt when you have the occasional existential nightmare about how you're nothing more than an accident of chemistry, brought into the universe with the unique torture of being able to realize your utter insignificance in the grand scheme of things.

Yep, it hurts at times. Most of the dumb shit I do is probably to distract me from that.

It's probably a reason why so many people believe there's more to it.
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Mon May 18, 2015 3:57 pm

I converted to atheism by sacrificing a lamb to Atheismo during the solar eclipse.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon May 18, 2015 3:57 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

I'll think of you as I watch Earth fall into the sun.

The Orson Empire wrote:You can't live forever. Technology may be able to advance to a point where you could upload your consciousness to a computer or something like that, but I doubt it will happen in the near future.

I know, and I absolutely hate that. The best I can do is hope that that sort of thing is available and widespread before I die, and try to eke out as much enjoyment as I can in case it doesn't happen.

Have fun. By the way I agree living longer, seeing more, is something I want (as long as those I love are also with me), but I do not want eternity.
Just A Little though

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General