NATION

PASSWORD

Conversion from Theism to Atheism

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Hanging Garden
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Conversion from Theism to Atheism

Postby Hanging Garden » Mon May 18, 2015 2:54 pm

I appear to be going through a period of heavy religious doubt, since I partook in a thread about criminal systems. For some reason, I ended up contradicting myself, eventually reasoning that nothing exists, and then I just sort of lost it from there.

Point being, I perceive this as a conversion- or a transition- from theism to atheism. For some reason I don't really believe that there is a god anymore. Anyway, is this merely a "phase", in which I will find theism again, or is atheism more of a permanent position? I am fairly new to the concept of atheism, so forgive me for any ignorance or naivety. I am just really confused.
The new Hanging Garden has stood up- let power come to the people.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Mon May 18, 2015 2:57 pm

Were you proselytized? Did some mean atheist twist your arm, manipulate your emotions?

Because that is how old time evangelists used to work.

Otherwise, be free in your conscience; it is your only judge.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Founded: Jan 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Mon May 18, 2015 2:57 pm

No one can possibly answer that for you but yourself.

That said, plenty of people deconvert to Atheism for life. (It's not a conversion because atheism isn't a religion.)

Here's a blog by another recent deconvert that might be helpful for some of the things you're going through.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/yearwithoutgod/

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Mon May 18, 2015 2:58 pm

Hanging Garden wrote:...since I partook in a thread about criminal systems. For some reason, I ended up contradicting myself, eventually reasoning that nothing exists, and then I just sort of lost it from there.

Well that escalated quickly. *promptly laughs ass off*
Hanging Garden wrote:Point being, I perceive this as a conversion- or a transition- from theism to atheism. For some reason I don't really believe that there is a god anymore. Anyway, is this merely a "phase", in which I will find theism again, or is atheism more of a permanent position? I am fairly new to the concept of atheism, so forgive me for any ignorance or naivety. I am just really confused.

Pretty rare that someone goes from theism to atheism back to theism, in personal experience. I doubt you'll go back, unless you very deliberately delude yourself for the sake of mental security.
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Mon May 18, 2015 2:59 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Hanging Garden wrote:...since I partook in a thread about criminal systems. For some reason, I ended up contradicting myself, eventually reasoning that nothing exists, and then I just sort of lost it from there.

Hanging Garden wrote:Point being, I perceive this as a conversion- or a transition- from theism to atheism. For some reason I don't really believe that there is a god anymore. Anyway, is this merely a "phase", in which I will find theism again, or is atheism more of a permanent position? I am fairly new to the concept of atheism, so forgive me for any ignorance or naivety. I am just really confused.

Pretty rare that someone goes from theism to atheism back to theism, in personal experience. I doubt you'll go back, unless you very deliberately delude yourself for the sake of mental security.

I've known some who have gone to atheism and gone back, like myself.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Hanging Garden
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanging Garden » Mon May 18, 2015 3:01 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:

Ok. It's just that, I don't know what to do. I've spent the majority of my life believing in something, and now it's sort of just gone.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon May 18, 2015 3:02 pm

Hanging Garden wrote:I appear to be going through a period of heavy religious doubt, since I partook in a thread about criminal systems. For some reason, I ended up contradicting myself, eventually reasoning that nothing exists, and then I just sort of lost it from there.

Point being, I perceive this as a conversion- or a transition- from theism to atheism. For some reason I don't really believe that there is a god anymore. Anyway, is this merely a "phase", in which I will find theism again, or is atheism more of a permanent position? I am fairly new to the concept of atheism, so forgive me for any ignorance or naivety. I am just really confused.

It's not uncommon for theists to go through a period of doubt in the existence of God, but it is uncommon to go through absolute disbelief.
When I went through my time of doubt, I just eventually learned to see God in all things, and then went to confession over it and was fine. I'm not sure you can recover from full-scale disbelief, though, or at least it's significantly more difficult.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Mon May 18, 2015 3:03 pm

Hanging Garden wrote:Ok. It's just that, I don't know what to do. I've spent the majority of my life believing in something, and now it's sort of just gone.

Same. It's hard. You might have some sleepless nights. But you'll make it. *lightly punches shoulder*
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Mon May 18, 2015 3:05 pm

Hanging Garden wrote:Ok. It's just that, I don't know what to do. I've spent the majority of my life believing in something, and now it's sort of just gone.

We all believe in many 'somethings'. I believe that there are other people in the world and they are each valuable, for instance.

You've just removed 'gods' from the list of things you believe.

Hanging Garden
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanging Garden » Mon May 18, 2015 3:06 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:

Same. It's hard. You might have some sleepless nights. But you'll make it. *lightly punches shoulder*

Yeah. Thing is, what do I say to my parents? I mean they are quite...well, I sort of inherited their beliefs, so...yeah.

The Nexus of Man
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nexus of Man » Mon May 18, 2015 3:06 pm

Hanging Garden wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Well that escalated quickly. *promptly laughs ass off*

Ok. It's just that, I don't know what to do. I've spent the majority of my life believing in something, and now it's sort of just gone.

You gave up on Him, and now He can no longer influence you as you have abandoned Him.
Last edited by The Nexus of Man on Mon May 18, 2015 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Mon May 18, 2015 3:08 pm

Hanging Garden wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Same. It's hard. You might have some sleepless nights. But you'll make it. *lightly punches shoulder*

Yeah. Thing is, what do I say to my parents? I mean they are quite...well, I sort of inherited their beliefs, so...yeah.

I wish you luck but it seems more like a thing for an advice column, TGs or something aside from a thread in a debate forum.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Equusia
Envoy

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Equusia » Mon May 18, 2015 3:08 pm

It is up to you to decide what you believe or don't believe, look at facts and evidence to come to your own conclusion. Personally I went through many stages before becoming an Atheist; I have been a fundamentalist Christian, a new age spiritual, a Buddhist, a Deist and an Agnostic before I decided I was an Atheist. I decided that I was not going to simply "have faith", I decided I needed evidence.
I'm 17 year old male who is not a bronie just bad at naming things. I am Fiscally conservative and socially liberal. FREEDOM!

Cyrisnia
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyrisnia » Mon May 18, 2015 3:08 pm

As someone who does believe in a God/Deity, and who has gone through doubts before, just do what ends up making you happy. I'm not really good at explaining things sometimes, but theres gonna be a time when you end up deciding what you believe in. Whatever makes you happy, and its your call. I'm pretty sure regardless of whatever side your on, people on NS will support your choice, and be respectful.

Some won't, but you just gotta do what makes you happy.
R E D L E G S

【BORN TO ABOLISH】
SOUTH IS A F**K
鬼神 Kill Em All 1859
I am free man
410,757,864,530 DEAD REBS

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Mon May 18, 2015 3:08 pm

Hanging Garden wrote:Yeah. Thing is, what do I say to my parents? I mean they are quite...well, I sort of inherited their beliefs, so...yeah.

That's really up to you. I'd give yourself some time to sort things out before saying anything.

Are you still financially dependent on your parents? If so, be extremely careful about coming out as an Atheist.

Cyrisnia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cyrisnia » Mon May 18, 2015 3:08 pm

Russels Orbiting Teapot wrote:
Hanging Garden wrote:Yeah. Thing is, what do I say to my parents? I mean they are quite...well, I sort of inherited their beliefs, so...yeah.

That's really up to you. I'd give yourself some time to sort things out before saying anything.

Are you still financially dependent on your parents? If so, be extremely careful about coming out as an Atheist.

Can't stress this enough.
R E D L E G S

【BORN TO ABOLISH】
SOUTH IS A F**K
鬼神 Kill Em All 1859
I am free man

Hanging Garden
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanging Garden » Mon May 18, 2015 3:09 pm

The Nexus of Man wrote:
Hanging Garden wrote:

You gave up on Him, and now He can no longer influence you as you have abandoned Him.

I didn't really abandon Him. I never heard anything back from Him and caught onto that fact only recently.

Zunkwentania
Minister

Founded: Apr 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Zunkwentania » Mon May 18, 2015 3:09 pm

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/RationalWi ... econverted
Read this; it's a pretty good article.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon May 18, 2015 3:10 pm

Hanging Garden wrote:
The Nexus of Man wrote:

I didn't really abandon Him. I never heard anything back from Him and caught onto that fact only recently.

If you still want to believe in God, it may be that you simply never learned how to pray. Depending on your denomination(most Christian ones should be OK), I might be able to help you.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Mon May 18, 2015 3:10 pm

When I was a child, I thought as a child....

If we begin to doubt the moralisms and catechisms of childhood, good. It is time we were growing up.

One of the strengths of Buddhism is its innate skepticism. I wish Christianity had something similar.

It seems to me that the bridge to be crossed into mature faith does not involve rationality. but mystery, the encounter with what is beyond number crunching materialism.

I recommend Thomas Merton, Teresa of Avila, John of the Cross, and The Cloud of Unknowing.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Seeds-Contemp ... 0811217248

http://www.amazon.com/Contemplation-Wor ... 0268008345

http://www.ourladyswarriors.org/saints/wayperf.htm

http://www.icspublications.org/bookstor ... oss01.html

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590306228/?ta ... qn6e786c_b
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Cyllea
Minister

Founded: Nov 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyllea » Mon May 18, 2015 3:11 pm

Alternatively; have you ever considered exploring new religious ideas? There isn't just Christianity and Atheism, unlike what many people think.

Cyrisnia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cyrisnia » Mon May 18, 2015 3:11 pm

Hanging Garden wrote:
The Nexus of Man wrote:

Happens with some people. Just how you interpret and take things, y'know?
R E D L E G S

【BORN TO ABOLISH】
SOUTH IS A F**K
鬼神 Kill Em All 1859
I am free man

The Nexus of Man
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nexus of Man » Mon May 18, 2015 3:11 pm

Hanging Garden wrote:
The Nexus of Man wrote:

He cannot speak to you directly, for He is not Metatron. His gospel, however, is His voice and His word, both in literal senses and metaphorical senses.

He has never spoken to me before, but I know He is real for His revelations to me in the real and physical life I live.

If you're Christian (or ex-Christian in this case), I can help you more by TGs or this thread.
Last edited by The Nexus of Man on Mon May 18, 2015 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cyrisnia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cyrisnia » Mon May 18, 2015 3:12 pm

Cyllea wrote:Alternatively; have you ever considered exploring new religious ideas? There isn't just Christianity and Atheism, unlike what many people think.

Join me in the glorious Zoroastrian takeover of NSG.
:p
R E D L E G S

【BORN TO ABOLISH】
SOUTH IS A F**K
鬼神 Kill Em All 1859
I am free man

Macedonia proconsulares
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Macedonia proconsulares » Mon May 18, 2015 3:13 pm

I am an atheist who went through this period of doubt and used to be Christian. Some people deconvert permanently, some go back to their faith. You could go down either path and nobody else can really tell you which one to go down or should judge you for taking either path.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General