NATION

PASSWORD

2015 UK Politics Megathread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who would you _currently_ vote for?

Conservatives
21%
Labour
21%
Liberal Democrats
14%
UKIP
17%
Greens [England & Wales, Scotland, or NI]
11%
SNP
6%
Plaid Cymru
1%
Northern Ireland SF/SDLP
3%
Northern Ireland DUP/UUP
1%
Other (please explain)
5%

Total votes : 340

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Thu May 07, 2015 2:49 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Steamtopia wrote:Vote in new parties that want to deal with those issues, it's not that difficult. If people choose to keep voting in the same parties, they should expect the same results.

Around 14 % of people will be voting for one, but with FPTP, UKIP won't get the number of seats that the votes should get them.

And voting reform won't ever happen in the commons, because both major parties have a vested interest in keeping fptp.

We had a chance to scrap FPTP. We voted against it. Whoopsie.
TG me. Just do it.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu May 07, 2015 2:50 am

Shamhnan Insir wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:What about issues the commons refuse to deal with? Like Europe, euthanasia, marijuana...

I think a referendum in the next year or so would too much, at least for Scotland anyways, we've had more than enough politics for a while....

I think it would have to require a large amount of the electorate to choose when a referendum happens.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Thu May 07, 2015 2:51 am

Shamhnan Insir wrote:I think a referendum in the next year or so would too much, at least for Scotland anyways, we've had more than enough politics for a while....

I think it would have to require a large amount of the electorate to choose when a referendum happens.

So you'd do.. what, exactly? Have a referendum for a referendum?
TG me. Just do it.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu May 07, 2015 2:51 am

Steamtopia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Around 14 % of people will be voting for one, but with FPTP, UKIP won't get the number of seats that the votes should get them.

And voting reform won't ever happen in the commons, because both major parties have a vested interest in keeping fptp.

We had a chance to scrap FPTP. We voted against it. Whoopsie.

The political beliefs were different then. If their's a large demand for another referendum, we should have another referendum.
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu May 07, 2015 2:52 am

Steamtopia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:I think it would have to require a large amount of the electorate to choose when a referendum happens.

So you'd do.. what, exactly? Have a referendum for a referendum?

No, make the petitions system meaningful.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Thu May 07, 2015 2:52 am

Steamtopia wrote:We had a chance to scrap FPTP. We voted against it. Whoopsie.

The political beliefs were different then. If their's a large demand for another referendum, we should have another referendum.

It's been four years, not a century. We screwed up, we face the consequences. You want to get rid of FPTP? Vote for the parties that want electoral reform, get a referendum, vote against FPTP this time. If we screw it up, we have nobody to blame but ourselves and there's no reason why we should dismantle representative democracy because representation is broken (but still fixable).
TG me. Just do it.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Thu May 07, 2015 2:53 am

Steamtopia wrote:So you'd do.. what, exactly? Have a referendum for a referendum?

No, make the petitions system meaningful.

And pray tell, how many signatures would you need to launch a referendum? And how would you verify the signatures? And why is it moral to engage in mob rule?
TG me. Just do it.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu May 07, 2015 2:55 am

Steamtopia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:The political beliefs were different then. If their's a large demand for another referendum, we should have another referendum.

It's been four years, not a century. We screwed up, we face the consequences. You want to get rid of FPTP? Vote for the parties that want electoral reform, get a referendum, vote against FPTP this time. If we screw it up, we have nobody to blame but ourselves and there's no reason why we should dismantle representative democracy because representation is broken (but still fixable).

Because representatives do not act in the best interests of the people. Only the electorate as a whole can make the decisions politicians refuse to make.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Thu May 07, 2015 2:56 am

Steamtopia wrote:It's been four years, not a century. We screwed up, we face the consequences. You want to get rid of FPTP? Vote for the parties that want electoral reform, get a referendum, vote against FPTP this time. If we screw it up, we have nobody to blame but ourselves and there's no reason why we should dismantle representative democracy because representation is broken (but still fixable).

Because representatives do not act in the best interests of the people. Only the electorate as a whole can make the decisions politicians refuse to make.

What is, America? Representatives are held accountable to the public every four years. If we vote in representatives we hate, we're idiots and deserve to be saddled with them.
TG me. Just do it.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu May 07, 2015 2:56 am

Steamtopia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:No, make the petitions system meaningful.

And pray tell, how many signatures would you need to launch a referendum? And how would you verify the signatures? And why is it moral to engage in mob rule?

Verify the signatures against the electoral role, by using peoples national insurance numbers to identify them. This could all be done on the epetitions website.

I think 2 million is a good number.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu May 07, 2015 2:57 am

Steamtopia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Because representatives do not act in the best interests of the people. Only the electorate as a whole can make the decisions politicians refuse to make.

What is, America? Representatives are held accountable to the public every four years. If we vote in representatives we hate, we're idiots and deserve to be saddled with them.

5 years, actually. So if a representative lies through their teeth, are we deserving of getting a shitty person because we happened to believe them? No, referenda and recall need to be introduced to make the system more democratic.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Thu May 07, 2015 2:59 am

Steamtopia wrote:And pray tell, how many signatures would you need to launch a referendum? And how would you verify the signatures? And why is it moral to engage in mob rule?

Verify the signatures against the electoral role, by using peoples national insurance numbers to identify them. This could all be done on the epetitions website.

So people can just take national insurance numbers and sign people onto a petition without them even knowing.
TG me. Just do it.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu May 07, 2015 3:00 am

Steamtopia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Verify the signatures against the electoral role, by using peoples national insurance numbers to identify them. This could all be done on the epetitions website.

So people can just take national insurance numbers and sign people onto a petition without them even knowing.

And then we get a referendum. The more referenda the better, in my view.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Thu May 07, 2015 3:01 am

Steamtopia wrote:What is, America? Representatives are held accountable to the public every four years. If we vote in representatives we hate, we're idiots and deserve to be saddled with them.

5 years, actually. So if a representative lies through their teeth, are we deserving of getting a shitty person because we happened to believe them? No, referenda and recall need to be introduced to make the system more democratic.

By-elections are already a thing in extreme circumstances. Otherwise, we've made our bed and we should lie in it.
TG me. Just do it.

Teemant
Senator

Founded: Oct 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Teemant » Thu May 07, 2015 3:01 am

Steamtopia wrote:What is, America? Representatives are held accountable to the public every four years. If we vote in representatives we hate, we're idiots and deserve to be saddled with them.

I don't think recall is a good idea because then it is possible for people who didn't even vote for someone to recall him.
Eesti
Latvija
Lietuva
Polska

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu May 07, 2015 3:02 am

Steamtopia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:5 years, actually. So if a representative lies through their teeth, are we deserving of getting a shitty person because we happened to believe them? No, referenda and recall need to be introduced to make the system more democratic.

By-elections are already a thing in extreme circumstances. Otherwise, we've made our bed and we should lie in it.

Extreme circumstances. They should be regular occurences.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Thu May 07, 2015 3:02 am

Steamtopia wrote:So people can just take national insurance numbers and sign people onto a petition without them even knowing.

And then we get a referendum. The more referenda the better, in my view.

So you support direct democracy in the face of an increasingly complicated world because.. what? It feels nice? Mob rule is too cool for school?
TG me. Just do it.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Thu May 07, 2015 3:02 am

Steamtopia wrote:By-elections are already a thing in extreme circumstances. Otherwise, we've made our bed and we should lie in it.

Extreme circumstances. They should be regular occurences.

No, they shouldn't. You vote. You screw up? You vote in a few years time for someone else. It's not the end of the world if you end up with a crap MP for a few years.
TG me. Just do it.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu May 07, 2015 3:02 am

Teemant wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:5 years, actually. So if a representative lies through their teeth, are we deserving of getting a shitty person because we happened to believe them? No, referenda and recall need to be introduced to make the system more democratic.

I don't think recall is a good idea because then it is possible for people who didn't even vote for someone to recall him.

If a person has to face the electorate regularly, that's all good by me.

Illyiah
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Illyiah » Thu May 07, 2015 3:03 am

The problem is referendums are really expensive.

Purger
Envoy

Founded: May 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Purger » Thu May 07, 2015 3:03 am

Will there be an EU referendum if the Torries win?

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Thu May 07, 2015 3:04 am

Illyiah wrote:The problem is referendums are really expensive.

And people are motivated by fear-mongering, influenced by the media, and don't have anywhere near the amount of time MP's do to research.
Last edited by Steamtopia on Thu May 07, 2015 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
TG me. Just do it.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Thu May 07, 2015 3:04 am

Purger wrote:Will there be an EU referendum if the Torries win?

The Tories won't win, so it's not even a question worth asking.
TG me. Just do it.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu May 07, 2015 3:04 am

Steamtopia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:And then we get a referendum. The more referenda the better, in my view.

So you support direct democracy in the face of an increasingly complicated world because.. what? It feels nice? Mob rule is too cool for school?

Direct democracy is beneficial as it ensures the politicians are accountable to the people they're claiming to represent, and the people have no whip system so they're obligated to vote a certain way.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu May 07, 2015 3:05 am

Illyiah wrote:The problem is referendums are really expensive.

well worth the cost.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General