NATION

PASSWORD

[US Election 2016] Republican Primary Megathread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which Candidate Do You Support?

Ted Cruz
3%
Marco Rubio
11%
Rand Paul
17%
Ben Carson
9%
Carly Fiorina
3%
Jeb Bush
5%
Chris Christie
2%
John Kasich
7%
Donald Trump
26%
Someone else
16%

Total votes : 579

Patridam
Negotiator

Founded: May 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Patridam » Sun May 24, 2015 4:45 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Patridam wrote:
If you assume he means the full 'modern theory of catastrophic anthropogenic warming global climate change' that is often abbreviated/synecdoched as 'global warming', then he's in agreement with you or I in calling it a hoax; however I am uncertain if the OP knows all of those aforementioned words.

And all three of you are wrong.

Those charts are zoomed and scaled along the course of history and are extremely poor evidence to even prove climate change itself - which is something Turtle and I do not contest - but then do absolutely nothing whatsoever to prove to the assertion of antropgenia that we do deny.
Lassiez Faire Capitalist / Libertarian
Past-Tech (1950s-1980s)

_[' ]_

Republican
White male, 24 yrs old
Michigan, USA
ISTJ
(-_Q)

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Sun May 24, 2015 4:46 pm

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:
Geilinor wrote:Anthropogenic climate change is not a hoax, the evidence is in the post above yours.

Okay, let's assume it isn't. Why is the solution to AGCC a more powerful and bigger government? The government has failed to stop it thus far. What makes you think they'll stop it now?

What makes you think government intervention hasn't slowed the impact of climate change? Why do you think renewable energy has taken off since 2008 in the US despite a crash in oil prices?
TG me. Just do it.

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Capitalist Paradise

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Sun May 24, 2015 4:46 pm

Steamtopia wrote:Methane exits the atmosphere after ten years. CO2 is the primary emission, and CO2 does not increase naturally at the current rates being seen.

What about when you factor in vulcanism and other catastrophic events? -and I'm not arguing CO2 increases here, I'm arguing-

You know what? We're this close to turning a GOP primary thread into yet another flame war on AGCC. Let's not.
Jesus loves you and died for you!
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter
"NOOKULAR" STOCKPILE: 701,033 fission and dropping, 7 fusion.
CM wrote:Have I reached peak enlightened centrism yet? I'm getting chills just thinking about taking an actual position.

Proctopeo wrote:anarcho-von habsburgism

Lillorainen wrote:"Tengri's balls, [do] boys really never grow up?!"
Nuroblav wrote:On the contrary! Seize the means of ROBOT ARMS!
News ticker (updated 4/6/2024 AD):

As TS adapts to new normal, large flagellant sects remain -|- TurtleShroom forfeits imperial dignity -|- "Skibidi Toilet" creator awarded highest artistic honor for contributions to wholesome family entertainment (obscene gestures cut out)

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Patridam wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Those charts are zoomed and scaled along the course of history and are extremely poor evidence to even prove climate change itself - which is something Turtle and I do not contest - but then do absolutely nothing whatsoever to prove to the assertion of antropgenia that we do deny.

What do you think is leading to the warming of the globe, exactly?
TG me. Just do it.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:
Steamtopia wrote:Methane exits the atmosphere after ten years. CO2 is the primary emission, and CO2 does not increase naturally at the current rates being seen.

What about when you factor in vulcanism and other catastrophic events? -and I'm not arguing CO2 increases here, I'm arguing-

You know what? We're this close to turning a GOP primary thread into yet another flame war on AGCC. Let's not.

We've had catastrophic events in the past 200 years? I must've missed them, along with everyone else. Care to point them out?
TG me. Just do it.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sun May 24, 2015 4:47 pm

Patridam wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Then explain to me why atmospheric CO2 is increasing, if not through human activity.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Patridam
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Patridam » Sun May 24, 2015 4:49 pm

Where is the proof that CO2 is the sole/primary cause being climate change? And don't give me some computer models that not only assume positive response but totally ignore Henry's law (i.e. all of them, the ones that have been used to justify massive government spending).
Last edited by Patridam on Sun May 24, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Past-Tech (1950s-1980s)

_[' ]_

Republican
White male, 24 yrs old
Michigan, USA
ISTJ
(-_Q)

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Sun May 24, 2015 4:50 pm

Steamtopia wrote:What makes you think government intervention hasn't slowed the impact of climate change? Why do you think renewable energy has taken off since 2008 in the US despite a crash in oil prices?

Innovation and time, for one. Breakthroughs in renewable technology have come faster and faster as there has been a greater demand for alternatives absent government meddling. Government subsidies do not help renewable energy (just look at Solyndra and any of the other projects that went bankrupt). Subsidies weaken innovation because they make the status quo profitable. No one buys expensive solar panels so the market has an incentive to make them cheaper, unless the government steps in. I have no issue with renewable energy or any alternative fuels. What bothers me is when we waste money favoring certain businesses and models over others instead of letting the market reward the best and most innovative products. The government has no business meddling with the private sector, especially in sectors with high technology and advanced systems beyond their time. In my opinion, government is the enemy of most (but not all) innovation.
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter
CM wrote:Have I reached peak enlightened centrism yet? I'm getting chills just thinking about taking an actual position.

As TS adapts to new normal, large flagellant sects remain -|- TurtleShroom forfeits imperial dignity -|- "Skibidi Toilet" creator awarded highest artistic honor for contributions to wholesome family entertainment (obscene gestures cut out)

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Sun May 24, 2015 4:51 pm

Patridam wrote:

Where is the proof that CO2 is the sole/primary cause being climate change? And don't give me some computer models that not only assume positive response but totally ignores Henry's law.

What does Henry's law have to do with anything? Henry's law isn't part of climate science.
TG me. Just do it.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sun May 24, 2015 4:51 pm

Patridam wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Well, yes. They're zoomed in on the relevant portion, the portion where anthropogenic factors are dominating. You know, the one we're living in. What was happening millinnia (or longer) before we started polluting to any significant degree has no relevance to what is happening now, when we're getting significant warming in the middle of a solar cooling cycle. They show (or rather, the data behind them shows - see, amongst many examples, here, here, and here) that non-anthropogenic models utterly fail to model the observed data.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Sun May 24, 2015 4:51 pm

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:
Steamtopia wrote:What makes you think government intervention hasn't slowed the impact of climate change? Why do you think renewable energy has taken off since 2008 in the US despite a crash in oil prices?

Innovation and time, for one. Breakthroughs in renewable technology have come faster and faster as there has been a greater demand for alternatives absent government meddling. Government subsidies do not help renewable energy (just look at Solyndra and any of the other projects that went bankrupt). Subsidies weaken innovation because they make the status quo profitable. No one buys expensive solar panels so the market has an incentive to make them cheaper, unless the government steps in. I have no issue with renewable energy or any alternative fuels. What bothers me is when we waste money favoring certain businesses and models over others instead of letting the market reward the best and most innovative products. The government has no business meddling with the private sector, especially in sectors with high technology and advanced systems beyond their time. In my opinion, government is the enemy of most (but not all) innovation.

You look at Solyndra, but completely ignore the projects that not only didn't go bankrupt, but are now huge global successes.

Like, say, Tesla Motors.
TG me. Just do it.

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Sun May 24, 2015 4:52 pm

Patridam wrote:

Where is the proof that CO2 is the sole/primary cause being climate change? And don't give me some computer models that not only assume positive response but totally ignores Henry's law.

Methane is significtly more powerful than C02 as a greenhouse gas and water vapor plays a major role in climate change. You can't remove water vapor and methane, even if it fades away, does much more damage while it lasts than CO2.
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Sun May 24, 2015 4:52 pm

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:Yeah, because requiring people to actually and strictly follow the tenents of the Republican Party is both wrong and hyper-partisan.

Yes. Requiring that IS both wrong and hyper-partisan, and that's the GOP we've seen in the last few years, acid-tests and a party line to toe.

But you don't have to take my word for it - Olympia Snowe was quite vocal about why she was opting-out.

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:On my side, moderates are the reason Obama isn't impeached

No, 'reality' is the reason Obama hasn't been impeached. Turns out, it doesn't just mean 'sack this guy who I don't like'.
I identify as
a problem

Patridam
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Patridam » Sun May 24, 2015 4:53 pm

Steamtopia wrote:
Patridam wrote:

What does Henry's law have to do with anything? Henry's law isn't part of climate science.

All of the climate change prediction models ignore the fact that, as per henry's law, CO2 will remain in equal concentration between the oceans and the atmosphere above them.
Past-Tech (1950s-1980s)

_[' ]_

Republican
White male, 24 yrs old
Michigan, USA
ISTJ
(-_Q)

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sun May 24, 2015 4:53 pm

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:

The free market has failed. It is already too late to prevent many of the effects.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Sun May 24, 2015 4:53 pm

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:
Patridam wrote:

Methane is significtly more powerful than C02 as a greenhouse gas and water vapor plays a major role in climate change. You can't remove water vapor and methane, even if it fades away, does much more damage while it lasts than CO2.

Where do you think water vapor comes from?
TG me. Just do it.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Sun May 24, 2015 4:54 pm

Patridam wrote:
Steamtopia wrote:What does Henry's law have to do with anything? Henry's law isn't part of climate science.

All of the climate change prediction models ignore the fact that, as per henry's law, CO2 will remain in equal concentration between the oceans and the atmosphere above them.

At constant temperature. The globe is very obviously not at constant temperature.
TG me. Just do it.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sun May 24, 2015 4:56 pm

Patridam wrote:
Steamtopia wrote:What does Henry's law have to do with anything? Henry's law isn't part of climate science.

Apart from that you (wrongly) assume the atmosphere/ocean system to be at a constant temperature and homogeneous, oceanic CO2 is climing significantly.
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sun May 24, 2015 4:56 pm

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:
Patridam wrote:

Water vapour concentrations remain roughly constant. Guess what the largest source of methane concentration increase is?
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Chavante
Secretary

Founded: Nov 28, 2012
Anarchy

Postby Chavante » Sun May 24, 2015 4:58 pm

Rand Paul

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Sun May 24, 2015 4:59 pm

Patridam wrote:

Climate change models don't ignore the Carbon-sink effect of the oceans.

Also, Henry's law doesn't exactly say that CO2 will "remain in equal concentration between the oceans and the atmosphere above them".
I identify as
a problem

Patridam
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Patridam » Sun May 24, 2015 4:59 pm

Chavante wrote:Rand Paul

Yes.

/threadjack over
Past-Tech (1950s-1980s)

_[' ]_

Republican
White male, 24 yrs old
Michigan, USA
ISTJ
(-_Q)

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Sun May 24, 2015 5:21 pm

I don't know who I want as the nominee, but I have a short list of people that I don't want: Carson, Cruz, Rubio, Jindal, and Fiorina. Any of them would ruin my plans for the 2016 campaign. As soon as the GOP nominee is picked, I plan to spend the rest of the campaign loudly demanding to see their birth certificate. When a certificate is produced, I then plan to loudly demand to see the long form. If that is also produced, I plan to spend the remainder of the campaign declaring that it's obviously a forgery, and what are they hiding? I can't do that if the nominee is a minority or a woman.
Economic:-8.12 Social:-7.59 Moral Rules:5 Moral Order:-5
Muravyets: Maineiacs, you are brilliant, too! I stand in delighted awe.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
Galloism: If someone will build a wall around Donald Trump, I'll pay for it.
Bottle tells it like it is
add 6,928 to post count

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Sun May 24, 2015 5:27 pm

Patridam wrote:I saw John Kasich on abc this morning, it looks like he's going to make a bid for the nomination though he isn't eligible for NH right now.

why isn't he eligible for NH?
whatever

Patridam
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Patridam » Sun May 24, 2015 5:35 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Patridam wrote:I saw John Kasich on abc this morning, it looks like he's going to make a bid for the nomination though he isn't eligible for NH right now.

why isn't he eligible for NH?

I don't know, I only caught the tail end of him on "This Week", but he was talking about he'd have to get a lot done in a short time, and something about how he wasn't yet eligible for one of the primaries (I thought it was NH, not sure though) even though Trump was. He's all but officially announced at this point.

I see him as a pretty solid choice financially, but kind of meh on most social and foreign policy issues.
Past-Tech (1950s-1980s)

_[' ]_

Republican
White male, 24 yrs old
Michigan, USA
ISTJ
(-_Q)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General