NATION

PASSWORD

Christian Discussion Thread V

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your denomination?

Roman Catholic
32%
Eastern Orthodox
7%
Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East , etc.)
1%
Anglican/Episcopalian
6%
Methodist
4%
Lutheran or Reformed (including Calvinist, Presbyterian, etc.)
10%
Baptist
11%
Other Evangelical Protestant (Pentecostal, non-denominational, etc.)
13%
Restorationist (LDS Movement, Jehovah's Witness, etc.)
4%
Other Christian
12%

Total votes : 769

Morr
Minister

Founded: Mar 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Morr » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:33 pm

Menassa wrote:
Morr wrote:Christ was the fulfillment of Law. Christ is God's Word made flesh.

I do not believe there was anything the Law that needed fulfilling.

That's nice.
Stand with Assad!

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:35 pm

Morr wrote:
Menassa wrote:I do not believe there was anything the Law that needed fulfilling.

That's nice.

Right, so as you, who does believe that the Law needed fulfilling. Can you show me that the Law needed fulfilling? Can you prove the claim from Scripture that "Christ fulfilled the Law?"
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Morr
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Morr » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:44 pm

Menassa wrote:
Morr wrote:That's nice.

Right, so as you, who does believe that the Law needed fulfilling. Can you show me that the Law needed fulfilling? Can you prove the claim from Scripture that "Christ fulfilled the Law?"

Formally? The term "Law" was applied to include more than simply the specific code of conduct, as I'm sure you know, it's a word for the Pentateuch, and was sometimes applied in broader terms to include even all of what you'd call the Tanakh today. So "fulling the law" means fulfilling prophecies in the least of terms. Is the Law, the code of conduct, the same under the post-Messiah Covenant spoken of in Jeremiah 31:33? I don't see why you would believe that, God has made several covenants and they didn't have the same rules.
Last edited by Morr on Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stand with Assad!

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:46 pm

Morr wrote:
Menassa wrote:That doesn't seem very logical to say. I mean let's check out psalm 119, the longest chapter in the Bible. The Psalmist doesn't actually mention anything about Salvation through Christ but rather the benefits of the Law.

You can tout your believe that the righteous of the Old Testament had faith in Christ, but there is simply no logical evidence to support that fact.

Christ was the fulfillment of Law. Christ is God's Word made flesh.

And Mohammed updated the Greek scripture, and brought the completion of the Bible.

I mean - surely you believe that, too - that's how this works, right? You just get to come in and claim that you're completing another already-arguably-complete religion?

No?
I identify as
a problem

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:46 pm

Menassa wrote:

I don't think there's anything that anyone here can tell that would convince you, but I'll tell you what Christians mean by saying that.

The purpose of the Law as given to Moses was to bring the people closer to God. According to Christianity, Christ fulfilled that purpose by dying on the cross as a sacrifice for humanity's sin, bridging the gap between humanity and God. Hence "fulfilling the Law".
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:48 pm

Morr wrote:
Menassa wrote:Right, so as you, who does believe that the Law needed fulfilling. Can you show me that the Law needed fulfilling? Can you prove the claim from Scripture that "Christ fulfilled the Law?"

Formally? The term "Law" was applied to include more than simply the specific code of conduct, as I'm sure you know, it's a word for the Pentateuch, and was sometimes applied in broader terms to include even all of what you'd call the Tanakh today. So "fulling the law" means fulfilling prophecies in the least of terms.

Which prophecies would those be?
Morr wrote:Is the Law, the code of conduct, the same under the post-Messiah Covenant spoken of in Jeremiah 31:33?

You see if you look at the whole chapter of Jeremiah and at the Hebrew it is clearly obvious that the 'New Covenant' of Christianity doesn't quite add up. Here's why:
1 The verse talks about the House of Judah and House of Israel. When Jesus roamed the earth, the house of Israel was still lost.
2 The prefix before the phrase "and in that time" implies that the next statement being said is being said about the first phrase.
3 The verse says that "they will all know the lord, from least to greatest" when Jesus roamed the earth there were many who did not know the Lord. Under Christianity, there are many still who do not know the Lord.

Morr wrote: I don't see why you would believe that, God has made several covenants and they didn't have the same rules.

I do not understand your question, and youre statement.
Last edited by Menassa on Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:51 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Morr wrote:Christ was the fulfillment of Law. Christ is God's Word made flesh.

And Mohammed updated the Greek scripture, and brought the completion of the Bible.

I mean - surely you believe that, too - that's how this works, right? You just get to come in and claim that you're completing another already-arguably-complete religion?

No?

And Baha'u'llah came to complete the Arabic Scripture.

Salus Maior wrote:
Menassa wrote:Right, so as you, who does believe that the Law needed fulfilling. Can you show me that the Law needed fulfilling? Can you prove the claim from Scripture that "Christ fulfilled the Law?"

I don't think there's anything that anyone here can tell that would convince you, but I'll tell you what Christians mean by saying that.

The purpose of the Law as given to Moses was to bring the people closer to God. According to Christianity, Christ fulfilled that purpose by dying on the cross as a sacrifice for humanity's sin, bridging the gap between humanity and God. Hence "fulfilling the Law".

Then, according to Christianity, the Law could still be used for that Purpose if all that is needed is to be 'brought closer to God.' The Law hasn't exactly changed since Jesus's death.

Gim
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:53 pm

Salus Maior wrote:

Hence, Romans 10:4

Christ is the culmination of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.
All You Need to Know about Gim
Male, 17, Protestant Christian, British

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:54 pm

Salus Maior wrote:

I don't think there's anything that anyone here can tell that would convince you, [...]

I didn't ask to be told, I asked to be shown.

Morr
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Morr » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:55 pm

Menassa wrote:Which prophecies would those be?

Genesis 18:18, for example.

Morr wrote:You see if you look at the whole chapter of Jeremiah and at the Hebrew it is clearly obvious that the 'New Covenant' of Christianity doesn't quite add up. Here's why:
1 The verse talks about the House of Judah and House of Israel. When Jesus roamed the earth, the house of Israel was still lost.
2 The prefix before the phrase "and in that time" implies that the next statement being said is being said about the first phrase.
3 The verse says that "they will all know the lord, from least to greatest" when Jesus roamed the earth there were many who did not know the Lord. Under Christianity, there are many still who do not know the Lord.

Your points are well made.

1. Christ is a restoration of the House of Israel, from a Christian perspective.
2. Yes, it wasn't the time the Prophecy was made, it was something coming.
3. All the people of Israel knew the Lord, and they are logically the "they" referred to in the next verse.

Morr wrote: I do not understand your question, and youre statement.

Then it's of no consequence.
Stand with Assad!

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:56 pm

Menassa wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
I don't think there's anything that anyone here can tell that would convince you, [...]

I didn't ask to be told, I asked to be shown.

Post just previous to yours.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:59 pm

Morr wrote:1. Christ is a restoration of the House of Israel, from a Christian perspective.
3. All the people of Israel knew the Lord, and they are logically the "they" referred to in the next verse.

You don't see a problem with allowing the people claiming to 'fulfil' prophecies to explain what those prophecies must have meant?
I identify as
a problem

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Morr wrote:
Menassa wrote:Which prophecies would those be?

You seem to have smuggled the conclusion into your argument. Where do you see Jesus at all from that verse? Without first believing in Jesus.

Morr wrote:Your points are well made.

1. Christ is a restoration of the House of Israel, from a Christian perspective.

Thank you.

1. You can't simply say 'from a Christian perspective, you have to prove these things. If you want to show my why something is true you have to actually show me.
2 & 3. Jeremiah clearly was not talking about the time of Jesus, first off, not 'all of Israel new the Lord.' There were plenty of pagans among the people of Israel. Secondly, the 'they' is the entire World. Thirdly, now all of Israel does not know the Lord and if you say 'Israel is the Church' that's a self-fulfilling prophecy with no actual basis in Scripture.

Morr wrote:Then it's of no consequence.

Not even going to attempt to explain it?
Last edited by Menassa on Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:04 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Morr wrote:1. Christ is a restoration of the House of Israel, from a Christian perspective.

You don't see a problem with allowing the people claiming to 'fulfil' prophecies to explain what those prophecies must have meant?

Indeed, you are calling the prophecy 'fulfilled' from a Christian perspective. But you have not proven that Jeremiah was talking about a Christian perspective. It is all the more likely that Jerimiah was talking from a Jewish perspective for two reasons.

1. It's what the verse says.
2. Jeremiah was a Jew.

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:04 pm

Gim wrote:
Menassa wrote:I didn't ask to be told, I asked to be shown.

Post just previous to yours.

Has shown me nothing.

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:05 pm

Morr wrote:

How is the prophecy on Abraham any relevant to the fulfillment of the Law? :?:

Efraim-Judah
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Efraim-Judah » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:06 pm

Menassa wrote:

Your law needs fufilling, Menassa.
"If you love me, you will keep my commandments" John 14:15

Blessed be He,who in His holiness gave The Torah to His people, Israel.

.יהודי שמאמין בישוע , נשאר יהודי

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:09 pm

Efraim-Judah wrote:

:facepalm:

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:11 pm

Efraim-Judah wrote:

Matthew 7:1 right there for Menassa.

Efraim-Judah
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Efraim-Judah » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:12 pm

Menassa wrote:
Efraim-Judah wrote:Your law needs fufilling, Menassa.

:facepalm:

Your law is only outward.
Messiah allowed the law to be written on our hearts, the law for US is Inwardly not outwardly.

Efraim-Judah
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Efraim-Judah » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:13 pm

Gim wrote:
Efraim-Judah wrote:Your law needs fufilling, Menassa.

Matthew 7:1 right there for Menassa.

This talks only about judging people. Menassa has cast no judgement upon you.

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:13 pm

Efraim-Judah wrote:
Menassa wrote::facepalm:

Messiah allowed the law to be written on our hearts, the law for US is Inwardly not outwardly.

Wait. What do you mean by the U.S. law being "inward"? :?:

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:15 pm

Gim wrote:
Efraim-Judah wrote:Your law is only outward.

....This discussion....
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:16 pm

Efraim-Judah wrote:
Menassa wrote::facepalm:

What does that statment mean "to be written in their hearts"

Jeremiah says it means that EVERYONE will know of God and they will no longer need to teach each other. That's not the world we live in Effy.

Efraim-Judah
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Efraim-Judah » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:16 pm

Gim wrote:
Efraim-Judah wrote:Your law is only outward.

U.S. law? No. Mosaic Law.

The law for Messianics is inward. Where the law for a Non-Messianic is only outward.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General