NATION

PASSWORD

Christian Discussion Thread V

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your denomination?

Roman Catholic
32%
Eastern Orthodox
7%
Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East , etc.)
1%
Anglican/Episcopalian
6%
Methodist
4%
Lutheran or Reformed (including Calvinist, Presbyterian, etc.)
10%
Baptist
11%
Other Evangelical Protestant (Pentecostal, non-denominational, etc.)
13%
Restorationist (LDS Movement, Jehovah's Witness, etc.)
4%
Other Christian
12%

Total votes : 769

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:31 pm

Deleted comment from merged thread
Last edited by Threlizdun on Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Founded: Jan 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:33 pm

When your church has to print a pamphlet saying 'why the Church of Christ is not a cult' you should admit to yourself that there might be a problem.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:35 pm

*twirls staple gun* 8)
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Morr
Minister

Founded: Mar 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Morr » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:37 pm

Northern Freikur wrote:Yes, this is a Church of Christ thread. Yes, I want us to revive the Christianity of the bible. And, yes I am a member of a congregation which strives for biblical accuracy (And as far as I know, we do fairly well).

No, we are not a denomination (Although there are congregations who agree with each other on being biblical, so yes and no.). No, there is no "One Guy at the top" making the decisions in place of God.

And I will certainly not surrender to atheists, denominations, or "Progressive Christian" movements.

Are there any of my brothers and sisters in Christ who would like to comment? This is a general Christian discussion, so any subject is fine, as long as it's biblical.

For the past 500 years, countless iterations of Christianity have popped up claiming to be the revival of the "true" Church. I'll trust a Church that can actually trace its lineage back to Christ without break.
Stand with Assad!

Northern Freikur
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Freikur » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:38 pm

Northern Freikur wrote:Yes, this is a Church of Christ thread. Yes, I want us to revive the Christianity of the bible. And, yes I am a member of a congregation which strives for biblical accuracy (And as far as I know, we do fairly well).

No, we are not a denomination (Although there are congregations who agree with each other on being biblical, so yes and no.). No, there is no "One Guy at the top" making the decisions in place of God.

And I will certainly not surrender to atheists, denominations, or "Progressive Christian" movements.

Are there any of my brothers and sisters in Christ who would like to comment? This is a general Christian discussion, so any subject is fine, as long as it's biblical.

Aww heck, messed up. Please disregard. Tried to create a new thread. Didn't work
Even when I contradict myself, I am right.

Northern Freikur
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Freikur » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:40 pm

Morr wrote:

For the past 500 years, countless iterations of Christianity have popped up claiming to be the revival of the "true" Church. I'll trust a Church that can actually trace its lineage back to Christ without break.

Actually, we are restored. There were other attempts at doing so, like the lutherans, But they didn't work out. We follow only what scripture says.

Northern Freikur
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Freikur » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:40 pm

Russels Orbiting Teapot wrote:When your church has to print a pamphlet saying 'why the Church of Christ is not a cult' you should admit to yourself that there might be a problem.

My congregation doesn't

Northern Freikur
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Freikur » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:42 pm

Northern Freikur wrote:
Russels Orbiting Teapot wrote:When your church has to print a pamphlet saying 'why the Church of Christ is not a cult' you should admit to yourself that there might be a problem.

My congregation doesn't

I would like to ask everyone to do research on our organizational structure, You will learn why it is not a denomination, and why some congregations... well do the above.
Also, I don't want to need to explain the whole thing each time someone new logs on.
I mean this all with good respect... 8)

Morr
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Morr » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:50 pm

Northern Freikur wrote:
Morr wrote:For the past 500 years, countless iterations of Christianity have popped up claiming to be the revival of the "true" Church. I'll trust a Church that can actually trace its lineage back to Christ without break.

Actually, we are restored. There were other attempts at doing so, like the lutherans, But they didn't work out. We follow only what scripture says.

Ah, so like Jehovah's Witnesses? Or Seventh Day Adventists?

You realize your premise is incorrect to begin with? The Church is not founded on Scripture, Scripture is an addendum to the Church? It was written for people who already were Christians to begin with. And you know what else? It wasn't Scripture that chose its own canon, it was the Church that decided which books, out of the countless to choose from, would be canon. Scriptural authority is based on the Church's authority, hence when things like the Gnostic Gospels aren't in it. Sola scriptura is pure modernism.
Stand with Assad!

Coulee Croche
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 19, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Coulee Croche » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:51 pm

Northern Freikur wrote:No, there is no "One Guy at the top" making the decisions in place of God.

I mean, is there any Church that does? Like, i'm pretty sure the minority that do, at least don't attribute their decisions to themselves.
" O death, where is thy victory? O death, where is thy sting? "-1 Cor. 15:55
"A man who governs his passions is master of the world." -St. Dominic
"Silence is more profitable than speech, for it has been said, 'The words of wise men are heard, even in quiet." -St. Basil the Great
"Ponder the fact that God has made you a gardener, to root out vice and plant virtue" -St. Catherine of Siena
"Hatred is not a creative force. Love alone creates. Suffering will not prevail over us, it will only melt us down and strengthen us" -St. Maximilian Kolbe
"Seul l'amour donne du prix aux choses. L'unique nécessaire, c'est que l'amour soit si ardent que rien n'empêche d'aimer." -Ste. Thérèse d'Avila

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:51 pm

Northern Freikur wrote:

Aww heck, messed up. Please disregard. Tried to create a new thread. Didn't work

It worked. I merged it.
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Coulee Croche
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Coulee Croche » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:55 pm

Northern Freikur wrote:

My congregation doesn't

Can you give us the name of your congregation? There are many congregations that fit your vague description with varying amounts of beliefs.
Last edited by Coulee Croche on Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Silence is more profitable than speech, for it has been said, 'The words of wise men are heard, even in quiet." -St. Basil the Great
"Ponder the fact that God has made you a gardener, to root out vice and plant virtue" -St. Catherine of Siena
"Hatred is not a creative force. Love alone creates. Suffering will not prevail over us, it will only melt us down and strengthen us" -St. Maximilian Kolbe
"Seul l'amour donne du prix aux choses. L'unique nécessaire, c'est que l'amour soit si ardent que rien n'empêche d'aimer." -Ste. Thérèse d'Avila

Coulee Croche
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Coulee Croche » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:00 pm

Northern Freikur wrote:Actually, we are restored. There were other attempts at doing so, like the 1. lutherans, But they didn't work out. 2. We follow only what scripture says.

1. Based upon what?
2. Which scripture?
Last edited by Coulee Croche on Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lyras
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 26, 2004
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lyras » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:21 pm

For example: Christ is the completion of law, (a given - see Romans, Hebrews) which raises the question; is law superseded by grace, or is Old Testament law continued in its prior form? In your not-denomination's exegesis, of course.
Mokastana: Then Lyras happened.

Allanea: Wanting to avoid fighting Lyras' fuck-huge military is also a reasonable IC consideration

TPF: Who is stupid enough to attack a Lyran convoy?

Sumer: Honestly, I'd rather face Doom's military with Doom having a 3-1 advantage over me, than take a 1-1 fight with a well-supplied Lyran tank unit.

Kinsgard: RL Lyras is like a real life video game character.

Ieperithem: Eighty four. Eighty four percent of their terrifyingly massive GDP goes directly into their military. And they actually know how to manage it. It's safe to say there isn't a single nation that could feasibly stand against them if they wanted it to die.
Yikes. Just... Yikes.

Lyran Arms - Lambda Financial - Foreign Holdings - Tracker - Photo - OOC sentiments

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:19 pm

Gim wrote:
Morr wrote:Then you need to read the NT and see some of the things it says about Satan.

The Book of Job is a fable, a story. It's not some factual account of how the mechanics of Heaven works. God and Satan are literary characters in it, and it's about preserving through hardship (and early Christains had it harder than anyone else BECAUSE they were Christians), while discussing temporal justice in relation to God in philosophical dialogue.

Wait. Job isn't real? :shock:

I think the book is a parable, like what Jesus used, with the Good Samaritan and all that.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Morr
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Morr » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:19 pm

Lyras wrote:For example: Christ is the completion of law, (a given - see Romans, Hebrews) which raises the question; is law superseded by grace, or is Old Testament law continued in its prior form? In your not-denomination's exegesis, of course.

Hebrews 8:13
2 Corinthians 3:6
Romans 2:29
Stand with Assad!

Lyras
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 26, 2004
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lyras » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:21 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Gim wrote:

I think the book is a parable, like what Jesus used, with the Good Samaritan and all that.

This is a fairly orthodox theological viewpoint, aye. Job is allegory, broadly speaking. Authoritative, in its own way, but allegorical, meant to teach ethics, not history.
Mokastana: Then Lyras happened.

Allanea: Wanting to avoid fighting Lyras' fuck-huge military is also a reasonable IC consideration

TPF: Who is stupid enough to attack a Lyran convoy?

Sumer: Honestly, I'd rather face Doom's military with Doom having a 3-1 advantage over me, than take a 1-1 fight with a well-supplied Lyran tank unit.

Kinsgard: RL Lyras is like a real life video game character.

Ieperithem: Eighty four. Eighty four percent of their terrifyingly massive GDP goes directly into their military. And they actually know how to manage it. It's safe to say there isn't a single nation that could feasibly stand against them if they wanted it to die.
Yikes. Just... Yikes.

Lyran Arms - Lambda Financial - Foreign Holdings - Tracker - Photo - OOC sentiments

Morr
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Morr » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:22 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Gim wrote:

Most of the OT should be read tropologically.
Stand with Assad!

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:42 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Gim wrote:

Couldn't the entire Bible be held as a parable?
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:47 pm

Czechanada wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Couldn't the entire Bible be held as a parable?

Not as a Christian, no. And I'm pretty sure that the founding and early workings of the church are not what you'd put in parables.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:48 pm

Morr wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Most of the OT should be read tropologically.

Eh, I wouldn't quit go that far.

Morr
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Morr » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:53 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Morr wrote:Most of the OT should be read tropologically.

I would. To me, Passover was a celebration of what was to come more than a celebration of what happened. Christ fulfilled the Passover, the prior stories and celebration were a herald of Christ's coming. All of the righteous Jews before Christ found salvation through Christ.
Stand with Assad!

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:26 pm

Morr wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

I would. To me, Passover was a celebration of what was to come more than a celebration of what happened. Christ fulfilled the Passover, the prior stories and celebration were a herald of Christ's coming. All of the righteous Jews before Christ found salvation through Christ.

That doesn't seem very logical to say. I mean let's check out psalm 119, the longest chapter in the Bible. The Psalmist doesn't actually mention anything about Salvation through Christ but rather the benefits of the Law.

You can tout your believe that the righteous of the Old Testament had faith in Christ, but there is simply no logical evidence to support that fact.
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Morr
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Morr » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:31 pm

Menassa wrote:
Morr wrote:I would. To me, Passover was a celebration of what was to come more than a celebration of what happened. Christ fulfilled the Passover, the prior stories and celebration were a herald of Christ's coming. All of the righteous Jews before Christ found salvation through Christ.

That doesn't seem very logical to say. I mean let's check out psalm 119, the longest chapter in the Bible. The Psalmist doesn't actually mention anything about Salvation through Christ but rather the benefits of the Law.

You can tout your believe that the righteous of the Old Testament had faith in Christ, but there is simply no logical evidence to support that fact.

Christ was the fulfillment of Law. Christ is God's Word made flesh.
Stand with Assad!

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:32 pm

Morr wrote:
Menassa wrote:That doesn't seem very logical to say. I mean let's check out psalm 119, the longest chapter in the Bible. The Psalmist doesn't actually mention anything about Salvation through Christ but rather the benefits of the Law.

Christ was the fulfillment of Law. Christ is God's Word made flesh.

I do not believe there was anything the Law that needed fulfilling.
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General