NATION

PASSWORD

Indiana Religious Freedom Restoration Act

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you approve of the new act?

Yes
30%
No
70%

Total votes : 227

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:56 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:
I guess jim should have thought it through. although Colorado did recently rule that you don't have to make hateful cakes. that might pertain. otherwise as long as these virulent Nazis can behave themselves politely I guess that poor jim is going to have to abide by his "we'll make anything you want" policy and just be happy that it wasn't a cake of a woman peeing while holding a Nazi flag.

It'll be a swastika cake made entirely of bacon. With a tiny replica of Auschwitz on top.

poor jim is gonna get skewered by his own policy. I guess he will have to shut down and re-open with a rational cake-making policy.

damn those polite Nazis!
whatever

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:01 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Patridam wrote:
I was pointing out the unfairness of forcing someone to participate/contribute to a cause counter to their own beliefs. A Jew being legally bound to support a Nazi event seemed a decent enough comparison to a fundamentalist christian being legally bound to support a gay marriage event.

ya but "jim" wouldn't be supporting the event. he would be making a nice profit off people too stupid to realize that they are supporting a jewish baker.

You statist! Forcing Jim to make a profit!
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:42 pm

Arkansas now has an RFRA law.

Because Hutchinson asked for changes near the end of the legislative session, the deadline had passed for a new bill to be filed. To amend the bill, legislators took two other bills with similar titles, stripped the original text and wrote the needed amendments. One of the bills used had originally had been filed for the purpose to protect Arkansans from Sharia law.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:45 pm

Ailiailia wrote:Arkansas now has an RFRA law.

Because Hutchinson asked for changes near the end of the legislative session, the deadline had passed for a new bill to be filed. To amend the bill, legislators took two other bills with similar titles, stripped the original text and wrote the needed amendments. One of the bills used had originally had been filed for the purpose to protect Arkansans from Sharia law.

It's funny when states with no realistic probability of a Muslim majority, much less a fundamentalist Muslim majority in their government are so scared of Sharia law they have to pre-emptively ban them.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:43 am

Gauthier wrote:

It's funny when states with no realistic probability of a Muslim majority, much less a fundamentalist Muslim
majority in their government are so scared of Sharia law they have to pre-emptively ban them.

It's very silly.
I'm guessing it didn't actually become a law though.

These are the droids you're looking for.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Patridam
Negotiator

Founded: May 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Patridam » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:20 am

Gauthier wrote:It's funny when states with no realistic probability of a Muslim majority, much less a fundamentalist Muslim majority in their government are so scared of Sharia law they have to pre-emptively ban them.

It certainly seems silly now, but honestly who knows what the majority will be in America in 75-100 years. It looks like Hispanics will displace non-Hispanic Caucasians as the ethno-racial majority within the next 20-30 years, and I'm certain no one would've foreseen that in 1930.

It's very silly.
I'm guessing it didn't actually become a law though.

These are the droids you're looking for.

So it's just a ten commandments monument on government property? Are people up in arms about this law, too?
Last edited by Patridam on Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lassiez Faire Capitalist / Libertarian
Past-Tech (1950s-1980s)

_[' ]_

Republican
White male, 24 yrs old
Michigan, USA
ISTJ
(-_Q)

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:37 am

Gauthier wrote:

It's funny when states with no realistic probability of a Muslim majority, much less a fundamentalist Muslim majority in their government are so scared of Sharia law they have to pre-emptively ban them.

Religion always gives people reasons to act like assholes.
Last edited by The Rich Port on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:44 am

RFRA's are fine with an anti-discrimination clause or another law that cancels out the potential defence, such as in Illinois.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:50 am

Kelinfort wrote:RFRA's are fine with an anti-discrimination clause or another law that cancels out the potential defence, such as in Illinois.

In other words, they're usually not fine. Four states by my count.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_m ... #State_law
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Reli ... with_RFRAs

Combined:

States in green have RFRA's and also laws against discrimination on the basis of sexuality/gender identity.

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:03 am

http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/assembly/ ... Act975.pdf

Text of Arkansas's new law. It's a standard restatement of the Federal RFRA, preventing state or local governments from burdening religious expression. Not a big deal.

News reports say the governor signed it. According to the record though it took him 4 days (edit: 2 days plus a weekend).
Last edited by AiliailiA on Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Patridam
Negotiator

Founded: May 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Patridam » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Ailiailia wrote:<snip>

I don't think its fair to consider states that haven't legalized gay marriage as being discriminatory.
Lassiez Faire Capitalist / Libertarian
Past-Tech (1950s-1980s)

_[' ]_

Republican
White male, 24 yrs old
Michigan, USA
ISTJ
(-_Q)

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:54 pm

Gauthier wrote:

What makes it silly is sometimes you need to apply Sharia law in American courts. Say a married couple divorces in Saudi Arabia under sharia law concepts there. Later there is property dispute in the US the court would need to ascertain if they are in fact legally divorced.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:56 pm

Patridam wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:<snip>

I don't think its fair to consider states that haven't legalized gay marriage as being discriminatory.

….why?

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General