NATION

PASSWORD

ISIL Destroying Islamic Sites

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Zakuvia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Zakuvia » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:10 am

I walk into this part of my views on things like a clown wearing his Sunday best through a minefield. I do not support vandalism/pillaging/looting/wanton destruction of culture. Please let this fact be unerringly known.

!BUT!

After ISIS is reduced to its particulate matter by guided missiles, might this brazen and public ruination of culture spark a resurgence in interest in proto-Islamic culture, or at the very least, a revival of cultural artifact creation? As in sculpted art, beautiful mosques, etc?

I've always held this bizarre view that, though I love going to museums, I can't help but feel that they somehow get in the way of progressive art and culture. But again, I would never in my life take an axe to the Mona Lisa or do anything like what's going on in modern Assyria. I'm just trying to find some kind of silver lining.
Balance is important in diets, gymnastics, and governments most of all.
NOW CELEBRATING 10 YEARS OF NS!
-1.12, -0.46

Digital Planets
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Digital Planets » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:11 am

The Archregimancy wrote:
Saiwania wrote:Overwhelming military force is necessary to protect archaeological sites, no major military powers are going to do so because the cost of a massive air and ground campaign is deemed to be more than the ancient artifacts are actually worth in monetary value. The stuff that can be moved can be loaded onto C-17s and flown away from the area of conflict if complete air superiority is maintained and enough ground is physically held to put enemy ground units out of range of threatening any air assets.

I've spent the best part of the last two years working on UNESCO World Heritage sites in the Middle East, and I regret to say that the non-existent military arsenal I keep in my basement storage area isn't really up to the task.

Then you've gotta fix that.
So you decide to open it anyway? What the heck, man?

Romalae
Minister

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Romalae » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:51 am

Hladgos wrote:It makes me extremely unhappy that historical monuments like this are destroyed and we hardly ever hear about it on the news.

Well, it depends what news you're talking about. It's the front page of BBC News right now.
Economic Left/Right: -3.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79

Ideology: somewhere between left-leaning centrism and social democracy
Other: irreligious, white, male

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:00 am

One of the strange things about ISIS is that, unlike most groups responsible for destroying historical sites, they do so both ideologically and indiscriminately; they have said they would destroy even the Kabbah if they reached it (IIRC, their sect holds that religious sites are idolatry). Most groups responsible for the destruction of sites either do so because they are of another religion, or because they tried to use it as protection (e.g. Saddam's forces were stationed on Basra's library during the 2003 war).
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Aethrys
Minister

Founded: Apr 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aethrys » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:22 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The Archregimancy wrote:
I've previously argued that we should consider them to be the Campaign for United Northern Territories of Syria.

You can work out the acronym for yourself.

Arch, I imagine the international archaeology community has brainstormed ways to protect these sites but that there's not much that you can, directly do, right? :/

One could always form a crack team of historians, archaeologists, curators and the like along with paramilitary operators to secure, and if necessary wrest control of these sites from the dirtbags squatting in them, then evaluate them for preservation.
"Concentration of power in a political machine is bad; and an Established Church is only a political machine; it was invented for that; it is nursed, cradled, preserved for that; it is an enemy to human liberty, and does no good which it could not better do in a split-up and scattered condition." - Mark Twain

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:26 am

Hopefully they will be incompetent in their destruction.
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:43 am

I, for one, welcome this destruction.

For too long, archaeologists across the world have had cool jobs (and hats). Not like the rest of us with booooring jobs. This is not fair. By destroying all archaeologistic sites and stuff in the world, the complete and utter unemployment of all archaeologists in the world will be ensured. This will bring them into the fold with the rest of the working population, when they also have to apply for booooring jobs.

Next step: Destroying their hats.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Digital Planets
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Digital Planets » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:46 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:I, for one, welcome this destruction.

For too long, archaeologists across the world have had cool jobs (and hats). Not like the rest of us with booooring jobs. This is not fair. By destroying all archaeologistic sites and stuff in the world, the complete and utter unemployment of all archaeologists in the world will be ensured. This will bring them into the fold with the rest of the working population, when they also have to apply for booooring jobs.

I second the next step.

Next step: Kill the Freeman.
So you decide to open it anyway? What the heck, man?

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:48 am

Zakuvia wrote:I've always held this bizarre view that, though I love going to museums, I can't help but feel that they somehow get in the way of progressive art and culture.

Are you saying, that because we have museums, we're now stuck with Justin Bieber?
The Blaatschapen should resign

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:25 pm

Meh, I think, before destroying the ancient sites, we could at least try to perform some ancient rituals at them to open a dimension portal or unleash an eldritch abomination or something like that. It always works in movies.

EDIT:

I am now picturing a story where a group of Dark Cultists have - after waiting for decades for the stars to reach the right alignment, decades of deception, manipulation, human sacrifices and unspeakable horrors - gathered at the site of a horrible, blasphemous statue of a Great Old One, and are preparing to perform the ritual to set him free after millenia of dark slumber, so that he may rule once more over a realm of chaos and madness...only for a bunch of ISIS dudes to storm the scene with sledgehammers and drills, trying to demolish the statue.
Last edited by Baltenstein on Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Hladgos
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hladgos » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:43 pm

Romalae wrote:
Hladgos wrote:It makes me extremely unhappy that historical monuments like this are destroyed and we hardly ever hear about it on the news.

Well, it depends what news you're talking about. It's the front page of BBC News right now.

Well I haven't heard anything here in Kansas, nor has anyone I've talked to about it known a single thing at all. If normal people don't know about it, word isn't getting out.
Divair wrote:Hladcore.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're a nut. I like that.
Pro: being outside, conserving our Earth, the pursuit of happiness, universal acceptance
Anti: ignorance and intolerance
Life is suffering. Suffering is caused by craving and aversion. Suffering can be overcome and happiness can be attained. Live a moral life.

"Life would be tragic if it weren't funny." -Stephen Hawking

"The purpose of our life is to be happy." -Dali Lama

"If I had no sense of humor, I would have long ago committed suicide." -Gandhi

"Don't worry, be happy!" -Bobby McFerrin

Silly Pride

"No." -Dya

Todlichebujoku
Senator

Founded: Feb 24, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Todlichebujoku » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:12 pm

Hladgos wrote:
Romalae wrote:Well, it depends what news you're talking about. It's the front page of BBC News right now.

Well I haven't heard anything here in Kansas, nor has anyone I've talked to about it known a single thing at all. If normal people don't know about it, word isn't getting out.

It's front and center on the World section of the CNN website. On the front page, the only mention of IS is that they're throwing gay men off roofs.
早晨!ToBu for short.
[violet] wrote:You are my go-to nation for long names.
Oct 16 2018- Indo States wrote:YOU'RE FALSE TOBU
Apr 21 2020- Llalta wrote:omg tobu you’ve literally given me asthma with ur art

Hladgos
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hladgos » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:15 pm

Todlichebujoku wrote:
Hladgos wrote:Well I haven't heard anything here in Kansas, nor has anyone I've talked to about it known a single thing at all. If normal people don't know about it, word isn't getting out.

It's front and center on the World section of the CNN website. On the front page, the only mention of IS is that they're throwing gay men off roofs.

If I don't hear about it from people in the hallway, professors, parents, and coworkers, it really hasn't made itself apparent. I don't doubt that in other places that are more caring than Kansas it's a more well known thing, but I like to compare to things around here often. If the whole world is raving about it, I wouldn't know other than from my periodical checking of news sites and readings of threads here on NS. Colbert Report usually keeps issues in the light, but I haven't been watching it lately. :p
Divair wrote:Hladcore.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're a nut. I like that.
Pro: being outside, conserving our Earth, the pursuit of happiness, universal acceptance
Anti: ignorance and intolerance
Life is suffering. Suffering is caused by craving and aversion. Suffering can be overcome and happiness can be attained. Live a moral life.

"Life would be tragic if it weren't funny." -Stephen Hawking

"The purpose of our life is to be happy." -Dali Lama

"If I had no sense of humor, I would have long ago committed suicide." -Gandhi

"Don't worry, be happy!" -Bobby McFerrin

Silly Pride

"No." -Dya

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:42 pm

The Archregimancy wrote:
Untaroicht wrote:Destroy the past, and you control the future. The Soviets knew that when they tried to stamp out all aspects of Tsarist Russia (including religion), the Khmer Rouge as well, and now ISIS.

That's perhaps slightly misleading when it comes to the Khmer Rouge - they idolised Angkor Wat as a symbol of Khmer ethnic superiority to the extent of putting its silhouette right in the centre of the flag of Democratic Kampuchea. It was the recent past that the Khmer Rouge sought to obliterate; the classical past - especially the Khmer Empire of the 9th through 15th centuries - was something they preferred to appropriate rather than destroy.

You know ISIS is bad when they start pulling shit that even the Khmer Rouge wouldn't do.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:12 pm

So they can go here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaPPhTTGEzQ
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Devvo Mate
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Devvo Mate » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:19 pm

Mate I can tell you right now Archaeology is beyond fucking boring.

Untaroicht
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Untaroicht » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:36 pm

ISIS claims anything from the pre-Islamic era is automatically blasphemous? The Kaaba was originally carved with over 360 idols of arabic pagan gods and spirits.

*grabs sledgehammer*

Let's get to work!
Last edited by Untaroicht on Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NSG's NEW (un)official resident survivalist/doomsday prepper - BURY YOUR SILVER!

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:32 pm

Untaroicht wrote:ISIS claims anything from the pre-Islamic era is automatically blasphemous? The Kaaba was originally carved with over 360 idols of arabic pagan gods and spirits.

*grabs sledgehammer*

Let's get to work!

They actually do want to destroy the Kaaba.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:05 pm

Baltenstein wrote:
Untaroicht wrote:ISIS claims anything from the pre-Islamic era is automatically blasphemous? The Kaaba was originally carved with over 360 idols of arabic pagan gods and spirits.

*grabs sledgehammer*

Let's get to work!

They actually do want to destroy the Kaaba.

Atleast they are honest in their iconoclasm. How long before they burn the Quarans from the era of the Third Caliph?
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 17, 2004
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:08 pm

Devvo Mate wrote:

Mate I can tell you right now Archaeology is beyond fucking boring.

Yeah, right.

Completely dull and a waste of time.

But it's a damned shame that the majority of the general public disagree with us, right?
The above post may or may not be serious.
"For too long, we have been a passive, tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."
North Calaveras wrote:Tagmatium, it was never about pie...

Dakran
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dakran » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:27 pm

Oh... Well shit... Is there going to be anything left in the middle east by the time I get around to visiting cultural sites? This is honestly saddening...

Aethrys wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Arch, I imagine the international archaeology community has brainstormed ways to protect these sites but that there's not much that you can, directly do, right? :/

One could always form a crack team of historians, archaeologists, curators and the like along with paramilitary operators to secure, and if necessary wrest control of these sites from the dirtbags squatting in them, then evaluate them for preservation.

Is this a reference to that WWII movie with the soldiers who's goal was to track stolen art?
Last edited by Dakran on Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trans flag here She/Her
01_EMBASSY_PROPOSE
WHAT WAS WILL BE, WHAT WILL BE WAS, WHAT WAS WILL BE, WHAT WILL BE WAS, WHAT WAS WILL BE, WHAT WILL BE WAS
Baltenstein wrote:Source:
The Turkish minister of Turkishness, Öztürk Türkuglu.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:43 pm

It only solidifies their position as utter barbarians. Literally. They're acting like the Vandals right now.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:44 pm

Dakran wrote:Oh... Well shit... Is there going to be anything left in the middle east by the time I get around to visiting cultural sites? This is honestly saddening...

Well, I assume Israel's sites will still be secure.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

TotallyNotEvilLand
Senator

Founded: May 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby TotallyNotEvilLand » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:45 pm

Goddamn, ISIS. You want to start stealing candy from babies and kicking puppies too? You're already a fucking supervillain organization.
Liquid Wallaby Characters, Updated 4/27 (Rough sketches for Creezul and Kehelli are completed)
If you use the term SJW or 'politically correct' to describe anyone left of center, I'm pretty sure that destroys all of your credibility as an intelligent human being. Quit being a twit and use something other than a buzzword to make your point.
A Moderately-Talented But Very Unreliable Roleplayer
Current flag is Frisk's Unamused Face

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:51 pm

TotallyNotEvilLand wrote:Goddamn, ISIS. You want to start stealing candy from babies and kicking puppies too? You're already a fucking supervillain organization.

Not so much supervillian, just barbarians.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General