NATION

PASSWORD

Lee Kuan Yew Dies

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:30 pm

Bunkeranlage wrote:Nobody said you aren't, but considering he just died, wouldn't it be better to discuss it without telling others that their opinions are bullshit?

Why? I often think people's views are bullshit. Don't try to tell me where I can and cannot explain to them why.

That isn't true; I haven't seen any program giving people special benefits because of their race.

Did I say special treatment? No.

Uh, the fact that it later became an economic powerhouse in just 40 years after said riots? I don't know?

No. Considering that countries like South Korea and Japan have become economic powerhouses in roughly the same time period after having most of their countries destroyed by war, I don't think that Singapore is "unique".

1) Sure it did, but it was still a 3rd World nation.

Not exactly devoid of anything with which to build an economy on now is it?

2) No *self sustaining* military

Shifting the goalposts.

Eh, let's not take into account the squatters, the terrible state of healthcare, the stinky Singapore River and so on.

Hence why I said "for East Asian standards".

I meant for the period of time following independence.

Fine. Enact laws which prevent discrimination and promote the education of other religions and multiculturalism in schools.

Consider the context, where we have 4 to 5 major ethnic groups and over 10 religions crammed into a tiny island of 714 square km.

Wow. Four or five? Outside of Chinese, Malays and Indians, what are these other "major" ethnic groups? As for "over 10 religions", I can find evidence of six plus a substantial portion of non-religious people.

Considering that where I live, we have four major "racial" groups not counting the different ethnic groups within those racial groups. We also have roughly the same number of religions, including the ones you'd find in Singapore, I'd hardly say that Singapore is "unique" in that respect when it comes to building a state with a multiethnic society.

Clearly you've not read the comics section in the Straits Times.

Fairly tame satire.

Again, consider the context in which such laws were implemented; barely out of merger, riots everywhere, numerous types of people crammed together, etc.

And those days are over. Singapore isn't going to tear itself apart as soon as you get rid of them.

So? You insinuate that protests and demonstrations don't happen because of an absence of free speech; I show otherwise.

It's not really a protest if people get together and celebrate who they are.

Because it sounds like many of the people comparing Singapore to the DPRK and such have never spent any time here.

Except that no one has. Singapore is the same kind of authoritarianism like you'd find in places like Fiji: a country open to foreigners but quietly denying their citizens basic human rights.

That's not what I meant.

So what did you mean by "mass extermination"?

Let me guess… America?

Nope. New Zealand. The country that is freer than the "land of the free and the home of the brave".
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:36 pm

The Greater Aryan Race wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:It's like reading from a PAP pamphlet, or listening to one of their robotic politicians repeating why Singapore is an authoritarian state. What are you protecting these things from? Disparaging political views? Transparency? Homosexuals?

Yes obviously people who hold these views are clearly all PAP shills. How dare we entertain such opinions indeed. :roll:

And to entertain your question: political, racial and religious extremism.

The second largest political party in Singapore is hardly "extreme".
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Draakonite
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Draakonite » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:05 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:Except that no one has. Singapore is the same kind of authoritarianism like you'd find in places like Fiji: a country open to foreigners but quietly denying their citizens basic human rights.

Personally i wouldn't count political freedoms as "basic" human rights. Limiting freedom of press, expression and assembly isn't something completely unheard of in "liberal democracies". Of course on a much smaller scale, but still if it has a scale how can you call it basic?

Imyoji
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Imyoji » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:06 pm

Rest in peace, sir.

Honestly if Malaysia had followed Lee's example Malaysia would be oh so much better than it is now. Ish. Sort off.
The Republic of Imyoji ― Emüryürü-ju Miinju
The Harmonious Northern Island

What do you get when you combine pursuits of technological advancements, an appreciation and strong conservation of the natural environment, and a harmony between altruistic communitarianism and state sponsored capitalism?
i am the globalization shill the left and the right warned you about

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:10 pm

He was pretty cool
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:13 pm

That's unfortunate. Even though he was occasionally authoritarian, he essentially succeeded in creating one of the richest countries in the world, essentially from nothing.
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Social Democrat and Progressive.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

Ziegenhain
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ziegenhain » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:33 pm

A good man with good ideas and good policies died. Pretty sad indeed.
wew lad

Factbook: Greater Ziegenian Reich
OOC Dispatch: Here

<Koyro> Putin's immortality is fueled by Obama's tears
<Unolia> Others argue that leagues like the Unolian Handball System, which operates on no subsidization at all and operating so much in the black that Nevanmaa won't let it marry whites, is shining example of Capitalism at work.

The Conez Imperium
Minister

Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:21 pm

Generally positive emotions for the man, it's sad to hear him die. He turned Singapore into an absolutely beautiful country however his authoritarianism leaves a somewhat bitter taste.
Last edited by The Conez Imperium on Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salut tout le monde, c'est moi !

The Greater Aryan Race
Senator

Founded: Mar 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Aryan Race » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:40 am

Geilinor wrote:
The Greater Aryan Race wrote:Yes obviously people who hold these views are clearly all PAP shills. How dare we entertain such opinions indeed. :roll:

And to entertain your question: political, racial and religious extremism.

The second largest political party in Singapore is hardly "extreme".

Neither was my earlier comment directed towards the Worker's Party. I had in mind Marxist, Fascist, ultranationalist, ethnic and religious supremacist political groups and individuals.
Imperium Sidhicum wrote:So, uh... Is this another one of those threads where everyone is supposed to feel outraged and circle-jerk in agreement of how injust and terrible the described incident is?

Because if it is, I'm probably going to say something mean and contrary just to contradict the majority.

This nation is now IC-ly known as the Teutonic Reich.

Seraven
Senator

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Seraven » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:13 am

Imyoji wrote:Rest in peace, sir.

Honestly if Malaysia had followed Lee's example Malaysia would be oh so much better than it is now. Ish. Sort off.

Malaysia is way off the slope now.

The Conez Imperium wrote:Generally positive emotions. He turned Singapore into an absolutely beautiful country however his authoritarianism leaves a somewhat bitter taste.

An authoritarianism rule is needed during the early years of independence.
Copper can change as its quality went down.
Gold can't change, for its quality never went down.
The Alma Mater wrote:
Seraven wrote:I know right! Whites enslaved the natives, they killed them, they converted them forcibly, they acted like a better human beings than the Muslims.

An excellent example of why allowing unrestricted immigration of people with a very different culture might not be the best idea ever :P

Krasny-Volny
Minister

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krasny-Volny » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:38 am

Napkiraly wrote:
Krasny-Volny wrote:I had no idea he was on his way out. RIP.

I've always admired Mr. Lee and his autobiography was one of the first books I purchased when I was first in Singapore, hard to believe it's been almost twenty years now!! Just like Mandela, incredible to think he's gone.

Did you seriously just compare Mandela and Lee Kuan Yew?

Not in terms of politics or impact, no.

But they both rank somewhere on my list of famous Cold War figures that have died in my lifetime.
Krastecexport. Cheap armaments for the budget minded, sold with discretion.

The Conez Imperium
Minister

Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:59 am

Seraven wrote:
The Conez Imperium wrote:Generally positive emotions. He turned Singapore into an absolutely beautiful country however his authoritarianism leaves a somewhat bitter taste.

An authoritarianism rule is needed during the early years of independence.

I agree, he had to use some heavy handed tactics to forge Singapore what it is today. However in saying since Singapore is now a top rate country I don't think its necessary to have the remnants of those heavy handed tactics. It's a sticky situation Singapore are in at the moment as this article I think rather accurately describes it...

On this note however, another marvelous contribution of Mr Lee Kuan Yew was his tight stand on corruption. Corruption stops a nation from progressing and this is something that Lee Kuan Yew knew early on so he put in tough laws and a zero tolerance policy for Singapore.

The major downside of his style of leadership is that it has created a legal and political system in Singapore where it is difficult to protect against future corrupt leaders from implementing policies to benefit themselves legally. Those in power will have quite absolute power and this system only worked when the leader is someone like Lee Kuan Yew.

His nation building must be appreciated. Even those who criticise the detention without trial, his heavy handed tactics, strong control of the media and the limits on civil liberties, should accept that these are what allowed him to shape Singapore so efficiently. It would not have been possible for Mr Lee to build Singapore with his teams' policies without the strong power that these problems allowed him to have.

The question now is whether the same system will work in the future now that the arguably incorruptible Lee Kuan Yew is not in the driver's seat. The system he created, while it worked for him and contributed significantly to Singapore's development during tumultuous times, may not work in the modern world.
Last edited by The Conez Imperium on Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salut tout le monde, c'est moi !

Sandhora
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sandhora » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:26 am

He suppressed freedom of speech and limited the powers of opposition parties... made all the newspapers, radio stations and some tv networks under the control of the his government.. enforce really strict laws and heavy punishments.. a really authoritarian ruler indeed but nevertheless he's still a great leader
"From Madagascar, to Indonesia, Philippines, Taiwan, Melanesia, Hawaii, New Zealand, the rest of Polynesia and all the way to Easter Island, The Island People of the Austronesians are the greatest sea faring people in the world" http://i.imgur.com/f2s7RMH.jpg

I have the best factbook, its true: beautiful

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General